[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Was Adam Created in God's Image?  (Read 28277 times)

Daniel

• I'm a llama!
Re: Was Adam Created in God's Image?
« Reply #120 on: April 21, 2005, 11:30:49 AM »

Daniel,

I don't mean to be curt, but do you understand the "concept" of Rules?

http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/yabbse/rules.html

Either abide by the rules, or don't post here. I'm not interested in opinions without biblical support. As clearly stated in the rules, and which you have been reminded of. There are lots of other forums around the web that you can go to if you just want idle conversation, untenable proclamations and agreement with a pat on the back. But this isn't one of them. If you like, I can send you a list. But this is a Bible forum, discussing and defending doctrines from the bible.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Tony,
     I apologize.  I will adhere to the rules.  I just get excited and forget.
                                                                     Dan

Reformed Baptist

• Reformed Baptists
« Reply #121 on: April 22, 2005, 06:28:57 AM »
Here is what we Baptists believe concerning man being made in the image of God. Which he most definately was, according to the infallible word of God!

The 2000 Baptist Faith and Message

III. Man

Man is the special creation of God, made in His own image. He created them male and female as the crowning work of His creation. The gift of gender is thus part of the goodness of God's creation. In the beginning man was innocent of sin and was endowed by his Creator with freedom of choice. By his free choice man sinned against God and brought sin into the human race. Through the temptation of Satan man transgressed the command of God, and fell from his original innocence whereby his posterity inherit a nature and an environment inclined toward sin. Therefore, as soon as they are capable of moral action, they become transgressors and are under condemnation. Only the grace of God can bring man into His holy fellowship and enable man to fulfill the creative purpose of God. The sacredness of human personality is evident in that God created man in His own image, and in that Christ died for man; therefore, every person of every race possesses full dignity and is worthy of respect and Christian love.

Genesis 1:26-30; 2:5,7,18-22; 3; 9:6;
Psalms 1; 8:3-6; 32:1-5; 51:5;
Isaiah 6:5;
Jeremiah 17:5;
Matthew 16:26;
Acts 17:26-31;
Romans 1:19-32; 3:10-18,23; 5:6,12,19; 6:6; 7:14-25; 8:14-18,29;
1 Corinthians 1:21-31; 15:19,21-22;
Ephesians 2:1-22;
Colossians 1:21-22; 3:9-11.

Reformed Baptist

• Reformed Baptists
« Reply #122 on: April 22, 2005, 06:55:34 AM »
The word of God is spritual and therefore every part of it is spritual.

Are you saying that there is no literal application? That is an indefensible conclusion. God created man very literally.

My sense is that you are continually misrepresenting other christian's views. That's not very christian. I think two or three people have already told you that they do recognize the spiritual application. I'll join that voice saying that we do recognize the spiritual application. But also the very literal application. So why don't you stop bearing false witness?

If Adam had the image of God he would know God and would share perfect relationship with the Father.

His relationship with God was a perfect relationship until he sinned, was cast out of the Paradise of God, and separated from God where he was no longer allowed to live in the garden of Eden. You are confused about how God communed with Adam in the garden.

Genesis 3:8 "And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden."

Adam did not hide himself from the presence of God until he sinned. So before then, their was a perfect relationship between God and man. After he sinned, he was separated from God. The essence of death, the wages of sin.

My postion is ONLY CHRIST IS PRE-EMINENT and yours  ADAM ALSO IS PRE-EMINENT AND SO IS CHRIST.

Peace!!
Shoan

False witness is not a characteristic of saving faith, it's sad that you have to stoop to it in order to build up your case. We too believe in the preeminence of Christ.

Colossians 1:18 "And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence."

You need to stop bearing false witness in your posts to try and make people think that we are some kind of heretics. It's not christian.

Deuteronomy 5:20 "Neither shalt thou bear false witness against thy neighbour."

Proverbs 21:28 "A false witness shall perish: but the man that heareth speaketh constantly."

Shoan

• He has held My Hand!!
« Reply #123 on: April 22, 2005, 11:31:39 PM »
Reformed baptist,

You don't now what you are talking about.You make Jesus a liar when He said Mt 11:27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him. beacuse no man knows the Father except the Son....not even Adam cause if he had perfect relationship with the Father he would have never sinned.

You quoted :

His relationship with God was a perfect relationship until he sinned, was cast out of the Paradise of God, and separated from God where he was no longer allowed to live in the garden of Eden. You are confused about how God communed with Adam in the garden.

Genesis 3:8 "And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden."

God spoke to even Baalam and so does that mean Baalam had perfect relationship with God as God spoke to him on so many occassions....God also spoke to Satan in the book of Job..does it mean God has perfect relationship with satan..I can give you hundreds of examples from the bible...I feel sad for you that you came up with so poor interpretation of Scripture.

You also quote your traditional baptist beliefs:

Here is what we Baptists believe concerning man being made in the image of God. Which he most definately was, according to the infallible word of God!

The 2000 Baptist Faith and Message

III. Man

Man is the special creation of God, made in His own image. He created them male and female as the crowning work of His creation. The gift of gender is thus part of the goodness of God's creation. In the beginning man was innocent of sin and was endowed by his Creator with freedom of choice. By his free choice man sinned against God and brought sin into the human race. Through the temptation of Satan man transgressed the command of God, and fell from his original innocence whereby his posterity inherit a nature and an environment inclined toward sin. Therefore, as soon as they are capable of moral action, they become transgressors and are under condemnation. Only the grace of God can bring man into His holy fellowship and enable man to fulfill the creative purpose of God. The sacredness of human personality is evident in that God created man in His own image, and in that Christ died for man; therefore, every person of every race possesses full dignity and is worthy of respect and Christian love.

Genesis 1:26-30; 2:5,7,18-22; 3; 9:6;
Psalms 1; 8:3-6; 32:1-5; 51:5;
Isaiah 6:5;
Jeremiah 17:5;
Matthew 16:26;
Acts 17:26-31;
Romans 1:19-32; 3:10-18,23; 5:6,12,19; 6:6; 7:14-25; 8:14-18,29;
1 Corinthians 1:21-31; 15:19,21-22;
Ephesians 2:1-22;
Colossians 1:21-22; 3:9-11.

Tht's where the problem lies ,,,,man is blinded by his traditional beliefs taught to him by his fathers and will do all his best to defend it but whatever you have posted doesnt stand the test of scriptures.

Jesus said Joh 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

If Adam knew God and shared perfect relationship with God he would have eternal life and eternal life cannot be lost as he would be in the image of God which is Christ.
This eternal life is portrayed in the gardern of Eden by the tree of life of which Adam never ate.

Ge 2:9 And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Ge 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever: Ge 3:23 Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.
 24 So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

So could you please tell me which bible tells you that he had eternal life....eternal life is knowing God.

Moreover I have quoted these scriptures again and again but no one seems to answer them but simply ignore them and just quote Gen 1:27-27.....So those who do that are naturally proving that the doctrine they believe is just based on one scripture and it's ok to neglect other scriptures which speak otherwise.
Neglecting is denying

Heb 2:3 how shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation, which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed to us by those who heard Him

I also posted Romans 5:13 which clearly says Ro 5:13 For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

This shows that Adam had the sinful nature but he didnt realize he was in need of a savior and also sin was not imputed to him till the law came "do not eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil".This is proved by the fact that Eve who according to you was created in the  image of God couldnt resist the temptation as she also had the sinful nature which dragged her to sin.(Sin was already in the world)

Ge 3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

The need for a savior came when their eyes were opened(they realized they were sinful).

Ge 3:7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons

Paul says Ro 7:9 I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died.

Did Paul mean to say he was spiritually alive without the law.....no not at all ..actually he quoted Adam there that Adam was alive in a sense that he didn't realize he was sinful and was in desperate need of a Savior but when the law came sin revived and he died..Paul is putting himself in Adam's shoes here and is clearly stating that he too like Adam was in desperate need of a savior before he realized he was sinful but the realization came through the commandment so is the commandment bad ,nO

Ro 7:7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
Ro 7:8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead
Ro 7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
Ro 7:12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.

When the law made man realize he is sinful his desperate need for a savior arose:

Ro 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
Ro 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Only Christ is the savior who rescues His elect..The whole world is alive in the sense they have no realization that they are in need of a Savior and unless God opens the eyes of the blind,Man cannot understand that he is in need of a Savior.As we all know Christ paid the price only for His elect and there God opens the elect's eyes to see that his desperate need is met by his Savior Jesus Christ.

Ga 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

Peace!!
Shoan

stacia

• Not worthy
« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2005, 03:58:06 AM »
Roman 8:20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,.Ro 8:21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God..
 1Corinthians 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
Was Adam a different creature then? Was he having some other body?

Chris

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #125 on: April 24, 2005, 04:37:19 AM »
Roman 8:20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,.Ro 8:21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God..
 1Corinthians 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
Was Adam a different creature then? Was he having some other body?

The New Testament commentary says:

The creation was subjected to vanity; that is, became empty; lost its original significance. The Greek word [mataiotes] rendered "vanity," means "to seek without finding." God placed "the creation" under man's dominion, and when man fell the whole was subject to vanity by God.

In hope. A hope was left to creation in its fallen estate. A promise of final redemption was made to fallen man (#Ge 3:15), and the creation is represented as sharing that hope.

Which is the traditional reformed understanding.

Shoan

• He has held My Hand!!
« Reply #126 on: April 24, 2005, 11:12:54 PM »
The New Testament commentary says:

The creation was subjected to vanity; that is, became empty; lost its original significance. The Greek word [mataiotes] rendered "vanity," means "to seek without finding." God placed "the creation" under man's dominion, and when man fell the whole was subject to vanity by God.

In hope. A hope was left to creation in its fallen estate. A promise of final redemption was made to fallen man (#Ge 3:15), and the creation is represented as sharing that hope.

Which is the traditional reformed understanding

The problem is that the word traditional always appears on this thread.Traditon is what is passed down through centuries,tradition is my fathers have done a research on this subject so I will not be bothered whether they are right or wrong,Because majority here believe in the traditional view let me join them in their belief....these are one class of people

The other here claim I have studied the scriptures and have found my fathers to be right.

Yet others I go with this one's view and that one's view.

Can anyone tell me what's going on??????? is anyone here a follower of God or men.

Where is your standing???? on what yours fathers say or on the Word of God.We all know that man is fallible and cannot be our teacher...Christ is our teacher Mt 23:8 "But you, do not be called 'Rabbi'; for One is your Teacher, the Christ, and you are all brethren.
 Mt 23:10 "And do not be called teachers; for One is your Teacher, the Christ.

Please discuss the Word of God rather than giving the impression that you are a follower of your fathers which were just mere men.

Men are fallible and may have given and handed down their teachings but they may have been wrong teachings and in rebellion with God thinking they were doing service to God.

La 5:7 Our fathers sinned and are no more, But we bear their iniquities.

Ps 78:8 And may not be like their fathers, A stubborn and rebellious generation, A generation that did not set its heart aright, And whose spirit was not faithful to God.

Ps 106:6 We have sinned with our fathers, We have committed iniquity, We have done wickedly

[b]Jer 3:25 We lie down in our shame, And our reproach covers us. For we have sinned against the LORD our God, We and our fathers, From our youth even to this day, And have not obeyed the voice of the LORD our God."

Let us discuss the word of God not tradition.

Peace!!
Shoan

Sue Landow

• Gold Member
  • Distributing to the saints & given to Hospitality.
« Reply #127 on: April 25, 2005, 09:10:29 AM »

Adam did not hide himself from the presence of God until he sinned. So before then, their was a perfect relationship between God and man. After he sinned, he was separated from God. The essence of death, the wages of sin.

R.Baptist, I agree with your understanding of the text. And I think that the spiritual significance of it is very clear because God threw Adam out of his garden because he was unworthy to stay there anymore because of his sin. I say Obviously!

Genesis 3:24
   "So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life."

Obviously he was worthy to be there in the paradise of God (where the tree of life is) before he sinned, and was deemed unworthy to stay there after he had sinned. Who is going to debate against that? I think most of us are on the same very biblical page. And we have to remember that man wasn't forbidden to eat of the tree of life in the garden until after he sinned. God said that he could eat of every tree except the tree of knowledge. That means his sin kept him from partaking of what God hads provided for him. This is the biblical view.

Another thing. It is wrong to say that man was created in sin already, and so he sinned. If he was created in sin, he already had sin before he ate of the tree, and so already had death hanging over him. That cannot be true.

"And again he said, Whereunto shall I liken the kingdom of God? It is like leaven, which a woman took and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened". Luke 13:20-21

Kira

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #128 on: April 25, 2005, 01:23:35 PM »
Kira,
  It's always good to hear that someone is taking the word of God seriously, as it's so rare these days.

Actually, in the original manuscripts the words "us" and "our" do not really appear, but the Hebrew word "God" is elohym or elohym, and is the plural pronoun. i.e., elohym is a form of the word "El" meaning God. In the Hebrew language the "ym" ending imputes plurality. Thus, "Elohym" is the plural from of the word "El," so that the "us" and "our" are explicitly implied and therefore very accurate translations.

Thanks Tony, I didn't know that and it helps tremendously the way you explain it so easily with just a few easily understandable words. Your posts have been a great help to me in understanding this whole image of God question, and it just amazes me the spiritual truths we find simply by adhering faithfully to scripture.

K I R A

Shoan

• He has held My Hand!!
« Reply #129 on: April 25, 2005, 11:23:11 PM »
Sue you said,

Obviously he was worthy to be there in the paradise of God (where the tree of life is) before he sinned, and was deemed unworthy to stay there after he had sinned. Who is going to debate against that? I think most of us are on the same very biblical page. And we have to remember that man wasn't forbidden to eat of the tree of life in the garden until after he sinned. God said that he could eat of every tree except the tree of knowledge. That means his sin kept him from partaking of what God hads provided for him. This is the biblical view.

Who said Adam was in the garden of Eden because he was worthy??? It was the creator's choice to keep him there till sin manifested in Him.

If you were on the biblical page you would have seen what the Word of God says Ro 5:13 For until the law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

You would have seen that Adam never ate of the tree of life which shows he never had eternal life in him,,,just because he was not forbidden to eat of the tree of life(which is symbolic of Christ)...did he choose Christ symbolized by the tree of life or did he manifest his already sinful nature by eating from the  forbidden tree.Can a person choose Christ today of his own free will????

The main point is he never ate of the tree of life cause he couldn't.Could Adam frustrate the will of God(whose will was that before the foundation of the world His elect be chosen to be conformed to the image of Christ by His sacrifice for their sins) by remaining faithful????

Joh 17:3 "And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.

Did Adam know God??? read the above verse and think for yourself???

Also Jesus said Mt 11:27 "All things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father. Nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and the one to whom the Son wills to reveal Him.

If Adam was perfect before the fall according to you then Christ is a liar and that cannot be,,because all men are liars but the word of God is true and faithful.

Also by saying Adam was perfect and holy before he fell one actually believes that Adam apart from Christ was perfect.Perfection only comes by being in christ.

I don't know which biblical page you and others are on????

Peace!!
Shoan

Reformed Baptist

• Reformed Baptists
« Reply #130 on: April 26, 2005, 04:40:30 PM »

R.Baptist, I agree with your understanding of the text. And I think that the spiritual significance of it is very clear because God threw Adam out of his garden because he was unworthy to stay there anymore because of his sin. I say Obviously!

Genesis 3:24
   "So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life."

Thank you Sue. I don't say I have all the answers, but I don't think that there is any question that we are on the right track. The very fact that he was not cast out until he sinned, is proof enough that the sin was the reason for him being cast out. That's just common sense. You should have quoted the passages before verse 24 also, because I believe they also show that he were cast out because of his sin.

Genesis 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:
 Genesis 3: 23 Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.

God says "therefore" the Lord sent him out of the garden, which to me means because of his sin he would have eaten of the tree of life next. But because of his sin, he was now unworthy to eat of it. I think some people want to put the cart before the horse. Put sin and punishment before sin. This should go on Phil Johnson's bookmark's of "Bad Theology."

Obviously he was worthy to be there in the paradise of God (where the tree of life is) before he sinned, and was deemed unworthy to stay there after he had sinned. Who is going to debate against that?

The same people who debate against God being created in the image of God, even though God says man was created in the image of God?  ;)

I think most of us are on the same very biblical page. And we have to remember that man wasn't forbidden to eat of the tree of life in the garden until after he sinned. God said that he could eat of every tree except the tree of knowledge. That means his sin kept him from partaking of what God hads provided for him. This is the biblical view.

I agree. Tony said it best, Adam was the anointed Cherub, the image of God in the garden until the day iniquity was found in him. And isn't it amazing that God says of the Cherubim, it was the image of the glory of God (In Ezekiel somewhere). Man was the glory of God in the garden of Eden until he sinned and was separted from God. Perhaps that is why scripture says, "Ye are gods." Something for another thread I guess.

stacia

• Not worthy
« Reply #131 on: April 27, 2005, 01:04:36 AM »
Ro 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
Ro 3:11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.
Ro 3:12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.
Ro 3:13 Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips:
Ro 3:14 Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness:
 15 Their feet are swift to shed blood:
 16 Destruction and misery are in their ways:
Ro 3:17 And the way of peace have they not known:
 18 There is no fear of God before their eyes

The above scripture applies for all man including Adam Except the perfect one Christ.
If Adam was perfect then this scripture should not be there in the Bible.Either you all are right or God is wrong

Sue Landow

• Gold Member
  • Distributing to the saints & given to Hospitality.
« Reply #132 on: April 27, 2005, 03:42:39 AM »

Thank you Sue. I don't say I have all the answers, but I don't think that there is any question that we are on the right track. The very fact that he was not cast out until he sinned, is proof enough that the sin was the reason for him being cast out. That's just common sense. You should have quoted the passages before verse 24 also, because I believe they also show that he were cast out because of his sin.

Yes sir that is an elementary principle, that you cannot sin without sining, and God said that Adam's sin was that he ate of the tree of knowledge. That was man's first sin. You're right that I should have included the other verses in context because they also show man's sin. But just to keep repeating that man is not perfect only Christ is, is to totally miss the point.

Genesis 6:9 "These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God."

As was previously pointed out, God has different ways he uses the word perfect. Below is a piece I cut and pasted from a good paper I read on the covenants.

The Covenant of Works

Having created man in his own image as a free creature with knowledge, righteousness, and holiness, God entered into covenant with Adam that he might bestow upon him further blessing. Called variously the Edenic covenant, the covenant of nature, the covenant of life, or preferably the covenant of works, this pact consisted of (1) a promise of eternal life upon the condition of perfect obedience throughout a probationary period; (2) the threat of death upon disobedience; and (3) the sacrament of the tree of life, or, in addition, the sacraments of paradise and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Although the term "covenant" is not mentioned in the first chapters of Genesis, it is held that all the elements of a covenant are present even though the promise of eternal life is there by implication only. Before the fall Adam was perfect but could still have sinned; had he retained his perfection throughout the probationary period, he would have been confirmed in righteousness and been unable to sin.
Inasmuch as he was acting not only for himself but representatively for mankind, Adam was a public person. His fall therefore affected the entire human race that was to come after him; all are now conceived and born in sin. Without a special intervention of God there would be no hope; all would be lost forever.

The good news, however, is that God has intervened in behalf of mankind with another covenant. Unlike the earlier covenant of works, whose mandate was "Do this and you shall live" (cf. Rom. 10:5; Gal. 3:12), the covenant of grace is bestowed on men in their sinful condition with the promise that, in spite of their inability to keep any of the commandments of God, out of sheer grace he forgives their sin and accepts them as his children through the merits of his Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, on the condition of Faith.

M E Osterhaven
"And again he said, Whereunto shall I liken the kingdom of God? It is like leaven, which a woman took and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened". Luke 13:20-21

stacia

• Not worthy
« Reply #133 on: April 27, 2005, 03:06:03 PM »
Having created man in his own image as a free creature with knowledge, righteousness, and holiness, God entered into covenant with Adam that he might bestow upon him further blessing. Called variously the Edenic covenant, the covenant of nature, the covenant of life, or preferably the covenant of works, this pact consisted of (1) a promise of eternal life upon the condition of perfect obedience throughout a probationary period; (2) the threat of death upon disobedience; and (3) the sacrament of the tree of life, or, in addition, the sacraments of paradise and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Although the term "covenant" is not mentioned in the first chapters of Genesis, it is held that all the elements of a covenant are present even though the promise of eternal life is there by implication only. Before the fall Adam was perfect but could still have sinned; had he retained his perfection throughout the probationary period, he would have been confirmed in righteousness and been unable to sin.
Inasmuch as he was acting not only for himself but representatively for mankind, Adam was a public person. His fall therefore affected the entire human race that was to come after him; all are now conceived and born in sin. Without a special intervention of God there would be no hope; all would be lost forever.

The good news, however, is that God has intervened in behalf of mankind with another covenant. Unlike the earlier covenant of works, whose mandate was "Do this and you shall live" (cf. Rom. 10:5; Gal. 3:12), the covenant of grace is bestowed on men in their sinful condition with the promise that, in spite of their inability to keep any of the commandments of God, out of sheer grace he forgives their sin and accepts them as his children through the merits of his Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, on the condition of Faith.

M E Osterhaven
Who is this M E Osterhaven? Is he God?
From which bible is the above quote?
Ge 6:8  But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.
Noah didnt have his own righteousness but by Gods grace he was made righteous.
peace

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #134 on: April 27, 2005, 03:41:27 PM »

But just to keep repeating that man is not perfect only Christ is, is to totally miss the point.

Genesis 6:9 "These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God."

As was previously pointed out, God has different ways he uses the word perfect. Below is a piece I cut and pasted from a good paper I read on the covenants.

Appreciate your input Sue. I think that Covenant Theology is really the only theology that answers the question of original sin, the serpent, the image of God Adam was created in, Infant baptism, Covenant eschatology, the seed of the woman, Christ as Israel, the covenant of works, the Church in the wilderness, Moses and the law, and on and on. Without a rudimentary understanding of covenant theology, I think that many people are bound to comne to really bad conclusions and misinterpret scripture. And everyone doesn't have the mind to sort this all out, and that's why it's not something that all Christians have to know. So I appreciate you posting that little blog about the Covenant and Adam being created perfect before God. Because for those of us who appreciate consistent theology, it's very exciting to put this more and more together.

Genesis 3:20
  And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.

This is the spiritual reason why Eve was the mother of all living, the woman who's seed would bruise Satan's head. This tells me that Adam and Eve found grace in God's eyes also, and by him clothing them with skins, was made a figure of their being righteous again by the covering of Christ. The amazing thing we see is that they didn't need clothing before they sinned, but afterward they had to be clothed by God. What a stunning portrait of man. Anyone who cannot see the spiritual application here just doesn't have ability to get it. When Adam sinned, he lost his righteousness, and had to be clothed in Christ just like the rest of us. They became part of the covenant relationship that God has made with his chosen people. I really don't know how those who don't understand the covenant of works, can really understand the covenant of grace.

Luke 3:38
  Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

Adam is called the "son of God" because that phrase signifies a covenant believer. It's all about the Covenant and unfortunately so many people don't have any understanding of how Adam, created perfect, under the covenant of works, sinned, was separated from God, and then came under this covenant of grace. Wow, this is a beautiful revelation by God of the Covenant.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]