[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Is Watching Television A Sin?  (Read 18540 times)

bloodstone

• I'm a llama!
Re: Is Watching Television A Sin?
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2015, 01:11:06 PM »
"Television is a medium, rarely well done."  ;)

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2015, 11:11:09 AM »

"Television is a medium, rarely well done."  ;)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:   Sooooo true!

Gerry

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2017, 12:11:27 AM »

This thread may be a little old, but I find it topical today and very interesting. But I would like to know specifically why so many of you think watching Television  is contrary to scripture? Since I watch some TV which I don't think is sinful, I would like to know why you think it is.

Alex Rowland

• The PuritanBoard
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2017, 11:34:18 AM »
we don't, at least not all of us. I certainly don't. Like anything else, it must be done in moderation, and by controlling what we and our children watch. Saying TV is sinful is like saying eating is sinful. It all depends on how much you eat. Same with watching TV.

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2017, 09:06:25 AM »
>>>
This thread may be a little old, but I find it topical today and very interesting. But I would like to know specifically why so many of you think watching Television is contrary to scripture? Since I watch some TV which I don't think is sinful, I would like to know why you think it is.
<<<

No, watching TV in and of itself is not a sin, but nearly everyone sins watching TV.

Of course, that's not something we all want to hear.

Matthew 18:9
  • "And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire."

In other words, if watching television causes you to sin or to stumble, or others around you to sin or to stumble, better to remove that from your orbit.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Diane Moody

• The Kingdom is Within You
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2017, 11:45:40 PM »

No, watching TV in and of itself is not a sin, but nearly everyone sins watching TV.

Of course, that's not something we all want to hear.

:Goodpoint:

Jeff

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2017, 04:13:27 AM »

As they say, "true dat"

Brian

« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2017, 09:58:05 AM »

An excellent article on this subject is by John Piper.

Why I Don't Have a Television and Rarely Go to Movies

http://www.truthaccordingtoscripture.com/documents/articles/tv-john-piper.php

Apostolic

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2017, 01:27:59 AM »
I don't know about you guys and gals, but I can watch TV without sinning.

I Cor. 15:34 "Awake to righteousness, and sin not;"

Frank Mortimer

« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2017, 05:30:15 AM »

So you're the ONE?

Reformed Baptist

• Reformed Baptists
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2017, 05:50:04 PM »

So you're the ONE?

:) I am thoroughly convinced that anyone who says that they "never" sin by watching TV is not fully aware of what sin is.

1 John 1:8King James Version (KJV)

8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2017, 04:07:05 AM »
>>>
  So you're the ONE?

:) I am thoroughly convinced that anyone who says that they "never" sin by watching TV is not fully aware of what sin is.
<<<

...and all God's people said,  A M E N !

Scotty

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2017, 01:38:07 PM »
My first day here and first post.
   I was searching the Bing for information on the image of the beast and finally came upon this thread. Can I assume that some of you think that television is the image of the beast since so many worship it? I had a thought that Television fits its description. Don't we all in some way worship the television set? In fact, we can't do without it. It's where we get our news, morality, education, it teaches our children and picks our rulers. Wouldn't the world have been a better place without the invention of Television?

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2017, 02:18:36 PM »

Welcome Scotty to Mountain Retreat.
Quote from: Scotty
Can I assume that some of you think that television is the image of the beast since so many worship it? I had a thought that Television fits its description.

The image of the beast is not a physical object.  The television and of itself is not evil.  Just because some people watching something that does not glorify God does not qualifies their televisions as the image of the beast of Revelation 13.  There are Godly people who uses television to listen to sermons, for DIY projects, etc.  By the way, I do believe that the television is losing its glory to mobile phones where almost everyone are using it to watch same TV shows, social media, chat, shopping, gaming, reservation, etc. It is people who abused their mobile phones for their sinful desire, but that does not means the mobile phones are the image of the beast, too.   

In order to know what is the image of the beast, we need to understand who are the beast of Revelation 13.  I suggest that you read the following link below and read couple of posts wrote by Tony Warren. Please feel free to ask more questions. 

The Image of the Beast
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Halle

• "Because He Lives"
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2017, 01:55:48 AM »
My first day here and first post.
:welcome:

Don't we all in some way worship the television set? In fact, we can't do without it. It's where we get our news, morality, education, it teaches our children and picks our rulers.

I believe that TV is a image or likeness of the Beast, but it is not the image of the beast. I believe that there is a difference. It is a likeness of the Beast for all the reasons you listed and more. From reading the thread I think that most of us recognize the images and evil portrayed on TV for what it is As for worship, I believe that anything evil that we cannot give up is a form of idolatry and worship.

Wouldn't the world have been a better place without the invention of Television?

:thinker: That's a very good question. I'm leaning toward saying yes. It's debatable though. There is very little good come from it as compared to the evil, so yeah!

Also, I would say the mobile phone, computers and TV are synonymous for this question.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]