[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Coming of the Kingdom of God with Power  (Read 2468 times)

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
Coming of the Kingdom of God with Power
« on: June 03, 2008, 11:27:12 AM »
Tony Warren,

Regarding the coming of the Kingdom with power:

Mar 9:1-2
  • And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.
  • And after six days Jesus taketh with him Peter, and James, and John, and leadeth them up into a high mountain apart by themselves: and he was transfigured before them.

Mat 16:27-28

• For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.
  • Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

I believe that the coming of the Kingdom of God occurred at Pentecost when believers received power to witness the nations. Yet some people said that additional info supplied by Mark (power) merely reinforces Peter's inspired association of the Transfiguration with the Lord's Parousia in power they'd been preaching about instead of Pentecost.  They believe that Peter took the Transfiguration as a preview of Christ coming "in his kingdom"....thus his kingdom majesty became visible for them....making them eyewitnesses and confirming them in their preaching. 

I did not think this is accurate because they did not 'receive' or that they 'see' the power when they were at Transfiguration.

Luk 17:20-21
  • And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation:
  • Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

Which is correct? Why did people insisted that Mark 9:1 and related verses to occur at Transfiguration or even Second Coming (based on Dan 7:13,14)  What about Pentecost?

Thank you,
Erik Diamond
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
Re: Coming of the Kingdom of God with Power
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 12:18:29 PM »
>>>
I believe that the coming of the Kingdom of God occurred at Pentecost when believers received power to witness the nations. Yet some people said that additional info supplied by Mark (power) merely reinforces Peter's inspired association of the Transfiguration with the Lord's Parousia in power they'd been preaching about instead of Pentecost.  They believe that Peter took the Transfiguration as a preview of Christ coming "in his kingdom"....thus his kingdom majesty became visible for them....making them eyewitnesses and confirming them in their preaching. 

I did not think this is accurate because they did not 'receive' or that they 'see' the power when they were at Transfiguration.
<<<

The Transfiguration was merely an early display or picture of Christ glorified as God in the Glory He had before the world began. Christ wasn't glorified until after His work on earth was complete. And from all of Scripture, it is quite obvious when and how the Kingdom of God was established. According to the Bible, the kingdom of Christ was established, confirmed and given its power by the death and resurrection of the Son. And positionally, how could Christ come in His Kingdom with Power before He had even established it by ascending to the throne of the Kingdom?

Hebrews 1:3
  • "Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;"

By the word of His [dunamis]], when He accomplished His task of suffering on the cross for the remission of our sins, and ascended to the throne of His Kingdom. Then, and only then, could He rule and His Kingdom have come with miraculous power. ..with dunimus. Just as the Scriptures tell us that the New Covenant was without force until Christ died, so the Kingdom was without this miraculous saving power without Christ's miraculous work on the cross. This speaks of the miracle of salvation for the world. His coming in power had to be after he established His Kingdom and ascended to the throne and sent the Holy Spirit for His subjects. Even as God confirmed in Acts, when the Messiah was seated on the throne of the kingdom. This is when the Kingdom came.

Acts 2:29-31
  • "Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.
  • Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;
  • He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption."

Clearly, when Christ ascended to the throne of God, He fulfilled the promise of the coming Messiah establishing the kingdom of God. Only then could the Kingdom of God come and be seen of men. It was only after ascending to heaven, that He sent His Holy Spirit that the coming of the Kingdom of God on earth, would be with this Power. ...with dunamis. Then would men see the Son coming in His Kingdom. Acts continues:

Acts 2:32-36
  • "This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
  • Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.
  • For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,
  • Until I make thy foes thy footstool.
  • Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ."

Here in Acts, we see the prophecies of Matthew 16:27-28 and Mark 9:1-2 are fulfilled. These are those standing there who saw the Kingdom of God come with [dunamis], with Power! And remember what the Lord told them when they asked about the kingdom of God, while still mistakenly thinking that it was an earthly Kingdom and reign?

Acts 1:6-8
  • "When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?
  • And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.
  • But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth."

Again, that word [dunamis] or power that the Kingdom would come with. The disciples were talking about the timing of a "perceived" earthly Kingdom, and Christ refers them rather to Pentecost and the coming power of the TRUE kingdom that would come. The Kingdom, which is Spiritual, and which they will see not many days hence. It is then that they see the Kingdom coming with dunamis, with power wherewith they will extend that kingdom to the ends of the earth.

So verily, they saw the Son of man coming in his kingdom with power. Because when He sent His Holy Spirit as the Comforter, it was then that both Christ and His Kingdom were "revealed" to them, and made their abode with them. And indeed with us.

John 14:16-21
  • "And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
  • Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
  • I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
  • Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.
  • At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.
  • He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him."[/b]

The world couldn't see the Son of man coming in His kingdom, but even as Christ said they would, they saw Him! How? In spirit and in truth, for the Kingdom of God cometh not with observation. And in Acts 2 God demonstrated the son of man coming in His Kingdom to reign 1000 years with Power. And they were witnesses to it and to Him, to the ends of the earth. ..As are we who see Him and His kingdom here and now.

>>>
Which is correct? Why did people insisted that Mark 9:1 and related verses to occur at Transfiguration or even Second Coming (based on Dan 7:13,14)
<<<

The same as it ever was. Why does anyone believe anything? Because that's what they have been taught, or because that's what they surmise, or because they are not aware of all the biblical facts, or because that's what they want to believe, or because their hermeneutic is unsound, or because they haven't yet been enlightened by God to put it all together yet, etc., etc. There are a hundred reasons.

The transfiguration was a picture, a [skia], a snapshot of His coming glory, intended to "show" the disciples (and indeed all of us) the truth of the coming of the Son of man in His Kingdom with power, when He ascends to the Glory He had with His Father before the world began.

For me, there is no doubt that according to the Holy Bible, the Son of man coming in the Kingdom of God with power came only after Christ went to the cross establishing it, ascended to the throne of that same Kingdom, and sent His Spirit to the subjects of that kingdom with power, that they might live and reign in it on earth. This is the start of the millennial reign. And at the consummation, we, of this kingdom that God established on earth, will be delivered up to the father in heaven.

So in short, if one and one equals two, it cannot equal four. i.e., since the Kingdom of God came only once in the past, that there were some disciples that stood there that didn't taste of death till they saw that kingdom of God come with power, then they were at Pentecost when the Kingdom of God came with power. When the Son of man came with dunamis. Came demonstrating the miraculous strength of the power or dunamis of Himself, the salvation of the whole world.

What a glorious manifestation of Christ, and His glorious kingdom we do now live and reign in because of it.

nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 04:11:20 PM »
>>>
Tony Warren,

Regarding the coming of the Kingdom with power:
<<<

PS. We are the extending of His Kingdom with power, brought about by His ascension to the throne.

Luke 24:49-51
  • "And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.
  • And he led them out as far as to Bethany, and he lifted up his hands, and blessed them.
  • And it came to pass, while he blessed them, he was parted from them, and carried up into heaven."

nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • 🌴"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. -Psalm 52:8"
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 10:09:34 AM »
 )Bible-Red(  )GoodPopst(

In serving Christ and preaching the gospel to the whole world we are extending His kingdom on earth, which means
making disciples of men. The power to do that is from the pouring out of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost.

Walt Lee

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 04:55:53 AM »
We are the extending of His Kingdom with power, brought about by His ascension to the throne.

Amen.

I Corin. 4:20
 "For the kingdom of God is not in word, but in power."

The kingdom of God is revealed in the power of the Spirit, which confirms the presence of the reign of the Gospel spiritually. Whether that be within a church or in an individual Christian. The Kingdom is within us.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]