[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: The Parable Of The Ten Virgins  (Read 14032 times)

Halle

• "Because He Lives"
Re: The Parable Of The Ten Virgins
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2009, 07:15:24 AM »
I am wondering, do all of you think that this parable of the Ten Virgins really addresses the Church at the time before the coming of the Lord? If this is 5 foolsih virgins, the church, how do they also hear, arise, and trim their lamps? I note that some here do not believe that, and I have heard that it merely addresses salvation. Is this really a picture of the end-time Church. Some say all the virgins sleeping only shows the unsaved and the saved, and so it is not the Church.

Also, Melanie said this is somewhat like in the time Christ was crucified. I can see that, but wonder why this is?

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2009, 04:32:48 PM »
I am wondering, do all of you think that this parable of the Ten Virgins really addresses the Church at the time before the coming of the Lord? If this is 5 foolsih virgins, the church, how do they also hear, arise, and trim their lamps? I note that some here do not believe that, and I have heard that it merely addresses salvation. Is this really a picture of the end-time Church. Some say all the virgins sleeping only shows the unsaved and the saved, and so it is not the Church.

I think it might be helpful if you compare Matthew 25 with Revelation 11.  The ten virgins slept when Two Witnesses were killed after their testimony is finished. This also was the time when the Lord tarried after He finish sealing all of His People, Revelation 7. 

Mat 25:5 
  • While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.

Rev 11:7-8
  • And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them.
  • And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.

Tony Warren explained that their symbolic death illustrating they are asleep in the city (church).  The Lord tarried his coming after He finished sealing all of His Elects first. That is why God said:

Rev 6:10-11
  • And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?
  • And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

God should come right after he finished sealing all of his people but He didn't. He tarried and wanted to wait a little season by loosening Satan to test church faithfulness. Only God will find his Elects (True Elects) "asleep" in the city!  The sleeping (death) will last 3-1/2 symbolic days before Spirit of Life come and wake them up.

Mat 25:6-9
  • And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.
  • Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.
  • And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
  • But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.
  • [/li]

Rev 11:11-12
  • And after three days and an half the Spirit of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet; and great fear fell upon them which saw them.
  • And they heard a great voice from heaven saying unto them, Come up hither. And they ascended up to heaven in a cloud; and their enemies beheld them.

The cry was made that ALL virgins heard and stood up. At that time, the Spirit of Life only come upon Wise Virgins with oil (already sealed of God) to give them the abilities to discern the signs of Christ's (bridegroom) coming. Not the Foolish Virgins.  That is why they did not have oil to begin with.  At that time, the city has become desolate (abomination of desolation) where Wise Virgins has to come out and prophesied against the fool Virgins to rather go "buy and sell" with those in the city.  Remember in Revelation 13, that those men will be the ones who will receive mark of the beast IN ORDER to buy and sell!  Buy and sell what? False gospel, lying signs and wonders.  God wanted to make sure His Elects must come out to avoid plagues that come upon Babylon the Great (church).

Please understand that the Wise Virgins (Elects) will be able to "SEE" abomination of desolation and know that the signs of Christ's coming are already here. While the Foolish Virgins (professed Christians), who also believe that Christ is coming, but because they lack the oil (or Spirit of Life), they are looking for WRONG SIGNS!  They believe the events surround national Israel or huge natural disasters, or financial crash are as signs of Christ coming. The TRUE SIGN of Christ's coming is the FALL of Babylon the Great if we know who she really is where abomination of desolation stands and reveal of Man of Sin!

Mat 25:10-13

While the foolish virgins go buying, Bridegroom comes.

Erik

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
Did The Foolish Virgins Had The Oil?
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2009, 10:58:26 PM »
Mat 25:1  Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
Mat 25:2  And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
Mat 25:3  They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:
Mat 25:4  But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
Mat 25:5  While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.
Mat 25:6  And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.
Mat 25:7  Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.
Mat 25:8  And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
Mat 25:9  But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.

The foolish virgins did not have oil in the first place before they slumber, right? Then why did the foolish virgins trimmed their lamps? And why did they asked the wise virgins for oil for their lamps are gone out, does it means their lamps used to be burning before slumbering?

Erik

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Peng Bao

Re: Did The Foolish Virgins Had The Oil?
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2009, 04:21:30 AM »
The foolish virgins did not have oil in the first place before they slumber, right?

No. They had just enough oil to trim their Lamps. Not enough for the journey out.

Then why did the foolish virgins trimmed their lamps?

Because they had oil so that they could hear and to trim their lamps. They simply didn't have enough to leave on the journey to the bridegroom. Look at all the people who listened to Christ and loved his words and wanted to make him king. But they abandoned him in the end. they heard, but not sufficiently.

And why did they asked the wise virgins for oil for their lamps are gone out, does it means their lamps used to be burning before slumbering?
Erik

They asked them for oil because they didn't have enough to go with them to the bridegroom. I'm sure you know Christians who hear, but they just can't seem to put it all together. They just don't have enough oil, because remember, God is the deciding factor here. When they go to them that buy and sell, that is the giveaway that they look to the Church leadership and not God. Those who buy and sell are like those who Jesus cast out of the Temple, saying they had made the Lord's house a den of thieves.

Pearson

• Conformed by the Blood
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2009, 05:39:49 AM »
All ten slept . We do not find the five foolish virgins asleep, while the five wise virgins are busily at work. All slept, and all were awakened by the news of the groom’s approach. The emphasis here is not  on working.  This is because our salvation is not the result of our works.

andreas.

[Soapbox mode on]

I disagree! I think there is really more emphasis placed here by God on them all hearing the call and then falling asleep when he tarried, when they should have watched. There is no emphasis on work because the time for the virgins work is over.

Mt 25:5 While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.

They were called, they heard, they trimmed their lamps, and it wasn't immediate, so they slept. Notice, while the bridegroom tarried, they slept. In other words, it was not normal for them to sleep when the cry was made, but the bridegroom tarried, and so they fell asleep. The call was made first. Then they rose and trimmed their lamps. But then the bridegroom tarried and they fell asleep. I see much emphasis on their falling asleep after the cry was made.

Just My two cents

[Soapbox mode off]

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2009, 11:18:33 AM »
No. They had just enough oil to trim their Lamps. Not enough for the journey out.

Humm..you believe that the foolish virgins DID have oil before they slumber, only barely enough for trimming? What about verse 3 that stated the foolish virgins did not have oil?

I personally believe that foolish virgins did not have any oil at all.  The professed believers never had Holy Spirit to start with.

Erik

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2009, 11:25:19 AM »
I disagree! I think there is really more emphasis placed here by God on them all hearing the call and then falling asleep when he tarried, when they should have watched. There is no emphasis on work because the time for the virgins work is over.

I do not think that is what parable said. They heard the cry AFTER they all slumbered, not before.

They were called, they heard, they trimmed their lamps, and it wasn't immediate, so they slept. Notice, while the bridegroom tarried, they slept. In other words, it was not normal for them to sleep when the cry was made, but the bridegroom tarried, and so they fell asleep. The call was made first. Then they rose and trimmed their lamps. But then the bridegroom tarried and they fell asleep. I see much emphasis on their falling asleep after the cry was made.

I am not sure if you mis-read the Scripture. It says:

Mat 25:5  While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.
Mat 25:6  And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.
Mat 25:7  Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.

According to Scripture, First the bridegroom tarried and all virgins slept. THEN the cry was made. TEN Virgins arose and trimmed their lamps. Not other way around

lpowell

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2009, 09:54:24 PM »
Brothers, Her's a little detail on the word trimmed to help clarify Mat 25:7.  The greek word is kosmeo and is used 10 times, in both a good and bad sense.  First the bad:

Mat 12:43 When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none.
44 Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished (kosmeo).

Mat 23:29 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish (kosmeo) the sepulchres of the righteous,

and the positive:

1 Pet 3:5 For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned (kosmeo) themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands:
1 Pet 3:4 But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

Rev 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned (kosmeo) for her husband.

In both cases, it is the outward appearance of the physical Body.  For the elect eternal church, it is alive, full of the Holy Spirit.  For the visible church, it is made dead, a tomb open to any evil spirit.

1 Cor 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

Mat 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Perhaps the sense in Mat 25:7 should be that they polished their lamps.  For the foolish virgins did not have any oil to even adjust their lamps.

Lloyd

p.s.  Does any one else have the feeling that Biblical communication is decreasing here and elsewhere?  Perhaps even I am feeling drowsy.

Pearson

• Conformed by the Blood
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2009, 06:13:08 AM »

I do not think that is what parable said. They heard the cry AFTER they all slumbered, not before.

Good point. I misread that. But I still think the emphasis is not on work, but on their sleeping when the bridegroom tarried.

Just My two cents

[mode off]

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2009, 03:01:40 PM »
Good point. I misread that. But I still think the emphasis is not on work, but on their sleeping when the bridegroom tarried.

I agree. I believe the sleeping of the virgins are parallel to the period Two Witnesses were killed (same with sleep) after their testimony in the city for 3-1/2 days.  I will explain as I see in Scripture:

Rev 7:2  And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea,
Rev 7:3  Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads.

Rev 11:7
And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them.
Rev 11:8  And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.

After 2,000 years of building church until the last Elect God intended to saved to be sealed, the testimony of Two Witnesses was finished.  The Two Witnesses were killed.  Same with sleep.  

Mat 25:5  While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.

The Lord should appear in the sky the moment He finished seal the last Elect. He did not! He tarried! Thus the virgins sleep.  The souls in heaven protested as to why the Lord tarried:

Rev 6:9  And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:
Rev 6:10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?
Rev 6:11 And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

The Lord tarried for a little season until the 3-1/2 days of Two Witnesses being lying dead in the city be fulfilled first.  This is what the "silence in heaven" for half an hour referred to.  No Gospel. No Salvation. The apostasy rules in the church.   Then after a symbolic period of 3-1/2 days, the Lord finally comes with a "cry".  This is the cry that BOTH Wise and Foolish virgins heard.  In other words, they will now believe that Christ is coming, but only the wise virgins enlightened by Spirit of Life!  That is why they already have oil ready.  They will be able to discern the signs of Christ's coming.  They will know what the signs in sun, moon, stars, and earthquakes and will start to "see" Abomination of Desolation that Christ warned about in Matthew :15-16 and Revelation 18:4-5, while the foolish virgins do not have a clue.

At that time is when Seal 6 comes in. This is the WRATH of the Lamb comes after period of silence to bring judgment upon the city and made it desolate.  This is the beginning of abomination of desolation.  The Elects now sees this and flee to His Holy Mountain. Remember the mountains?  

Mat 24:15  When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)
Mat 24:16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:

Rev 6:12
 And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;
Rev 6:13  And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.
Rev 6:14  And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.
Rev 6:15  And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains;
Rev 6:16  And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:
Rev 6:17  For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?

The sixth seal is NOT Second Coming. There is still some time before Second Coming where the Elects can see the signs in the sun, moon, stars, and earthquakes.  That is how the Elects will know the judgment of Babylon has begun.  It is the day of Wrath when Christ comes to judge Babylon the Whore as the Elects (signifies kings of the earth, great men, rich men, etc.) flee and hid in the mountains. This is what the hour of judgment being referred to:

Rev 11:12
And they heard a great voice from heaven saying unto them, Come up hither. And they ascended up to heaven in a cloud; and their enemies beheld them.
Rev 11:13  And the same hour was there a great earthquake, and the tenth part of the city fell, and in the earthquake were slain of men seven thousand: and the remnant were affrighted, and gave glory to the God of heaven.
Rev 11:14  The second woe is past; and, behold, the third woe cometh quickly.

The second woe is referred to the hour of judgment upon Babylon. It is the same hour spoke about Babylon's judgment in Revelation 18:

Rev 18:9  And the kings of the earth, who have committed fornication and lived deliciously with her, shall bewail her, and lament for her, when they shall see the smoke of her burning,
Rev 18:10  Standing afar off for the fear of her torment, saying, Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgment come.

So during the hour of Judgment of the whore, the Elects will be able to "see" this and hid in the mountains, giving glorify to God for avenge us. And we will KNOW that Christ's appearance in the sky is not far off whenever the Last Trumpet might be blown.

I believe we are already in that period and we are very close to the Last Trump.

Erik

The remnant are the kings of the Earth, great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man which signifies ELECTS!  They flee to the mountains of God for protection as they witness Lord comes to judge Babylon the Great! The coming of Jesus Christ (but not yet appear) is what the sun, moon, star, earthquakes, are referring to as a sign that the Elects will KNOW that the appearing of Bridegroom is right at the door.  The foolish virgins, however, cannot see this or deny this.  THey do not have oil to "see" what is going on.  Instead they went to those to buy and sell and being duped that the coming of Christ has to do with national Israel, rise of Europe Community, or physical mark of the beast.  They are looking at WRONG signs. That is why they are foolish - that is, have no ability to spiritual discern what God says.

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • 🌴"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. -Psalm 52:8"
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2019, 10:02:05 AM »
I've been thinking about the recent post on the parable of the ten virgins and would like add my input.

All the virgins have lamps and all are going to meet the bridegroom.  This is a picture of the kingdom of heaven according to the text.  Everyone is intending to go meet the bridegroom.  They all have lamps which I believe is the word of God.

The fear of the Lord brings us Salvation.  It is imparted by the Holy Spirit to his elect.  Without it, we will be in the company of the five foolish virgins and Christ will tell us that he knew us not.  In summary, I believe the lamps to represent the Word of God, and the oil to represent the fear of the Lord.

I would agree in principle because I believe the Lamps represent the light of the gospel brought by the church. So without sufficient oil, which is the spirit of God, the light will not be sufficient to sustain us or anyone else. This parable teaches us that not all in the church are saved and only part of the church will be saved. There are two groups, foolish and wise. And the difference in this parable is oil. Correct? Since all those with sufficient oil are saved and all those who had to go to the buyers and sellers Christ locked out saying he didn't know them.

This also shows us that when Christ is talking about the kingdom of heaven, he is talking about the church.

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2019, 01:25:29 PM »
Quote from: Melanie
I would agree in principle because I believe the Lamps represent the light of the gospel brought by the church. So without sufficient oil, which is the spirit of God, the light will not be sufficient to sustain us or anyone else. This parable teaches us that not all in the church are saved and only part of the church will be saved. There are two groups, foolish and wise. And the difference in this parable is oil. Correct? Since all those with sufficient oil are saved and all those who had to go to the buyers and sellers Christ locked out saying he didn't know them.

Agreed.

(Mat 25:8 ) And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
(Mat 25:9)  But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.
(Mat 25:10)  And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.

Those who do not have the oil (sealed of the Holy Spirit) will go to "them" that "sell", and "buy" for themselves are the ones that God also said about them:

(Rev 13:15)  And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.
(Rev 13:16)  And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
(Rev 13:17)  And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
(Rev 13:18)  Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

Those who sells are the False prophets and christs in the church.  They will force everyone in the congregation "without the seal of God" to receive the mark of the beast because they are deceived to believe their false doctrines (lies).

(Rev 9:3)  And there came out of the smoke locusts upon the earth: and unto them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power.
(Rev 9:4)  And it was commanded them that they should not hurt the grass of the earth, neither any green thing, neither any tree; but only those men which have not the seal of God in their foreheads. [The ones without the oil]
(Rev 9:5)  And to them it was given that they should not kill them, but that they should be tormented five months: and their torment was as the torment of a scorpion, when he striketh a man.
(Rev 9:6)  And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them.

(2Th 2:9)  Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,
(2Th 2:10)  And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
(2Th 2:11)  And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
(2Th 2:12)  That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]