[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Is Mat 28:19 a fraudulent verse?  (Read 2776 times)

DorothyFan1

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Is Mat 28:19 a fraudulent verse?
« on: April 01, 2006, 11:39:03 PM »
Here's the verse from the KJV:

Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Now can anybody tell me if this verse is correct or has this been corrupted? What I mean is...does Mat 28:19 violate what Paul says in Romans 6:3? Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

JohnStevenson

• Make it so!
    • John Stevenson Bible Study Page
Re: Is Mat 28:19
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 10:37:06 PM »
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Now can anybody tell me if this verse is correct or has this been corrupted? What I mean is...does Mat 28:19 violate what Paul says in Romans 6:3? Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

Sorry, I don't see the problem.  The passage in Matthew tells us to make disciples.  The way we do that is by going, teaching and baptizing.

The passage in Romans tells us what is the significance of that baptism.  It is an identification with the death of Christ.

Dave Taylor

• I'm a llama!
Re: Is Mat 28:19 a fraudulent verse?
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 03:57:26 PM »
Here's the verse from the KJV:
Now can anybody tell me if this verse is correct or has this been corrupted?

I see no reason to believe it is corrupted or it is a fraudulent verse.

There is a consistent verifiable lineage of succession of that verse first both in all the English, Latin, Greek manuscripts, as well as the external writings of the Pre-Nicene Church Fathers, going all the way back to Ignatius, who was born about the time of Christ making that statement, in the mid 30s AD.

God's preservation and intention of it's inclusion is clear from the very beginning.

Here are many Pre-Nicene ECF writers who quoted that reference from the book of Matthew....showing its existance from the beginning.

(035-107 AD) Ignatius
Epistle to the Philippians, Chapter II
"the Lord, when He sent forth the apostles to make disciples of all nations, commanded them to "baptize in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost"

(103-202 AD) Irenaeus
Against Heresies Book III, Chapter XVII.
"He said to them, "Go and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost."

(160-225 AD) Tertullian
Chapter VI
"by the washing away of sins, which faith, sealed in (the name of) the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit"

(170-240 AD) Hippolytus
Canons of the Church of Alexandria.
"In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit, Amen. "

(185-254 AD) Origen
The Diaatessaron of Tatian.
"In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit, giver of life, the God that is one in substance in his essence, and three in persons in his attributes. "

(???-258 AD) Cyprian
Epistle XXII
"For while the Lord has said that the nations are to be baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, and their past sins are to be done away in baptism;"
Epistle XXIV, 2.
"The Lord, when, after His resurrection, He sent forth His apostles, charges them, saying, "All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you."
Epistle LXII, 18.
"as He sent them forth, "All power is given unto me in heaven and earth. Go, therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you."
Epistle LXXII, 5.
"Go ye, therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost."
Treatise XII.1 Three Books of Testimonies Against the Jews, 26.
"Go therefore and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you."

(210-260 AD) Gregory Thaumaturgus
A Sectional Confession of Faith, XIII
"the Lord sends forth His disciples to baptize in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit"

(232-269) Firmilian, Bishop of Caesarea in Cappadocia
Against the Letter of Stephen. (AD 256.) 11.
"the grace of baptism in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit"

(250-325 AD) Constitutions of the Holy Apostles XLIII
"Look down from heaven, and sanctify this water, and give it grace and power, that so he that is to be baptized, according to the command of Thy Christ, may be crucified with Him, and may die with Him, and may be buried with Him, and may rise with Him to the adoption which is in Him, that he may be dead to sin and live to righteousness. And after this, when he has baptized him in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost"

( ???-255 AD) A Treatise Against the Heretic Novatian by an Anonymous Bishop
"Go ye and preach the Gospel to the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost."

(???-255 AD) A Treatise on Re-Baptism by an Anonymous Writer, 7.
"Go ye, teach the nations; baptize them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost."

(270-304 AD) Victorinus
Commentary on the Apocalypse, C1 15. "And His voice as it were the voice of many waters.  The many waters are understood to be many peoples, or the gift of baptism that He sent forth by the apostles, saying: "Go ye, teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost."

(263-339 AD) Eusebius
The Church History. Section 5.
"our Lord, sending forth His disciples for the preaching, said, Go, teach all nations, baptizing them in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost."

(298-373 AD) Athanasius
the Councils of Ariminum and Seleucia Part 1.
"our Lord Jesus Christ enjoined His disciples, saying, ‘Go ye, teach all nations, baptizing them in the Name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Ghost’"

(???-325 AD) Apocrypha of the New Testament
Acts of the Holy Apostle Thaddaeus
"he baptized them in the name of the Father, and Son, and Holy Spirit"

(???-325 AD) Memoirs of Edessa
The Teaching of Simon Cephas in the City of Rome.
"in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Spirit, were we commanded to baptize those who believe, that they may live for ever."

(???-325 AD) The Acts of Xanthippe and Polyxena
XIV
"Paul straightway taking her hand, went into the house of Philotheus, and baptised her in the name of the Father and of the Son and the Holy Ghost"

(???-325 AD) The Divine Liturgy of James the Holy Apostle and Brother of the Lord
XLI
"in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit"

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]