[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Is there no interest in study of the Bible anymore?  (Read 3906 times)

Della

• Jesaus Is Lord!
Is there no interest in study of the Bible anymore?
« on: December 09, 2010, 11:23:16 AM »
I tried to start a bible study with some of my Christian friends, but was surprised to find absolutely no interest at all from any of them for studying the word. They tried to be polite, some said it wasn't really important, only our hearts were, some said they were too busy, others had family issues and some just said they couldn't make it. The pastor is unconcerned and says maybe I can try again next year. What am I to do? Should I leave the Church?

Puritan Heart

Re: Is there no interest in study of the Bible anymore?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 01:18:02 PM »
Matthew 24 v 12: And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.

Hello Della,
I read and re-read what you wrote, and I groaned...tears filled my eyes.  I too have been through this,  and sadly with much sorrow it is that we must acknowledge that even the hearts of those we consider 'christian friends' and oft times, our own loved ones, have hearts that 'wax cold!'  How cold can be the truth of scripture as it evidences itself in our lives, in ways we do not always expect, yes?  Even more sad is that the 'shepherd of the flock' is 'unconcerned' as you say!... I encourage you as a sister in Christ, who knows well how to rely upon the only tools available to me:  my KJV Bible, concordances, copious notes and sermons, some books, online studies and sermons and this wonderful forum, to do all you can, to stay in the Word... study faithfully... meditate on His Loveliness, His Goodness, for it is because of His Infinite Mercy and Abundant Grace alone Della, that you still have the desire for knowledge and understanding through the study of His Holy Word.  I grieve when I read threads like this, BUT, we can truely rejoice - REJOICE, for without doubt, CHRIST IS COMING BACK! 

You asked 'what am I to do? Should I leave the Church?'  Dear Della, when one is hungry - one must eat, yes?  Their courtesies and politeness will NEVER feed you, and rightly so, and so too should never ever appease your hunger or quench your thirst for more of Him!  Might be that now is the time for you to leave! 

I encourage you with these beautiful words:

Psalms 23 1 - The LORD [is] my shepherd; I shall not want.

So simple the words, but I send these to you as one who has personally experienced and lives the powerful manifestation of every word in my life, every single day!  He causes the hunger and thirst for more of Him,  to grow exponentially.

Matthew 5 v 6: Blessed [are] they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

and as the very beautiful hymn says:  What a Friend we have in Jesus....

Oh, what a friend indeed.

I shall pray for you  :)
Alexandra
Psalm 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Harold

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 06:34:02 PM »

I would say run from that Church as fast as you can. A Church that has no passion for the word of God is not a Church I would want to belong to. The only way you should stay is if the leadership is working to bring the Church back to faithfulness. Otherwise, it is time to find another home.

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 05:34:31 AM »
>>>
I tried to start a bible study with some of my Christian friends, but was surprised to find absolutely no interest at all from any of them for studying the word.
<<<

This is a problem that is almost universal in our day. Given the complete absence of a emphasis on, or a concern for holding sound doctrine by Ministers in the church today, is it any surprise that there is no interest in Bible study from most Christians? Generally speaking, sermons today are all about entertainment, worldly charity (not agape), physical prosperity, politics, social concerns and frivolity. Unfortunately, many make Christianity all about physical blessings, themselves and the world view. It's usually not the things that God deems important. We're supposed to seek greater things than these.

Matthew 6:32-33
  • "(For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
  • But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."

It's true that a lot of Christians today covet all the same things that the unbelievers seek after. Less taxes, a safe world, a good education, abundance of food, drink, physical prosperity, and to address the world's social concerns. They seek all these things as their first love, because most professing Christians are in fact in love with the world first, rather than are "set apart" as a special people from it. The proof is they just can't seem to separate themselves or let the world go. Like Lot's wife, they're always looking back at the world they supposedly left behind. God has decreed that we are to be different from the world, and to put Him as our first love. Somehow it seems this edict hasn't filtered through to the house of God. Our desire should be towards Him, in seeking first the things of the Kingdom, not to desire, envy and be just like all the people of this world. The reality is, God is just a afterthought for most "professing" Christians, not their first love.

Psalms 119:14-16
  • "I have rejoiced in the way of thy testimonies, as much as in all riches.
  • I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways.
  • I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word."

This is what the thoughts of the children of God should be. But instead of meditating on God's word, they meditate on the nightly news, politics, worldly security, education and position. They are most concerned for their positions in life or how to make more money. They have the utmost respect for man's words and theories and have forgotten God's precepts on living for the kingdom.  It has been well said that the elect stand far off and mourn for the church because its priorities have been toward the world, revealed in the cold condition of their hearts.

>>>
They tried to be polite, some said it wasn't really important, only our hearts were, some said they were too busy, others had family issues and some just said they couldn't make it.
<<<

We've all heard that line before, or at least some version of it. To justify their neglect they often say things like, "God knows what's in my heart," or "it's about what's in the heart, not doctrine." And the really sad part is, they are absolutely right. God does know what is in the heart, even when they do not! And when we do not hold fast our profession as God instructed, but set our hearts on things of this world, do we really believe that this reality is hid from an omniscient God? No, because the word reveals it, even the very word that they have no time for meditating on. That word will cut them to the quick.

Hebrews 4:12-14
  • "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
  • Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of Him with whom we have to do.
  • Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession."

The mystery to them is that they do not comprehend that they are not holding fast the profession of faith. You say you are "surprised" to find absolutely no interest at all from any of them for studying the word? But I find it not really surprising at all. On the contrary, that is normal for the professing Christians today. They not only neglect any promotion or emphasis on Bible study and sound unadulterated doctrine, but they also have a certain disdain for Christians who do. They often take offense at "witness of the word" and call it judgmental, and they claim we are causing divisions by testifying to what God says. When did God's unadulterated word become unloving or legalistic? They don't want to be bothered, instructed, corrected, they want to live like the world without redress from God's witnesses. They want to be stroked and told how they preach the truth in love, and their mission is to not offend anyone. ...as if that were possible with God's word! And of course, in their abject lukewarmness, the Messengers, Pastors and Ministers give them exactly what they want. When will we ever learn that there are consequences to God's congregations for such unfaithfulness.

Isaiah 30:9-13
  • "That this is a rebellious people, lying children, children that will not hear the law of the LORD:
  • Which say to the seers, See not; and to the prophets, Prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits:
  • Get you out of the way, turn aside out of the path, cause the Holy One of Israel to cease from before us.
  • Wherefore thus saith the Holy One of Israel, Because ye despise this word, and trust in oppression and perverseness, and stay thereon:
  • Therefore this iniquity shall be to you as a breach ready to fall, swelling out in a high wall, whose breaking cometh suddenly at an instant."

When you love the word, you want or desire to read and grow from it. When you love your wife, you pay attention to her. When you love your children you pay attention to them to raise and care for them. ...it's not rocket science! They do not actually love the word when they have a bible that is dust covered and neglected. I actually know one person who told me she was a Christian, but hadn't read the Bible in years. But as faithful Christians, by the Spirit in us, we should have a fervent and earnest desire to search the word, and to keep it always near our hearts.

Psalms 119:10-11
  • "With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments.
  • Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee."

This is the mindset of the true Christian. Not the modernistic church philosophy that, "it's not important because God knows my heart," or "I don't need to be work in the Bible because that's legalistic," or "I'm just to busy."  The end of that last comment is ...with the world.

Psalms 119:102-104
  • "I have not departed from thy judgments: for thou hast taught me.
  • How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
  • Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way."

Modern Christianity doesn't hate every false way, they hate those who bring to light every false way. They despise what the word "actually" says, and joy in private interpretations of what it means. They resent correction, and are weary of instruction in righteousness. Bottom line, they are bored with the study of the word. What the modern Christians have done is to craft their own brand of a gospel, which is made in their own carnal/beastly image. It is a gospel completely devoid of ever saying anything negative about man's sins, false doctrines in the church or the judgments that God has set forth. The church today is one massive Love-Fest of unbelievers singing and stomping in the aisles oblivious to the condition of the heart. They don't perceive Christ's love that we are to have for an enemy, instead their love for unbelievers is as friends or brethren. And yes, there is a difference. And the fact that they don't know this, is the problem.

>>>
The pastor is unconcerned and says maybe I can try again next year. What am I to do? Should I leave the Church?
<<<

Jeremiah 12:10-11
  • "Many pastors have destroyed my vineyard, they have trodden my portion under foot, they have made my pleasant portion a desolate wilderness.
  • They have made it desolate, and being desolate it mourneth unto me; the whole land is made desolate, because no man layeth it to heart."

What is today, has been before so that there is nothing new under the sun. I can't tell you what to do. You must follow the word of God in accordance with His instructions when abominations stand in the holy place. If the church is dead, you should leave it. If the church despises the word, you should leave it. If the church has a form of Godliness, but denies the power thereof, you should leave it. If the leadership there is devoid of the Spirit and doctrines of God, you should leave it. Do not remain in a church that is unfaithful, is privately interpreting and has man ruling there as if he were God. If Christ is not there, you should not be there.

Matthew 10:12-14
  • "And when ye come into an house, salute it."
  • And if the house be worthy, let your peace come upon it: but if it be not worthy, let your peace return to you.
  • And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet."

Do not cast your pearls before swine. If a "professing" church doesn't hear the word of God, then how is it the house of God? That is to say, if they won't hear God's word not your words, there is a difference.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Betty

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 12:57:21 PM »

The bible is just a book. You can study until you have a headache, but that won't help what is in your heart. It is what is in your heart that counts. Love conquers all. The scribes and Pharisees read the book all day long, but it could not save them. Right? It's not about a book, but about love.

Pearson

• Conformed by the Blood
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 02:29:55 PM »

The bible is just a book. You can study until you have a headache, but that won't help what is in your heart. It is what is in your heart that counts. Love conquers all. The scribes and Pharisees read the book all day long, but it could not save them. Right? It's not about a book, but about love.

[Soapbox mode on]

You see, that's your problem Betty. And not just you, but a lot of other Christians as well. You look at the bible as just a Book, when in fact it is the living word of God, put to paper. Not just words, but infallible words from God's mouth. Once you realize that, get back to me with questions that can be answered if you accept what is written.

Just My two cents

[Soapbox mode off]

Penne

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 04:22:34 PM »

Oh yes, the Bible is so much more than just a book. 

John
1  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
14  And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Hebrews 4:12
  "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."

Red

• Galatians 2:16
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 07:24:09 PM »
>>>
I tried to start a bible study with some of my Christian friends, but was surprised to find absolutely no interest at all from any of them for studying the word.
<<<

This is a problem that is almost universal in our day. Given the complete absence of a emphasis on, or a concern for holding sound doctrine by Ministers in the church today, is it any surprise that there is no interest in Bible study from most Christians? Generally speaking, sermons today are all about entertainment, worldly charity (not agape), physical prosperity, politics, social concerns and frivolity. Unfortunately, many make Christianity all about physical blessings, themselves and the world view. It's usually not the things that God deems important. We're supposed to seek greater things than these.

Matthew 6:32-33
  • "(For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
  • But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."

It's true that a lot of Christians today covet all the same things that the unbelievers seek after. Less taxes, a safe world, a good education, abundance of food, drink, physical prosperity, and to address the world's social concerns. They seek all these things as their first love, because most professing Christians are in fact in love with the world first, rather than are "set apart" as a special people from it. The proof is they just can't seem to separate themselves or let the world go. Like Lot's wife, they're always looking back at the world they supposedly left behind. God has decreed that we are to be different from the world, and to put Him as our first love. Somehow it seems this edict hasn't filtered through to the house of God. Our desire should be towards Him, in seeking first the things of the Kingdom, not to desire, envy and be just like all the people of this world. The reality is, God is just a afterthought for most "professing" Christians, not their first love.

Psalms 119:14-16
  • "I have rejoiced in the way of thy testimonies, as much as in all riches.
  • I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways.
  • I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word."

This is what the thoughts of the children of God should be. But instead of meditating on God's word, they meditate on the nightly news, politics, worldly security, education and position. They are most concerned for their positions in life or how to make more money. They have the utmost respect for man's words and theories and have forgotten God's precepts on living for the kingdom.  It has been well said that the elect stand far off and mourn for the church because its priorities have been toward the world, revealed in the cold condition of their hearts.

>>>
They tried to be polite, some said it wasn't really important, only our hearts were, some said they were too busy, others had family issues and some just said they couldn't make it.
<<<

We've all heard that line before, or at least some version of it. To justify their neglect they often say things like, "God knows what's in my heart," or "it's about what's in the heart, not doctrine." And the really sad part is, they are absolutely right. God does know what is in the heart, even when they do not! And when we do not hold fast our profession as God instructed, but set our hearts on things of this world, do we really believe that this reality is hid from an omniscient God? No, because the word reveals it, even the very word that they have no time for meditating on. That word will cut them to the quick.

Hebrews 4:12-14
  • "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
  • Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of Him with whom we have to do.
  • Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession."

The mystery to them is that they do not comprehend that they are not holding fast the profession of faith. You say you are "surprised" to find absolutely no interest at all from any of them for studying the word? But I find it not really surprising at all. On the contrary, that is normal for the professing Christians today. They not only neglect any promotion or emphasis on Bible study and sound unadulterated doctrine, but they also have a certain disdain for Christians who do. They often take offense at "witness of the word" and call it judgmental, and they claim we are causing divisions by testifying to what God says. When did God's unadulterated word become unloving or legalistic? They don't want to be bothered, instructed, corrected, they want to live like the world without redress from God's witnesses. They want to be stroked and told how they preach the truth in love, and their mission is to not offend anyone. ...as if that were possible with God's word! And of course, in their abject lukewarmness, the Messengers, Pastors and Ministers give them exactly what they want. When will we ever learn that there are consequences to God's congregations for such unfaithfulness.

Isaiah 30:9-13
  • "That this is a rebellious people, lying children, children that will not hear the law of the LORD:
  • Which say to the seers, See not; and to the prophets, Prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits:
  • Get you out of the way, turn aside out of the path, cause the Holy One of Israel to cease from before us.
  • Wherefore thus saith the Holy One of Israel, Because ye despise this word, and trust in oppression and perverseness, and stay thereon:
  • Therefore this iniquity shall be to you as a breach ready to fall, swelling out in a high wall, whose breaking cometh suddenly at an instant."

When you love the word, you want or desire to read and grow from it. When you love your wife, you pay attention to her. When you love your children you pay attention to them to raise and care for them. ...it's not rocket science! They do not actually love the word when they have a bible that is dust covered and neglected. I actually know one person who told me she was a Christian, but hadn't read the Bible in years. But as faithful Christians, by the Spirit in us, we should have a fervent and earnest desire to search the word, and to keep it always near our hearts.

Psalms 119:10-11
  • "With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments.
  • Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee."

This is the mindset of the true Christian. Not the modernistic church philosophy that, "it's not important because God knows my heart," or "I don't need to be work in the Bible because that's legalistic," or "I'm just to busy."  The end of that last comment is ...with the world.

Psalms 119:102-104
  • "I have not departed from thy judgments: for thou hast taught me.
  • How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
  • Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way."

Modern Christianity doesn't hate every false way, they hate those who bring to light every false way. They despise what the word "actually" says, and joy in private interpretations of what it means. They resent correction, and are weary of instruction in righteousness. Bottom line, they are bored with the study of the word. What the modern Christians have done is to craft their own brand of a gospel, which is made in their own carnal/beastly image. It is a gospel completely devoid of ever saying anything negative about man's sins, false doctrines in the church or the judgments that God has set forth. The church today is one massive Love-Fest of unbelievers singing and stomping in the aisles oblivious to the condition of the heart. They don't perceive Christ's love that we are to have for an enemy, instead their love for unbelievers is as friends or brethren. And yes, there is a difference. And the fact that they don't know this, is the problem.

>>>
The pastor is unconcerned and says maybe I can try again next year. What am I to do? Should I leave the Church?
<<<

Jeremiah 12:10-11
  • "Many pastors have destroyed my vineyard, they have trodden my portion under foot, they have made my pleasant portion a desolate wilderness.
  • They have made it desolate, and being desolate it mourneth unto me; the whole land is made desolate, because no man layeth it to heart."

What is today, has been before so that there is nothing new under the sun. I can't tell you what to do. You must follow the word of God in accordance with His instructions when abominations stand in the holy place. If the church is dead, you should leave it. If the church despises the word, you should leave it. If the church has a form of Godliness, but denies the power thereof, you should leave it. If the leadership there is devoid of the Spirit and doctrines of God, you should leave it. Do not remain in a church that is unfaithful, is privately interpreting and has man ruling there as if he were God. If Christ is not there, you should not be there.

Matthew 10:12-14
  • "And when ye come into an house, salute it."
  • And if the house be worthy, let your peace come upon it: but if it be not worthy, let your peace return to you.
  • And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet."

Do not cast your pearls before swine. If a "professing" church doesn't hear the word of God, then how is it the house of God? That is to say, if they won't hear God's word not your words, there is a difference.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

AMEN! DEAR BROTHER
"And he shewed me a pure river of water, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb."~Revelation 22:1

In the world to come~there WILL BE "pure pleasures"~river/tree=all that is needed to sustain us Forever! Joy, peace, contentment in its fullest, etc.

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 10:11:34 AM »
It really disappointed me to  hear Betty to claim that the Holy Bible, a REAL Living Word of God, is just a book.  Its all about love and fellowship that matters to her.  Praying for her!

Erik
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

John

• Gold Member
  • A man with God is always in the majority-John Knox
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 07:47:12 PM »
The bible is just a book. You can study until you have a headache, but that won't help what is in your heart.

The viewpoint - that what matters most is 'love' and not 'law', that the Bible divides and the important thing is to love just about everything - i'd judge this to be the sometimes expressed but often hidden viewpoint of most professing Christians in the church today. They don't care for Bible study because they don't need it. The conclusion reached from within their empty heads becomes the norm for acceptable practice. And since it agrees with their expectation for the conclusion of any matter, as it must originating from their own minds, it is deemed correct and truth. For they find great contentment and peace of mind in agreeing with themselves. Homosexuality - no problem, we shouldn't judge. Divorce - no problem, God doesn't want us to be unhappy. Remarriage - do it if it makes you happy. Disciplining children - obviously unloving and therefore a wickedness, and on and on.

Every thought is not circumscribed by God's will by comparing it with God's word, but rather everything is considered in light of self and what 'feels' good. If it feels good then that is love. If it feels unloving then it is evil. Or to say it slightly differently, whatever God says is only true if the over-inflated ego agrees with it - which it can't fail to since it loves itself beyond all other things. For the bottom line for the majority of professing Christians who follow the so-called 'rule of love' position is really the self-rule of inflated pride that sits as a god replacing the law of God and judges with the law of ego.

There should be no wondering why pastors and well-meaning Christians can't get a Bible study together to save their lives. Even if you could get a room full of this type of person, the hermeneutic method would involve only "what does this verse mean to me", not "what does God intend it to mean". Yes, God says homosexuality is an abomination but .... and so begins the pagan rationalization why this sin is really okay and how unloving and judgmental those legalistic Christians are. And so it goes with any Biblical topic selected, "well, to me it means this or that" - "we shouldn't judge" - "we must 'love' and not be critical of others", so that the god of self rises up to supplant the true God in all things. That is called 'loving'.

There is no reasoning with these ones for they wake up in the morning knowing they are right. They are little swayed by Scripture - in fact, Scripture is to them another gospel. It is without purpose unless it can be contextually ripped apart to serve the wickedness of glorifying self and the prideful thoughts of men (and women).

john
Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!

Red

• Galatians 2:16
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 06:00:34 AM »
ALL of God's children said~AMEN!
"And he shewed me a pure river of water, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb."~Revelation 22:1

In the world to come~there WILL BE "pure pleasures"~river/tree=all that is needed to sustain us Forever! Joy, peace, contentment in its fullest, etc.

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • 🌴"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. -Psalm 52:8"
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 08:43:12 AM »
The bible is just a book.

If it is just a book, why do you call yourself Christian? Surely you don't believe a plain book true that claims a man the son of God? Why do you follow Christ if it's just a book? That comment makes no sense. Unless it really is just a book to you, because that would explain why you don't believe it and why you feel safe in contradicting it so much. But it doesn't explain why you still call yourself Christian. Can you enlighten us?

You can study until you have a headache, but that won't help what is in your heart.

Who says? Study has helped me because it has brought my heart to understanding God's testimony.

Make me to go in the path of thy commandments; for therein do I delight. Incline my heart unto thy testimonies, and not to covetousness. Psalms 119:25-26"

It is what is in your heart that counts.

Did you read Tony's post? What's in man's heart is desperately wicked. So if that counts, we are doomed.

Love conquers all.

God's love, not yours.

The scribes and Pharisees read the book all day long, but it could not save them. Right?

Because they read it like you, with the idea that it was just a book and therefore had no power. We read it like it is the word of God, and as such has power.

It's not about a book, but about love.

Without the book, you don't even know what love is. You'd think of it as a feeling or a affection. Like you might love ice cream.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]