[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Contradiction in Judas Death  (Read 4116 times)

Beechwood

• Fishers of Men
Contradiction in Judas Death
« on: July 07, 2003, 06:54:41 AM »
I was confronted with a contradiction which I didn't know the answer to. In one book it says Judas went and hanged himself, and in another it says Judas fell in a field and burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out. How do we explain this?

Beechwood

• Fishers of Men
Re:Contradiction in Judas Death
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2003, 06:56:34 AM »
Another contradiction I heard about Judas was that in one book he took the 30 pieces of silver and threw it down. In another place it says that He purchased a field with the money? Again, which is correct?

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2003, 11:45:45 AM »
Please show this with scripture. What book, chapter and verses.

Erik
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Beechwood

• Fishers of Men
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2003, 12:04:33 PM »
Please show this with scripture. What book, chapter and verses.

Erik

Sorry.
  Matthew 27:5 and Acts 1:18

Tony Silva

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2003, 04:38:13 PM »
>>I was confronted with a contradiction which I didn't know the answer to. In one book it says Judas went and hanged himself, and in another it says Judas fell in a field and burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out. How do we explain this? <<   

>>Another contradiction I heard about Judas was that in one book he took the 30 pieces of silver and threw it down. In another place it says that He purchased a field with the money? Again, which is correct? <<

Beechwood,

There is no contradiction in either event all you need to do is put the two events of each incident together.

In the first one Judas went out and hanged himself, but being so distraught or maybe due to his ineptness, we are not told, he didn't do a very good job in making the noose on the rope and after he threw himself off whatever was holding him up, the rope broke loose, from the tree, which must have been positioned near the edge of a hill or cliff of somekind and he fell to his death, bursting his abdomen wide open.

In the second one Judas after having feelings of remorse went to the chief priests and threw the thirty pieces of silver at their feet and they looking at the coins as blood money didn't want defile the temple treasury with it took it and bought a potters field with it.

Matthew 27:3-10  Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders, Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. And they said, What is that to us? see thou to that. And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself. And the chief priests took the silver pieces, and said, It is not lawful for to put them into the treasury, because it is the price of blood. And they took counsel, and bought with them the potter's field, to bury strangers in. Wherefore that field was called, The field of blood, unto this day. Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the prophet, saying, And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of him that was valued, whom they of the children of Israel did value;  And gave them for the potter's field, as the Lord appointed me.   

Tony S

Beechwood

• Fishers of Men
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2003, 07:55:06 AM »
Tony,
  Thanks for that explanation.

WrldTvlr

Re: Contradiction in Judas Death
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2004, 01:06:38 PM »
   The following address gives information on the "supposed" contridictions of the Bible, and much,

much more.

http://www.carm.org/questions_bible.htm
"The Bible is the best of all books, for it is the word of God and teaches us the way to be happy in this world and in the next. Continue therefore to read it and to regulate your life by its precepts." --John Jay

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]