[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Homeschool anyone?  (Read 5496 times)

Penne

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Homeschool anyone?
« on: August 02, 2006, 04:12:28 PM »
Does anyone else homeschool their children?

praise

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Re: Homeschool anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 05:52:46 PM »
Pene,

I am an ex-homeschooling parent ! My kids are now in their 20s, God helped me so so much in the process with His Word and His grace.  Praise Him!

praise

Dwimble

• Obviously I'm a Novice
    • Mike & Louanne's Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 08:30:36 PM »
We don't homeschool yet (because we don't have a child yet), but we are about to adopt our first child from China, and we are planning to homeschool. We also have some friends who homeschool, and there are a large number of people at our church who homeschool. We recently went to a homeschool book fair/trade show and found that there are tons of great resources out there for it. We are really looking forward to it.

Mike (a.k.a. Dwimble)

Penne

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 08:49:25 PM »
Praise,

Great, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.

Now I know who to call on when I run into trouble. LOL!!
We've homeschooled for eight years and so far so good.  God willing we'll see it through to the end.

Penne

Penne

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 08:58:39 PM »
Dwimble,

Congratulations on your new baby (infant or not, the child will still be your baby, amen?)!!!! :D

We started homeschooling when our oldest daughter was in first grade, she's now in eighth grade.  I was very uneasy about it at first because I thought I'd ruin their lives.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  I have NO regrets and now it's our normal way of life.

We're using A Beka this year.  Their books are very colorful and the kids seem to like it better than Bob Jones.

Let us know how everything works out with your new baby.

Penne

praise

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 10:39:53 PM »
Pene and Dwimble,

Haha, yes, you will call upon GOD, the same Father my husband and I had to call on,  upon our knees most times.  Praise GOD, my girls are doing excellent, both in their vocations and in their faith. They are still growing in His grace and in His knowledge.

Homeschooling in the past for us was quite difficult, because we are Chinese  living in Texas.  The Chinese community really looked down on our endeavor, even the Christians, while the Caucasians sort of had a hard time accepting us into their circle.  This is why I am so deeply grateful to sound doctrine and to the WORD of GOD, for they sustained my strength.  Oh yes, even Luther, his courage and intense love for Grace helped me so so much.   Our homeschooling was one of much loneliness and mockeries even from  both  of my children's grandparents, they thought I lost my mind.

Please teach your children with the Word from very young, not just to force them to memorize bible verses, but help them to understand the verses, little by little.  Remember where the Bible said , you teach them siiting down and or carrying about?

When we honor our God with our children, just as where it said in I Sam ,  He will honor your effort in raising them.

Pene, and Dwimble, I'll be glad to help if there's anything I can do, but will pray for sure. Knowing you folks, I definitely don't need to type out Scriptures after Scriptures pertaining to child rearing.

Only beware, there are a lot of Arminians homeschoolers also,  which can complicate things if you are not careful !  :)

Sola Scriptura, sola Gratia..... Hallelujah !!

Penne

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 12:43:34 PM »
Praise,

We've decided not to include Bible study with our regular curriculum this year.  I don't want the kids to think it's a "school thing."  It's funny because now they pick up the Bible more regularly especially before bedtime.  They even set goals for themselves to see how much they can read.  We still have regular studies and family reading time.

We aren't involved with any homeschool groups although we still test with them at the end of the school year.  They are very helpful in that respect, but I find them to be a smaller "public school" organization.

Penne 

praise

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 02:41:44 PM »
Praise God, Pene,

You are ABSOLUTELY doing the right thing.  Teach them Bible on the side, mainly precepts, but NEVER, NEVER, NEVER as academics.
I spent 12 years in Christian School, I didn't believe a thing from IT.   (yep, sinner me !)  I sometimes even doubt if it's a valid thing to stuff bible verses in their minds, without helping them to live or understanding the truth behind the verses, again, to do that can create a false 'faith' all too easy, and learn to despise them real soon.  ( Generally speaking, I know that there are unique cases )

Some homeschool groups are best to avoid, but  hang with those individuals who love the Lord and who are of the same doctrine. As for the kids,  teach them compassion and love.  I know them all too well, I was also teaching ballet to homeschool  children for many years.

My one observation, from hind sight, is that, too many homeschool children grow up with a different sort of pride, the religious kind.
Our kids must learn compassion , and yet with discernment, not pride, agree?

From our doctrinal viewpoints, we  live under 100% sovereignty of God, and should also  live with 100% responsibility on our part. To do this, as parents, we follow  all  of GOD's instructions throughout the entire Bible, pray, and leave the results  in God's hands.

sorry so naggy !  :)  I'm soo proud of you guys !!
(edited) scattered-mind today!

Penne

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 06:06:40 AM »
Praise,

Great advice Naggy, I mean Praise.  Just kiddin'!! ;)  I don't think you're naggy at all.  I understand exactly what you mean.

I use to take great pride in my kids knowing so much Bible and making post highschool scores on their test when they were little.  Hey, it proved me to be an excellent mother or so I thought, LOL.

God is more than faithful to us and without Him we'd be lost rearing our children in all walks of life, amen?!

Penne

praise

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 10:09:41 AM »
AMEN !!    Yeah, I did the same,  the more they memorized, the prouder we all became !!  Who would think one can literally use the Word of God to sin ( boost pride)  !! :-[

You knew what I meant, aye ?   ;)

Penne

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 10:55:33 AM »
Aye!

FaithFilly

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 06:03:33 PM »
I finished home schooling about a year and a half ago and would love to praise God too for the great success He blessed me and my family with! ;D

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]