[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: The Growing Apostasy in the Church  (Read 18360 times)

Sportsnut

• I'm a llama!
Re: The Growing Apostasy in the Church
« Reply #105 on: September 10, 2018, 04:28:01 AM »

Lu 13:34-35
O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not! Behold, your house is left unto you desolate: and verily I say unto you, Ye shall not see me, until the time come when ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.

The Demonstration of God's Love

George

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #106 on: October 31, 2018, 03:32:48 PM »
George, Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first,
If you are going to follow the popularity of a doctrine then you can be assured that you are deceived.  Following the Bible alone is your only hope!

Bill

I'm not following popular doctrines, I'm following practical ones. There may be growing apostasy in Amillennial churches, but not in Premillennial ones.

ZeroCool

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #107 on: November 02, 2018, 05:07:53 PM »
I'm not following popular doctrines, I'm following practical ones. There may be growing apostasy in Amillennial churches, but not in Premillennial ones.

So what does practical doctrines mean?

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #108 on: November 11, 2018, 08:50:57 AM »
>>>
I'm not following popular doctrines, I'm following practical ones.

So what does practical doctrines mean?

Zerocool,
   In my view "Practical Doctrines" has become a sort of modern day code for the application of theology guided by popular worldly philosophies that the carnal Christian can "feel" comfortable with supporting. I contrast this with "Actual Doctrines" that are plainly written in Scripture. Submitting to practical doctrines (as opposed to actual doctrines) is often demonstrated in Christians practices intended to make living life easier in this world, or making Christian doctrines more palatable to those around them. For example, teaching doctrine in a watered down way so that it is more applicable to our modern day living. This as contrasted with a strict adherence to tried and true, sound biblical teachings of faith, as once delivered to and handed down to the saints.

Jude 1:3-6
  • "Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.
  • For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.
  • I will therefore put you in remembrance, though ye once knew this, how that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed them that believed not.
  • And the messengers which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day."

This type faith is considered old fashioned or archaic and not practical for today's Christians to contend for. This type faith and practice is impractical because people will hate you for it, call you close minded and laugh you to scorn for being so gullible as to "actually" have such archaic beliefs instead of practical doctrines. Which amounts to a empty or vain profession of faith.  Lots of sound Christian doctrines are unfortunately considered impractical in our day. For example, carnal Christians may believe that it is not practical to teach God abhors Homosexuality because it will damage their image of love and they will likely be reviled, persecuted and vilified--Not only by the infidels, but also by practical professing Christians.

Ezekiel 2:67
  • "And thou, son of man, be not afraid of them, neither be afraid of their words, though briers and thorns be with thee, and thou dost dwell among scorpions: be not afraid of their words, nor be dismayed at their looks, though they be a rebellious house.
  • And thou shalt speak my words unto them, whether they will hear, or whether they will forbear: for they are most rebellious."

In my opinion, another word for "most" practical doctrines is rebellion. Such as the idea that it is not helping for Christians to teach abstinence before marriage, because it's not practical today and young people will shut you out and not consider Christ--As if God depends on our convincing to save sinners? Since when did the "hard to hear truth" become impractical and not helpful to the cause of Christ?  When diod it become impractical to teach the doctrine that Christians are not to resist evil, but turn the other cheek? When professing Christians started saying it was stupid and people will take advantage of you. This is what I see as the "Practical Doctrines" philosophy. Yes, many will couch in other euphemisms, but it is still contrasted with the actual doctrines of the Scriptures, which Christ handed down to us. Practical has become a euphemism for "You don't have to hold fast to the doctrines of old, because they are not practical / applicable anymore." many ministers today will teach doctrines in a way that is intended to make them more comfortable, palatable, useful and applicable in today's immoral society. But be not deceived, practical doctrines are usually lukewarm doctrines, smoothed over doctrines, a methodology that has existed long before the phrase came into being. It's called a thousand different things but it stems from rebellious children that don't want to hear the unadulterated law of their Father. They are driven to to twist scripture to conform to the age in which we live as they are moved by fear, emotion and he flesh. Compromising the word is rebellion and it always leads to the same end--abominations and desolations.

Isaiah 30:8-14
  • "Now go, write it before them in a table, and note it in a book, that it may be for the time to come for ever and ever:
  • That this is a rebellious people, lying children, children that will not hear the law of the LORD:
  • Which say to the seers, See not; and to the prophets, Prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits:
  • Get you out of the way, turn aside out of the path, cause the Holy One of Israel to cease from before us.
  • Wherefore thus saith the Holy One of Israel, Because ye despise this word, and trust in oppression and perverseness, and stay thereon:
  • Therefore this iniquity shall be to you as a breach ready to fall, swelling out in a high wall, whose breaking cometh suddenly at an instant.
  • And he shall break it as the breaking of the potters' vessel that is broken in pieces; he shall not spare: so that there shall not be found in the bursting of it a sherd to take fire from the hearth, or to take water withal out of the pit."

They won't hear the law of God because to the carnal Christian, laws aren't meant as laws, they're merely guidelines, advise or suggestions. The carnal Christian is not interested in hearing anyone prophesy of "absolute" right things, they want to hear flexible things, smooth (soothing / palatable / comfortable) things where they don't have to change their rebellious ways. They don't want to hear what God says they should not do, they joy in hearing that they are correct in their personal or private judgments, and that their "feelings" are justified. They want to be told that their fear and anger is righteous. To listen to Bible passages that are contradictory to their beliefs is like torture, and anything God says that is negative to their way of thinking brings forth anger. They commune together parroting the line that Sovereign God means God does not control their destiny, and that God is on their side, that they shall always have peace, that God loves them and supports their practical doctrines. Growing apostasy takes many forms, including "practical doctrines."

Psalms 119:11
  • "Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee."

Now that is true practical doctrine, the practice or action of holding God's word dear as law rather than theoretical or a ideal. The bottom line is this, the carnal Christian are those most often offended by the law of God and hate the saving faith of true Christianity. They are at enmity with it because they look upon it as "impractical doctrine," unrealistic doctrine, inefficacious doctrine, the application of theology guided not by fear, the philosophies of men or feelings--but by the guiding light of the word.

>>>
There may be growing apostasy in Amillennial churches, but not in Premillennial ones.
<<<

Amillennial, Premillennial, Postmillennial, Dispensationalism, whatever group of people you want to list, there is apostasy in all churches that have mankind in them--some more of it than others. But I do understand that, "Denial is the most predictable of all responses."

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Joe Johnson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #109 on: January 26, 2019, 12:56:42 PM »
Zerocool,
   In my view "Practical Doctrines" has become a sort of modern day code for the application of theology guided by popular worldly philosophies that the carnal Christian can "feel" comfortable with supporting.

And you would be wrong. Again! Practical Christianity is the belief that God is love, not the fire throwing, Hell casting one you preach he is. He forgives our sins, which is what non-practical Christians of the Reformed variety refuse to do. Just like their fathers of the Catholic church before them.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]