[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Bible Searching Program  (Read 28835 times)

Chris

• I'm a llama!
Bible Searching Program
« on: April 12, 2004, 07:45:41 AM »
I would like to get a good "Bible Search" program for windows, and would like your suggestions. It would be great if it has a comparative feature. Thanks for any suggestions

hotrod

Re: Bible Searching Program
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 10:18:32 AM »
Chris,

Check out this link www.e-sword.net I use this program and am quite pleased with it.  It has the comparative feature that you asked for, but, the awesome thing is thatr it's free.

Rodney (1Ti. 2:1-4)
Maranatha,
Rodney

Sojourner

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 10:49:42 AM »
I would like to get a good "Bible Search" program for windows, and would like your suggestions. It would be great if it has a comparative feature. Thanks for any suggestions

I use SwordSearcher, which is an excellent windows program that has the features you request. It comes with many commentaries just a click away also.

www.swordsearcher.com/

It has the great "Try before you buy" policy so you can download and try it out free for 30 days.

Colleen

• I will make you free indeed
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 07:04:52 AM »
You might try Parson's Bible Study software with Hebrew and Greek. I hear that's very good. I don't have the website address, but it is a commercial program.

Wanda

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004, 08:08:25 AM »
I use swordsearcher also. First, it's a very good program with all the accessories you would expect, including greek and hebrew lookup of words witrh a single click, interlinear keyed to the King James bible, and all the public domain commentaries, write your own commentaries linked to verses, and comparative verses from 6 different bibles, everything is click on, including verses into whole chapters, etc. and tons more. Discounts for Churches and Pastors.

http://www.swordsearcher.com/

But also because the author Brandon Straggs is a good biblical christian likes to do good and who charges a fair price (have you seen the prices on Parsons and other like programs), and even many times gave out free programs to people who could not afford it. I'd rather give my money to support a Christian like that any day.

Did I mention it's a great program?

Chris

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2004, 08:47:22 AM »
First, thank you all who have replied for your suggestions.

Second, Bradley, Tony, John, Judy, Kenneth, Goldrush, Igreg, Peng (and some others I can't remember),

I have been impressed with your biblically grounded and scripture laden replies, I'm wondering if specifically if any of you use a bible program, and if so wwhat kind. Thanks so much.

Peng Bao

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2004, 06:51:46 AM »

Second, Bradley, Tony, John, Judy, Kenneth, Goldrush, Igreg, Peng (and some others I can't remember),

I have been impressed with your biblically grounded and scripture laden replies, I'm wondering if specifically if any of you use a bible program, and if so wwhat kind. Thanks so much.

Hi Chris,
Thanks. I use QuickVerse, but only because I paid for it and don't want to waste the money. If I was buying now, I would choose another bible study program.

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2004, 11:27:43 AM »
First, thank you all who have replied for your suggestions.

I have begun using SwordSearcher. Quick searching, commentary making, Interlinear, strongs lookup, comparisons, it's pretty much covered what you might need. I particularly like that I can add my own commentary links or info to each verse as I study. Which makes for quick lookup when the question comes up again.

nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Bradley

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2004, 02:01:23 PM »
Hey Chris,

I do not use any software.  I find the following internet utilities to be very useful.

blueletterbible.org
biblegateway.com

I use the blueletterbible.org as a concordance because it's searching capabilities are very good.  It does not have a good format to cut and paste scripture into a study, so I also use the biblegateway.com for copying passages.  I have a good internet connection so I can open several sites at one time to use as reference when I am doing my study.

I also have a Stong's Concordance, but I find it very difficult to go back to using it after doing multiple word searches online.  I would offer this personal advice; when studying the Bible, I find it much more useful to not read commentaries, but to just let the Holy Spirit do the teaching, by leading you to the scriptures which will provide the answers you are searching for.  When I stopped relying on commentaries, I started learning a whole lot more.

1 John 2:27
But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

1 Corinthians 2:12-13
12   Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
13   Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

God bless your studies!

Bradley

Beechwood

• Fishers of Men
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2004, 04:58:03 AM »

I think I'm finally getting around to installing a bible study and serach program to help in my studies. This swordsearcher program you mention, how easy is it to look up greek and Hebrew word meanings?

Wanda

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2004, 09:34:47 AM »

I think I'm finally getting around to installing a bible study and serach program to help in my studies. This swordsearcher program you mention, how easy is it to look up greek and Hebrew word meanings?

It's extremely easy even while reading chapters and verses. Can you believe that all you have to do is double click on any word and strongs Hebrew/Greek will pop up. As far as I'm concerned, it's the easiest and best bible study software out there. And no, I'm not an agent, I just love how well it works. I keep it minimized on my computer at all times so I can always bring it up instantly to find what I need. You should go to the website for more information. But here's what I have as included automatically on my CD.

SwordSearcher Deluxe Study Library Contents
The following material is included in the Deluxe CD-ROM version of SwordSearcher 4.5. All of this material is immediately available after installation from the CD-ROM there are no "unlock fees" for any SwordSearcher Bible Software library module.

Bible Texts:
King James Version
King James Version with Strong's Lexicon Links
Each English word is linked to Strong's definitions for Hebrew and Greek words.
Wycliffe Translation
The first complete English translation ever made, by John Wycliffe. Completed in 1382 and revised in 1388, taken from an 1850 printing retaining the original form of English used.
Tyndale Translation
The first English New Testament translated from Greek. Also includes Tyndale's translation of the Pentateuch and Jonah. Retains the original form of English used.
Geneva Bible
Another early translation that was a precursor to the KJV.
American Standard Version
John Darby's Translation
World English Bible
Young's Literal Translation
King James 2000
Textus Receptus Greek New Testament
Greek New Testament, Stephens 1550 edition with Scrivener 1894 variants as footnotes.
Critical Greek New Testament
Greek New Testament, Wescott & Hort 1881 edition with NA27/UBS4 variants as footnotes, included for comparison purposes.
Reina-Valera
Spanish, 1909
Luther Bible
German, 1912
Louis Segond
French, 1910
Statenvertaling
Dutch, 1637

Dictionaries:
American Tract Society Dictionary of the Holy Bible
M.G. Easton's Bible Dictionary
Third edition. Includes 277 maps and illustrations.
Hitchcock's Bible Names Dictionary
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
One of the largest Bible encyclopedias, published in five volumes.
The King James Bible Companion
Defines over 500 words as used in the King James Bible.
Noah Webster's 1828 American Dictionary of the English Language
Over 60,000 word definitions, frequently using Scripture as examples. Far more useful in Bible study then more recent editions.
Smith's Bible Dictionary
The complete work as prepared by William Smith. "Every subject, place and event mentioned in the Bible-- carefully identified and accurately defined."
Strong's Hebrew and Greek Lexicons
James Strong's popular lexicon of Hebrew and Greek. Used in connection with the KJVSL SwordSearcher Bible text, linking each definition to the English words.
Topical Bible Guides:
Condensed Biblical Cyclopedia
A. S. Johnson, 1896. "Designed for those who have but little time for study."
Thompson Chain Topics
Possibly the most popular topical Bible ever published.
Nave's Topical Bible
R.A. Torrey's New Topical Textbook
 Commentaries:
John S. C. Abbott and Jacob Abbott's Commentary on the New Testament
Albert Barnes' Notes on the New Testament
William Burkitt's Expository Notes on the New Testament
Family Bible Notes
Geneva Bible Footnotes
Commentary from the 1599 edition of the Geneva Bible.
Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Commentary
Robert Jamieson, A. R. Fausset, and David Brown; Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible, 1871. Currently published in 1600+ pages.
Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary
Matthew Henry's Whole Bible Commentary
The entire commentary, which is currently published in six printed volumes.
The People's New Testament Commentary
New Testament Explanatory Notes by B. W. Johnson.
C.H. Spurgeon's Morning and Evening Devotional
Quite possibly the best daily devotional ever published.
Scofield Reference Bible Notes
Published in 1917, C. I. Scofield's commentary on the Bible.
The Fourfold Gospel and Commentary on Acts
McGarvey and Pendleton's Gospel commentaries, and McGarvey's commentary on Acts.
C.H. Spurgeon's Treasury of David
Spurgeon's mammoth two-volume commentary on the Psalms, unabridged version.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
500,000+ cross-references, specially designed for understanding the Biblical usage of words.
A. T. Robertson's New Testament Word Pictures
John Wesley's Bible Notes
Books:
Rightly Dividing the Word
Including 55 charts and illustrations. Clarence Larkin, 1920.
Osborn's Biblical History
H. S. Osborn's Classbook of Biblical History and Geography.
Crowned With Glory
The Bible from Ancient Text to Authorized Version, by Dr. Thomas Holland. Traces the history of the Bible from inspiration to translation.
Spurgeon Sermons
Over 700 sermons preached by C.H. Spurgeon.
Fox's Book of Martyrs
The classic work chronicling slain believers throughout the history of the Church. Edited by William Byron Forbush.

Maps and Illustrations:
30 Color Maps
From J. L. Hurlbut's Historical Geography of the Bible.
55 Illustrations by Clarence Larkin
Included with the text of the book, Rightly Dividing the Word.
277 Maps and Illustrations from Easton's Illustrated Bible Dictionary
Included with the text of the third edition of Easton's Illustrated Bible Dictionary

How's that for inclusive.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2004, 03:23:25 AM »

Sounds good, but 40 bucks is a lot of money.

Wanda

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2004, 09:58:30 AM »

Sounds good, but 40 bucks is a lot of money.

Well, to tell you the truth, take it from someone who used free software, with a free bible search program, you get what you pay for. Nuff Said on that.

PC Study Bible Software Complete Reference Library v4.0
Retail: $349.95 | Their Online Price: $279.95 

QuickVerse Deluxe
Price: $299.95

Bibleworks v6.
Price: $299.95 and up!

Zondervan Bible Study Library: Professional Edition 5.0
List Price: $199.99

Biblesoft PCStudy Bible v4.2
Introductory Offer — Now Only $59.95!
All the reference libraries "extra!!!!!" as much as $399.95, which is called a sale!
http://www.biblesoft.com/

And have you tried the Logos Bible software. Geesh, talk about overpriced!!!!!!!!

Swordsearcher gives you all it's libraries included in the 39.00 price of the CD. ..as it should be!

FaithFilly

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2004, 04:33:45 PM »
SwordSearcher is worth every bit of its price!  I got it last spring and updated it in October.  It's so complete and satisfying that it destroys any sense of curiousity to see if there exists a better one than SwordSearcher!:D   

midas

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2004, 05:34:09 PM »
Just got SwordSearcher two days ago ...
Wow, its great ...
Worth the $40

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]