[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Bible Searching Program  (Read 28382 times)

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
Re: Bible Searching Program
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2006, 10:48:19 AM »
e-Sword Bible is the best FREE Bible software that I have been using for 7 years for my posts here on forum.  You can download at

www.e-sword.net

Erik
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Jeff

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2006, 01:04:22 PM »
e-Sword Bible is the best FREE Bible software that I have been using for 7 years for my posts here on forum.  You can download at

Erik

I tried esword. Had to switch. I like to multitask, but esword slowed my computer down to a crawl when searching. Slow loading also. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have good resources on your computer.

But you are right. You can't beat the price.

Wanda

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2006, 02:07:02 PM »

I tried esword. Had to switch. I like to multitask, but esword slowed my computer down to a crawl when searching. Slow loading also. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have good resources on your computer.

But you are right. You can't beat the price.

Jeff, See Robert's post on the subject. The problem with esword is that the program is hard drive intensive where it writes everything to hard drive instead of using your memory as the good programs do. That's why it can be really slow. Anything continually reading and writing to and from your hard drive slows down your computer. It's a very amateurish way to do a search, but as you say, it is free so no one should look a gift horse in the mouth. You have to decide if that's ok for you. I prefer a well put together program with great support.

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2006, 03:03:06 PM »
Jeff, See Robert's post on the subject. The problem with esword is that the program is hard drive intensive where it writes everything to hard drive instead of using your memory as the good programs do. That's why it can be really slow. Anything continually reading and writing to and from your hard drive slows down your computer. It's a very amateurish way to do a search, but as you say, it is free so no one should look a gift horse in the mouth. You have to decide if that's ok for you. I prefer a well put together program with great support.

I might disagree. e-Sword does not run 'slow', 'crawl', etc. on my computer. It runs as quickly when compared with SwordSearcher or other software on my computer.  Regardless, for the price, e-Sword still recommended for anyone on tight budget. 

Erik

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Wanda

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2006, 04:09:00 PM »
I might disagree. e-Sword does not run 'slow', 'crawl', etc. on my computer. It runs as quickly when compared with SwordSearcher or other software on my computer.  Regardless, for the price, e-Sword still recommended for anyone on tight budget. 

Erik

Disagree all you want. I think it's simple for everyone. Anyone can just download both programs and then try and load them both. First one, then the other. Simple! I'm sure they'll see rather quickly which one is best. Not even close. That's why I love this country. Freedom of choice!

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2006, 04:48:13 PM »
Sounds like the Apple/IBM wars all over again.  ;)

Some people swear by apple but others say IBM compatibles are the best. It's what you are use to I guess.

It doesn't really matter, use what one you like.

I prefer Swordsearcher!  Doesn't mean it's best for someone else.

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2006, 05:58:50 PM »
Some people swear by apple but others say IBM compatibles are the best. It's what you are use to I guess.

It doesn't really matter, use what one you like.

I prefer Swordsearcher!  Doesn't mean it's best for someone else.

Agreed. I like both SwordSearcher and e-Sword.  To me, e-Sword is kind of free version of SwordSearcher which is why I suggest that someone on tight budget can start with e-Sword for a while.  However, SwordSearcher have free evalutation period but only for 30-day. For some reasons, I use e-sword most of the time for studying and there is nothing wrong with it.

I think more important thing is that the person is comfortable with any software and be able to use it for studying and testimony.  And I do not think that a faster load of a software will make anyone a better bible student. Only Holy Spirit can :-)

Erik

Wanda

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2006, 10:38:19 AM »
SwordSearcher tip: Using Word Suggestion Features for Bible Searching

This is a new feature for SwordSearcher 5.0.

Problem: Sometimes it is necessary to search for a word when the spelling is not known.

Solution: Use one of SwordSearcher's word suggestion features to find the word or words you're looking for.

In this example we will explore searching for a word in the KJV when we are not sure of the spelling of the word. This is fairly common as the KJV uses British spellings rather than American spellings. For example, "savior" is spelled "saviour" in the KJV...

http://www.swordsearcher.com/how-to/word-suggest-search-bible.html

DIpraise100

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2007, 01:13:30 PM »
Hi all,
  We have swordsearcher and I was wondering about the commentaries.  I don't use them very often and some of them are so off base I just shake my head.  The few times I have used the Peoples New Test. comm. it seems to align with scripture.  I would like opinions on the Peoples New Test. comm.   
  Thanks, Dianna

FaithFilly

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2007, 05:42:11 PM »
Dianna, my personal opinion on the Peoples New Testament Commentary is that is doesn't even come close to being as good as the Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Commentary.

Wanda

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2007, 03:00:39 PM »
 SwordSearcher Receives People's Choice Award

SwordSearcher Bible Software wins SIAF People's Choice Awards 2007!

The Shareware Industry Awards Foundation (SIAF) announced on July 14, 2007 at the Software Industry Conference in Denver, CO, that SwordSearcher Bible Software won the People's Choice Award for the Hobby and Personal Interest category.

The SAIF People's Choice Awards are held annually at the Software Industry Conference and are voted on by thousands of people in the general public in over 80 different countries.

"We are quite excited about this award," said Brandon Staggs, developer of SwordSearcher and owner of StudyLamp Software. "The People's Choice Awards are voted on by computer users across the entire globe, and because of this, it is an exceptional honor to receive this award. It's great to see Bible study software represented among the winners, especially as a winner in such a broad category. We're pleased to be counted with companies like Adobe and Microsoft, who have also won People's Choice Awards."

Full press release text

http://www.swordsearcher.com/pr/070717.html?cpe=Y3A9MDcwNzE3JnM9TmV3c2xldHRlcg==

FaithFilly

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2008, 09:17:31 PM »

I think I'm finally getting around to installing a bible study and serach program to help in my studies. This swordsearcher program you mention, how easy is it to look up greek and Hebrew word meanings?

It couldn't be easier!

Kira

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2008, 09:07:10 AM »

I think I'm finally getting around to installing a bible study and serach program to help in my studies. This swordsearcher program you mention, how easy is it to look up greek and Hebrew word meanings?

It couldn't be easier!

Yup! And a faster program you won't find. All the tools of programs costing hundreds of dollars more too, like illustrated maps, pictures and images.  Comparison of tons of different bible versions, including spanish, increase font size for people who can't see well, Bible names lookup, daily devotionals, the fastest searching I have seen on any program (like instantly), Webster dictionary, encyclopedia, loads of commentaries and the ability to add your own commentary and notes on every verse of the bible. Even share your own created commentaries with anyone else who has the Swordsearcher program. And that's just for starts. It's awesome! In fact, there is so much stuff, it may seem complicated at first, but once you get the hang of it, you will never want for another program. Wanda turned me on to it and now I can't do without it.

Hands down, thee best!

K I R A 

Wanda

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2008, 08:30:59 PM »
SwordSearcher Bible Software version 5.3 released!

Current user upgrade information:
http://www.swordsearcher.com/upgrade.html

Not using SwordSearcher yet? Read all about it here:
http://www.swordsearcher.com

Complete revision history:
http://www.swordsearcher.com/revhist.html

Here are some highlights for this release:

* New library modules: Gaebelein?s Annotated Bible commentary,
Mackintosh?s Notes on the Pentateuch, and the Writings of C.H.
Mackintosh.

* The new Scan Text for Verse References tool allows you to
paste in text from any source, such as a web page, and have all
of the verse references automatically hyperlinked, so that
holding your mouse over the reference shows the text of the
verses. With this tool, you can easily check out Scripture
references from any document or web page without having to type
them in!

* Bible search verse lists show match count as well as the verse
count.

* Complete User Editor overhaul. Improvements to the
SwordSearcher internal editor for personal commentaries and book
are too numerous to list here. Additions include a Bible-word
aware spell check, automatic verse reference linking, new
linking options, and more.

* Improvements to clipboard copy functions.

* SwordSearcher now understands well over 2,000 different
variations of book names and abbreviations for identifying Bible
passages. It?s easier than ever before to tell SwordSearcher
what you?re looking for!

* Much, much more. View the complete revision history for the
complete list at http://www.swordsearcher.com/revhist.html .

As always, customers who already have SwordSearcher Deluxe can
get the latest CD-ROM at a significant discount. For complete
upgrade details, including a program file update by download, see
http://www.swordsearcher.com/upgrade.html .

Not a SwordSearcher user yet? Now is a great time to try it out
and see what you?ve been missing! Visit the SwordSearcher website
at http://www.swordsearcher.com to download your trial copy now.

If you have any questions: http://www.swordsearcher.com

-Brandon Staggs
StudyLamp Software LLC

Brandon Staggs
PO Box 140478
Broken Arrow, OK 74014
United States

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2008, 11:26:14 AM »
e-Sword.net is now offering a live beta.  You can access to it from any computer anywhere in the world.  Check this out

http://live.e-sword.net/

Erik Diamond

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]