[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Pray your Flight be not in Winter, neither on the Sabbath Day  (Read 19064 times)

Drew

• I'm a llama!
What does this passage of matthew 24 mean?

Matthew 24:20 "But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:"

Deuce Johnson

• I'm a llama!
Re: Pray your Flight be not in Winter, neither on the Sabbath Day
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2003, 07:36:59 AM »
What does this passage of matthew 24 mean?

Matthew 24:20 "But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:"

It doesn't mean the 7th day sabbath, it is speaking spiritually of a day of rest when there is no more light in the world because the holy spirit has been taken from the Church.

John 9:4-5
  "I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
  As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world."

It is talking about a day when Christ is taken out of the world and no man can work. Where there is no work, there is rest. Sabbath means rest.

Sandy

• Gold Member
  • I Stand Coram Deo
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2003, 03:42:06 PM »
Hello Drew,

I too have wonder what Christ meant when He says,  Matthew 24:20 "But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:"

In the Old Testament Law the Sabbath Day was a day set aside for the worship of God.  No work of any kind was to be done on the Sabbath Day.  When we entered the New Testament Era, Christ changed the holy day of worship from Saturday to Sunday.  Yet there are still many professing Christians who insist that Saturday is still the holy day, and insist that all the commandments concerning ceremonial observances are still to be kept.  These people are still under the law.  They will not accept that Christ was the fulfillment of all the ceremonial, and sacrificial laws from the Old Testament.

Therefore I wonder if Christ may be telling us to pray that our flight not take us to one of these places where the law is still in effect.  These denominations teach a works/grace gospel, which is no gospel at all.  If our flight took us to one of them, then we too would be under the hearing and teaching of a false gospel, and would still be relying on the keeping of the law for salvation.  

Also if our flight took us to a place that is in winter, this could mean this place has no true life.  Winter symbolizes the season of lifelessness.  A season where there is no new growth.    

Layla

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2003, 05:54:09 PM »
Greetings

Thank you Deuce for the explanation.  It is the first time that question has been answered to my satisfaction.   8)

I'm curious as to your thoughts within that particular verse regarding winter.  I don't really have it quite understood to my satisfaction, but I figured it might have something to do with the harvest being past?  Harvest in Fall which comes before Winter?

Thanks
Layla

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2003, 05:16:04 AM »
>>>
I'm curious as to your thoughts within that particular verse regarding winter.  I don't really have it quite understood to my satisfaction, but I figured it might have something to do with the harvest being past?  Harvest in Fall which comes before Winter?
<<<

Deuce and layla, I think that you both are correct. Winter in scripture is the time of hardship, deprivation and storms where there is a lack of stores in the field. It is a time when all the harvest is done and there can be no more increase. A time when the work in the field has ended. Like the Sabbath, I believe it signifies a time of rest, when the earth rests from its work.

And I also think that (Like the Sabbath in Matthew) it also symbolizes a time when salvation has ended on earth and there can be no more work in the field. There is no more fruits of the field to harvest. It is the time when no man can work to bring an increase.

Song of Solomon 2:11
  • "For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone;"

Here God is illustrating that the rain of the winter storms is past. The time of privation and hardship is gone, and with summer comes flowers and new life. But winter preceding it is illustrated as tempest, storm, trouble, a time when life is dorment. That's why I believe Matthew 24 warns, "pray our flight be not in winter."

Jeremiah 8:20
  • "The harvest is past, the summer is ended, and we are not saved."

I believe this is what it is talking about. A period when time has run out for man to be delivered or saved. Pray that man's flight from Judea is not at a time when salvation has ended and no man can work. Because if we are not saved then (Reelation 7:3), we will be under judgement and wrath of God.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"i acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

stacia

• Not worthy
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 06:51:37 AM »
Matthew 24
15  When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)
16  Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:
17  Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:
18  Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes.
19  And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!
20  But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:
21  For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
22  And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened

Can anyone explain the above verses.
Also sabbath talks about rest.See verse 20 Jesus says pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:.This rest is for the elect isnt it? Can it be that after God has sealed his elect there will be no salvation in the great tribulation?
Why is the great tribulation different?See verse 21  For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
Expecting your views
God bless

Taro

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 07:50:29 AM »
Stacia --

Winter and sabbath have to do with a time of no salvation.  The GT is a time that this world had never experienced before or never will, and that could only be a time when there was silence in heaven for the space of about half hour (Rev 8:1).  But we know that the GT is one hour.   If the silence (no salvation) is about half hour we know that the space of about half hour remaining would be a time of great harvest (Rev. 7:9).  So when we read that "those days" will be shortened (speaking of the GT) for the sake of the elects... we know that the GT will be shortened so that the elects of God to be saved will become saved during the latter half of the GT period in which God is saving a multitude outside the church. 

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 10:49:54 AM »
Also sabbath talks about rest.See verse 20 Jesus says pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:.This rest is for the elect isnt it? Can it be that after God has sealed his elect there will be no salvation in the great tribulation?
Why is the great tribulation different?See verse 21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
Expecting your views

The winter is a season of hardship, a time of no growth, meaning no salvation.  Christ warned us to pray that our flight is not in winter because in winter, it is too late for production.  As for harvest, it has come and gone. For exmaple, the season for growth is over and there is no more chance for salvation.  This is why God  will have all of His people to be sealed BEFORE the hour of great tribulation that Matthew 24 speaks of: 

Rev 7:1  And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.
Rev 7:2  And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea,
Rev 7:3  Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads.
Rev 7:4  And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed a hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel.

The winter and sabbath of great tribulation will not start until God have sealed ALL (not some) of His people. The winter and Sabbath does not last 'about half an hour' as Taro believes.  It lasts the whole Great Tribulation period before Second Coming of Christ.  The silence in heaven reflect the death of the Two Witnesses in the church for 3 and half days before God will begin judge church.  Not resume Salvation again, inside or outside church!   

We need to read the following verse carefully:   

Mat 24:13  But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

'he' is anyone whom God have sealed before the Great Tribulation, the same will be alive to experience great tribulation period until the Second Coming.  Nothing is said here about new salvation program, apart from people God already sealed, being resumed!  And no where in Bible that states God will use sealed people to save MORE people sometime during the great tribulation period.

We have to understand that the great tribulation is worse that the world have ever seen. It will be a short period that Satan will gathered his army all over the four quarters of the earth. Not just attack the church. It does not mean that Satan and his army will be preoccuiped within the church, leaving the rest of the world for us to save MORE people as some people believe.  If these days of these false prophets, deception, and great tribulation where not shortened, then no one would be saved. Simple as that.

Jeremiah 8:20
"The harvest is past, the summer is ended, and we are not saved."

This is what it's talking about. A period when time has run out for man to be saved. Pray that man's flight from Judea is not at a time when Salvation has ended and no man can work. Because if anyone are not saved (or sealed) then, they will be under judgement and wrath of God.

Erik
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Taro

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 12:55:56 PM »
Hi Stacia, Eirk --

Daniel 11:35 And [some] of them of understanding shall fall, to try them, and to purge, and to make [them] white, [even] to the time of the end: because [it is] yet for a time appointed. 

Here in Daniel it says to the time of the end.  So up to the very end, many will still be made white.  How plain can this be. 

We read in Revelation 7:13-14

And one of the elders answered, saying unto me, What are these which are arrayed in white robes? and whence came they? And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

Here in Revelaiton 7 we read that those whose robes were made WHITE were those who came out of "great tribulation".  So we know that this is speaking about those who will become saved to the time of the end, using the language of Daniel 11. 

No salvaiton continues in the corporate church.  We read this language in Jeremiah.  But outside the corporate church there is still a final harvest.  And that will continue to the end. 

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 01:30:51 PM »
Daniel 11:35 And [some] of them of understanding shall fall, to try them, and to purge, and to make [them] white, [even] to the time of the end: because [it is] yet for a time appointed. 

Here in Daniel it says to the time of the end.  So up to the very end, many will still be made white.  How plain can this be.

Taro,

I don't think you read the context carefully. People like yourself have tiptoed around this prophecy by Christ is specifically addressing the "Abomination that makes desolate" spoken of by the prophet Daniel! Yet for some unspoken reason, you refusse to receive what Christ said concerning Daniel's prophesy. It is NOT the end of the world or the last day, there is yet time!

Daniel 11:31-35

• "And arms shall stand on his part, and they shall pollute the sanctuary of strength, and shall take away the daily sacrifice, and they shall place the abomination that maketh desolate.

And such as do wickedly against the covenant shall he corrupt by flatteries: but the people that do know their God shall be strong, and do exploits.

And they that understand among the people shall instruct many: yet they shall fall by the sword, and by flame, by captivity, and by spoil, many days.

Now when they shall fall, they shall be holpen with a little help: but many shall cleave to them with flatteries.

And some of them of understanding shall fall, to try them, and to purge, and to make them white, even to the time of the end: because it is yet for a time appointed."

Daniel 12:9-12

• "And he said, Go thy way, Daniel: for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end.

Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand; but the wise shall understand.

And from the time that the daily sacrifice shall be taken away, and the abomination that maketh desolate set up, there shall be a thousand two hundred and ninety days.

Blessed is he that waiteth, and cometh to the thousand three hundred and five and thirty days."

The time of the end is not the last day. It is a time appointed with daily sacrifice, abomination that maketh desolate, and 1,335th day when Christ returns. It is a period called Great Tribulation when the book of Daniel shall be opened to the wise during that time!  Based on context, it does not mean that many will be saved (made white) during the 'time of the end', but many shall be made white until time of the end, but after that, no more salvation before Christ returns.

Salvation outside corporate church during the great tribulation as other group believe is wishful thinking and is unbiblical.

Erik

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

stacia

• Not worthy
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 11:49:09 PM »
Erik,
You mean that the the book will be opened to the wise during the great tribulation.Are the elect saved before or during the great tribulation?Has the great tribulation begun?
Daniel 11:31-35

"And arms shall stand on his part, and they shall pollute the sanctuary of strength, and shall take away the daily sacrifice, and they shall place the abomination that maketh desolate.

And such as do wickedly against the covenant shall he corrupt by flatteries: but the people that do know their God shall be strong, and do exploits.

And they that understand among the people shall instruct many: yet they shall fall by the sword, and by flame, by captivity, and by spoil, many days.

Now when they shall fall, they shall be holpen with a little help: but many shall cleave to them with flatteries.

And some of them of understanding shall fall, to try them, and to purge, and to make them white, even to the time of the end: because it is yet for a time appointed."

yet for a time appointed.Is this great tribulation?
God bless

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006, 01:10:39 AM »
Erik,
You mean that the the book will be opened to the wise during the great tribulation.Are the elect saved before or during the great tribulation?Has the great tribulation begun?

Dan 12:8  And I heard, but I understood not: then said I, O my Lord, what shall be the end of these things?
Dan 12:9  And he said, Go thy way, Daniel: for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end.
Dan 12:10  Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand; but the wise shall understand.
Dan 12:11  And from the time that the daily sacrifice shall be taken away, and the abomination that maketh desolate set up, there shall be a thousand two hundred and ninety days.
Dan 12:12  Blessed is he that waiteth, and cometh to the thousand three hundred and five and thirty days.
Dan 12:13  But go thou thy way till the end be: for thou shalt rest, and stand in thy lot at the end of the days.

The book of Daniel was shut up so that no one will be able to understand the prophecies concerning daily sacrifice, abomination of desolation, 1290 days, and 1335 days UNTIL the 'time of the end'.  The time of the end is a short period right before Second Coming which is called "Great Tribulation".  That is why Jesus warned:

Mat 24:15  When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)
Mat 24:16  Then let them which be in Judea flee into the mountains:

Jesus said that WHEN you see the abomination of desolation, predicted by Prophet Daniel, flee from church (Judea).  It did not happen at the cross. It did not happened in 70 A.D.  It did not happen in dark age.  It did not happen in World War One.  And it did not do anything with National Israel and her claim of literal city of Jersualem.  It happened when God poured his Spirit of Life upon Two Witnesses (REV 11:11)  to allow His People to discern Abomination of Desolation in their church.  The time of the end is not the last day or Second Coming as most supposed.  It is actually a short period when God will allow His People to discern the signs of the Great Tribulation period, which was yet time appointed!  Only God knows when Great Tribulation's appointment will be.

Therefore, it will be the time when the Wise (wise virgins, Two Witnesses, God's Elects, Kings of the earth, Merchants of the earth, etc.) will be able to understand what Prophet Daniel was talking about.  If we do understand, we will KNOW that God is judging Babylon and our King Jesus is coming soon.

Luk 21:28  And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

When you start to see abomination of desolation, rise of false christs and false prophets, Jerusalem (churches) being compassed by armies of Satan,etc. within the context, then like FIG TREE, you will KNOW that Jesus' coming is right at the door. Only the wise shall understand. But the foolish will not understand because they are being decived by false prophets in their churches.

Peace,
Erik

stacia

• Not worthy
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006, 04:32:04 AM »
Erik,

Dan 12:8  And I heard, but I understood not: then said I, O my Lord, what shall be the end of these things?
Dan 12:9  And he said, Go thy way, Daniel: for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end.
Dan 12:10  Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand; but the wise shall understand.
Dan 12:11  And from the time that the daily sacrifice shall be taken away, and the abomination that maketh desolate set up, there shall be a thousand two hundred and ninety days.
Dan 12:12  Blessed is he that waiteth, and cometh to the thousand three hundred and five and thirty days.
Dan 12:13  But go thou thy way till the end be: for thou shalt rest, and stand in thy lot at the end of the days.

The book of Daniel was shut up so that no one will be able to understand the prophecies concerning daily sacrifice, abomination of desolation, 1290 days, and 1335 days UNTIL the 'time of the end'.  The time of the end is a short period right before Second Coming which is called "Great Tribulation".  That is why Jesus warned:

Mat 24:15  When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)

Jesus said that WHEN you see the abomination of desolation, predicted by Prophet Daniel, flee from church (Judea).  It did not happen at the cross. It did not happened in 70 A.D.  It did not happen in dark age.  It did not happen in World War One.  And it did not do anything with National Israel and her claim of literal city of Jersualem.  It happened when God poured his Spirit of Life upon Two Witnesses (REV 11:11)  to allow His People to discern Abomination of Desolation in their church.  The time of the end is not the last day or Second Coming as most supposed.  It is actually a short period when God will allow His People to discern the signs of the Great Tribulation period, which was yet time appointed!  Only God knows when Great Tribulation's appointment will be.

Therefore, it will be the time when the Wise (wise virgins, Two Witnesses, God's Elects, Kings of the earth, Merchants of the earth, etc.) will be able to understand what Prophet Daniel was talking about.  If we do understand, we will KNOW that God is judging Babylon and our King Jesus is coming soon.

Luk 21:28  And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

When you start to see abomination of desolation, rise of false christs and false prophets, Jerusalem (churches) being compassed by armies of Satan,etc. within the context, then like FIG TREE, you will KNOW that Jesus' coming is right at the door. Only the wise shall understand. But the foolish will not understand because they are being decived by false prophets in their churches.

Peace,
Erik
Erik,
Luke 21:28
Says when these things begin to come to pass then look up and lift up your heads for your redemption draweth nigh.
That means we are already in the Great tribulation.
Only the elect will get wisdom this time to understand Gods word correctly.Isnt it?

stacia

• Not worthy
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 04:41:07 AM »
Erik,

Doesnt this mean that this is the beginning of the great tribulation?
Also please explain this verse.
  Re 7:14 And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb
what is this talking about?
God bless

dad1057

• saved by grace !
    • The True Grace of God
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006, 07:00:22 PM »
Stacia --

Winter and sabbath have to do with a time of no salvation.  The GT is a time that this world had never experienced before or never will, and that could only be a time when there was silence in heaven for the space of about half hour (Rev 8:1).  But we know that the GT is one hour.   If the silence (no salvation) is about half hour we know that the space of about half hour remaining would be a time of great harvest (Rev. 7:9).  So when we read that "those days" will be shortened (speaking of the GT) for the sake of the elects... we know that the GT will be shortened so that the elects of God to be saved will become saved during the latter half of the GT period in which God is saving a multitude outside the church. 

So are you saying that there will be elect believing the truth right before christ return ?
acts 20:  24But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]