[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Water Baptism: Immersion, Pouring or Sprinkling  (Read 4512 times)

Nikki

• I'm a llama!
Water Baptism: Immersion, Pouring or Sprinkling
« on: July 31, 2003, 10:10:50 PM »
I grew up in a northern Methodist congregation and we didn't really put much emphasis on the mode of baptism. Now that I am more in tune with doing the right thing, I would like to know if we should be baptized by immersion or by sprinkling?

jd@

Re: Water Baptism: Immersion, Pouring or Sprinkling
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 01:30:23 AM »
A lot depends on whether you take the Greek word baptizo to only mean 'immerse.'  And also, what does it signify?  Being sprinkled with Jesus' blood?  God pouring out His Spirit on us?  Being buried with Jesus?  Or all of the above?

judykanova

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 03:03:13 AM »
We know that baptism -- like the Lord's Supper, is a NT ceremonial law that in and of itself can't save anyone.  What's most important about baptism is not the amount of water, what rather what it  symbolizes.  It symbolizes  being baptised by the Holy Spirit -- which is a gift of God, and  the only kind of baptism with saving power.

Matt 3:11

11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Acts 11:15-17

15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.

16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.

17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?

judy

'For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.'   Ps 119:89

Bruce

• Faith Overcomes All
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2003, 08:47:51 AM »
The majority of scriptures speak of sprinkling as the mode of God's cleansing of the Holy spirit which is illustrated in water baptism.

Isa 52:15 So shall he sprinkle many nations; the kings shall shut their mouths at him: for that which had not been told them shall they see; and that which they had not heard shall they consider.

Eze 36:25  Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

Even the blood of the sacrifice symbolizing the blood of Christ was sprinkled.

Only Baptists and former Baptists (because of their Church traditions) ignore all this and "insist" upon ways to teach that immersion is the only correct form of Baptism. aving once been in that camp, I know of what I speak. My guess is, you are Baptist or former Baptist. Correct?

Robert Powell

• "fruit of the righteous, a tree of Life" Pr 11:30
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2003, 05:06:04 AM »
Immersion is not "the" baptism, and neither does the greek word baptizo mean to dip as is so widely alleged by most Baptists. It doesn't matter if you are immersed or sprinkled or have water poured upon you. It all comes out in the real wash.

Titus 3:5
  "Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;"

I would suggest a reading of Tony Warren's, William Shishko's or Greg L Bahsen's articles on Baptism. There you will find a biblical view on the subject without regard for denominations. It makes no difference how much water is put upon you, and the idea taken from Colosians of water burial is ridiculous. We are buried with him in the washing of his death, not water. Baptism means washing, not dipping. People need to start using some common sense instead of traditions in forming doctrines.

Reformed Baptist

• Reformed Baptists
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 07:49:20 AM »
I was just reading an article on this website where the author declares that the type of water baptism a Christian uses is not important.

Quote by Tony Warren:

"If you want to be baptized by immersion, be baptized by immersion. If by Sprinkling, be baptized by Sprinkling"

Since when did the method become unimportant? isn't it important that we follow the mode that is shown in scripture, and isn't that mode dipping?

Acts 8:38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.

He went down into the water.  I think that we have to be careful here not to be too liberal in our theology.

DIpraise100

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 10:20:04 AM »
Please give me more scripture to support your point.  I have looked at this verse before and wondered:  did they "descend" down a hill into the water, how deep was the water-ankle deep, did they then splash the water on themselves?  The verse does not tell us the details.  The same is with Jesus' baptism-                    Mr 1:10
And straightway coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon him:                                                            There have been many times where I have gone down into the waters of Lake Michigan to be cooled off and not submerged my whole body but have splashed the water on myself.  Please search the scriptures to find where is tells us we are to be dipped (submerged?).  I will be interested in what you find.

Davis

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 12:37:06 PM »
We Baptists have have a long history of practicing baptism by immersion. Baptist scholars point to the meaning of the Greek word for baptism, which properly interpreted means to "dip" or "plunge." Additional evidence can be found from baptism narratives such as the baptism of Christ where the biblical text says, "He came up out of the water" (Mark 1:10). The most convincing teaching is that of Romans 6:3-4 and Colossians 2:12, where the symbolism of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ clearly points to submersion and emersion.

It would seem evident that even those who believe that baptism represents "purification from sin" would have to admit that any mode other than immersion does not do justice to the symbolism described here by the Apostle Paul.

lpowell

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 04:39:46 PM »
Is that enough?  Our sin is great.  Washing ourselves can not suffice.  If Christ paid it all, was it by a quiet little dip in the lake or a mighty overflowing of waters on out behalf?

Jon 2:3 For thou hadst cast me into the deep, in the midst of the seas; and the floods compassed me about: all thy billows and thy waves passed over me.

Isa 28:18 And your covenant with death shall be disannulled, and your agreement with hell shall not stand; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, then ye shall be trodden down by it.

For us, a good picture of baptism would be to volunteer to stand outside the ark when the door is closed. A weak second would be to stand in front of that tsunamii in India two years ago.  For I, like Paul and like Newton (Amazing Grace) am the chiefest of sinners.
Lloyd Powell

midas

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 09:08:21 PM »
Acts 8:38  And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.

He parked the chariot - they went/walked down to the bank and into the water (Not dunked) They both went into the water.

If going down into the water implies immersion, we must believe that Philip immersed himself at the same time he immersed the eunuch because it said they both went into the water ... That makes no sense ...

Acts 8:39  And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

And when they came out of the water - walk/went out of the water - nothing implies their bodies went/were under water ...

Sandy

• Gold Member
  • I Stand Coram Deo
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 07:31:08 PM »
Vs. 38 says he (Philip) baptized him (eunuch).  Both went down to the water but only the eunuch was baptized, i.e. immersed, submerged, or fully wet.   The Greek word is baptizo which in the NT is used for the ordinance of Christian baptism, i.e. washing, ceremonial ablution.  The eunuch being baptized certainly implies his body was immersed, submerged, or became fully wet by the water.  Does this prove he was fully dipped?  Or that being baptized always means being fully immersed, submerged, or fully wet by water?  What about this baptism with the Holy Ghost, which only Christ performs?   

Mr 1:8  I indeed have baptized you with water: but he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost.

Could the real problem be our understanding of why Christ instituted this ordinance of baptism?  If we understood that baptism is symbolic (a sign of something) would we insist it must be one way or the other?

Many Blessings,
Sandy 

Davis

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 08:11:38 PM »
The eunuch being baptized certainly implies his body was immersed, submerged, or became fully wet by the water.  Does this prove he was fully dipped?

Yes, it sure does.

Could the real problem be our understanding of why Christ instituted this ordinance of baptism?  If we understood that baptism is symbolic (a sign of something) would we insist it must be one way or the other?

Many Blessings,
Sandy 

Sure. It's symbolic of our death and resurrection, so we must be buried in water, not sprinkled.

Raybob

• I'm a Lamma
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2006, 08:27:43 PM »
Mar 16:16  He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

The original Greek for "baptized" here means "cleansed". 
baptizo {bap-tid'-zo}
1) to dip repeatedly, to immerse, to submerge (of vessels sunk)

2) to cleanse by dipping or submerging, to wash, to make clean with water, to wash one's self, bathe

3) to overwhelm

The baptism of John was an event that happened with water.  The baptism of Christ has nothing to do with "literal" water but everything to do with the "living water" that truly washes.
He that believeth and is cleansed (from their past sinful life) shall be saved.  That is the way I read this passage.

Act 19:3-5  And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.  (4)  Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.  (5)  When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Raybob

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2007, 07:45:27 AM »
The eunuch being baptized certainly implies his body was immersed, submerged, or became fully wet by the water.  Does this prove he was fully dipped?

Yes, it sure does.

No it doesn't. I'll grant you that most Baptists, former baptis and those with baptist leanings "read that into" the text, but it implies nothing of the sort. Christian baptism means washing, not dipping. It means to be baptized from sin, or washed from sin, not dipped from sin. Acts says they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch, and he baptized him. In other words, put water on him, symbolic of washing away sin. Christ instituted this ordinance of baptism as a symbol of washing away sin, not of submerging.

Isa 52:15 So shall he sprinkle many nations; the kings shall shut their mouths at him: for that which had not been told them shall they see; and that which they had not heard shall they consider.

Isaiah was the book Philip was reading, was it not? He wasan't reading about dipping many nations, but of cleansing by the use of water.

Chris

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 04:23:16 PM »
In other words, put water on him, symbolic of washing away sin. Christ instituted this ordinance of baptism as a symbol of washing away sin, not of submerging.

Isaiah was the book Philip was reading, was it not? He wasan't reading about dipping many nations, but of cleansing by the use of water.

Thus the correct mode of baptism is sprinkling. Which is what our Church does!

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]