[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: What does the Bible say about the Tithe or Christian Tithing?  (Read 11321 times)

Larry

• Reformed & Reforming
Re: What does the Bible say about the Tithe or Christian Tithing?
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2015, 12:00:55 AM »
There is no law commanding tithing. We are to be cheerful givers, giving freely.

I'd be interested in knowing from the participants if this is the Reformed view, or simply a personal view? What do the reformed creeds and confessions have to say about it? Anyone?

Anne

• Grow With God
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2015, 01:47:12 AM »
Does it matter that much what they say about it?

James Heckman

« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2015, 02:02:20 AM »
I think that the Westminster confession is silent on tithing. I believe that the Lord requires the practice of tithing. Recognizing the greater blessings under the new covenant and the fact that Christ endorsed tithing, the Christian should tithe as a minimum and respond out of love by giving at least as great a proportion of his income to the Lord’s work through the Church. Deut. 26:12-15; Mal. 3:10; Matt. 23:23.

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • 🌴"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. -Psalm 52:8"
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2015, 08:59:02 AM »
I agree with Tony and believe that tithing one-tenth of my income misses the point. The point of Christianity is "freely giving", not being "bound by the law" to give. Isn't that the point Christ makes? Shouldn't we look toward the sacrificial element of giving until it hurts? Or giving freely because we received freely? Charity to give rather than taxed to give? Isn't a requirement to give a certain amount of money to the church nothing more than a New Testament church tax?  :thinker:

Doug Johnson

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2015, 03:33:20 AM »
I think that the Westminster confession is silent on tithing.

Silent? Does the protestant sects take a stand on anything? What was that not important to your church?

Skeeter7

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2018, 09:07:41 PM »
What is the spiritual significance of tithing? We know it was practiced under the old covenant, but what did it foreshadow?

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • 🌴"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. -Psalm 52:8"
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2018, 01:05:40 PM »
Skeeter,
Everything we have belongs to the Lord, not a 10th. We are not under law, but Grace. Freely we received, we freely give. Not by law, by grace.

This Articles Search:

http://mountainretreatorg.net/searchit/searchit.cgi?should%20christians%20tithe

Found in This tithing thread:

http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=2117.0

Admin, maybe you could merge this thread.

George

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2018, 01:54:06 AM »
First, forget the spiritual meaning, that's Amillennial nonsense.

Second, Melanie. So you're saying we shouldn't give tithes and offerings, we should keep all our money for ourselves? Isn't that robbing God? Selfish and greedy at best.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2018, 08:59:33 AM »
What is the spiritual significance of tithing? We know it was practiced under the old covenant, but what did it foreshadow?

The spiritual significance of tithing is the gospel, and like all Old Testament laws it foreshadowed Christ, our full portion unto God. Our spiritual tithes and offerings are through Christ, where it is a full oblation.

Dana Pescator

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2018, 06:30:59 AM »
I agree with Reformer. Whenever there is giving to the Lord in the Old Testament, it represents spiritually that it is through Christ. Since nothing we have is worthy, it is only through Christ that our gifts, contributions and efforts are made acceptable to God. The tenth was the part of the production of the earth set apart and consecrated to the Lord.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2018, 02:38:48 AM »
I agree with Reformer. Whenever there is giving to the Lord in the Old Testament, it represents spiritually that it is through Christ. Since nothing we have is worthy, it is only through Christ that our gifts, contributions and efforts are made acceptable to God. The tenth was the part of the production of the earth set apart and consecrated to the Lord.

Well said. A tenth of Israel’s seed, fruit, and flocks were given to the Lord (Lev. 27:30–32; Deut. 14:22–24; cf. 2 Chron. 31:5–6; Neh. 13:5, 12) and it all signified the bountiful work of Christ.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]