[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: The Parable Of The Ten Virgins  (Read 14029 times)

Bradley

The Parable Of The Ten Virgins
« on: March 19, 2003, 02:16:39 PM »
I've been thinking about the recent post on the parable of the ten virgins and would like add my input.

Matthew 25
1   Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
2   And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
3   They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:
4   But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
5   While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.
6   And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.
7   Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.
8   And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
9   But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.
10   And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
11   Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.
12   But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.
13   Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

All the virgins have lamps and all are going to meet the bridegroom.  This is a picture of the kingdom of heaven according to the text.  Everyone is intending to go meet the bridegroom.  They all have lamps which I believe is the word of God.

Psalm 119:105
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Proverbs 6:23  
For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life:

To me, this is a clear representation of the corporate church which includes like minded people who are wanting to meet Christ.  Not all of these people will obtain the prize of eternal life, because not all of these people are chosen unto salvation by the grace of God.

The Holy Spirit directed my thoughts to differentiating between the wise and foolish.  I think we can define what the oil represents, by answering what the difference is between the wise virgins and the foolish virgins.

Job 28:28
And unto man he said, Behold, the fear of the Lord, that [is] wisdom; and to depart from evil [is] understanding.

Psalm 111:10
The fear of the LORD [is] the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do [his commandments]: his praise endureth for ever.

Proverbs 1:7
The fear of the LORD [is] the beginning of knowledge: [but] fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Proverbs 2:1-6
1 My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee;
2 So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding;
3 Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding;
4 If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures;
5 Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.
6 For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.

All the virgins have lamps.  They all have the Word of God.  They do not all have the fear of the Lord.  The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge and wisdom.  All the virgins in the parable have the Word of God, but not all of them understand the Word of God.

Proverbs 6:20-26
20 My son, keep thy father's commandment, and forsake not the law of thy mother:
21 Bind them continually upon thine heart, and tie them about thy neck.
22 When thou goest, it shall lead thee; when thou sleepest, it shall keep thee; and when thou awakest, it shall talk with thee.
23 For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life:
24 To keep thee from the evil woman, from the flattery of the tongue of a strange woman.
25 Lust not after her beauty in thine heart; neither let her take thee with her eyelids.
26 For by means of a whorish woman a man is brought to a piece of bread: and the adultress will hunt for the precious life.

The fear of the Lord keeps us faithful to Christ.  It give us understanding to stay away from the strange woman.  It keeps us from whoring after the lusts of our flesh.

Proverbs 4:1-13
1 Hear, ye children, the instruction of a father, and attend to know understanding.
2 For I give you good doctrine, forsake ye not my law.
3 For I was my father's son, tender and only beloved in the sight of my mother.
4 He taught me also, and said unto me, Let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments, and live.
5 Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth.
6 Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee.
7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
8 Exalt her, and she shall promote thee: she shall bring thee to honour, when thou dost embrace her.
9 She shall give to thine head an ornament of grace: a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee.
10 Hear, O my son, and receive my sayings; and the years of thy life shall be many.
11 I have taught thee in the way of wisdom; I have led thee in right paths.
12 When thou goest, thy steps shall not be straitened; and when thou runnest, thou shalt not stumble.
13 Take fast hold of instruction; let her not go: keep her; for she is thy life.

Wisdom and understanding bring life.  The fear of the Lord brings this life.

Proverbs 14:27
27 The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death.

The fear of the Lord brings us Salvation.  It is imparted by the Holy Spirit to his elect.  Without it, we will be in the company of the five foolish virgins and Christ will tell us that he knew us not.  In summary, I believe the lamps to represent the Word of God, and the oil to represent the fear of the Lord.

Bradley

Tony Silva

Re: The Parable Of The Ten Virgins
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2003, 12:30:55 AM »
Bradley,

Your study on the parable of the Ten Virgins is a good one. I agree with you that the lamp represents the Word of God and the verse you gave as a prooftext is a good one.

Psalm 119:105
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Although I disagree with you that the oil is represents the fear of God.

>>The Holy Spirit directed my thoughts to differentiating between the wise and foolish. I think we can define what the oil represents, by answering what the difference is between the wise virgins and the foolish virgins.<<

The difference between the two is that the wise virgins had enough oil to keep their lamps light and the foolish virgins didn't.

3 They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:
4 But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.

The reason that I don't think the  fear of the Lord is represented by the oil is that,  having the fear of the Lord, is not a requirement for salvation in the same way that our faith does not save us, otherwise it would be a salvation of works and not grace.

The faith that saves us is the faith of Christ not our own.

Ephesians 2:8  For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

It's the same thing with the fear of the Lord. It is not our fear of the Lord that brings life, it is the Lord's fear that brought life to us.

Hebrews 5:7-9  Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared;  Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered; And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

Christ feared and learned obedience by the things that He suffered, His fear and the things that He suffered is what brought salvation, that is the fear of the Lord that brings life, not our own fear.

>>The fear of the Lord brings us Salvation. It is imparted by the Holy Spirit to his elect. Without it, we will be in the company of the five foolish virgins and Christ will tell us that he knew us not. In summary, I believe the lamps to represent the Word of God, and the oil to represent the fear of the Lord.<<

I still say that the oil has to represent the Holy Spirit, because that is the only prerequisite for salvation, all the other things like faith and the fear of the Lord, wisdom etc. are given us after we become saved.

Romans 8:9  But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Matthew 25:11-12  Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us. But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.

That is the real difference between the wise and foolish virgins, the wise had oil  (the Holy Spirit) and the foolish didn't.

Looking for and hasting unto the coming
of the day of God

Tony S

judykanova

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2003, 02:50:45 AM »
Bradley,

It seems that most agree that the lamp represents the Word.

I also think your studies and conclusion that the oil represents the fear of the Lord has merit.  Take these verses of Scripture that you gave for example:

Prov 4:5-13

5 Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth.
6 Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee.
7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
8 Exalt her, and she shall promote thee: she shall bring thee to honour, when thou dost embrace her.
9 She shall give to thine head an ornament of grace: a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee.10 Hear, O my son, and receive my sayings; and the years of thy life shall be many.
11 I have taught thee in the way of wisdom; I have led thee in right paths.
12 When thou goest, thy steps shall not be straitened; and when thou runnest, thou shalt not stumble.
13 Take fast hold of instruction; let her not go: keep her; for she is thy life.

As you noted, true wisdom begins with fear of the Lord.   As for
Tony S.'s point, I think it's understood by most that Godly fear (like faith) is given to us by God.  But notice how the above underlined verse links this Godly fear with Wisdom, which in turn is linked to Grace.  These are all wonderous gifts of the Holy Spirit (which Tony S. says the oil represents).   So I think you are both right.  Consider for example the Beatitudes:

Matt 5:2-11

2 And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying,
3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

The common denominator is the Holy Spirit (oil), but
the fruit /end result are all the above, including fear of the Lord and Wisdom.

judy

'For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.'   Ps 119:89

Bradley

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2003, 10:16:44 AM »
Tony S,

I think we are speaking the same truth.  You can not have the fear of the Lord apart from the Holy Spirt.  I am in no way indicating the fear of the Lord is a work on our part.  I completely agree it is a gift from God.  It is the faith of Christ and the Spirit of Christ working in us.  Even Christ had this power at work in his life.

Isaiah 11:1-3
1   And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots:
2   And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD;
3   And shall make him of quick understanding in the fear of the LORD: and he shall not judge after the sight of his eyes, neither reprove after the hearing of his ears:

The fear of the Lord comes by the quickening of the Holy Spirit.  It is the one Spirit and one faith "of Christ" that operates in a believer's life.  It is all grace, no work.  The fear of the Lord is just one of the many spiritual blessings God gives to his children.

Ephesians 4:4-8
4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.
7 But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.
8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

Thanks,

Bradley

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2003, 10:16:08 PM »
Hello everyone,

Let us read Matthew 25:1-12.

Mat 25:1  Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
Mat 25:2  And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
Mat 25:3  They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:
Mat 25:4  But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
Mat 25:5  While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept. Mat 25:6  And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.
Mat 25:7  Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.
Mat 25:8  And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
Mat 25:9  But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.
Mat 25:10  And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
Mat 25:11  Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.
Mat 25:12  But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.

First, here is what I believe:

The wise virgins are true believers that will be able to "hear" bridegroom cry and know that he is close at  hand.

The foolish virgins are unsaved christians that will also be able to "hear" bridegroom cry and know that he is close at hand.

The question is why did the foolish virgins be able to hear bridegroom's cry if they are not God's elects? Does it means that they "see" abomination of desolation taking in the church like we do? If not, they why did they be able to hear Bridegroom's cry?

I often believe bridegroom's cry is same as God's spirit come upon two witnesses lying dead in the street of Jerusalem in order to "see" abomination of desolation before they realized to depart out of church.

What do you think?

Erik Diamond
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2003, 10:12:58 AM »
>>>
The wise virgins are true believers that will be able to "hear" bridegroom cry and know that he is close at  hand.

The foolish virgins are unsaved christians that will also be able to "hear" bridegroom cry and know that he is close at hand.

The question is why did the foolish virgins be able to hear bridegroom's cry if they are not God's elects? Does it means that they "see" abomination of desolation taking in the church like we do? If not, they why did they be able to hear Bridegroom's cry?
<<<

Indeed the foolish virgins represent unsaved professing Christians who hear only superficially because they are still part of the corporate or external Covenanted church body. These are not Spirit called. Lots of professing Christians hear and can preach, but they don't have the Holy Spirit within them unto repentance and perseverance. e.g.:

Luke 8:13
  • "They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away."

I have met many people who have heard the word, and it even seemed for a while as if they understood clearly what it said. They joined the church and talked the talk, but when all was said and done, they had no root in themselves and so fell back into the world. Some even left the church. No good fruit came of this superficial hearing because they were never truly saved. They were partakers with the church, but were Christians in name only.

I believe we see here God declares to us that both the five wise virgins and five foolish virgins heard the cry that the coming was near. They both arose and trimmed their lamps, they were all called. So there is no difference there. God illustrates that the difference is not in their hearing (Hebrews 4:2), nor their rising up, but in the Spiritual nature (symbolized by oil) hat they did, or did not possess. Clearly some professibng Christians did not have sufficient oil or Spirit unto eternal life in salvation.

Matthew 25:3-7
  • "They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:
  • But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
  • While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.
  • And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.
  • Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps."

Oil in scripture is symbolic of the Spirit of God. Thus the wise virgins were "before" prepared of God to have sufficient Spirit to light their way so that they could "see" when they rose up from where they "slept" to go meet the Lord. While the foolish virgins were unprepared (see verse three) and had no oil to take for their lamps for the short journey. As part of the church they were sanctified so that they heard, but not so that they were sufficiently prepared. They were thus unequipped to see the way to the wedding. As we know, a lamp cannot light the way to the bridegroom without the power of the oil. Without sufficient oil, a Lamp is just an empty vessel. In other words, this is illustrating that some in the church didn't have the Spirit of the word within them to light their way to completion. They lacked that important part. Thus, they were actually unsaved and spirituaklly virgins in name only. Again, even as it is written, "many are called, but few are chosen." The foolish virgins were called, but they were not chosen.  To the Chosen, the Lord was thea lamp unto their feet. His Spirit will move them to rise up from sleep in this time of tribulation, to stand on their feet and go forth to the Mountain Retreat to meet the bridegroom. The foolish were unprepared. They were called (the church) but not chosen (the elect church). Again:

Matthew 22:11-14
  • "And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment:
  • And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.
  • Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
  • For many are called, but few are chosen."

In this parable, those without the webbing garment are without the robe of Christ's righteousness. The very "portrait" of God representing the same lack of salvation ast the five foolish Virgins.

I believe that, "them rising" means that (to a certain extent) because they were part of the Covenant church (sanctified as God calls these unsaved in the church) they do know that there are wicked things taking place in the church, but I believe it also illustrates that they could not really recognize it for what it is or bring themselves to depart and flee to the Mountains. In other words, they weren't really sealed (secured) of the Holy Spirits, and so lack the Spiritual eyes to "see" fully that these abominations are not just more of what has gone before. That it is a precursor to Christ's second advent, an abhorrent abomination like never before. An abomination that signals that believers must (by the oil they possess) leave that place of slumber post haste. There are spiritual truths to be gleaned here in this parable. The foolish virgins "were" able to hear the bridegroom's cry (His word witnessing of iniquity increasing in the church) because they are Covenant children and so (to a certain degree) are sanctified with a certain fear. God sanctifies all Covenant church members as we read before.  But they never did recognize the abominations there for what they were (because they didn't have sufficient light) until it was to late. Thus, they go to the buyers and sellers and end up coming to the bridegroom when it is too late. The doors are shut, Salvation is over, their judgment awaits even, though they were an external part of the church.

>>>
I often believe bridegroom's cry is same as God's spirit come upon two witnesses lying dead in the street of Jerusalem in order to "see" abomination of desolation before they realized to depart out of church.

What do you think?

Erik Diamond
<<<

I think you are on the right track. Christ is the bridegroom, the cry of His coming of necessity would be the vexing of wickedness and the word of God concerning it. The unsaved virgins in a sense were partaking of the oil f God that was obviously there, and thus can rise and trim their lamps. But only because they are "among those" who have this Spirit which lights their way to leave or flee to the "Spiritual" Mountains, the Kingdom of Heaven. The Two Witnesses of Revelation Chapter 11 represent the five wise Virgins. Those with the Spirit who have the indwelling of the "Spirit of Truth," and thus are "prepared" and are witnesses to the word (cry of the Bridegroom) of truth. His oil lights their way.

Psalms 119:104-105
  • "Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way.
  • Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."

The foolish virgins represent those of the Covenant body who don't have sufficient oil unto "Spirit of truth" indwelling them, and are thus confused, troubled, ever one step behind. They ask for oil, but they cannot be given the Spirit by the true believers, lest they remain in the abomination with them and miss the boat. The foolish virgins must go to the buyers and sellers (the false teachers in the church) and seek to acquire what they need. They miss out because salvation ends and the church will fall. There is no salvation among the buyers and sellers, only a mark signifying that they have sold out to be the man of sin. The door will have been shut.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Dan

• Dan the Man
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2003, 04:08:18 PM »

Erik Diamond

Why can't they all be saved Christians? Some of whom are late for the wedding, and some of whom are on time? Why do they have to be unsaved just because they are foolish. We're all foolish sometimes. Just because they didn't get in on time, doesn't mean they didn't get in. What do you think?

Carol

• Christ is All!
    • Gospel of Grace Online
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2003, 08:50:23 PM »
Well it does say the bridegroom answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I KNOW YOU NOT.  

Mat 25:11  Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.

Carol

Run, John, run! The Law commands!
But gives me neither feet nor hands.
Far grander news the Gospel brings:
It bids me fly and gives me wings!"
                                 – John Bunyan

http://members.cox.net/ckizzz/index

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2003, 12:57:48 PM »
Dan

Why do they have to be unsaved just because they are foolish

They are foolish because Christ will not know them:

The other virgins is the foolish ones.  It was too late for them. Yes, they are unsaved.

Nothing to do with us being foolish sometime.

Erik Diamond
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2003, 04:09:57 PM »
Tony,

Those with the Spirit who have the indwelling of the "Spirit of Truth," and thus are "prepared" and are witnesses to the word (cry of the Bridegroom) of truth. His oil lights their way.

Psalms 119:104-105

"Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way.
    Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."

The foolish virgins represent those of the Covenant body who don't have sufficient oil unto "Spirit of truth" indwelling them, and are thus confused, troubled, ever one step behind. They ask for oil, but they cannot be given the Spirit by the true believers, lest they remain in the abomination with them and miss the boat. The foolish virgins must go to the buyers and sellers (the false teachers in the church) and seek to acquire what they need. They miss out because salvation ends and the church will fall. There is no salvation among the buyers and sellers, only a mark signifying that they have sold out to be the man of sin. The door will have been shut.

I liked what you explained, Tony. And I do have something to ask that I like to know if you don’t mind explain little more in details: 

Rev 11:9  And they of the people and kindreds and tongues and nations shall see their dead bodies three days and an half, and shall not suffer their dead bodies to be put in graves.

Rev 11:10  And they that dwell upon the earth shall rejoice over them, and make merry, and shall send gifts one to another; because these two prophets tormented them that dwelt on the earth.

Rev 11:11  And after three days and an half the Spirit of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet; and great fear fell upon them which saw them.

We both agreed that the two witnesses are the elects. They also could be the wise virgins of Matthew 25. I might have problem linking foolish virgins with Revelation 11.  It could be because ”Spirit of Life” only come upon the wise virgins, not the foolish virgins.  I could not identify the foolish virgins in Revelation 11 because the verse 9 showed all people, kindreds, and tongues and nations, not just corporate part of the church, looking over their dead bodies.  Right?   

Also in verse 11, I only see “Spirit of Life” come upon the two witnesses, not other group. That probably is why I questioned why the foolish virgins could “hear” or "awoke" to the midnight cry of Matthew 25. 

Is it because the “Spirit of Life” will only be available to those who already have oil in their lamps so that they will be able to ‘see’ the abomination within the church that they now know they need to flee. 

And one more question for you Tony. In you comment:

God sanctifies all Covenant church members as we read before so they were able to hear.  But they never did recognize the abominations there for what they were (because they didn't have sufficient light) until it was to late. Thus, they go to the buyers and sellers and end up coming to the bridegroom when it is too late. The doors are shut, Salvation is over, their judgment awaits even, though they were an external part of the church.

When will the “door of salvation” exactly be shut in this parable?

Mat 25:10  And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.

The door was shut during the Great Tribulation or at the Second Coming? :-)

Thank you,
Erik Diamond

Jeff

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2003, 09:24:12 AM »
This is a parable of preparation. Five virgins were prepared and five were unprepared. Jesus said in matthew 24, if we don't watch our house will be broken up. So watch! For you know not when the son of man comes.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 08:08:51 AM »
I thought I would stir the pot in the discussion about the ten virgins. We all agree the parable has spiritual implications about the kingdom of God and his second coming. My question is, why in the parable do you think that all ten virgins are sleeping with their lamps out? The elect right along with the non-elect?

Mt 25:1  Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
 2 And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
 5 While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.
 6 And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.
 7 Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.
 8 And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
 9 But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.
 10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
 11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.
 12 But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.
 13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

It seems to me God uses this image of sleeping in scripture to symbolize being dead. All the virgins (which symbolize all those of the Church) awake, but only five have the spirit to trim their lamps and go to meet the bridegroom. I think we all get how they trimmed their lamps, but why were all sleeping prior to this cry of "the bridegroom is coming?" Any thoughts?

judykanova

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 03:32:37 PM »

I thought I would open up a discussion about the ten virgins. We all agree the parable has spiritual implications about the kingdom of God and his second coming. My question is, why in the parable do you think that all ten virgins are sleeping with theiur lamps out? The elect right along with the non-elect?

Mt 25:1 ¶ Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
 2 And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
 5 While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.
 6 And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.
 8 And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
 9 But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.
 10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
 11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.
 12 But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.
 13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

It seems to me God uses this image of sleeping in scripture to symbolize being dead. Alll the virgins (which symbolize all those of the Church) awake, but only five have the spirit to trim their lamps and go to meet the bridegroom. I think we all get how they trimed their lamps, but why were all sleeping prior to this cry of "the bridegroom is coming?" Any thoughts?

Reformer, 

I'm not sure why all 10 virgins were asleep, but I'm inciined to think that it simply points to the weakness of the flesh which even those saved must contend with.

Mat 26
40  And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, What, could ye not watch with me one hour?
41  Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

Also, all 10 virgins trimed their lamps, not just the 5 wise virgins.   So it appears that the primary difference is that the 5 foolish virgins did not have sufficient oil (Holy Spirit) to sustain themselves;  they were also presumptuous in thinking that the Lord would return before their oil ran dry.

They remind me of those spoken of in the parable of the sower whose seed of the Word did not take sufficient root to florish.

Mat 13
3  And he spake many things unto them in parables, saying, Behold, a sower went forth to sow;
And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up:
Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth:
6  And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.
7  And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them:
8  But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold. . . .
18  Hear ye therefore the parable of the sower.
19  When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.
20  But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it;
21  Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.
22  He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.
23  But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

The 5 fooloish virgins could be any one of those in which the seed (Word) never thrived by the workings of the Holy Spirt, but they most remind me of those who "received the seed into stony places", and  "endureth for a while" with just the oil in their lamps to go meet the Lord, but not enough to sustain them through the journey.  They must go back again (and again) to those who "buy and sell" the Gospel, "ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth" (2Ti 3:7).  Therefore, the 5 foolish virgins were not able to remain in a constant state of watchfulness and readiness:

Luk 12
35  Let your loins be girded about, and your lights burning;
36  And ye yourselves like unto men that wait for their lord, when he will return from the wedding; that when he cometh and knocketh, they may open unto him immediately.
37  Blessed are those servants, whom the lord when he cometh shall find watching: verily I say unto you, that he shall gird himself, and make them to sit down to meat, and will come forth and serve them.
38  And if he shall come in the second watch, or come in the third watch, and find them so, blessed are those servants.

1Ti 3
15  But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

Thanks for starting this thread and for the opportunity to share my thoughts on this topic.  I hope this helps.

judy
'For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.'   Ps 119:89

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 01:43:16 AM »
Quote from: Reformer
It seems to me God uses this image of sleeping in scripture to symbolize being dead. Alll the virgins (which symbolize all those of the Church) awake, but only five have the spirit to trim their lamps and go to meet the bridegroom. I think we all get how they trimed their lamps, but why were all sleeping prior to this cry of "the bridegroom is coming?" Any thoughts?

Rev 7:1  And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.
Rev 7:2  And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea,
Rev 7:3  Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads.

Satan will not be loosened until God have finished sealing all of his people first. Agree?

Rev 6:9  And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:
Rev 6:10  And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?
Rev 6:11  And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellow servants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

It is my belief that the fifth seal took place when Great Tribulation was starting after God finished sealing His people.  The souls in heaven asked God why He did not do anything for His People now that He have finished sealing His people.  God comforted the souls and said to wait a little season until the rest of their brethren on earth to be killed should be fulfilled. 

In other words, God ‘tarried’ until the killing of Two Witnesses for 3-1/2 days were fulfilled first, Revelation 11:7-10. Now going back to Matthew 25.

Mat 25:1  Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
Mat 25:2  And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
Mat 25:3  They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:
Mat 25:4  But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
Mat 25:5  While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.

Naturally, God should come and rapture His people and bringing the end to the world once he finished sealing His people, but He didn't.  God, the Bridegroom, started to tarried so to allow Satan to be loosened for little season first to bring judgment upon apostate church.  Therefore, while God tarried, Two Witnesses were being killed for 3-1/2 days.  The virgins slept. Two Witnesses being killed.  This is when Satan started to bring apostasy into the church and it will increase to the point of desolation.  After three and half symbolically days,  God finally intervenes on our behalf in the darkest hour.

Mat 25:6  And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.

Midnight is the darkest hour of the church as she is about to become desolate and be judged by God.  I believe the 'midnight cry' is same with Spirit of Life:

Rev 11:11  And after three days and a half the Spirit of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet; and great fear fell upon them which saw them.
Rev 11:12  And they heard a great voice from heaven saying unto them, Come up hither. And they ascended up to heaven in a cloud; and their enemies beheld them.

All virgins will hear the cry, but in Revelation 11, however, God give us more detail on how His Spirit of Life (midnight cry) specifically come upon Two Witnesses (wise virgins) so they stood up and be the only group of believers in church who will be able to discern the signs of bridegroom’s return!  Yes, Christ, the bridegroom, 'is' coming, but not yet 'appear'! Right now, He is coming to judge church!  And He wanted His people, wise virgins, to be able to know this by provide us the ability to discern the abomination of desolation and flee from church.  Yes the foolish virgins will hear the cry which signifies they, too, see abominations, because they are part of convenant church.  However, they will not pay heed to Christ's warning, becasue they are not sealed by God. They do not have oil to begin with.  The foolish virgins will say things like, "Yes, I see something wrong with my church, but no church is prefect", "We should go to church for fellowship and love sake, no matter what".   

Mat 25:7  Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.
Mat 25:8  And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
Mat 25:9  But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.
Mat 25:10  And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.

The foolish virgins will seek salvation but cannot find it or it has fled from them, Rev 9:6. Not paying heed to our testimony about fall of church, the foolish virgins went out to those who sell. There they will killed spiritually by God as Wise Virgins watch in terror and lamented:   

Rev 11:12  And they heard a great voice from heaven saying unto them, Come up hither. And they ascended up to heaven in a cloud; and their enemies beheld them.
Rev 11:13  And the same hour was there a great earthquake, and the tenth part of the city fell, and in the earthquake were slain of men seven thousand: and the remnant were affrighted, and gave glory to the God of heaven.
Rev 11:14  The second woe is past; and, behold, the third woe cometh quickly.

The remnant is God's Elects (Two Witnesses, wise virgins).  They will watch their fellow professed Christians being killed in the great city (church). They will flee to the mountain for 'protection' as they are affrighted by the power of God's judgment upon the city:

Rev 6:12  And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;
Rev 6:13  And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.
Rev 6:14  And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.
Rev 6:15  And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains;
Rev 6:16  And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:
Rev 6:17  For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?

Notice the 'earthquake' both in Revelation 6:12 and Revelation 11:13? The great earthquakes signifies judgment that God bring upon great city.  The kings of the earth, great men, rich men, chief captains, etc. are also God's Elects. They flee to the mountains for protection because they now realizes that God, the Bridegroom, has come to bring judgment upon church. Only THEY can '"see". The foolish virgins will not notice it, they will be busy buying and selling in great city. 

Reformer, The sleep is paralleled to the death of Two Witnesses, including professed Christians as Satan planted his tabernacles in the church. After 3-1/2 days (or after silence in heaven), God decided to take action and bring judgment upon Babylon the Great. This is when Two Witnesses/Wise Virgins/Kings of the Earth will wake up and response to God's 'midnight cry' so they will start to come out of Babylon.  They will flee to God's mountain and mourn over the city as the foolish virgins go buying and selling in great city that is fallen, is fallen, and not realizes it! It is sad, indeed, for God's people. 

But on bright side, we will KNOW that bridegroom is about to 'appear' in the sky for us, now that we have 'heard' His cry and do what we are commanded to do. 

Hope this helps,

Erik

dsouzaanthony

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 03:44:57 AM »
Satan will not be loosened until God have finished sealing all of his people first. Agree?

Erik, agreed.

It is my belief that the fifth seal took place when Great Tribulation was starting after God finished sealing His people.

Here I don't agree because GT begins with the opening of the seals.

In other words, God ‘tarried’ until the killing of Two Witnesses for 3-1/2 days were fulfilled first, Revelation 11:7-10. Now going back to Matthew 25.

Mat 25:1  Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
Mat 25:2  And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
Mat 25:3  They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:
Mat 25:4  But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
Mat 25:5  While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.

Naturally, God should come and rapture His people and bringing the end to the world once he finished sealing His people, but He didn't.  God, the Bridegroom, started to tarried so to allow Satan to be loosened for little season first to bring judgment upon apostate church.  Therefore, while God tarried, Two Witnesses were being killed for 3-1/2 days.  The virgins slept. Two Witnesses being killed.  This is when Satan started to bring apostasy into the church and it will increase to the point of desolation.  After three and half symbolically days,  God finally intervenes on our behalf in the darkest hour.

Mat 25:6  And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.

Midnight is the darkest hour of the church as she is about to become desolate and be judged by God.  I believe the 'midnight cry' is same with Spirit of Life:

Rev 11:11  And after three days and a half the Spirit of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet; and great fear fell upon them which saw them.

All virgins will hear the cry, but in Revelation 11, however, God give us more detail on how His Spirit of Life (midnight cry) specifically come upon Two Witnesses (wise virgins) so they stood up and be the only group of believers in church who will be able to discern the signs of bridegroom’s return!

Your above explanation can also create here  more problems in understanding. If the killing of two witnesses resembles 'slept' then 5 foolish virgins also were killed. But then who kills who? If two witnesses are raised by  the Spirit of Life, then 5 foolish virgins also heard the midnight cry.

Mt 25:5 While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.

Well, I don't pretend to understand this parable thoroughly and don't have much to offer in this regard. But experientially, we have lot many people who have come out of the church (perhaps, heard the midgnight cry) but preach entirely a different gospel of date settings for Lord's Coming which involves working out complicated maths, a third covenant, man is not totally depraved, etc...

Dsouzaanthony

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]