[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Should Christians Get Tattoos and Body Piercings?  (Read 32122 times)

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
Re: Should Christians Get Tattoos and Body Piercings?
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2014, 10:50:53 AM »
I've got tattoos and I don't care what you or anyone else says.

Although you are not Christian, you fit right in with the thinking of some Christians. Or at least some who say they are Christian.

I like them, it's my right to have them, and who are you to tell me it's wrong.

A witness to the word of God. Nothing more.

The only thing wrong in this world is when you hurt someone else, not doing anything to yourself or having fun or loving anyone. If it's not injuring anyone else, anyone is free to do what they want.

So if I want to run naked through a preschool class, that's OK since I'm injuring no one according to your philosophy? I can do whatever I want? Yes, that's the carnal view, which you not being a Christian, you are free to take. But that is not the Christian view. In our religion, we cannot do whatever we want, we do what is God's will. We follow Christ. That's why we're called Christian. Get it? Christ-ian! Why do you spend so much time attempting to tell Christians not to follow Christ, but do their own thing?

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2014, 10:59:31 AM »
Or piercing His nose, or gambling in Vegas. There is just no love of God in Christians these days. And I know, I'll be called old fashioned, but that has nothing to do with following Christ's example. That is timeless.

Not according to today's Church. According to them, the laws in Leviticus against tattoos were simply cultural laws, and have no standing today because we live in a different culture. You said it correctly, we're all called old fashioned when we still follow God's word. But so be it.

Again, it bears repeating, one of the very best articles I've ever read against this practice of tattoos and body piercings is from Tony Warren.

http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/faq/should_christians_get_tattoos.html

Because it addresses most of the lame objections, and point blank asks the relevant questions. Are they done out of Christian modesty or out of a desire to draw attention? Are they done to give glory and honor to the Lord God, or to bring attention, glory and praise of ones self? Best of all, it addresses the elephant in the room, the alleged Christian liberty.

Wanda

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2014, 12:16:05 PM »
   Most Reformed Christians take a libertarian view of the body and personal freedoms in that we have Christian liberty to rebel against unfair taxes, eat whatever we want, drink alcohol, smoke pipes, cigars or cigarette, get tattoos and gamble. T

Alex, don't presume to speak for the reformed community, you don't. At best you can speak for yourself.  As for freedom to rebel against unfair taxes, to eat whatever we want (blood?), to drink alcohol, to smoke pipes, cigars or cigarette, and get tattoos, body piercing and to gamble? I would say that even the non-Christian would look at all those things and raise their eyebrows in discerning that Christians doing them seem out of place.  Why is it Christians cannot discern what even the world can discern? Is it because some Christians want so much to be like the world they don't know the difference between serving God and serving their carnal nature?

Wanda

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2014, 12:17:50 PM »

Although you are not Christian, you fit right in with the thinking of some Christians. Or at least some who say they are Christian.

Did Maurice say he is not a Christian, or is this your supposition?

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2014, 06:25:09 AM »

Did Maurice say he is not a Christian, or is this your supposition?

Words from his own mouth.  :'(

Fred

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2014, 05:01:16 PM »

I'm convinced that guys get tattoos because they want to appear bad or a rebel, and girls get tattoos for the same reason that they all secretly want bad boys. And they do! It's because they want to appear bad or rebellious themselves.

Ed Holcombe

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2014, 08:57:45 PM »
I change my mind to often to get something as permanent as a tattoo.  Never make a purchase you can't resell.   

Soldier

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2014, 11:05:49 AM »

William B

« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2014, 06:46:09 PM »
I'm another one who cannot understand this morbid and obviously carnal fascination of Christians with tattoos, immodest clothing and vanity that seems to have come over the entire world. What is its charm? There are very few things more visually disturbing than seeing a person plastered with tattoos or nose rings. It's pagan and unseemly. I don't get it and I never will. Unbelievers I can understand a little bit because they're not spiritually wise, but why so many Christians?

Proverbs 11:2 says that when pride comes, then comes shame. But with the lowly comes wisdom. Shouldn't Christians understand that?

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • 🌴"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. -Psalm 52:8"
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2019, 02:42:56 AM »
So all in all can I glorify God with piercings...you bet I can. If you walked up to a troubled Teen on the street and started telling them how wonderful God is and you look like a dork(not saying you do lol but to kids most adults are boring and are dorks) and I walked up to him looking like I do with my piercings and told him about God, which do you think he would listen to? A dorky boring person or someone that looks like they aren't as boring as people think Christians have to be?

When I read this, I couldn't help but think that this is one of the worst analogies I've ever heard. That someone drawn of God is more likely to listen to someone with piercings and Tattoos, than to someone without them? I don't believe that.

First, there is no evidence of that.
Second, when I became saved I was looking for something different, not something the same.
Third, Christians are supposed to be different.
Fourth, God tells us that it is he who draws people to him, not our dress, appearance or our tattoos.

So I think Tasha was looking at this strictly from a humanistic point of view, and not from a biblical perspective. We don't have to become like the world in order to draw the world to Christ. That seems to be the gist of what she was saying. I believe rather than help, that would be counterproductive.

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2019, 12:33:53 PM »
>>>
God does not care if we dress nice, have nice things and adorn ourselves as long as what is in our heart is pure.
<<<

Just an additional thought since we're here, obviously this is incorrect because God's word takes a very different view, and in fact just the opposite view. If God didn't care how we adorn ourselves, He would not have inspired it written that we take care how we adorn ourselves.

1st Timothy 2:9-10
  • "In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
  • But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works."

1st Peter 3:3-5
  • "Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;
  • But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.
  • For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands:"

Note how it speaks of how the Holy Women of old adorned themselves modestly, and not like the world. So while some may think it unimportant the outward adorning, clearly God thinks otherwise and connects it to holiness, Godly modesty and how this illustrates the true "spiritual" adorning of gold on the body.

>>>
Noone can judge who is just and who is not except for God himself...
<<<

And God judges what is just and unjust by His Holy word, not by anyone's feelings, ideas about conventions, the latest craze, trends, fashions, customs, or personal opinions about the beauty or magnetism of tattoos, nose rings or tongue piercings.

Luke 21:5-6
  • "And as some spake of the temple, how it was adorned with goodly stones and gifts, he said,
  • As for these things which ye behold, the days will come, in the which there shall not be left one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down."

Our bodies are built up collectively (1st Peter 2:5) the Holy Temple of God, and in righteousness let it be adorned with spiritual gifts more precious than gold and silver. Not with gaudy or worldly tattoos or other vain and superficial things unto no profit--lest we, like the house before us, become the stones that one day will be thrown down. Selah.

>>>
and so far...looks like God has stated very clearly that piercings do not make you any less Christian.
<<<

I note that no one said that piercings or tattoos make anyone less Christian. I know there are many Godly Christians who have a tattoo or who have piercings, but we're not talking about anyone's salvation. That's not the question at hand. Rather, that is a distraction from the question at hand, which is "Should Christians Get Tattoos and Body Piercings?"  I believe from the scriptures that they should not, in part because we are "set apart" a different, unique, special, peculiar, chosen acquisition and example. We are not to give an uncertain or confused appearance. God's word says we shouldn't even give an "appearance" of evil. That's what being a conscientious Christian means. As a Christian, I wouldn't sit in a bar drinking every night to "allegedly" witness more effectively to alcoholics. No one would dress like a prostitute and stand on a corner in order to more effectively witness to Prostitutes. So the premise is fatally flawed and is actually a convenient excuse to be like the world. Even though we must live in the world, we are not to be "of the world." We are not to be drawn to the exact same sensual characteristics, holding to the exact same trends, part of the exact same customs, appearances, markings and mindset. We are set apart "from" them as a holy and "diverse" people unto the Lord. A separated people who are (or should be) clearly "distinct" from the world.

Today's Christian doesn't want/desire to be separate from the world, but to justify living as close to the world as possible while still taking on the name of Christ. That includes in its immodesty, in speech, in dress, in lifestyles and in adorning the body to be seen and so on and so forth. So much so that no one can even tell the difference anymore. And if any faithful Christian happens to stand up and say "wait, what's wrong with this picture," they're called attackers, judgmental, unloving and just plain mean. I don't buy that. As in the days of old, truth is no longer acceptable and Godly judgment looked upon as legalistic and wrong.

Isaiah 59:14-15
  • "And judgment is turned away backward, and justice standeth afar off: for truth is fallen in the street, and equity cannot enter.
  • Yea, truth faileth; and he that departeth from evil maketh himself a prey: and the LORD saw it, and it displeased him that there was no judgment."

Thus saith the Preacher, there is no new thing under the sun. Everything that is, has been before. And this attitude toward pagan practices, behaviors and conventions is no exception.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"i acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]