[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Is Watching Television A Sin?  (Read 18523 times)

Maurice

Re: Is Watching Television A Sin?
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2011, 08:03:00 AM »

That's crazy. How can watching an inanimate object be a sin?  The sin, if there is any, is in you, not in watching television. I don't think that TV has hurt anyone, I think it is a convenient target for people who don't like progress.

Trotter

• "We are The Light of the World"
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2011, 10:00:57 AM »

That's crazy. How can watching an inanimate object be a sin?

Really? Then how could bowing down to an inanimate object like an Idol have been sin? But it was because the sin is in us being deceived by it, not the object itself. Whether idolizing a TV or a image of stone, the principle is the same.

The sin, if there is any, is in you, not in watching television.

That doesn't make sense, since you are the "one watching TV." So you and watching, go hand in hand.

I don't think that TV has hurt anyone, I think it is a convenient target for people who don't like progress.

TV has hurt everyone in that it is a brain-washer. It acclimates us to sin.  And if we don't know that by now, we have our heads stuck in the sand.

midas

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2011, 11:19:13 AM »
•  A TV set in itself doesn't know the difference between good and bad - however a Christian does
•  It's what you watch - Cooking Shows vs Dracula Movie
•  How much time do you watch TV vs reading the Bible

I don’t think watching TV is a sin every time you turn it on – just like the computer, internet, reading books and telephone - It depends on what you are using these for. There can be sin in all of these or good in all of these depending on your “reason”.

Romans 12:2  And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2011, 05:51:21 AM »

That's crazy. How can watching an inanimate object be a sin?  The sin, if there is any, is in you, not in watching television. I don't think that TV has hurt anyone, I think it is a convenient target for people who don't like progress.

How can it be sin? The same way looking at a nude picture can be sin.

Mt 5:27  Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
 28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
 29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

It's the "eye" that needs to be plucked out, and God isn't talking about physically. We need to sacrifice, give up that thing that is causing us to sin. In this case, 90 percent of TV.

More than an addiction, the incessant watching of TV is most times a temptation and journey into idolatry. Television is the new method of idolatry where we can hide behind the black box and entertain our carnality, our hate, greed, lusts, pride, discontentment and glory in others pretending that it is not us.

The proof that we are addicted to it is that we cannot give it up, even when we know we are watching trash 90 percent of the time. And by our addiction to it, we confess that we are slaves to it, to serve it as master. That is why so few Christians will admit that they are addicted to TV. They pretend like they're watching cartoons and all educational programs. That's nonsense! It is just like with smoking cigarettes, they will claim they can stop watching it any time they want. But like cigarettes, if they really can, why don't they? Because they really enjoy it too much.

They delude themselves while this little box controls their lives. How do you think there is so much acceptance of the pervasive sexual freedom in the world? Or how do you think our children got to be the way they are today? So immoral, disrespectful of parents, the liberal ideas and fads? They were tempted and drawn away by what they see and hear on Television. Children cannot watch this garbage day in and day out and not be influenced by it.

Why do you think God told the Israelites to separate themselves from the other worldly nations? So they would not be seduced by their ways and their gods. Christians are so naive and foolish today. Both parents go off to work allowing TV and liberal day care centers to train their children. Rather than be parents, they choose to covet position and station in life. The only way out of this temptation and idolatry is through sacrifice. If thine eye offends thee, pluck it out! And that comes only through Christ.

1Co 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
 14 Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry.

Separate yourselves from idolatry. Don't show your children the lusts of the flesh. Because Television is an evil box that can convince even the most adult and intelligent person to believe things their trust meter would normally alert them as being ridiculous. Evolution, Confusion, Mean-spirited, Promiscuity, Self-centeredness, Homosexuality, Disrespect, overindulgence, spoiled children, dishonest and lazy are  prime examples of the evils that have been brought to the forefront by TV. We've been so conditioned to it by television that I've even heard Reformed Christians "right here" who you would think would normally be on God's side of the issue, give place, credence and credibility to partial acceptance of all these issues. From sympathy for homosexuality (which God abhors), to resignation that there will be sex before marriage, to questioning the original one man Adam design as maybe being "through" evolution. Right here from what would normally be considered biblical Christians are those who have been slowly seduced by these TV programs. They were all influenced by the growing cancer eating away at God and morality. And just like in the flesh, generally people don't realize they have the cancer until it is to late.

Would I eliminate it all together? Probably not. But Christians need to get a grip on on that monstrosity in their homes. For themselves, but especially if they have impressionable children in the house. And not worry about being archaic. By grace of God your children will thank you for it when they are grown. And if not, God's will be done in all things.

Sportsnut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2011, 11:53:09 AM »

My unsaved friends decry it, but my Christian friends do not.  Listen to this guy Jerry Mills, who's not even christian.

http://www.jerrymills.com/ss_ll2_tv.html

Strange how unsaved people can generally see it, but most Christians cannot. Kinda backward, isn't it?

Stephanie

« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2011, 12:55:53 PM »

I have a question. Why are so many of you so hard on Christians? You seem to be harder on Christians than you are on the unbelievers.  Shouldn't we be easier on Christians than on our enemies?

Some Christians watch bad programs, but all unbelievers watch sinful programs. Give Christians credit for being part better, rather than all bad.

Chicago Bear

• A Chicagoan Named Bear
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2011, 02:44:38 PM »

I have a question. Why are so many of you so hard on Christians? You seem to be harder on Christians than you are on the unbelievers. 

Unbelievers at least have unbelief. Christians should know better, don't you think?

Either the Bible will Keep you from Sin, or sin will keep you from the Bible

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2011, 01:16:19 PM »

I have a question. Why are so many of you so hard on Christians? You seem to be harder on Christians than you are on the unbelievers. 

Unbelievers at least have unbelief. Christians should know better, don't you think?

They should, but they don't. Christians "pretend" that they're not sinning when they watch TV programs they shouldn't, rather than confess their weakness and sin in praying the Lord help them to stop living in the flesh. It's always the same old, "TV is not all bad." Of course TV is not all bad, but the programs Christians are watching generally are. I have asked Christians what they watch and they hedge and finally say things like, "Minute to win it," "the Discovery channel," "Cops," "Ellen Degeneres," "American Idol," "Big Brother," "Educational TV," "CSI," "Apprentice," "Nature," "Oprah Winfry," and "the News." Now what redeeming value would anyone get from any of those programs, except possibly the News. Even Nature, Disney and Discovery channel is filled with false ideas, immorality and teachings of evolution.

Nu 20:15 How our fathers went down into Egypt, and we have dwelt in Egypt a long time; and the Egyptians vexed us, and our fathers:
 16 And when we cried unto the LORD, he heard our voice, and sent an angel, and hath brought us forth out of Egypt: and, behold, we are in Kadesh, a city in the uttermost of thy border:

Who is vexed by what is spiritual Egypt today? One thing that I notice is that as the years go by, there are less and less biblical Christians on the InterNet and more and more modern type Christians who see all righteousness as legalism and without grace. I see this as a sign of the times, just as I see the rationalization of watching most all TV programs. It's like the unsaved guys I used to know claiming that they buy playboy for the good articles. Yeah, right! And Christians watch TV for the Christian programming. It's all rationalizations. We don't watch TV because of the Christian programs on it, because I really haven't seen a Christian program on TV in years. We watch it to be entertained by the world.

Raybob1

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2011, 09:10:41 AM »
TV (media) is the "mouth" that is given to the beast that speaks blasphemy. 

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • 🌴"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. -Psalm 52:8"
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2015, 04:36:09 AM »
If I kept my tv on my local christian station all the time I would not see anything bad either,

I don't believe that for one moment. Your local TV station or network is I'm pretty sure unbiblical and unchristian, because I've only seen a few individual Christian "shows" in my entire life that were Biblical, much less whole Christian stations or Christian networks. Where are you finding these stations where there is nothing bad on them all day long? What's the name of the station, I want to look it up? Are there any reformed Christian TV stations in existence?

but are we talking about tv in general or the specific habbits of one user?

TV in general, which is all bad, all the time. Unless you consider the Christian Broadcasting Station good. Where I am, I can't name one single show that is Christian. That is to say, real Christian. A few Pentecostal shows and the CBS but nothing Biblical. As far as I'm concerned, television is not only sinfully addicting but it also is a gigantic waste of time that breeds idleness and neglectfulness. It also exposes our children to undue pressures, sins, lusts and bad worldly influences. 

Lieberman

• I'm a Llama
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2015, 08:23:45 PM »
The only (alleged) Christian programming in my area (I don't have cable) is the CBN, and I don't consider that Christian.  Yes, there's almost constant sin on TV, but what about news programs? Can we watch those? It seems to me that's more information rather than vicarious programming.

Rose

• De 8:8 "A land of oil olive, and honey.."
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2015, 09:27:07 PM »

Don't you think that you guys (and girls) are being a little too pious? You're not in the kingdom of heaven yet.

"I am the rose of Sharon, and the lily of the valleys." - S.O.S. 2:1

Betty

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2015, 11:28:53 AM »

Don't you think that you guys (and girls) are being a little too pious? You're not in the kingdom of heaven yet.

&TY  My thoughts exactly Rose. What's that old expression? "Don't be so heavenly minded that you're no earthly good."

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2015, 12:07:57 PM »
>>>
&TY  My thoughts exactly Rose. What's that old expression? "Don't be so heavenly minded that you're no earthly good."
<<<

Yes, we've all heard that expression before, and it's usually from someone attempting to justify their disdain for someone "exhorting obedience" to God's word. But is that natural or is it purified? Is that carnal or spiritual? Yes, in some circles, Christians who are attempting to have a mind as close to Godliness as possible are considered vain and their actions a bad thing (visa'vis, the Lordship Salvation thread). The only problem with that philosophy is, it isn't! To me, this expression puts forth a false idea that thinking too much about heaven, or living and working on earth as a pilgrim and stranger here in anticipation of arriving at our real home heaven, is a negative thing. I don't buy that type of thinking. Moreover, can we even be "too" heavenly minded? I don't think that is possible, unless you use the phrase in a sense where someone becomes a monk hidden in isolation where it keeps them from their work, the great commission. But other than something like that, I don't think in any sense of the phrase it is possible. Indeed, we should be as heavenly minded as possible. Because when we are truly risen with Christ, good God breathed works of obedience follows specifically because we have a mind that is so set on heavenly things.

Colossians 3:1-2
  • "If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
  • Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth."

God says we are to set our affections on heavenly things. It doesn't say, "...but not too much." Because we are dead, and spiritual beings and our life is hid with Christ in God Most of what is on TV is of this earth sinful and worldly, so why would any Christian condemn another for refraining from watching such when it is sinful to him or her. To their God they stand or fall, it doesn't make them sinfully pious because they set their affections on heavenly things rather than earthly ones. It could be that they are simply more conscientious of such temptations, which again is a good thing. I would never accuse them of wrong doing for wanting to be closer to God or farther away from the world. No one knows what is in the heart of any Christian who abstains from watching TV but God. And since refraining from TV is decidedly not a sin, no one should accuse anyone of the sin of being "no earthly good" for doing so. IMHO.

1st Corinthians 2:14-16
  • "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
  • But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
  • For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ."

I believe the truly "heavenly minded" person will not only be of great earthly good, but will recognize the carnal or natural inclination to the ideas and lusts of the world, for exactly what it is. Rather than attributing an aversion to such worldly things as "too much Godliness for their own good," I praise them for their vision.

"nosce te ipsum"
Tony Warren

"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"
The Doctrines of Grace!

Mila Ostrovsky

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2015, 03:13:40 AM »
Don't you think that you guys (and girls) are being a little too pious?

No, I really don't. The dictionary gives one definition of piousness as making a hypocritical display of virtue. I assume you're using the word in the sense of sanctimonious, hypocritical or self-righteous. This is not what we are doing in saying TV is by and large, a source of sinful behavior. Being conscientious doesn't make anyone holier-than-thou, it's a good thing.
"pious platitudes"

You're not in the kingdom of heaven yet.

Actually, we are. We have been ever since we were regenerated in Christ.

Colossians 1:12-13 "Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light: Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:"

Anyone who has not be translated into the kingdom yet, isn't saved.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]