[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Should We Spank Our Children  (Read 62941 times)

Robert Powell

• "fruit of the righteous, a tree of Life" Pr 11:30
Re: Should We Spank Our Children
« Reply #195 on: September 24, 2014, 12:40:37 PM »
It is beating or hitting in order to cause pain and discomfort, but it's not abuse. Not according to God.

:GoodPopst:
In the JFB commentary (one of the best for biblical study) of Pr 23:13, they say that this is plainly teaching that while there is little danger that the use of the divine ordinance of the rod will produce bodily harm, there is the great hope of the Christian for it producing spiritual good health.

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • 🌴"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. -Psalm 52:8"
« Reply #196 on: March 18, 2016, 09:50:18 AM »
In the JFB commentary (one of the best for biblical study) of Pr 23:13, they say that this is plainly teaching that while there is little danger that the use of the divine ordinance of the rod will produce bodily harm, there is the great hope of the Christian for it producing spiritual good health.

I believe that is the essence or gist of it.

Proverb 23:13-14
 "Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell".

No child is going to die from a spanking, but in abiding in the will of God they may be reclaimed from sin, and so saved from death. As I said before, I thank God my parents spanked me, else I am sure I would have ended up like some of those I rebelliously desired to hang out with.

Mila Ostrovsky

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #197 on: March 20, 2016, 06:19:05 AM »
 :Question_: Where did this idea of spanking is bad come from anyway? It didn't come from our parents, so where did it come from? And how is an idea that has stood for thousands of years all of a sudden become child abuse?

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #198 on: March 23, 2016, 10:12:36 AM »
>>>
 )Question_( Where did this idea of spanking is bad come from anyway? It didn't come from our parents, so where did it come from?
<<<

The short answer, mankind's growing enchantment and seduction with and by Psychologists--and I disagree, it did come from parents. Not our parents so much, but the new-age modern parents of today who have totally bought-in to the lines of the Psychologists and social engineers about the proper way of rearing children. As a result, our children are a disgrace to the name Christian. It is the parents today who have not trained up their children in the way that they should go (according to scripture) but have deferred this discipline, schooling and utelage to the words of men.

Proverbs 22:6
  • "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."

When God commands His people to train their children, it is literally instructing them to discipline, to initiate a Biblical dedication to Godly behavior, which to a large degree is what is missing from today's so-called Christian homes.  In Proverb 22:6 God has commanded His people to be committed to the formation of their children's character tomorrow, by training them today while they are young and impressionable. Yet very few Christians (generally speaking) take these words of God very seriously. So yes, it is coming from the parents. It is because they don't really "believe" proverbs 22:6 or the many other passages where God instructs us in the correct way to discipline concerning children. They've fallen victim to the trickery, guile, ruse and deceit of the great deceiver, the spirit of disobedience who is the father of lies. They have washed their hands of responsibility, but it is in vain.

>>>
And how is an idea that has stood for thousands of years all of a sudden become child abuse?
<<<

It hasn't, but it is perceived as such because of a constant indoctrination and the unfaithfulness of God's people. It is perceived as cruel and abusive because in our day there is a spiritual degradation greater than any before it. It is a declension where no one listens to the counsel of the wise to obey God's word concerning this matter, or any other matter. Instead, in their foolish heart they turn to the words of men for counsel, and that makes "man" himself their god, ruler and king.

Proverbs 12:15
  • "The way of a fool is right in his own eyes: but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise."

You ask how this is come to pass? The simple answer is because of the spirit of rebellion where people think or believe that they know better than the "actual word of God" what is good and proper to do. No, they won't actually say that, but in practice they believe it. They defer to the words of men "over and above" the words of God because their way seems right in their own eyes. Consequently in their thoughts and estimations the counsel of God seems archaic, obsolete, antiquated, uncharitable and foolish. They are deceived, not realizing that their actions claim for themselves the entitlement, authority and prerogatives of God. They have become as lawless man where they are no longer ruled by God but are themselves the arbiter of law in God's house.

Daniel 7:25
  • "And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time."

Their thoughts are to change the times and to change the laws, and they refuse to receive the love of truth (or truth in love) that they might be saved. You can witness until you are blue in the face and they will reject God's counsel every time, "choosing" to instead defer to the social engineers, Psychologists, doctors and authors. It is nothing less than a rejection f God as Lord, and  acceptance of man as ruler and potentate.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

R. Anspach

• No condemnation for those who are in Christ
« Reply #199 on: March 24, 2016, 08:02:00 AM »
Amen Mr. Warren. They also put forth the idea that if you spank your children, they will grow up to be violent, which is ridiculous. Punishment today is giving a timeout or at worst being sent to your room with your iphone, video games and computer. I have never understood how anyone thinks this is effective behavior control. I'd post scripture but it seems you've already posted every single one and a few I hadn't considered. God bless.
"But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith." Galatians 3:11

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • 🌴"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. -Psalm 52:8"
« Reply #200 on: December 14, 2018, 08:04:32 AM »
So now we cannot even spank our children, even though spanking is legal in all states?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/joaquin-arambula-california-state-assemblyman-arrested-released-spanking-daughter/

This is part of what's wrong with this country. Liberal people with no sense of discipline, training or responsibility. These morons suggest a time out for a spoiled brat acting out who knows even at that young age that all she has to do is tell her teacher and the parents are on their way to jail? This is why so many children in America don't respect their parents or anyone else anymore. It results from the government sticking their noses where they don't belong, and making it impossible to parent in a biblical manner. That is the real threat to a civil and moral society. These liberals don't understand that this is exactly why kids don't fear any kind of authority anymore. Nor do they realize that this disciple now that seems harsh, will serve them well later in heir lives. I'm living proof of that. Government should not be meddling in the way parents raise their children unless there is some "real" physical harm, certainly not for a spanking a angry vengeful kid who has been so spoiled she doesn't know what's good for her. That's the real sin that many Christians also commit in neglecting their God given duty as parents to raise God fearing children who will grow up to be respectful, responsible, contributing adults.

That's my soap box speech for today. Because I thank God my parents disciplined me when I was a child. People are so foolish these days.

Betty

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #201 on: December 14, 2018, 02:58:29 PM »
This is not a Christian issue, it is a human being issue. You cannot attack children and think you can get away with it. Spanking is child abuse and should not be tolerated, especially by Christians who love their children. I'm shocked that you Melanie, ecause you are a woman and should understand the evil of beating children. You don't have any children, do you? Because if you did, I don't think you would hold that position.  ]ThUmBsDoWn[

Doug Johnson

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #202 on: December 14, 2018, 03:44:02 PM »
I have to strongly disagree with you Melanie. I once believed in spankings as I grew up in that type of environment, but it simply doesn't work. Just like the child in that story you posted, children remember their father's violent anger and abuse and they visit that same violent beating upon their kids. It's a vicious cycle. I'm sure in the days of the Old Testament parents did the best they knew how with what they had, but it's a new day with new laws and rules and most importantly, children are different. I asked before, how is violence in striking people a good example to set for children. I share the concerns of all those who wish to discuss parenting methods, just as long as they don't include hitting children. I am so glad that unlike the old days, you could be arrested and charged with a crime and do real time for hitting your children. This is going to benefit children Melanie. It hasn't hurt them one bit. Children deserve more than to be violently hit by people twice their size, and especially Christians who should show love and know better that to use violence to teach.

As for Tony's post, he often seems to be living in a different time and society than the rest of us. This isn't the first century.

Rose

• De 8:8 "A land of oil olive, and honey.."
« Reply #203 on: December 14, 2018, 09:19:11 PM »

I agree with Doug and Betty. The reinforcement of Christian spanking of children is based on a misreading of a few verses of the Bible. Ministers say that the Bible doesn't endorse spanking, it endorses discipline. I tend to agree with that.
"I am the rose of Sharon, and the lily of the valleys." - S.O.S. 2:1

Maurice

« Reply #204 on: December 15, 2018, 04:41:12 AM »
As for Tony's post, he often seems to be living in a different time and society than the rest of us. This isn't the first century.

)smileyBounce(  )smileyBounce(  L O. L.   )GoodPopst(

I would not like to live in a world where there is no free will, no divorce, children are beaten, women are second class citizens, no sex, and everything is Predestinated where you have no control. This seems to be Tony Warren's world from what I read, not this world.

Jenny

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #205 on: December 15, 2018, 11:05:27 AM »
Melanie,
     There is one thing I don't tolerate from Christians or anyone else, and that is hitting children. That is not being a Christian or caring for your family. Don't try and use the bible to justify abuse of kids. A child should never be struck, period!

aquatic

« Reply #206 on: December 15, 2018, 02:54:45 PM »

I would not like to live in a world where there is no free will, no divorce, children are beaten, women are second class citizens, no sex, and everything is Predestinated where you have no control. This seems to be Tony Warren's world from what I read, not this world.

John 18:36 Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world”

David Knoles

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #207 on: December 16, 2018, 06:20:33 AM »

John 18:36 Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world”

The kingdom has nothing to do with Tony's doctrines of supporting liberal government's tyranny, striking innocent children, banning divorce, no free will, banning women from teaching church, unnatural abstinence and replacement theology.

David Knoles

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #208 on: December 16, 2018, 06:33:50 AM »
Melanie,
     There is one thing I don't tolerate from Christians or anyone else, and that is hitting children. That is not being a Christian or caring for your family. Don't try and use the bible to justify abuse of kids. A child should never be struck, period!

Welcome Jenny, we can use a few more right thinking Christians in this forum. Please also consider visiting the Dispensational Berean also

http://dispensationalberean.com

Don't Spank, Think!

Dan

• Dan the Man
« Reply #209 on: December 16, 2018, 08:15:38 AM »

)laugh( I thought I was the only one who was choking on his archaic style and Bible. No, this isn't the 1st century, but I think the tide is turning and more and more people here are realizing that they can't grow with this type of outdated theology. This is why the Amillennial church (and this forum) is dying and the Dispensational church is on lots of TV stations, and is still holding on. The church isn't dying, the Amillennial church is dying, or is already nearly dead.
...like this forum would be if not for
Melanie reviving old posts, and Tony's own repetitive and egotistical posts.  O Well )Shocked_dead(

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]