[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: What is Fasting? Why do Christians Fast?  (Read 17221 times)

stacia

• Not worthy
What is Fasting? Why do Christians Fast?
« on: July 11, 2003, 10:56:11 AM »
Dear All in Christ,
Is there anything such as Fasting and Praying as the pentecostals do?
Just curious ::)

Beechwood

• Fishers of Men
Re: What is Fasting? Why do Christians Fast?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2003, 07:33:08 AM »
I don't know that it is as the Pentecostals do, I wouldn't do anything as they do. But I do know there is fasting and prayer.

Mark 9:29 And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.

1 Cor 7:5 Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.

stacia

• Not worthy
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2003, 10:16:24 AM »
quote:Mark 9:29 And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.

The above passage Jesus is telling the disciples about exorcism,we cannot take one scripture and make our own statements.Is there exorcism anymore now?It is just by the gospel the evil spirit flees.
Correct me if I am wrong

Mike Repass

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2003, 03:42:02 PM »
Quote:
Is there anything such as Fasting and Praying as the pentecostals do?

Are you refering to Fasting in order to receive favor from God and Praying all at once making a loud chatter? Or is there something else you see them doing?

stacia

• Not worthy
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2003, 11:24:22 AM »
Mike,
I was just curious as it is written in scripture.
I know I cannot please God with my belly, whether I fast or eat.I just wanted to know by scripture for what purpose fast was recommended.
God bless

jd@

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2003, 01:12:26 AM »

I don't know that it is as the Pentecostals do, I wouldn't do anything as they do.

Well, surely Beechwood - there must be something you can learn from them...  :-\

I know I cannot please God with my belly, whether I fast or eat.

Is that in the bible?  I would have thought that the bible says a fair bit about fasting - surely it must be helpful in certain situations.  

We are told quite clearly to glorify God in our eating and drinking!!

Talking about fasting, is it the same as dieting?  What do people think??

Jeff

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2003, 09:07:42 AM »
there must be something you can learn from them...  

The only good thing to learn from Pentecostals is to stear as far away from them as possible. The same thing you can learn from Pharisees, Muslums, and other false religion teachers.

2 John 1:10
    "If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:"

Jeff

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2003, 09:13:15 AM »

I would have thought that the bible says a fair bit about fasting - surely it must be helpful in certain situations. 

It all depends upon what you think of as a biblical fast.

Isaiah 58:5-6
"Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the LORD?
 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?"

So if you want to afflict yourself with hunger, go right ahead. But God has a greater fast in mind.

jd@

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2003, 06:10:33 PM »
The only good thing to learn from Pentecostals is to stear as far away from them as possible. The same thing you can learn from Pharisees, Muslums, and other false religion teachers.

2 John 1:10
    "If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:"

I would be very careful if I were you, in classing all Pentecostals in with Pharisees and Muslims.  Which doctrine is John talking about?  It's the teaching of Jesus Christ coming in the flesh.  Or possibly, has come in the flesh.  But all the pentecostals I know would earnestly acknowledge both of these things.

So you'd have to back up your assertation, Jeff, or else it will look like slander.

Robert Powell

• "fruit of the righteous, a tree of Life" Pr 11:30
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2003, 06:40:47 PM »
I would be very careful if I were you, in classing all Pentecostals in with Pharisees and Muslims.  Which doctrine is John talking about?  It's the teaching of Jesus Christ coming in the flesh.  Or possibly, has come in the flesh.  But all the pentecostals I know would earnestly acknowledge both of these things.

We are careful in saying that Pentecostals and Charismatics are of another doctrine. That's why Jeff used that passage God gave about not receiving them. Pentecostal gospel is not the doctrine of Christ, it's the false self-centered doctrine of works, experientialism, signs, and wonders.

2 John 1:10 "If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:"

If you are under the impression that merely saying "Christ is come in the flesh" means they're saved, then you are sadly mistaken. Anyone can say that and it doesn't mean anything. Satan himself said that. Did that mean he was saved.

I think you'll find that most people here know false gospels. Not by just calling them that, but by the scriptures and their fruits. We have no reason to fear saying so, and saying it dogmatically.

2 Corinthians 11:4 "For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him."

jd@

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2003, 01:15:06 AM »
I guess I need to clear a couple of things up before I get in too deep here.  Robert, are you saying that pentecostalism is incompatible with Christianity?  In other words, that there's no such thing as a pentecostal Christian?  If you are, then we either have a different idea of what it means to be a Christian or we have a different idea of what it means to be a pentecostal.

But maybe you're saying that it is just a mis-guided, unbiblical, form of Christianity.  Would that be nearer the truth?

I think you'll find that most people here know false gospels.

Do you mean on this forum?  I realise I'm a johnny-come-lately,  but I was a bit surprised to see this.  How do other people feel?

For that matter, what other false gospels do you have in mind?  Are there degrees of falsity??  Can you be a Christian and still follow a false gospel???

stacia

• Not worthy
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2003, 11:46:26 AM »
I too come out from a pentecostal background and i am really sorry to say that the deception there is the worst I have ever seen.They potray the false gospel and many are following it.I think it is somewhat like a magic show and I am really sorry to say that but there is no substitute word for that.No one can be called a Christian who follow the false christ
God bless

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2003, 11:53:29 AM »
I suggest that you read Tony Warren's article on biblical fasting:

http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/bible/fast.html

Peace,
Erik Diamond
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2003, 11:09:51 AM »
Hello Friends,

My mother in law and I was in clash over "fasting" last night. Here is what happened:

I got the impression that I might get job interview today or tomorrow because of responses I got from employer. My mother in law, (I will call her Lynn), was so exciting that she will fast and skip dinner to have God heard her favor hoping that I will get job interview.  I reminded her that her "fasting" is unbiblical and she does not have to skip food in order to have God blessed us or grant us wish.

Lynn was upset thinking I don't understand "spiritual things" and how important it is to fast per several verses that she pointed me at. I knew she misinterpreted it with preconivence, thanks to those silly ministries like Joyce Myers who brainwashed Lynn.  I also caught Lynn speaking in tongue in same room where my wife was giving birth of our son!  

With patience, I rebuke her with love and tried to explain biblical fast and other things to her but she thought I was crazy to avoid those "special gifts" and believe that I did not understand anything.  

I explained that I personally believe that biblical fast was in christ which was done for us. And we do the work IN CHRIST.  Not  keeping our body from literal food in order to get whatever we demand from God. Or speaking in gibberish tongues to earn favor from God. I thought that was absurd!  

Can anyone here help me with extra verses to explain more about biblical fasting other than what I shared with Tony's writting on fasting.  I think that Lynn felt insult and thought that I am not even "born again" yet!

Thank God that my wife is on my side and agreed with my belief.  :-)

Erik Diamond

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Bradley

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2003, 05:35:17 PM »
Hey Erik,

I'm sure you have probably already read this article, but others might find it enlightening.

http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/bible/fast.html

I would suggest focusing on Isaiah 58:6.  Do some study into the key phrases of this verse to help further explain the true fast of God.

Bradley

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]