[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Sea Food Recipes  (Read 4189 times)

Sue Landow

• Gold Member
  • Distributing to the saints & given to Hospitality.
Sea Food Recipes
« on: August 17, 2006, 09:28:28 AM »
Asian Scallop Ceviche

* Note: This recipe can be prepared without the use of a stove or oven. What a timesaver!

Ingredients:

1 lb. scallops, cut in quarters
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 small red chili pepper, chopped
6 scallions, chopped
4 cups shredded napa cabbage
3 medium carrots, shredded
2 tsp. fresh ginger
1 Tbs. cilantro
2 Tbs. toasted sesame oil
salt to taste

Preparation:

Rather than cooking the scallops, cure them by soaking them in lime juice. Marinate for two to three hours. The acid will turn the scallops into a "cooked" white color, rather than translucent, and, because of the acid, this is perfectly safe. Stir in chili pepper and scallions with the scallops. Combine remaining ingredients in a separate, large bowl. Serve scallops over slaw.

"And again he said, Whereunto shall I liken the kingdom of God? It is like leaven, which a woman took and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened". Luke 13:20-21

Sue Landow

• Gold Member
Re: Sea Food Recipes
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 08:17:57 AM »
  Chinese Shrimp Fried Rice

3 lb Medium shrimp
      1 tb Unsalted butter
      2 x  Raw eggs
      2 tb Milk
      2 tb Sesame oil
      1 c  Finely chopped Spanish onion
    1/4 ts Fresh grated ginger *
    1/3 c  Sweet sherry (Oloroso)
      2 c  Bean sprouts
      2 c  Cooked long grained rice
    1/3 c  Light soy sauce **
      6 x  Green onions, chopped
           Vegetable cooking spray
           Salt and pepper, to taste

* or ground ginger ** preferably Kikkoman

Rinse, peel and devein shrimp. Coat a 10 to 12" non-stick skillet with cooking spray and melt butter over high heat.

Make an omelet by adding the eggs to the milk and salt and pepper to taste and whisking until fluffy. Pour egg mixture into hot skillet and spread evenly.

Cook until puffy and set. Remove omelet with spatula, place in a plate and chop with a knife and fork. Set aside.

Reheat skillet; add sesame oil. Cook Spanish onions on medium heat until slightly transparent, about 3 mins. Add shrimp, cook until they turn plump and pink, about 3 mins. Then add ginger, sherry, bean sprouts and omelet pieces. Cook on low heat and stir frequently so that sprouts are thoroughly covered with the wine and ginger. Add the rice and thoroughly stir mixture.

Add soy sauce and continue to toss mixture so that the soy sauce coats all the rice. Add green onions and continue to mix thoroughly. Serve immediately. Yields 6 Servings

Per serving: 393 calories, 12 grams fat, 384 milligrams cholesterol,
      737    milligrams sodium

"And again he said, Whereunto shall I liken the kingdom of God? It is like leaven, which a woman took and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened". Luke 13:20-21

Sue Landow

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 11:57:39 AM »

Barbecued Shrimp

SEASONING MIX
      1 t  Ground cayenne pepper
      1 t  Black pepper
    1/2 t  Salt
    1/2 t  Crushed red pepper
    1/2 t  Dried thyme leaves
    1/2 t  Dried rosemary leaves, crush
    1/8 t  Dried oregano leaves

MAIN INGREDIENTS
    1/4 lb + 5 Tbsp unsalted butter
      1 t  Worcestershire sauce
  1 1/2 t  Minced garlic
    1/2 c  Basic shrimp stock
    1/4 c  Beer at room temperature

Rinse the shrimp in cold water and drain well.  Then pinch off and discard the portion of the head from the eyes forward (including the eyes, but not the protruding long spine above the eyes). Leave as much as possible of the orange shrimp fat from the head attached to the body. Set aside. In a small bowl combine the seasoning mix ingredients. combine 1 stick of the butter, the garlic, Worcestershire and seasoning mix in a large skillet over high heat.

When the butter is melted, add the shrimp. Cook for 2 minutes, shaking the pan (versus stirring) in a back-and-forth motion. Add the remaining 5 tablespoons butter and the stock; cook and shake pan for 2 minutes.  Add the beer and cook and shake the pan 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat.

Serve immediately in bowls with lots of French bread on the side, or on a platter with cooked rice mounded in the middle and the shrimp and sauce surrounding it. LAGNIAPPE: A certain percentage of oil is released when butter is melted, shaking the pan in a back-and-forth motion and the addition of stock to the butter keep the sauce from separating and having an oily texture--stirring doesn't produce the same effect.

From Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen

Sue Landow

• Gold Member
Re: Seafood Wellington
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 01:36:23 PM »
Seafood Wellington

8 oz Lobstertail meat
      8    Giant prawns
     12 lg Scallops
      4 c  Quartered mushrooms
      4 oz Clarified butter
  1 1/2 oz Cognac

NANTUA SAUCE
      4 oz Clarified butter
      1 md Onion
      1 pt Lobster stock
    1/2 pt Heavy cream
      1 tb Flour (heaping measure)
      1 ts Tomato paste
    1/4 ts Cayenne
      1 ds Tabasco
           Paprika; to taste
      1 sm Lemon wedge
           Salt and pepper; to taste

Bake four vol au vents (puff pastry shells).  Either use homemade mille feuille or commercial puff pastry dough and follow instructions. Vol au vent should be oval shaped and about 12 x 8 cm (5" x 3") in size.

Sauce preparation:  Saute finely-chopped onion in 4 ounces clarified butter, add tomato paste, flour, and paprika.  Mix well, add stock, stirring until smooth.  Simmer on low heat for 15 minutes.  Add heavy cream, seasoning to taste.  Add a dash of cayenne, tabasco and the lemon wedge (easy on the spices; Nantua sauce should not be spicy hot). Let simmer for five more minutes.  Retrieve lemon.  Blend sauce in high-spped blender until smooth and creamy.

Heat saute pan on medium to high heat.  Drop in butter, then add in quick succession: first lobster meat, then prawns, sauteeing each until rare, then add mushrooms.  Flame with cognac, add the scallops and saute for 2-3 minutes.  Pour in the Nantua sauce, adding the bay shrimp, and bring to a short bowl.  Fill in preheated vol au vents and serve with steamed vegetables.

Makes four servings!

Source: Axel Hoch - (Chef Axel's Original Recipe)

judykanova

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 01:52:31 PM »
Sue, my guess is that you enjoy seafood dishes. ;)   So do I.  Thanks much for these recipes which sound delicious; I look forward to trying the Seafood Wellington soon.

Judy
'For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.'   Ps 119:89

Sue Landow

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 01:57:17 PM »
Sue, my guess is that you enjoy seafood dishes. ;)   So do I.  Thanks much for these recipes which sound delicious; I look forward to trying the Seafood Wellington soon.

Judy

I do love seafood!  So much, I find it incredulous to know so many people don't.   :o
  Well, more for me!  ;)

Sue Landow

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 11:58:33 AM »

Mediterranean Seafood Casserole

3 md Idaho potatoes (about 6 oz.
           -ea.), scrubbed
      2    Cloves garlic, minced
      1 lg Onion, chopped
      1    Green or yellow bell
           -pepper, cut into strips
      1 cn (14 1/2 OZ ) stewed
           -tomatoes, drained (reserve
           -liquid)
      1    Bay leaf
      1 ts Dried basil leaves
    1/4 ts Dried thyme leaves
      1 c  Fresh mushrooms, thickly
           -sliced
      2 sm Zucchini (about 6 oz. ea.),
           -cut into l-inch chunks
      6 tb Chopped fresh parsley
    1/2    1b  bay scallops*
    1/2    1b  salmon*
      2 c  Idaho Potato Cram Sauce
           -(see preceding recipe)

Very thinly slice one Idaho potato. In large skillet filled with 1 inch boiling water, cook sliced potato until crisp tender, about 5 minutes. I)rain and reserve potato. Meanwhile, cut remaining 2 potatoes into 3/4-inch chunks. Wipe dry skillet and in same skillet, combine potato chunks, garlic, onion, bell pepper. stewed tomato liquid, bay leaf, basil and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered 10 minutes. Stir in mushrooms, zucchini, stewed tomatoes and 4 tbs. chopped parsley. Recover and simmer 6 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf.

Preheat oven to 350! F. Spoon mixture into a 3-qt. shallow casserole dish. Stir in fish, then Idaho Potato Cream Sauce.

Arrange potatoes near rim of dish. Loosely cover with foil and bake 20 minutes or until scallops are tender and sauce is bubbly. Sprinkle remaining parsley on potato slices. Serve warm with crusty bread.

Yield: 4 servings * Suggested fish scallops cut into 1/2 pieces, 1 in chunks  of firm-flesh fish such as monk fish, halibut, catfish swordfish, tuna or salmon

Per serving  360 calories, 30 grams protein, 51 grams carbohydrate, 5 grams fat  (12%), 51milligrams cholesterol 520 milligrams sodium

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]