[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: What does the Bible say about the Tithe or Christian Tithing?  (Read 10921 times)

Nikki

• I'm a llama!
I was told that I am not being a good Christian unless I tithe ten percent of my earnings to the Church. It seems they made some good points in saying that this is what was required in the old testament, and that Christ came not to abolish the law.

It was also said that we're stealing from the Lord if we don't tithe. So I'm somewhat torn. Should we tithe, and should it be our gross pay or our net pay?

And what about if we can't always afford it and miss the mark one month? Do we have to make it up the next month?

Doug Johnson

• I'm a llama!
Re: What does the Bible say about the Tithe or Christian Tithing?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2003, 04:31:57 AM »
Nikki, I noticed everyone igmnored your post. I wonder why?

Why Tithe?
by David Cooper
"God loves a cheerful giver."
(2 Corinthians 9:7)

Why Tithe?
Many modern-day Christians dismiss tithing as an old Jewish practice mandated in the Levitical law, and therefore has no place in their lives today. Pity those poor churches whose members believe this!

Our church believes that the tithe is not only Scriptural, but essential to the growth, health and ministry of our local body. The tithe is the only methodical means by which the members and friends can support the work of this church and further the Gospel of Jesus Christ in this community.

The History Of The Tithe
The tithe was first established in Scripture hundreds of years before God included it in the Levitical law. The first example of tithing we have is found in Genesis 14:17-21. Abram has rescued his nephew Lot and the people of Sodom from their captors, and returned them safely to their city. The priest Melchizedek blesses Abram, who, in return, gives to the priest a tenth of all that he has recovered in the rescue attempt. The word "tithe" means one-tenth.

Later, in Genesis 28:20-22, we find Jacob making an agreement with God, which happens to include a tithe, or tenth, of all of Jacob's possessions being given to God. About 600 years later, God established this practice of tithing in His law to the Jewish people (Leviticus 27:30). These tithes were used to support the Levites, who served as God's priests, and whose only support came from the people's tithes. In the same way today, our tithes are the sole means of support for the Christian Church.

Why We Should Tithe
Proverbs 3:9 tells us to "honor the Lord with your wealth, with the firstfruits of al your crops..." Since God gave us His firstfruits, Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 15:23), we also should be willing to give Him the very best of what we produce, our "firstfruits." What are your firstfruits? The first 10% of your gross paycheck is a good place to start. This comes off the top of what you earn, before taxes and other deductions. God didn't give us His leftovers, and we shouldn't try to give Him our leftovers, either. That is why the tithe comes first, before you spend your money on anything else. The tithe belongs at the top of your budget, not at the bottom with the leftovers. This is how you honor God with your firstfruits. Of course, tithing doesn't stop at money; if you produce something besides an income, that also needs to be tithed.

Jesus had something to say about tithing as well. In Matthew 23:23-24, we find Him admonishing the Pharisees to not only tithe, but to tend to the weightier matters of the law, such as showing justice, mercy and faithfulness. Jesus acknowledged the appropriateness of tithing, and advocated the practice.

The Scriptures are filled with many wonderful promises if we are faithful in tithing. Malachi 3:6-12 explains how, if we do not slack off in our giving, God will throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that we won't have room enough for it all! Now that's a promise! In 2 Corinthians 9:6-15, Paul tells us that our blessings are directly related to how much we are willing to give. If we sow a little, we will reap a little. But, if we sow a lot, we will reap a great harvest. In verse 12, he tells us that our offerings are not only needed to meet the needs of the church, but act as a form of thanksgiving to God for all that He has done for us. Paul goes on to say that others will praise God for our obedience in this matter!

The Four Elements Of Tithing
As we have seen thus far, tithing is Scriptural. The Bible has much to say about this part of a Christian's life. But tithing is also simple. So simple in fact, a child can easily determine a tithe. Simply move the decimal point one position to the left, and you have one-tenth of your original amount. What could be easier?

Tithing is also systematic. It takes the guesswork out of giving to the church. There is no last-minute fumbling for the wallet or purse while the offering plate is being passed. Your check will be written ahead of time, your envelope prepared, and your attention can remain on the worship service in progress.

Lastly, tithing is successful. It does more than pay the church's bills. It helps discipline the Christian and enlarge his or her vision of spiritual things. We are partners with God, co-workers even. If we do our share by tithing, God will do great things with that money in the local body and the community it serves.

judykanova

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2003, 06:43:29 PM »
Doug

The way you begin this post tells a lot about you,
and reflects your mindset.  You said:

You know, the ONLY person you can speak for is yourself.  This type of comment shows immaturity and divisiveness.  The question is, why do you post here if you think so little of the participants?
And, you typically resort to the knowledge of the world -- some man's book,  instead of basing your views on YOUR study of the Bible and the Bible ALONE.

Job 15:2-6
2 Should a wise man utter vain knowledge, and fill his belly with the east wind?
3 Should he reason with unprofitable talk? or with speeches wherewith he can do no good?
4 Yea, thou castest off fear, and restrainest prayer before God.
5 For thy mouth uttereth thine iniquity, and thou choosest the tongue of the crafty.
6 Thine own mouth condemneth thee, and not I: yea, thine own lips testify against thee.

2 Tim 2:15-16
15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

As for Nikki's question regarding the tithe, it goes way beyond 10% and not necessarily in terms of money.   the Bible teaches that ALL we have belongs to the Lord including our very lives:

Rom 12:1-8
I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.
2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
3 Serve God with Spiritual Gifts
For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith. ...
6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, let us prophesy in proportion to our faith;
7 or ministry, let us use it in our ministering; he who teaches, in teaching;
8 he who exhorts, in exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness.

The way we use the resources/talents/gifts that God provides,  reflects the value we place on the gospel.  This is taught in the parable of the dishonest stewart in Luke 16, which concludes:

Luke 16:10, 12, 13
10 He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much....
12 And if ye have not been faithful in that which is another man's, who shall give you that which is your own?
13 No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

We should without question support the needs of those who faithfully declare the Word -- the place where we find spiritual food and grow in the Word.   And in these times, they are much more likely found without rather than within today's  traditional churches which have largely  abandoning the true Faith.  I  think these verses teach this:

Gal 6:6-8
6 Let him that is taught in the word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things.
7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

So this matter of the tithe goes well beyond the 10%  -- (consider the woman with the 2 mites Luke 21:2 & Mark 12:42 who  gave her all), it's mostly  a matter of the 'heart' , and the understanding that we should be good stewards of all we have, in recognition that  those things as well as our very lives belong to the Lord.  It reflects what we truly value, where we put our trust, and how we utilize our resources/talents/gifts for the glory of God and furtherence of the gospel.

judy
'For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.'   Ps 119:89

Doug Johnson

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2003, 08:49:37 PM »
Quote:

You know, the ONLY person you can speak for is yourself.  This type of comment shows immaturity and divisiveness.  The question is, why do you post here if you think so little of the participants?

Nope. That's not the question, this is. Nikki asked a legitimate question on the 24th. Everyone on this forum totally ignored her post for a week. So then I answered it. All of a sudden, there are numerous posts condemning me.

Why didn't you answer her in the first place if you knew the answer, instead of waiting to trash me when I posted help? You had every opportunity to help her, but you didn't. Then I post a message trying to help her, and all you can talk about is me.

For your information, the topic is the tithe, not me. Follow the rules. And Tony Warren, please enforce the rules that people deal with the message, not the posters.

Doug Johnson

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2003, 03:12:12 PM »
Judy,

You wanted scripture? IT IS SCRIPTURAL. Principle of tithing is seen in the garden of Eden.
A. Commenced with Abraham (Gen. 14:18-20).  
B. Continued with Jacob (Gen. 28:20-22).
C. Commanded by Moses (Lev. 27:30-32)
D. Committed by Nehemiah (Neh. 10:37-39; 13:10-12).  
E. Charged by Malachi (Mal. 3:8-10)
F. Commended by Jesus (Matt. 23:23).

OK?

Sue Landow

• Gold Member
  • Distributing to the saints & given to Hospitality.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2003, 10:50:25 PM »
Doug, the tithe was an old testament ceremonial law. We're not obligated to give a tenth now, we should give even more. Today, we give all we can. And not grudgingly because we're obligated to give a tenth, but willingly because we love God and owe our whole existence to Him.

2 Corinthians 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

"And again he said, Whereunto shall I liken the kingdom of God? It is like leaven, which a woman took and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened". Luke 13:20-21

canuk

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2003, 10:40:26 AM »
You wanted scripture? IT IS SCRIPTURAL. Principle of tithing is seen in the garden of Eden.

Now, what books did you get that information from... I wonder?

Diane Moody

• The Kingdom is Within You
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2003, 12:02:21 PM »
We're not obligated to give a tenth now, we should give even more. Today, we give all we can.

2 Corinthians 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Sue, I agree with you totally, but isn't a 10th a good place to start even though it's not commanded? We can start at a 10th and give more as God allows.

I have a serious problem with those who begrudge the money. It's because of their lifestyles that they don't want to give money for the spreading of the gospel. I give to organizations because I know they are doing God's work, and I want to help in that effort. Not because I feel obligated.

For example, I know people who claim that they cannot afford to give a 10th, and yet they are buying a new car every year, going to the hair dresser twice a week for a hundred dollars, putting in a new kitchen, adding a second garage, etc. You see what I mean? The Lord should come first, not be an afterthought. Yet these people claim they can't afford to give a 10th. That's wrong.

Doesn't this show where their heart is?

"I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive." -Acts 20:35

Glenda

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2003, 12:34:07 PM »
Amen Diane!
And all the inhabitants of the earth [are] reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and [among] the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou? Daniel 4:35

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2003, 06:02:10 PM »
>>>
Doesn't this show where their heart is?
<<<

Indeed.  A tree is known by it's fruits. By our fruits we know what we are, not by the "name" we might call ourselves.

Psalms 37:4
"Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Jeremiah 17:10
"I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings."

Nikki

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2003, 11:49:42 PM »
Thank most of you for your opinions.

I do have a followup question.

Mal 3:8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

This verse was given to me and it seems to say we are robbing God if we don't tithe. Can anyone explain this? We don't want to be robbing God.

Withoutcamp

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2003, 03:04:10 PM »

Isn't Malachi 3 addressing only the priests and not the Jews of that time?  The reason I ask is due to Malachi 2...

Malachi 2:1-9
And now, O ye priests, this commandment is for you.
If ye will not hear, and if ye will not lay it to heart, to give glory unto my name, saith the LORD of hosts, I will even send a curse upon you, and I will curse your blessings: yea, I have cursed them already, because ye do not lay it to heart.
Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces, even the dung of your solemn feasts; and one shall take you away with it.
And ye shall know that I have sent this commandment unto you, that my covenant might be with Levi, saith the LORD of hosts.
My covenant was with him of life and peace; and I gave them to him for the fear wherewith he feared me, and was afraid before my name.
The law of truth was in his mouth, and iniquity was not found in his lips: he walked with me in peace and equity, and did turn many away from iniquity.
For the priest's lips should keep knowledge, and they should see the law at his mouth: for he is the messenger of the LORD of hosts.
But ye are departed out of the way; ye have caused many to stumble at the law; ye have corrupted the covenant of Levi, saith the LORD of hosts.
Therefore have I also made you contemptible and base before all the people, according as ye have not kept my ways, but have been partial in the law."

It seems the priest's weren't giving glory to His name...maybe holding back on the tithes and offerings.

What make ye of that?

Doug Johnson

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2003, 03:44:28 PM »
Are we not the Priests of God?

Revelation 1:6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Revelation 5:10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

Withoutcamp

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2003, 04:04:00 PM »
Well, I'm certainly not a Levite priest.
And if we are going to use being a "priest", who is bringing you and me their tithes and offerings?  

Also, to my understanding, tithes were produce and not money to be brought to the storehouse.God did allow those who couldn't carry their tithe to the place appointed if the tithe was to much to handle...instead, they could go sell their produce...take the money...buy food and fermented drink and eat to the glory of Him...also, not forgetting to give a portion to the Levite priests in their local town.

If I don't attend a "church" building, then where would I take my "tithe"?...where would this storehouse be?

I guess it just seems to me that "churches" are guilting people into giving to God...as not to rob Him.  The priests didn't have an allotment of their own, so they were given a portion of the tithe.  

Shouldn't we give cheerfully....out of love, instead of doing it out of duty?  

Thanks for your response,
Withoutcamp

judykanova

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2003, 05:35:17 PM »
Withoutcamp,

You ask:
If I don't attend a "church" building, then where would I take my "tithe"?...where would this storehouse be?

We give to the place from which we obtain spiritual food -- faithful teaching of the Word of God.

Gal 6:6-8
6 Let him that is taught in the word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things.
7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to  the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

Giving in this context is a form of worship (worth-ship), whereby we show the worth or value we hold for God and His Holy Word.  To do otherwise, we would be considered robbers and dishonest stewards, because all we have belongs to the Lord.

Mal 3:8
8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

This typically means money, but also includes the way we use our God given talents, skills, spritual gifts, time & energy, etc.

judy

'For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.'   Ps 119:89

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]