[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: When Should A Christian Apologize?  (Read 32646 times)

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • 🌴"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. -Psalm 52:8"
Re: When Should A Christian Apologize?
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2017, 01:45:02 AM »
Real Christians Don't Apologize

Romans 8:9-21  (9-30-07)

Truly, this is one of the most ridiculous comments and verses out of context that I have ever read from someone professing Christianity. Real Christians don't apologize?

"For I will declare mine iniquity; I will be sorry for my sin. Psalms 38:18"

Real Christias apologize to God and man for their wrongdoing. Any wrongdoing against anyone is sin, and all sin should be apologized for. So God forgive me for my sin, and anyone here who I have sinned against I ask the same.

Pearson

• Conformed by the Blood
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2017, 01:52:52 PM »
[Soapbox mode on]

Melanie,
I agree in that instance. In other instances, no. To me, Christianity has been so compromised today by false teachings and ministries that we would be constantly apologizing or them if we start down that path of apology for wrongdoing (the Crusades, Racism, Barth, etc.). I don't think we should have to apologize for the sins of others, but yes for the sins we commit. I think that should be obvious to real Christians, and those who don't accept this do do because of pride and stubbornness. I'm not going to apologize for the crusades or racist reformed writers, because that's not my sin. And we cannot apologize for others, since apology by definition is a type of admitting wrong doing. Neither we nor Christian doctrine had any part in these actions, thus we have no reason to personally apologize for the bad actions of others.

Just My two cents

[Soapbox mode off]

Gerry

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2017, 02:30:25 PM »
I just finished reading through this whole thread with much interest and I'm interested to know what John did that was so egregious? Since I didn't see it in any of the posts.

Reformed Baptist

• Reformed Baptists
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2017, 04:38:39 AM »
Gerry, it's a long story. Basically, this started a long time ago. Rather that get into it all again, I'll just say this thread is a continuation, or rather spinoff, of another topic thread in which John made some rather sweeping bad generalizations about Baptists, which many here (and rightly so) took offense at. Myself included, since I'm a Reformed Baptist. There are many Baptists here, or at least there was. Penne apologized for making jokes or light of the issue, but I think the point was that John refused to apologize for his comments. Anyway, that's how the thread was created or got started. Evidently Shirley wanted to hear opinions on when a Christian should apologize, if ever? That's where the title came from. Some believe there is no real moral obligation for any apology, others think that a Christian having done wrong should apologize just because that is his new spirit and nature. So this thread was basically delving into what was our Christian responsibility (if any) regarding apologies when we offend another Christian. I hope that helps your understanding.

Emily

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2017, 05:36:47 PM »
People get offended so easily. Of course I'm not Baptist so it's easy for me to say that. On the other hand, I do understand why a Baptist might be offended by what was said. Christian beliefs are nothing to joke about, whether good or bad.

Simon

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2017, 12:09:25 AM »

Hammerle Labinowic

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2017, 09:12:15 AM »
I would have to say that apologizing for a true Christian is basic. If you wrong someone, you apologize. To Christian or non Christian. Since there are very few true Christians, there are very few Christians who will humble themselves, swallow their pride and apologize.

Matthew 5:23-24 KJV
"Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee; Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift".

Isn't it really a question of humility, which the natural man seldom has, and the Christian fights to maintain? We all have trouble with the flesh. Speaking only for myself, I have a hard time apologizing. It's not something that comes naturally, since we are all flesh. But I know it is the will of God.

Larry

• Reformed & Reforming
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2017, 12:08:20 AM »

The attitude of a brother should be one of reconciliation and understanding among the group of saints. And if not, the Bible says we should look at them as a heathen and not of the spirit of grace. Wrongdoing should be addressed and the offending one humble to accept responsibility without playing the victim.

Matthew 18:15-17
"Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican."

This is the Calvinist view of this issue, which I hold and is held by most Puritans and Reformed writers of old. Work it out in the church.

Matrix

• Neo
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2017, 07:21:32 PM »
The Bible tells us a lot about apologizing and confessing our sins. Learning about the consequences of sins and the harm we do to others leads us to why apologizing is important. Joseph's brothers apologized to him for selling him into slavery. In apologizing we learn that there is an importance in adhering to God's plan. We also learn that God is very forgiving, and people should strive to following in God's footsteps. Also, apologizing is a way of recognizing and confessing our sins, which is an important part of our daily Christian walk. It has a way of clearing the air between people and between us and God. When we apologize, we look for forgiveness for our sins.

Sometimes it means apologizing to people for what we have done to them. Sometimes we also have to be patient and allow other people to get over it. Meanwhile, God can forgive us whether we ask or not, but it is still our responsibility to ask for it.

from Kelli Mahoney

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • 🌴"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. -Psalm 52:8"
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2017, 02:08:00 PM »
[Soapbox mode on]

Melanie,
I agree in that instance. In other instances, no. To me, Christianity has been so compromised today by false teachings and ministries that we would be constantly apologizing or them if we start down that path of apology for wrongdoing (the Crusades, Racism, Barth, etc.). I don't think we should have to apologize for the sins of others, but yes for the sins we commit.

That's what I meant. Not that we should apologize for others, but for our own sins. I also don't believe we are obligated to apologize for the crusades, slavery etc. That's not our own personal sins, but the sins of our fathers.  We are on the same page.

I think that should be obvious to real Christians, and those who don't accept this do do because of pride and stubbornness. I'm not going to apologize for the crusades or racist reformed writers, because that's not my sin. And we cannot apologize for others, since apology by definition is a type of admitting wrong doing. Neither we nor Christian doctrine had any part in these actions, thus we have no reason to personally apologize for the bad actions of others.

Just My two cents

[Soapbox mode off]
[/quote]

Bunyan

• Luke 8:24
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2017, 11:30:01 AM »

I think that should be obvious to real Christians, and those who don't accept this do do because of pride and stubbornness.

Melanie and Pearson, I think that because of today's pressures, Christians are becoming more prone to anger, backbiting strife, and  so dig their heals in. In my day (dating myself here) there use to be compromise, but today it seems no one wants to admit any culpability. That's why most marriages break up also. One or both parties think they are right and so it's "my way or the highway> There's no compromise because that shows weakness. That's not how relationships, Christian, marriage or friendships should work. Sometimes we're just wrong. No shame in that. Everyone is wrong sometimes.
"The law says, 'do this,' and it is never done. Grace
says, 'believe in this,' and everything is already done
."
- Martin Luther

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]