[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Romans chapters 9, 10 and 11 are for Jews only.  (Read 5802 times)

DorothyFan1

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Romans chapters 9, 10 and 11 are for Jews only.
« on: January 18, 2007, 02:42:03 PM »
Disprove that claim.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
Re: Romans chapters 9, 10 and 11 are for Jews only.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 06:03:06 PM »
Disprove that claim.

Back to Emerald city 4 U

Penne

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 06:51:42 PM »
Who are the Jews?

Romans 2:28-29
28  "For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:
29  But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God."

Dave Taylor

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 09:29:30 AM »

Romans chapters 9, 10 and 11 are for Jews only.
Disprove that claim.

Let's test the claim with a few verses from each chapter.

Chapter 9
Romans 9:6 "Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel"

Chapter 10
Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.  For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.  For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.  For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him."

Chapter 11
Romans 11:16 "For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches. And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree"

OK...You've convinced me. 

Roman's chapters 9, 10, and 11 are definately not for Jews only.

Here's the cure for dispensatanalism in one short phrase spoken by our Lord Jesus Christ. "He that is not with me is against me" Mark 11:23

Anyone who truly understands what Jesus is saying in that one verse, cannot hontestly follow and hold to the teachings of Dispensatanalism.

bug

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 02:57:06 AM »
Dave,

I couldn't agree more, however I would like add Romans 11:13

'For I speak to you Gentiles...'

How can it be for Isreal only when Paul actually says he is speaking to the gentiles as well?

Regards
Jonathan

Daniel927

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 06:01:04 PM »
Dorothy,

Pene asked the pertinent question.  Paul certainly speaks concerning the Jews, but WHO are the Jews?

Blessing in Christ,

Dan

Aaron

• God loves you!
    • THE AARON PAPERS
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 12:04:32 PM »
A
My friends, any understanding here in Romans must begin with the premise that these identifying names—Jew, Circumcision, and Israel have complex definitions: Coexistent yet distinctively different.
Aaron
See  wwwlulu.com/acr_44

Gilda

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 12:58:38 PM »
A
My friends, any understanding here in Romans must begin with the premise that these identifying names—Jew, Circumcision, and Israel have complex definitions: Coexistent yet distinctively different.
Aaron
See www.lulu.com/acr_44

Since this is a forum for discussing and sharring articles of interest, are you going to give me one of those books for free so we can discuss it? Or are you only out to make money off your knowledge?

Penne

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 02:17:49 PM »
You are so right Gilda.  I just thought this morning what a blessing the Mountain Retreat is, it’s all free of charge.  To my knowledge Tony has never charged one cent for any article.  We can even read the Holy Bible free of charge from the homepage.  I’m so tired of the many people trying to make a quick buck off the Word of God. 

Acts 3:2-6
2  And a certain man lame from his mother's womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms of them that entered into the temple;
3  Who seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple asked an alms.
4  And Peter, fastening his eyes upon him with John, said, Look on us.
5  And he gave heed unto them, expecting to receive something of them.
6  Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.

Freely did Peter and John give.

Penne

Betty

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 02:49:03 PM »
You are so right Gilda.  I just thought this morning what a blessing the Mountain Retreat is, it’s all free of charge. 
Penne

Amen Gilda and Penne,
    Matthew 10:8
     "Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give".

Freely we are to give, because we also received without merit, work or payment.

Dwimble

• Obviously I'm a Novice
    • Mike & Louanne's Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 03:31:11 PM »
Well, I don't want to pile on you, because there is certainly nothing wrong with trying to make a living as an author and selling books, even theological books. I make my living writing software manuals, and I am in seminary and will quite probably end up publishing something theological in nature...so I can certainly understand trying to make writing your vocation or source of extra income. But, when your first post in a year and a half is one sentence with a link to your store, that is obviously just spam and about trying to sell your stuff...it's not about offering any insights or participating in any sort of meaningful discussion. If you freely offered your knowledge and participation but also had a link in your signature to your store, then that would be one thing. But making a post offering essentially nothing but a link to your store is spam advertising and nothing else...and is in fairly bad taste.

Incidentally, I clicked on the preview of the very first book in your list and read a little bit of it. Section 1, second sentence..."Now these two boys did all most everything together..." That should be "almost everything" not "all most everything." I'm honestly not trying to be nitpicky or anything like that, but if that is evidentiary of the overall quality of your self-published writings then you should probably reevaluate what you are trying to sell. A simple, obvious error like that should never make it into a published book, especially in just the second sentence. If it was in sentence fifty-one of chapter five, maybe...but in sentence two of chapter one? The former would still be careless, but the latter is almost inexcusable.

Mike (a.k.a Dwimble)

Aaron

• God loves you!
    • THE AARON PAPERS
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 09:57:08 AM »
My friends, I never intended to offend anyone with my post, but apparently I have.
To begin, I would never pretend to be a writer.  I published the material more for myself.  I wanted a hard copy in order to hopefully do a better job proofing.  Then it is obvious by your comments that I haven’t been very successful with that aspect of my writing.  The most difficult thing is in not having a second pair of eyes to critique my work.  I am simply trying to communicate information that has been communicated to me.  All of this material is available for FREE on my web site.  Once again, I sincerely apologize if I have offended.
Aaron

Penne

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 01:31:23 PM »
  All of this material is available for FREE on my web site. 

Aaron,

I'll check it out.  Thanks.

Penne

Dwimble

• Obviously I'm a Novice
    • Mike & Louanne's Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 03:01:42 PM »
My friends, I never intended to offend anyone with my post, but apparently I have. To begin, I would never pretend to be a writer.  I published the material more for myself.  I wanted a hard copy in order to hopefully do a better job proofing.  Then it is obvious by your comments that I haven’t been very successful with that aspect of my writing...

No problem Aaron. Your mistake, obviously, was providing the store address rather than your "the-aaron-papers.net" address. The one sentence and a store address just made it look like spam. Maybe someone was offended, but I wasn't...which is why I said I didn't want to "pile on" you. To me it just looked like someone trying to sell books, but in an annoying way. Setting things up the way you have is a very good choice...providing those things for free and providing a link in case someone wants to get a hard copy. In fact, on a side note, I'm kind of glad to find that site you are using because I might be able to use it myself for some things that I'd like to get a few bound copies of. As to the proofing thing, that is always a problem. I still occasionally find typos and such in my manuals that have been there for years, but were missed for that very reason...not enough eyes looking at them.

I can't offer an opinion on your theology or commentary because I haven't read your stuff, but I'll try to find some time to look at it if possible, but I'm very busy. The Hermeneutics class I just started requires about 1000 pages of reading, a ten page minimum paper, 262 questions answered, five quizzes, and a final exam. Plus I'm in Greek as well, so I don't see myself getting much time for reading other stuff anytime soon. :)

Mike

Aaron

• God loves you!
    • THE AARON PAPERS
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 10:08:40 AM »
Mike and Penne,
I appreciate your understanding of the natural difficulties in writing.  I did a hard copy proof reading of “An Exposition of the Eschatology of Romans” and made more than 200 corrections.  And I am reasonably certain that if I were to proof the same book again I would find another hundred or so corrections.  Even though I do my very best, my errors seem endless.  I would suppose that after a few readings, one might be reciting the material more than reading.  I gave that link so that you might notice that the larger body of my work comes from the book of Romans as the central theme.
Thanks again, and I do value your input.
Aaron

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]