[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Was Adam Created in God's Image?  (Read 28280 times)

Sue Landow

• Gold Member
  • Distributing to the saints & given to Hospitality.
Re: Was Adam Created in God's Image?
« Reply #135 on: April 28, 2005, 07:50:51 AM »
Appreciate your input Sue. I think that Covenant Theology is really the only theology that answers the question of original sin, the serpent, the image of God Adam was created in, Infant baptism, Covenant eschatology, the seed of the woman, Christ as Israel, the covenant of works, the Church in the wilderness, Moses and the law, and on and on.

I believe that you are correct in that covenant theology ties into everything, including the kingdom, salvation and sovereign grace. Interesting that you bring up this verse as I was thinking about this just a few days ago.

Genesis 3:20
  And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.

It's also interesting that it can be taken two different ways. And I think God deliberately made it that way. It can be taken as Eve is the mother of all living in that all living comes from her seed. Or it can be taken as you have shown that she is the woman from whom the seed comes who brings life to all the elect. Likewise the passage about Adam being the son of God.

Luke 3:38
  Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

It can be taken as he was one of God's elect, or it can be taken as he was merely a son in the sense God was his father because God formed him from this earth. I think that both are correct and that is what others do not understand. The connection between the historical and the spiritual.

Genesis 1:27
  So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

The same thing I see here as in the other two passages. The very historical along with the very literal.

Wow, this is a beautiful revelation by God of the Covenant.

I couldn't agree with you more.
"And again he said, Whereunto shall I liken the kingdom of God? It is like leaven, which a woman took and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened". Luke 13:20-21

Shoan

• He has held My Hand!!
« Reply #136 on: April 30, 2005, 01:20:24 AM »
Reformer:

Ge 2:25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

God is showing us that both Adam and Eve were naked(without Christ,,,imperfect,sinful but sin was not yet imputed beacuse the law had not yet come and when the law came sin revived and they died).

Ro 5:13 For until the law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

Ge 3:7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves coverings.
 Ge 3:10 So he said, "I heard Your voice in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; and I hid myself."
 Ge 3:11 ¶ And He said, "Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree of which I commanded you that you should not eat?"

The nakedness is clearly spiritual as God asks them who told you you are naked?Have you eaten from the tree?(In other words,who told you that you were naked,did the law show you that?)

Ga 3:24 Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

Ro 7:9 I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died.

Paul says he was alive once(without the knowledge that he was naked and in desperate need of Christ) but when the law came he relaized that he was dead in his sins.

Nakedness in scripture is being naked in sin and in need of a Savior.So if God says Adam and Eve were naked then it definetly means they were in need of a Savior as perfectness is only in Christ and those who are in Christ are perfect in Christ.

Isa 58:7 Is it not to share your bread with the hungry, And that you bring to your house the poor who are cast out; When you see the naked, that you cover him, And not hide yourself from your own flesh?

Mt 25:36 'I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.'
 Mt 25:38 'When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You?
 Mt 25:43 'I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.'
 Mt 25:44 "Then they also will answer Him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?'

You said:
 Genesis 3:20
  And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.
and Ge 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel. and Luke 3:38   Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

Adam is called the "son of God" because that phrase signifies a covenant believer. It's all about the Covenant and unfortunately so many people don't have any understanding of how Adam, created perfect, under the covenant of works, sinned, was separated from God, and then came under this covenant of grace. Wow, this is a beautiful revelation by God of the Covenant.

This is no revelation but an absurd interpretation of scriptures.God's covenant of grace with man began before the foundation of this world Eph 1:4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
 5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will

Re 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

In principle the Lamb was slain before the foundation of this world so naturally Adam was included in the Covenant with all of God's elect...so if he is called son of God how can you say he was created perfect but if you say he was in covenant relationship with God then yes he was but in Christ only not apart from Christ.

It's just like some years ago we were unbelievers and were in sin but in God's eyes we were still His sons as He had chosen us before the foundation of this world in Christ Jesus.

Peace!!
Shoan

servant

• I am a Berean!
« Reply #137 on: May 03, 2005, 12:13:47 AM »
Tony you said Genesis 3:21

"Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them."
The nakedness of sin came about by Adam's disobedience. But clothed by God illustrates they were saved from their spiritual nakedness.
One thing I can't understand Adam and Eve were naked before they fell.Does it imply that they were spiritually naked before they fell or it is physical nakedness.Please shed some light on this.

Thank You.
Servant  :)

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #138 on: May 03, 2005, 03:05:24 AM »
>>>
One thing I can't understand Adam and Eve were naked before they fell.Does it imply that they were spiritually naked before they fell or it is physical nakedness.Please shed some light on this.
<<<

No, their physical nakedness could not be a figure of sin before they ever sinned, as that would be a contradiction in "types." You'd have God seeing and saying that all He created was good, while he had (allegedly) created Adam in sin (not good). It's not "what came first, the chicken or the egg," it's "what came first, the uprightness of man or sin?" In other words, in order for man to fall, He "has" to fall from somewhere or something. It's really a question of position. It would be like saying the Rock was a figure of Christ's suffering "before" Moses smote the Rock that water came out. It doesn't work that way. The Rock is a figure of the foundation and strength of God, only after it is smitten by Moses that water come forth does it become the "figure" of the suffering of Christ that will bring forth spiritual waters of salvation. Yes, Christ is the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world efficacy-wise, but you still cannot put the cart before the horse. Christ still had to come "in time" and be slain on a that fateful day.

Genesis 2:17
  • "But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."
That was God making the covenant oath in giving His conditions (law). Sin and die, be righteous and live. The transgression of this covenant (sin) came afterward, and death and separation from God followed. It's not that complicated positionally. i.e., you cannot sin before God declares that you sinned. Sin is abhorrent to God, and had they sinned "in God's eyes" before the fall, it would have been inputed to them and they would have suffered death and been cast out of the garden. "Because" God decrees the definition of sin, not man. And it is His definition of sin that is our authority, not man's.

1st John 3:4
  • "Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law."
God decrees that sin "is" the transgression of the law. That's what sin is according to our God. And the wages of sin "is" death according to our God. The day that they sinned is the day that they broke the law or covenant of works inherent in disobeying God's conditions. And that is the day that their nakedness came to symbolize man's transgression which "ONLY THEN" had to be covered. Just as the day God wrestled with Jacob, he came to symbolize God's people in Christ, Israel. One day he's Jacob, and the next day he's Israel, but he's still the same man, though now typed as the son of God, Christ (Israel)!

Exodus 4:22
  • "And thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Thus saith the LORD, Israel is my son, even my firstborn:"
Hosea 11:1
  • "When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and called my son out of Egypt:
Matthew 2:15
  • "And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son."
Point being, "types" are created in time, even as Jacob lived a long time before He became the type of the sons of God in Christ, the Israel of God. And this same principle is why Adam and Eve's nakedness didn't bother them (or God) until after they had sinned. Only then were their eyes opened to the fact that they transgressed God's laws (sinned) and only then did they feel that they needed covering. Sin shamed them! God saw that everything He created was good up until the very day Adam sinned. It was sin that corrupted man, the creation, and made nakedness a type of sin. Thus their nakedness was now a shame to them and abhorrent as symbolic of sin to God. That is why only then did Adam and Even need to be separated from God and removed from that Paradise, their nakedness then needing covering. If they were in sin all along (as has been theorized), then God lived with Adam's presence in the Paradise in sin. And God was wrong in declaring that all that He created was good. That cannot be. Paradise was a mirror "representation" of the Paradise of heaven (no sin) until iniquity was found there. Adam and the creation was good only until the day iniquity was found in him, when he transgressed (sinned) against the law of God. God had set conditions (a Covenant conditioned on his works) and Adam broke that covenant by his sin. Thus his only salvation was now the Covenant of Grace, which he received, symbolized by God covering his nakedness.

nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

servant

• I am a Berean!
« Reply #139 on: May 04, 2005, 09:00:54 AM »
Tony can good also mean:::---
Ge 1:31 ¶ And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

can it also mean that when God created everything He had made it was very good,Good for His salvation plan ,good ground for Christ the seed to be sown to save many as in biblical principle Christ was slain before the foundation of this world Rev13:8 ?
Joh 12:24 "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the ground and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it produces much grain.

Ps 16:6 The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Yes, I have a good inheritance. Our inheritance is Christ our savior who saves us from our sins and reconciles us to God.

Mt 11:25 ¶ At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.26 Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight. 27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.

Nothing else can be good other than God Himself as He reveals Himself as our Savior in the person of Christ Jesus. Mt 19:17 So He said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments."

[ Mt 20:15 'Is it not lawful for me to do what I wish with my own things? Or is your eye evil because I am good?'  The person in this illustration is christ Himself who is good.
Joh 10:11 "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep.
 Joh 10:14 "I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own.

Eph 1:9 having made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His good pleasure which He purposed in Himself,

Can you shed some light on this

Thanks,
Servant  ;)

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #140 on: May 04, 2005, 09:32:35 AM »
>>>
Nothing else can be good other than God Himself as He reveals Himself as our Savior in the person of Christ Jesus. Mt 19:17 So He said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments."
<<<

That's not true. Sounds like the same declaration that was made declaring nothing else can be perfect but God, which was equally proven false in the image of God thread (in which this message now resides). Many things can be good, can be perfect, and can be righteous, it simply depends upon the context. We can't just arbitrarily declare words symbolic and spiritual, without substantive meaning. Because once we start down that "slippery slope" there is no end to the adulteration of God's word. It wasn't really a garden, it was really a tree, it wasn't really created in 6 days, the list becomes endless.

Yes, man after the fall "obviously" cannot be good, just as assuredly as man before the fall was the creation of God, and was good. For (as God plainly said) his whole creation that He saw was good. We can't just deny that and arbitrarily say maybe it really doesn't mean what it says, or maybe it wasn't really good after all. We can't just take what He says was created in the image of God and say maybe it wasn't really created in the image of God after all, or what God says was perfect (Ezekiel 28:14-15), and again contradict Him in saying no he wasn't, because in man's finite definitions nothing can be perfect but God. Because that is a blatant denial of God's word.

At any rate, you're continuaing your theme of the "image of God" so I've transfered your messages to that thread, rather than in the "Was Adam and Eve Regenerated" thread.

nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Bunyan

• Luke 8:24
« Reply #141 on: May 04, 2005, 04:10:07 PM »
Tony can good also mean:::---
Ge 1:31 ¶ And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

can it also mean that when God created everything He had made it was very good,Good for His salvation plan ,good ground for Christ the seed to be sown to save many..

We can say good means the woman or good means the tree or good means the good skins God gave Adam for clothes if we are just going to throw stuff out there and see what sticks. But the bible says everything God created was Good, and clearly God was satisfied with it all until Adam sinned.

Wasn't the creation cursed by sin? Do you reject that? I don't know why some people move heaven and hell not to receive the plain sense of the text, but if God didn't say good only means good for his salvation plan, we cannot add it to God's word. And why do you ignore the fact that Adam sinned, and that is why it was no longer good and creation was cursed? It seems quite obvious to me from scripture. We would have to be predisposed to not accept this plain sense of the text to read anything foreign into it.
"The law says, 'do this,' and it is never done. Grace
says, 'believe in this,' and everything is already done
."
- Martin Luther

Rhodarose

• In the Palm of His Hand
« Reply #142 on: June 05, 2005, 03:50:59 AM »
Hi All   :)

I am new to this forum but i have to admit I am confused....I started on this thead and read a couple pages and then skipped to the end page so if anyone else came up with this concept I am not aware...

Was Adam Created in God's Image?...

"Adam" may not even be a "name"... but adam means "man"

Ge 1:26-28
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

Let us make man in our image, after our likeness...
male and female created he them.

Woman was taken out of man...but in the beginning they were one, combined, as was God because we are made in the likeness of God...who is male and female, also, combined...in such we get the "us" and "our"

Joh 4:24      God is a Spirit 

...so...we were made in His image...in the beginning...IF God was to walk in front of a mirror what would the image of His Spirit be...?  If we would walk in front of this same mirror, what would our image be...when we were made like Him, in the beginning...?  Spirit!!  Naked!!!  No covering !!!!
and we were not embarrassed because we did not even know it !!!!!  We where invisable...like the wind....

Joh 3:7-8
Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

...and it is hard to tell from the writing if God created more than one in His image and likeness of male and female combined because he said "them" which could mean more than one "adam"...plus, does not an atom divide and split again and again and again till there is many out of just the original one...? 
"Be fruitful, and multiply"
I was not a science wiz but I think that is what does that...atom/adam....I have found that God is no "fool" and in knowing the beginning from the end He knew, with some help from Himself, the "atom" would be named atom so we could get this correlation...He does this with many modern day things if you would notice...like "conseption" a thought developing into a spoken word ..or.. a new life "seed" ...

I have more thoughts on this creation (or two creation) stories but will save them for another post...too much at once is confusing...

Love and Blessings,
Rhoda
Love and Blessings, Rhoda 

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • 🌴"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. -Psalm 52:8"
« Reply #143 on: January 29, 2017, 12:59:35 AM »
Hello everyone,

Let me shed some light on teh discussion going on in this thread....

Those who think that Adam was created in the image of God perfect blameless and holy which only Christ is entitled to don't believe in teh doctrine of predestination.

You've certainly made this thread interesting, but your charge is certainly not true. Those of us who believe that man as created in the image of God believe so because the Bible says so (Ge 1:27). Those of us who believe that man was created perfect believe that because the Bible says so (Eze 28:15). It has nothing to do with man being a deity, or with not believing the doctrine of Predestination. It has to do with believing in the authority of God's word over man's word. We certainly believe in Predestination and the sovereignty of God. You can't use that charge to detract from what these Christians are saying. They are simply telling you what God had inspired written, that man was created in the image of God. Somehow he sinned in the garden and lost that and he is regenerated unto it again in Christ Jesus.

"For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. Ro. 8:29"

Melanie

• Gold Member
« Reply #144 on: January 29, 2017, 01:00:11 AM »
Adam is called the "son of God" because that phrase signifies a covenant believer. It's all about the Covenant and unfortunately so many people don't have any understanding of how Adam, created perfect, under the covenant of works, sinned, was separated from God, and then came under this covenant of grace. Wow, this is a beautiful revelation by God of the Covenant.

:amen:  Isn't God's word simply marvelous how it works like that? Adam created in the image of God, falling from that image, and in this God painting a picture of man's salvation (return to the image of God) in covenant confirmed by the second Adam, which is Christ. It ust brings you to your knees it's so beautiful and merciful of God. Reformed covenant theology just brings this to light so clearly in God's predestination of hose chosen to it.

"But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth: Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle. 2 Thessalonians 2:12-15"

Melanie

• Gold Member
« Reply #145 on: January 29, 2017, 01:01:26 AM »
Stacia,

The verses in Ezekiel can refer to only one of two beings...Satan, or Adam?  To which do you contend these words are spoken?  The article on cherubim by Tony Warren is of great help in clearing up the mystery.

Agreed. It can't be Satan because the King of Babylon points to Satan in that scenario.  As someone already pointed out in this thread, you can't have Satan in a battle against Satan. So if it's not Satan, it can only be mankind in Adam who was created perfect in the garden of Eden until iniquity was found in Him.

"And he called them unto him, and said unto them in parables, How can Satan cast out Satan? And if a kingdom be divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. And if a house be divided against itself, that house cannot stand. And if Satan rise up against himself, and be divided, he cannot stand, but hath an end. Mr. 3:23-26"

Laura Tomlinson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #146 on: January 29, 2017, 04:56:58 AM »
Was Adam Created in God's Image?...

"Adam" may not even be a "name"... but adam means "man"

Adam both means man and is the name of the first man. We know that because throughout the Bible God references Adam in conjunction with Eve by name. Also in the list of genealogies, Adam is named along with all the other names. If it just meant man in these instances, how could we distinguish Adam from any other man. We'd sat man begat Robert and man begat Richard. It would be confusing.

Genesis 5:3-4
"And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth: And the days of Adam after he had begotten Seth were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters:"

The days of man weren't 130 years, the days of Adam were. Moreover, what about this verse.

1 Corinthians 15:45
 "And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit."

Here again the first man is identified as Adam. Adam was the name of the first man.

Philly Dawg

• Affiliate Member
  • Thinking Christians
« Reply #147 on: January 30, 2017, 02:08:00 AM »
Melanie, This guy Shoan is worse than Trump. God says one thing and he contradicts it and we are left scratching our heads wondering if he really said that or we didn't really hear what we heard. It's ridiculous to argue God didn't create Adam in his image.
  Kellyanne Conway: Sometimes Trump Lies Because
 He Doesn't Know the Truth, Okay?

Larry

• Reformed & Reforming
« Reply #148 on: January 30, 2017, 07:01:19 PM »
I think he's arguing that God creating man in his own image doesn't mean that man had no sin before the fall. He did say God didn't create man in his own image, but I think he misspoke. But either way, I think he is wrong.

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #149 on: January 31, 2017, 06:43:02 AM »
>>>
I think he's arguing that God creating man in his own image doesn't mean that man had no sin before the fall.
<<<

The wages of sin is death, and the day they sinned or transgressed God's law, is the day they died. If the wage of sin is death, and it is alleged they sinned before, why no death before the fall? It clearly has to be because there was no wages earned, no sin. God caused Adam to remain in the Garden of Eden, the paradise of God, until iniquity (sin) was found in Him. That was the fall. So yes, that does mean that man had no sin before God prior to the fall. It is written, as in Adam, all die. His sin stained mankind forever. The mercy is, in Christ shall all be made alive. His payment of the wage of sin, for His people, restores us to the image of God we lost in Adam's "original sin."

So then, Adam died because the wages of sin is death. We live because Christ paid the wages of sin for us.

>>>
He did say God didn't create man in his own image, but I think he misspoke.
<<<

That's gracious but if so, he misspoke again and again. His whole premise was, "Adam Was Not Created in God's Image." I could be wrong, but I don't see how that is misspeaking. Misspeaking is defined as speaking or pronouncing words incorrectly, not actually meaning what you said. I think it was clear from his many posts that he meant that Man was not created in God's image. Thus I don't think it qualifies as misspeaking.

>>>
But either way, I think he is wrong.
<<<

On that we agree, contradicting everything he postulated about "man not being created in God's image."

Genesis 1:26
  • "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."

There can be no doubt, Man was ceated in God's image, if Scripture is the final authority on what God actually says. Unfortunately, in our day, man has become the final arbiter of what is law.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]