[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: What Does It Mean To Be A Christian?  (Read 15351 times)

Herman Stowe

• SBC
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Christian?
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2009, 10:33:44 PM »
What Does it mean to be a Christian? Here is a good synopsis.

http://thereformedchurch.net/what-is-a-christian

Also, since I am also a Baptist, I would like to weigh in on this controversy. First, to address what  beelsls said. Yes, we are all Christians. But we are not all Baptist Christians.  Reading through this thread, I have to agree it seem,s some people are just trying to make excuses. And that saddens me.

To Midas, good post. It is always a tug of war, and probably always will be. But thank God we have Christ on our side pulling, so we can't lose.

To Lieberman, I agree

To Rose, yes, it is about pride, but we all have some, including you.

Pilgrim

• Reformed and Reforming
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2009, 11:19:08 PM »

I'm not a Baptist, but as a good Christian, I am sensitive to my fellow Christians, and thus I am really disappointed in some here. Some who, it seems, have gone out of their way to make Baptists feel that if they don't think a joke at their expense is funny, that they are ultimately at fault. This is wrong, no matter who thinks that. And further, I can sense the growing animosity by Baptists because of this attitude being displayed toward those who think the Joke was not funny.

1Co 13:4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
 5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
 6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

I would ask that you all think on those words and remember this passages. And most of all, remember that John is not the only Christian in this forum, and we all need support. Not just John, all Christians! I dearly love John, but I've read the posts of these people for years and they are good Christians too. In a Thread entitled, "What Does It Mean To Be A Christian," it seems some here have either forgotten, or do not really know. Let's not create schisms based on nothing more than perceptions.
"And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins." -Matthew 1:21

beelsls

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2009, 09:50:05 AM »
I think you are correct Reformed Baptist, eyes do need to be opened however they can only be opened by God.
I did not say that I thought you or anyone else was not saved. That depends entirely on what God has caused you to believe. My statement was that there are none good, or great as Rose said.
I will not apologize for what I believe nor do I think anyone else should.
 I believe that most who call themselves Christian today are much the same as Korah, they want to worship the Lord but in their own way which is not acceptable to God.
 I believe that we canít even come close to comprehending Gods perfection and donít realize how evil we are in Gods eyes. That only because Jesus Christ covered us with His perfect blood can God even look at us. 
I believe that Gods Word teaches that we are dead in our sins without any ability to do anything about it. That just as we had no say so in our 1st (water birth) we have no say so in our second birth (spiritual). That Jesus Christ did not pay for the sins of all who have lived, He only paid for the sins of His Elect, those chosen before the foundation of the earth.
I believe that many are called (the earthly church) and few are chosen (the spiritual church),
I believe that Gods Word teaches that when we see the abomination that causes desolation standing in the Holy Place (the church) we are to flee to the mountains (the Most Holy Place). I believe that when someone is saved by God they will see Gods perfection and realize the churches imperfection and leave.
The pastor of the church my wife and I left some years ago talked many times about wiggle room because he did not want to offend. I believe that there is no wiggle room with God and that many are offended.

His Will Be Done!
His Will Be Done

Bill

Hammerle Labinowic

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2009, 11:22:56 AM »
I think you are correct Reformed Baptist, eyes do need to be opened however they can only be opened by God.
I did not say that I thought you or anyone else was not saved. That depends entirely on what God has caused you to believe. My statement was that there are none good, or great as Rose said.
I will not apologize for what I believe nor do I think anyone else should.

Boy, Granny really started a fire storm with that simple question. As a new member, I'm sure she is aghast at all the stubborn bickering and back biting in the posts. What a great example of what it means to be a Christian you all are.   :(

But does no one here listen? Anyone! And Beelsls, you're the chief culprit and antagonist. Reformed Baptist didn't ask you to apologize, and certainly not for what you believe. You are just making things up just to be talking. Can you spell Straw Man?  What's wrong with you people. Pilgrim has made the most intelligent and Godly post of all, and all you can do is rant on and on about nothing. Try and listen for a change.

Proverbs 17:28 Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.

I would like to echo what has already been said. John doesn't need anyone to defend him. I'm sure he himself would be the first to tell you that if he didn't want to set off another round of foolish replies. All you are doing is destroying, tearing down, back bitting and reviling. Don't you have the Spirit of God to understand that? Give it a rest why don't you! I know granny is sorry she asked the question in the first place!!

Pearson

• Conformed by the Blood
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2009, 01:23:50 AM »

Amen!

And thanks for the On-Topic Link Herman!

beelsls

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2009, 07:32:29 AM »
And Beelsls, you're the chief culprit and antagonist.

When you are righht you are right. I can be a "Pot Stirer".

I will try and do better.

His Will Be Done!

His Will Be Done

Bill

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • 🌴"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. -Psalm 52:8"
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2009, 09:03:20 AM »
And Beelsls, you're the chief culprit and antagonist.

When you are righht you are right. I can be a "Pot Stirer".

I will try and do better.

His Will Be Done!

Amen and Amen! beelsls, now that is Christian. God bless you brother, and anyone who has the guts (or should I say Spirit) to admit wrongdoing. Because there are so few Christians who will do that on a personal level. Especially those we think should know better and who most of all should do it. So (not that it matters to you what I think) you have gained a greater Christian respect from me. May the Lord richly bless you. You're welcome on my Christian buddy list anytime :)

You know, on another related issue, I've been thinking. This only highlights what a tremendous and difficult job it is to run a good Christian web site and message forum. Which I guess is why so few of us (if any of us) choose to do so. It's a job. The money, the time, the frustration, the jokers and headaches that you would have to go through, I dare say I wouldn't want to deal with it. So my hat goes off to the few web operators like Tony Warren, who not only administrate this great web sites, but also oversees this very volatile Christian forum. If it was me, I might have become frustrated and closed it down long ago, so I am grateful he chooses to keep these sites going. So many Christian sites have come and gone, but the Mountain Retreat just marches on year after year, with no change in philosophy. Praise God! Because I have learned so much reading in this forum, and was led here through his web site. God is truly working here, despite the occasional bouts that Christians experience. Just thought I'd verbalize what I was thinking.

Now that I've said my piece, I would like to comment on the link that Herman submitted. I particularly like these lines:

If I am a Christian, I begin to love the things God loves and to hate the things He hates, things we call sins. 

If I am a Christian, I learn what is right and wrong from the Bible, His Word, and I trust what the Bible says.

If I am a Christian, I am grieved when I do not live the way God says I should. I ask God to forgive me, for the sake of Christ, at such times.

Fred

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2009, 01:56:33 PM »
We already know the list of people who are going to automatically stick up for John, Tony, Erik, Judy Et all. And you and some others are the first we'd expect to be on it. Your assent was a given.

But the fact is, it was disparaging against Baptists. And Baptists were offended. That alone should be enough to get an apology.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I was curious about the silence of the Lamb. And Christian behavior is right on topic. So I looked up the word apologize, and I found that every regular Christian on this forum has used it at one time or another. Even Reformer (humor - humor!!!!)

That is to say, all except John. I guess either he doesn't believe in the concept, or else he feels he has never said anything wrong. With a whopping 268 expository posts, he's not made one single error, sleight or offense to any Christian. He is the only "regular" here that has never apologized for anything and never ever even used the word apologize.

That says it all as far as I'm concerned. Obviously he is sheer perfection!  Seeing as we are all sinners, that's amazing, don't you think.  ::)

Penne

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2009, 02:49:27 PM »

Not to beat a dead horse

I canít believe this conversation has lasted this long.  I guess that poor horse needs a few more stripes.  We all know different denominations are known for certain distinguishing characteristics.  The last Baptist church I attended was just as bad as the Pentecostal and catholic church in their teachings.   Thereís not a nickelís worth of difference between them if you ask me, lost is still lost. 
Why is it, for those who demand an apology, forget to forgive?
Mark 11:26
  "But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses."

Reformed Baptist

• Reformed Baptists
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2009, 03:16:48 PM »

Not to beat a dead horse

I canít believe this conversation has lasted this long.  I guess that poor horse needs a few more stripes.  We all know different denominations are known for certain distinguishing characteristics.  The last Baptist church I attended was just as bad as the Pentecostal and catholic church in their teachings.   Thereís not a nickelís worth of difference between them if you ask me, lost is still lost. 

Mr Warren or Moderators,
  I would "request" that you do something about these so-called Christians bashing the Baptists! PLEASE!
 Since they obviously have no control over themselves!

Amy Lineal

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2009, 03:17:18 PM »

Obvious Guilt by Association fallacy.  Just because you went to one Baptist church does NOT make ALL Baptist churches "bad" like the one you attended.  This is pure arrogance.

Why is it, for those who demand an apology, forget to forgive?
Mark 11:26
  "But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses."

Prior to forgiveness, there is repentance.  Am I mistaken?  How can one forgive another if the one who offends does not ask for forgiveness?

As soon as John apologizes, I'm sure everyone will accept his apology and forgive him.

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2009, 03:33:35 PM »

Not to beat a dead horse

Mr Warren or Moderators,
  I would "request" that you do something about these so-called Christians bashing the Baptists! PLEASE!
 Since they obviously have no control over themselves!

Unbelievable! I Concur! I thought maybe mature Christian adults could work this out among themselves, but obviously, I was wrong. For that, "I Apologize" to my Baptist Friends. I bet this nonsense would go on for weeks if I didn't put a stop to it. Some people, I'm afraid, are more immature than children.

NOTICE!
There will be no more Baptist (or any other denomination) bashing in this forum. And that includes what you might deem as simply "humorous." I'm offended by the latest round of insults, and I'm not Baptist! And also, no more getting into personalities of posters. And it's not up for debate, it ends NOW! ...or find another forum to post in. No Exceptions! Thank you all for your "Christian" cooperation.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Reformed Baptist

• Reformed Baptists
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2009, 03:59:28 PM »
Unbelievable! I Concur! I thought maybe mature Christian adults could work this out among themselves, but obviously, I was wrong. For that, "I Apologize" to my Baptist Friends. I bet this nonsense would go on for weeks if I didn't put a stop to it. Some people, I'm afraid, are more immature than children.

NOTICE!
There will be no more Baptist (or any other denomination) bashing in this forum. And that includes what you might deem as simply "humorous." I'm offended by the latest round of insults, and I'm not Baptist! And also, no more getting into personalities of posters. And it's not up for debate, it ends NOW! ...or find another forum to post in. No Exceptions! Thank you all for your "Christian" cooperation.

Thank you. I think we can truly call you a friend of all Christians, and one who clearly distinguishes between right and wrong.

Halle

• "Because He Lives"
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2009, 07:10:00 AM »
Unbelievable! I Concur! I thought maybe mature Christian adults could work this out among themselves, but obviously, I was wrong. For that, "I Apologize" to my Baptist Friends.

And I'll bet it didn't hurt one bit.  What does it mean to be a Christian? Among other things, you have to care about more than yourself and your ego. And there's a good example of that right there! God Bless!

Reformed Baptist

• Reformed Baptists
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2009, 11:55:50 AM »
Unbelievable! I Concur! I thought maybe mature Christian adults could work this out among themselves, but obviously, I was wrong. For that, "I Apologize" to my Baptist Friends.

And I'll bet it didn't hurt one bit.  What does it mean to be a Christian? Among other things, you have to care about more than yourself and your ego. And there's a good example of that right there! God Bless!

It's called sacrifice. Good Christians have it. That's why Mr. Warren has run this site and forum for all these years. A love for others that overrides his own enjoyment and pleasure. Self-less-nes! As opposed to the rest of us who don't have time  ::)  or inclination to take on a work like this. So, I add my God Bless also. Good fruit is seen on a good tree. What does it mean to be a good Christian? More than apologies, lasting fruit.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]