[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Should Christians Get Tattoos and Body Piercings?  (Read 32145 times)

Chicago Bear

• A Chicagoan Named Bear
Should Christians Get Tattoos and Body Piercings?
« on: July 08, 2003, 09:35:18 AM »

I was reading an article about tattoos that suggested it was fine for Christians to get them. I was wondering what you all thought of Christians getting Tattoos and body piercings. I don't think that it Christian at all, as God says don't make marks on your body. And the people I see doing it can hardly be described as God fearing or conscientious. But I am interested in hearing your views and why you feel this way. I ask because my daughter was asking about getting one, and I forbade it. Just want to know the biblical reasons.
Either the Bible will Keep you from Sin, or sin will keep you from the Bible

TashaJordan

Re: Should Christians Get Tattoos and Body Piercings?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 04:24:25 AM »
Elsewhere on this site I found info about how body piercings are a sin and about how God tells us not to get them.
I would like to state my peice on this.
The sciptures always quoted on how its wrong are
Deuteronomy 14:1(Amp.): "You are the sons of the LORD your God: you shall not cut yourselves, or make any baldness on your foreheads for the dead."
and
Lev 19:28 "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord."

Now...... nowhere does god say make not any piercings in your body, he refers to cutting yourself for the dead and I know of noone that gets body piercings for the dead.
God is very specific and should he have meant including not for the dead he would have said it.

One scripture people love to leave out when discussing this is Genesis 24:22
Where God sends Abrahams servant to find a wife for ihis son and tells him that if she does certain things it is her acceptance. Now knowing that God sent this man to find Racheal and propose for Abrahams son and knowing that as a sign of her acceptance Racheal wore a gold nose ring and 2 gold braclets, you would have to realize that God has no problem with piercings....since it was God that has all this done in the first place.

Too many Christians take a scipture and twist it into what they want it to say like "cutting for the dead" being turned into body piercings which have nothing to do with any ritual for dead people.

Just because in some verses like 1 Corinthians 6:19-20,

"What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's."

and

Exodus 32:2-3: "And Aaron said unto them, Break off the golden earrings, which are in the ears of your wives, of your sons, and of your daughters, and bring them unto me. And all the people brake off the golden earrings which were in their ears, and brought them unto Aaron."

People like to use these as some sort of proof not to get pierced as well but nowhere in these do I see anything about give me your earings because they are a sin, they were an offering to God like lambs..... but lambs are not a sin now are they? Nor are grapes or anything else people were asked to give God in sacrafice.

Can we please stop taking scirptures and making them into what we decide we don't like therefor God must have said these things too.

Saying piercings is a sin is like saying so is rock and roll....and nowhere does God state that upbeat music is sinful and its also much like saying boys shouldnt have long hair when Solomon had long hair as told to by God himself and was punished by God for his sin by the cutting of his hair.

Keep Christianity honest not what we want to make it because of our own likes and dislikes.

Tasha

Dave Taylor

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 09:00:24 AM »
Perhaps you should explain the intent and the purpose of peircings Tasha?

Are they done out of modesty; or out of a desire to draw attention?

Are they done to give glory and honor to the Lord; or are they done to bring glory and honor to ones self?

(Remember, I am asking the questions....hoping you can provide the answers....I don't have any piercings, so I can't understand why a Christian would want to have them....hoping you can explain)

Glenda

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 09:07:14 AM »

Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Tasha, In my humble opinion, the piercings are a way that the world is behaving, kinda like the tattoos.

1Cr 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

What do you find glorifying to God about piercing's?

Thank you in advance for your answer! ;)
Glenda
And all the inhabitants of the earth [are] reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and [among] the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou? Daniel 4:35

Kenneth White

• Thinking Christians, Intelligent Theology
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 09:38:49 AM »
Tasha,
  I am of the opinion that even a fool can look at the proliferation of all sorts of piercings and Tatoos and understand the paganistic and Satanic influences of it. There is not one thing that is God glorifying about it. How any person calling themselves Christian could even believe that these are God glorifying actions is beyond my comprehension.

1 Corinthians 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

What part of this "fad" of body piercings and Tattoos are to the glory of the Lord? So the whole premise is doomed from the start, because you begin with a false presupposition that these things are biblical and God glorifying. If they are not, then they are sin. Correct?
Proverbs 1:5-6 "A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels: To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings."

TashaJordan

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 03:38:15 AM »
okay...well satanic? hmmmm then wy would racheal have taken a nose piercing to show her acceptance to marry abrahams son...which god sent like I said in the first email....Now asking me if its gloryfying God to get a piercing, well do you think earing are a sin? so you not dye your hair or streak it? because its all in the same boat guys. Can piercing glorify God, yes...yes they can you are adorning what God gave you. Do you get them to draw attention  to yourself? No, peircings are so common they don't draw attention to anyone. So lets take the Bible then and what it says to compare that to piercing..... well yes, people had nose peircing and stuff in Jesus day like Racheals nose peircing wich was obviously fine by God or he wouldnt have sent someone to get her to marry abrahams son and use a nose ring as her acceptance, but yes, they are very common now......but to say that its the way the world is turning is redicullous, in Jesus day men didnt wear pants, infact God instructed that men were to wear robes like Christ wore and that the only time it was even to resemble pants was when they tucked it into their belt to run. So then youd have to say that men wearing pants....was a turn of the worlds fashion and accentuates the fact you have legs and a bum.....so are you wearing pants to try to get attention? No we wear pants because they are the clothing accetable today, should you wander the streets in a robe trying to tell people how great Christ is they wouldnt liten at all because youd be awfully weird. God in refering to his love for isreal himself used piercing as something he gave people out of love the same with fine silks and such. If we didnt look good and "normal" who would listen to some strangly dressed person telling the about God. They would look at us and think hmmmm.....if I have to dress like that then NO THANKS! Looking like everyone else and not like some stagnant old person from the 50's helps people to listen like maybe Christianity isnt that boring after all and maybe being Christian doesn't make us boring.

Genesis 24:52-53 it says, And it came to pass, when Abraham's servant heard their words, that he worshiped the LORD, [bowing himself] to the earth. 53 Then the servant brought out jewelry of silver, jewelry of gold, and clothing, and gave [them] to Rebekah. He also gave precious things to her brother and to her mother. (NKJV)
 It wasn't a sin or a temptation for the servant to give Rebekah fine clothing or expensive jewelry. The servant was a godly man and Rebekah was a godly woman. And that's the point, although Rebekah did have those things, and obviously wore them at times, she is known for her godliness, not her wardrobe. God doesnt look at what people wear he looks in our hearts. I happen to think that purple contact lenses are pretty neat too and I really don't think God would get mad at them.

Ezekiel 16:10-13 God says, "I clothed you in embroidered cloth and gave you sandals of badger skin; I clothed you with fine linen and covered you with silk. 11 "I adorned you with ornaments, put bracelets on your wrists, and a chain on your neck. 12 "And I put a jewel in your nose, earrings in your ears, and a beautiful crown on your head. 13 "Thus you were adorned with gold and silver, and your clothing [was of] fine linen, silk, and embroidered cloth. You ate [pastry of] fine flour, honey, and oil. You were exceedingly beautiful, and succeeded to royalty. (NKJV)

God does not care if we dress nice, have nice things and adorn ourselves as long as what is in our heart is pure. When I go to heaven I dounbt God will be jusding me on what color my hair is.

To say that thingsare "Satanic" is indeed judging people my friend and judgement IS a sin.

Noone can judge who is just and who is not except for God himself and so far...looks like God has stated very clearly that piercings do not make you any less Christian. The only place anything says that it does is peoples own judgments, not Gods. They same goes for buying expensive cloths and trying to look your best.

So all in all can I glorify God with piercings...you bet I can. If you walked up to a troubled Teen on the street and started telling them how wonderful God is and you look like a dork(not saying you do lol but to kids most adults are boring and are dorks) and I walked up to him looking like I do with my piercings and told him about God, which do you think he would listen to? A dorky boring person or someone that looks like they aren't as boring as people think Christians have to be?

Tasha

Joanne

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 07:44:33 AM »
okay...well satanic? hmmmm then wy would racheal have taken a nose piercing to show her acceptance to marry abrahams son.

Sounds like you are predetermined to rationalize degrading the human body by various piercings. Where is this scripture located that you keep talking about?

Now asking me if its gloryfying God to get a piercing, well do you think earing are a sin?

What does the Bible say about wearing ear rings and plaiting hair? You have your answer. Again, more rationalizations. You know, I sing, but I don't sing perverse songs or songs with explicit lyrics. You wouldn't say all singing is evil because someone sang a bad song would you? You should know the difference shouldn't you?

2 Cor. 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
 15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
 16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
 17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

We are to be a separate people as others have already told you. Not the same as everyone else.

So all in all can I glorify God with piercings...you bet I can. If you walked up to a troubled Teen on the street and started telling them how wonderful God is and you look like a dork(not saying you do lol but to kids most adults are boring and are dorks) and I walked up to him looking like I do with my piercings and told him about God, which do you think he would listen to? A dorky boring person or someone that looks like they aren't as boring as people think Christians have to be?

He would listen to neither, because salvation is not by looks. Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. But seeing how you don't yet understand the working of salvation, I can understand how you don't understand that no one comes to Christ by finding someone's looks agreeable. You need to go back and start from the beginning. Learn about Christ first, then you can teach doctrine.

TashaJordan

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 08:55:21 AM »
I gave the scipture I am talking about,

Genesis 24:22 When the camels had finished drinking, the man took out a gold nose ring weighing a beka [a] and two gold bracelets weighing ten shekels. 23 Then he asked, "Whose daughter are you? Please tell me, is there room in your father's house for us to spend the night?"

If you read before and after as well this is in refernce to racheal accepting a proposal of marriage to abrahams son, god had told the servant who went to propose for him that answer she would give if she accepted, in acceptance she wore the niose ring and bracletes.

as well if you read this next passage about God talking about his love for his people of isreal what does he mention he gives them? As showing him he loves them as if they were his bride?.... A nose ring. Here is that passage.

Ezekiel 16:10-13 God says, "I clothed you in embroidered cloth and gave you sandals of badger skin; I clothed you with fine linen and covered you with silk. 11 "I adorned you with ornaments, put bracelets on your wrists, and a chain on your neck. 12 "And I put a jewel in your nose, earrings in your ears, and a beautiful crown on your head. 13 "Thus you were adorned with gold and silver, and your clothing [was of] fine linen, silk, and embroidered cloth. You ate [pastry of] fine flour, honey, and oil. You were exceedingly beautiful, and succeeded to royalty. (NKJV)

if you read my whole post you would have seen these instead of reading part of it, making up your mind and closing your eyes to the rest.

I am not here to predermine rationalizing anythng I am here to show people that what they have to say about God and piercings is wrong, and hopefully open some eyes. To stop misinformation of someones hatred of something being told as if it were Gods word.
As Christians we should be always studying and learning and opening our hearts not closemindedly making our own rules and saying they are Gods. When someone first told you eatting pork is against God's will did you decide you liked it and would therefor discredit anyone telling you he says otherwise? No, most people listen and go read it for themselves, realize he did indeed say it and then change their thoughts about it.. Why is piercing such a hard thing for people to do the same with?

You quote me corinthians yet who did Christ himself put in his company and shame the disciples for discriminating against? Hookers and tax collectors, thats who, Christ sat with them, talked with them, loved them. I will not refuse to talk with people that are not Christian, noone needs to convert a Christian and you cant convert a non-Christian by never having anything to do with them.

and i am not teaching droctrine here, I am having a discusision on a supposedly Christian board where I have had nothing but non-Christain judgemental responses and by a bunch or rudel people that will be judged as they have judged. I do not want to be part of this board anymore all I have seen is hypocritical people claiming to be so pure and meanwhile doing nothing but degrading others opinions and refusing to maybe learn something. Nor did I ever say that someones look convert someone, however they have alot to do with getting young teens and troubled people to even actually listen past the first 2 seconds to what you have to say.
We are to be seperate people yes, but you are the same as everyone else in wearing pants and you probably own a nice car not a modest falling apart one, and you probably own a nice house not a falling apart shack to be modest in things you own. You cannot apply the rule to one thing and not anotherI  am not a young person, actually I have 4 children and even I don't want to talk to any of you, much less would a teenager who already thinks Christians are evil and have nothing good to say, and definately arent even treating their own with Gods love so probably not anyone else.  Have fun and God bless I am removing myself from the board.

Tasha

Joanne

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 10:17:43 AM »
I don't want to talk to any of you, much less would a teenager who already thinks Christians are evil and have nothing good to say, and definately arent even treating their own with Gods love so probably not anyone else.  Have fun and God bless I am removing myself from the board.

Tasha

More personal experiences. Well, I guess you show yourself afraid, refusing to even consider scriptures given you, choosing instead to run and hide like so many others. I can't say I'll miss you, but I really wish you would pick up a bible sometime and read more than superficially. You might just learn that people don't save, God does.

kirindor

• Reformed and Covenantal
    • Adam Christiansen.org
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005, 01:47:27 AM »
Hi All,

I have been lurking about for a while, and this thread fascinated me. Tasha posed a well reasoned question, showed she has done her homework by the breadth of Scripture that she cited, and the first response was an ad hominem argument against her. Here's the quote of the reply, "Perhaps you should explain the intent and the purpose of peircings Tasha? Are they done out of modesty; or out of a desire to draw attention? Are they done to give glory and honor to the Lord; or are they done to bring glory and honor to ones self? (Remember, I am asking the questions....hoping you can provide the answers....I don't have any piercings, so I can't understand why a Christian would want to have them....hoping you can explain)"

There isn't even the faintest attempt to speak to her question, but "remember, I am the [one] asking the questions" is very condescending.

Glenda followed up with "Tasha, In my humble opinion, the piercings are a way that the world is behaving, kinda like the tattoos." So? What does this have to do with Tasha's question that has been asked? Just because the world does something, doesn't make in necessarily a sin.

Ken follows up with a spiritual "trump card" - "I am of the opinion that even a fool can look at the proliferation of all sorts of piercings and Tatoos and understand the Satanic influences of it. There is not one thing that is God glorifying about it. How any person calling themselves christian could even believe that these are God glorifying actions is beyond my comprehension." How can you respond to a statement like this? If I say anything, I am on Satan's side to Ken. Talk about a thread killer!

By the way Ken poses the question once again about how can a piercing be glorifying to God. It echoes a common theme in the responses to Tasha.

At this point Tasha responds to the arguments presented. She demonstrates that there have been cultural changes. Tasha commits a common error of making judgement a sin - "indeed judging people my friend and judgement IS a sin."

Finally, we come to the last post.

Joanne writes, "Sounds like you are predetermined to rationalize degrading the human body by various piercings. Where is this scripture you keep talking about?" and

"He would listen to neither, because salvation is not by looks. Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. But seeing how you don't yet understand the working of salvation, I can understand how you don't understand that no one comes to Christ by finding someone's looks agreeable. You need to go back and start from the beginning. Learn about Christ first, then you can teach doctrine."

Yet once again Tasha responds with her verses and her questions only to be attacked again, More personal experiences.

With this biting personal attack the thread ends so far, and no one has even tried to give an honest, well-reasoned response to Tasha's question. I could make some broad sweeping remarks here, but that would be helpful; however, I do suggest that you study this thread closely and evaluate it to determine if this question and thread was handled coorectly.

Just a suggestion.
In Christ,
adam@adamchristiansen.org
www.adamchristiansen.org

"Heretics are deficient in doctrine, but schismatics are deficient in love." A saying of the Ancient Church

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2005, 09:27:08 AM »
Hi All,

I have been lurking about for a while, and this thread fascinated me. Tasha posed a well reasoned question, showed she has done her homework by the breadth of Scripture that she cited, and the first response was an ad hominem argument against her. Here's the quote of the reply, "Perhaps you should explain the intent and the purpose of peircings Tasha? Are they done out of modesty; or out of a desire to draw attention? Are they done to give glory and honor to the Lord; or are they done to bring glory and honor to ones self? (Remember, I am asking the questions....hoping you can provide the answers....I don't have any piercings, so I can't understand why a Christian would want to have them....hoping you can explain)"

There isn't even the faintest attempt to speak to her question, but "remember, I am the [one] asking the questions" is very condescending.

Just a suggestion.

It's in the eye of the beholder. For example, I think your post is very condescending, but I'm pretty sure you don't. Here's a suggestion, if you want to talk about the pros and cons of body piercings, then fine. Let's talk. But don't talk about other people's personalities or how they respond or about these alleged attacks. It's against the rules here. The comment, "Perhaps you should explain the intent and the purpose of piercings" is not an attack. Not in the least. It's a very good question addressing "should Christians get Tattoos and body piercings?"

If you want to have body piercings and believe it is biblically justifiable, fine. Justify it. But don't give us this backhand across the mouth lesson in etiquette, we've heard it all before. What is the scriptural backing for tattoos and body piercings? There are none, correct?

Also, for your information, the intent and the purpose of piercings and tattoos "is" relevant to any discussion of this issue.

Can you tell us what is the intent and the purpose of belly piercings, nose rings and Tattoos for Christians? Just a question. Are they done out of Godly modesty, or out of a desire to draw attention? Are they done to give glory and honor to the Lord, or are they done to bring glory and honor to one's self? But if you're going to reply that I'm attacking you, avoiding the argument or the like, then don't even bother to reply. We've all been bored by these types of replies "in place of biblical justification." But if you have something to say, or maybe even perhaps answer the question, then maybe we can have a constructive dialogue rather than just vainly throwing charges back and forth.

Show us what is "the intent and purpose" for this modern day proliferation of gaudy tattoos. But we're not going to argue with you about someone else.

Glenda

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2005, 09:32:09 AM »
Sir,
  I did post scripture before the imho.

Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

The world seems to think that the piercings and the tattoo's and the near naked women are an alternative way to behave. The bible says dont be like them. So maybe I am packaging the piercing in with tattoos and near nakedness ect...LOOK around man. Where you see one you generally see the others.
I'm not attacking you personally , but I cant stand it when people step up and try to smooth the waters, between the world and God. There is NO smoothing.
  For the record Mr. kirdindor, I went to your fine website and  I see the pictures of you and your fine children, you have a lovely family. I'm wondering, do your children have piercings, they dont look like it. And what would be your reaction if they did get piercings?
  I think your being the devils advocate, but I would truly like to hear your"real" opinion. I may have handled this question wrong, but maybe you can show me how I should've handled it. Take a picture of the Ozzy Osborne family and set it beside the picture of your family  :o, do you see a difference? Call it disernment, call it what you will...there is a difference. You know it and I know it.
In HIS grace, and for HIS glory,
Glenda
And all the inhabitants of the earth [are] reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and [among] the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou? Daniel 4:35

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2005, 09:42:27 AM »
We must understand that we are children of God.  We have been brought with a price (the blood of Christ).  We should set our minds on heavenly things not the temporal, not things of this world which will shortly pass away.  We should put away this foolishness concerning body piercings.  We should be spending the time strenghting one another with the Holy Word of God.
                                                                       Dan

Dan, your one paragraph is worth a thousand words.

Job 15:2 Should a wise man utter vain knowledge, and fill his belly with the east wind?
 3 Should he reason with unprofitable talk? or with speeches wherewith he can do no good?

I feel that for any Christian to attempt to justify what is going on in the world today concerning this aberration and the growing trend of body piercings, disfiguring and marking up the body with tattoos is almost a sign of where the church is today. People can justify anything with fair speeches, but should we be deceived by their fair words to the point that we abandon common sense?

God bless people who can see past all the justifications and excuses and recognize what is of God and what is not of God.

kirindor

• Adam Christiansen.org
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2005, 07:16:32 PM »
Tasha,

While the whole of Scripture is the inspired Word of God, it is not all normative for Christian Living. Genesis is filled with cultural examples that are in Scripture, but that we do not want to emulate. Sarah gives Hagar to Abraham to have children with, Rachel stole Laban's household gods, and Rebekah had a pierced nose. Each of these represents the interplay of faith and culture, and in each of these faith came out on the short end.

The piercing of Rebekah should be especially revolting to Christians with the full Scriptural revelation, because, culturally, piercing was indicative of slavery. So we have Isaac, recieving a wife who is his slave. This is far from the norm that the New Testament has given us. "Husbands, love your wives as Christ loved the Church." Hosea love for Gomer is also a wonderful example of Biblical love of the husband for the wife.

Because of these cultural issues, I do not believe that it is appropriate to use this verse to defend body piercings.

I hope that answers your question, if not send me an e-mail and I will respond off list.
In Christ,
www.adamchristiansen.org

"Heretics are deficient in doctrine, but schismatics are deficient in love." A saying of the Ancient Church

kirindor

• Adam Christiansen.org
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2005, 07:20:44 PM »
Hi All,

The point of my first post was merely to point out that a lot of words had been shed without answering the point of the original post. I am sorry to have so offended; however, so of you would do well to study some of the principles of debate. This would lend clarity to your expression and help you to better defend your views. Which after all is the point of apologetic.

God Bless,
In Christ,
www.adamchristiansen.org

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]