[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Eighteen in Luke 13  (Read 71 times)

Jimmy

Eighteen in Luke 13
« on: June 21, 2020, 10:18:06 PM »
The word “eighteen” is used three times in this Luke 13

Luke 13:4 (KJV) Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?

Luke 13:11 (KJV) And, behold, there was a woman which had a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and was bowed together, and could in no wise lift up [herself].

Luke 13:16 (KJV) And ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan hath bound, lo, these eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the sabbath day?

I’m trying to find a reference to the tower of Siloam that fell killing eighteen, and how it relates to the woman with the spirit of infirmity here in the same chapter. And I’m trying to understand how that the Greek word eighteen used here three times is translated everywhere else as 10. Why did the translators use “eighteen”in these instances?
Maybe there is no connection to the tower of Siloam and the woman with the infirmity, But there seems to be a connection 

Has anyone thought of this before?

If Christ is in the boat we can smile at the storm

Mark

Re: Eighteen in Luke 13
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 04:58:20 AM »
The word “eighteen” is used three times in this Luke 13

Luke 13:4 (KJV) Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?

Luke 13:11 (KJV) And, behold, there was a woman which had a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and was bowed together, and could in no wise lift up [herself].

Luke 13:16 (KJV) And ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan hath bound, lo, these eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the sabbath day?

I’m trying to find a reference to the tower of Siloam that fell killing eighteen, and how it relates to the woman with the spirit of infirmity here in the same chapter. And I’m trying to understand how that the Greek word eighteen used here three times is translated everywhere else as 10. Why did the translators use “eighteen”in these instances?
Maybe there is no connection to the tower of Siloam and the woman with the infirmity, But there seems to be a connection 

Has anyone thought of this before?

Hi Jimmy, interesting question you have. The reference to the tower of Siloam is only found here in Luke 13, the connection with the tower and the woman with the infirmity other than the number 18 I am not quite sure if there is one? Perhaps the number is used in scripture to represent infliction and judgment as to what happened to the tribe of Benjamin and other examples below.

Judges 3:12-14

12 And the children of Israel did evil again in the sight of the LORD: and the LORD strengthened Eglon the king of Moab against Israel, because they had done evil in the sight of the LORD.
13 And he gathered unto him the children of Ammon and Amalek, and went and smote Israel, and possessed the city of palm trees.
14 So the children of Israel served Eglon the king of Moab eighteen years.

Judges 10:7,8

7 And the anger of the LORD was hot against Israel, and he sold them into the hands of the Philistines, and into the hands of the children of Ammon.
8 And that year they vexed and oppressed the children of Israel: eighteen years, all the children of Israel that were on the other side Jordan in the land of the Amorites, which is in Gilead.

Not sure what you mean with the translators used the word eighteen when every other time they used 10 but looking at the Greek from an interlinear shows δέκα καὶ ὀκτὼ ἔτη as ten and eight years so eighteen seems good.
“Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him. Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.”
Proverbs 30:5,6

Jimmy

Re: Eighteen in Luke 13
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 06:57:27 PM »
Thanks for your reply Mark.  I was miss reading the interlinear on 18, thanks for straightening me out on that one. 

Thanks for sharing those passages in Judges, very interesting. 18 could have something to do with tribulation, I’ll continue to search the Scriptures

Thanks
If Christ is in the boat we can smile at the storm

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]