[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Where Did Old Testament Believers Go When They Died?  (Read 27102 times)

George

• I'm a llama!
Re: Where Did Old Testament Believers Go When They Died?
« Reply #120 on: December 15, 2017, 05:28:24 AM »

No, we like old threads here as exegesis of Scriptures never gets old and new points always arise.

Well not everyone likes old threads. Melanie does, but I don't know anyone else.

Anyway, our view is that the Old Testament believers did not have any of the benefits of regeneration, indwelling of the Holy Spirit, etc. that are the exclusive privilege of New Testament Christians. So in their dispensation they couldn't have gone to heaven before Christ. There is a total disconnection, of those in previous dispensations from those in the dispensation of grace.

Frank Mortimer

« Reply #121 on: December 15, 2017, 08:39:16 AM »
Hi all,

I was reading this post the other day and this scripture came to mind. 

Matthew 22:32 (KJV)
31 But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying,
32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the LIVING.

God bless.

Mark

The passage is most telling.  Those words of Christ are in harmony with all of God's word only if Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob had not really died, but were presently and consciously living in the presence of God. To look at it any other way is to presume Christ was wrong and they were dead, unconscious, not living, and God was a God of the dead.

Luke 24:5
"And as they were afraid, and bowed down their faces to the earth, they said unto them, Why seek ye the living among the dead?"

The same could be said of those who believe Old Testament saints were dead.

Frank Mortimer

« Reply #122 on: December 15, 2017, 08:42:40 AM »
Well not everyone likes old threads. Melanie does, but I don't know anyone else.

Speak for yourself George. Because you're right, you don't know anyone else. I for one love Melanie's posts and hope she will continue to provide such wonderful food for thought. As opposed to non bible based ideas about dispensationalism without scripture or logic.

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #123 on: December 16, 2017, 06:16:23 AM »
>>>
The passage is most telling.  Those words of Christ are in harmony with all of God's word only/b] if Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob had not really died, but were presently and consciously living in the presence of God. To look at it any other way is to presume Christ was wrong and they were dead, unconscious, not living, and God was a God of the dead.
<<<

Exactly! The glorious truth is that God would not call himself the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, if these Patriarchs had really ceased to exist when their bodies died years ago, He would have said to Moses "I was the God of Abraham." He is their God because they live!

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]