[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Was Adam Created in God's Image?  (Read 28445 times)

Shoan

• He has held My Hand!!
Re: Was Adam Created in God's Image?
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2005, 11:18:05 AM »
dsouzaanothny ...I must call Judy miss judgemental.....she is arguing about things she  doesn't understand and doesn't wish to understand..She is contradicting herself as she says that Adam was created in teh image of God and says Adam was not saved before his fall but still had the image....can she show a single verse which shows how can one have teh image of God without being saved......tha's the language of a rebel.

Peace!!
Shoan

judykanova

• Gold Member
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2005, 12:06:18 PM »
J
udy and all,
Please log on to www.wordofchrist.net for the doctrines of the beginning.After studying the same please come back to the board and show your views.
Peace

Stacia,  I took a glance at the study (85 pages).  Have not yet read it carefully.  From what I understand, this author is not denying that man was created in God's image (as some here have been doing), but rather addressing misconceptions of what that means.  Namely that it does not mean Adam was saved and lost his salvation (which we all agree to). He also notes (as has been noted already in this thread), that Adam was in need of a Saviour just as we all are.

I haven't yet pinpointed what he thinks the passages in question mean, so much as what they don't mean.  If  he does give an explaination and I missed it, please provide the excerpt.

Overall, from what I've read so far, it appears sound and helps clear up some misconceptions .  My main observation at this point is that the views expressed by Shoan and DSOUZAANTHONY are not representative of this study.

judy
'For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.'   Ps 119:89

stacia

• Not worthy
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2005, 12:29:47 PM »
Dear Judy,
 I urge you to  read the study carefully and then give your suggestion.
Blessings

Daniel

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2005, 12:34:09 PM »
     Maybe it would help our study if we considered what it means to be "created in the image of God." 
                                                                    Dan

Herman Stowe

• SBC
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2005, 02:25:12 PM »
     Maybe it would help our study if we considered what it means to be "created in the image of God." 
                                                                    Dan

It would help if people understood what Adam being created in the image of God means, versus re-created, regenerated, reborn in the image of God that we all had happen in the last Adam, Christ. Two entirely different things. And I believe that seems to be the main sticking point between the two groups. One side wants to make them both mean the same thing and is thus denying scripture that we were created in God's image.

Genesis 1:26 "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth".

Perhaps a study of the words "regenerated" or "born again" might help us understand how we in Adam were born with some perfect characteristics or likeness of God and lost something where we had to be recreated in it again in Christ. But let's stop saying that we were not created in the image of God, because that is clearly not true.

Herman Stowe

• SBC
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2005, 02:35:02 PM »
dsouzaanothny ...I must call Judy miss judgemental.....she is arguing about things she  doesn't understand and doesn't wish to understand..She is contradicting herself as she says that Adam was created in teh image of God and says Adam was not saved before his fall but still had the image....can she show a single verse which shows how can one have teh image of God without being saved......tha's the language of a rebel.

Peace!!
Shoan

Calling names is not helpful nor is it a respectful argument. Why is it that it seems whenever someone shows scriptures that contradict another's opinion, they are labeled judgmental? I never could figure that one out. One thing is sure. If scripture says Adam was created in the image of God, then he was. There are no "maybe's" about it.  And if scripture says those who are of Christ have been conformed to the image of God, then it means we were "again" or recreated in the image of God. It just makes sense. Regenerated means a second genesis or creation. Look it up in scripture.

Titus 3:5 "Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;"

Titus 3:6 "Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;"

Why do we have to be re-generated if we were not once originally generated in the image of God? Some here are not really following what is written but instead choose to label people who disagree with their view as judgmental.

Shoan

• He has held My Hand!!
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2005, 12:26:23 AM »
Herman Stowe,

note that the  scripture you have quoted has already been addressed in this thread by dsouzaanthony and me.You cant just take that verse having Adam in view as we come into the image of God in christ as Christ is the image of God.
Genesis 1:26 "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth".

The account is spiritual just as God said "Let there be light and there was light"...tell me can you come to a conclusion that God created the sun there without comparing it with other scriptures...Please read 2Corin 4:6  For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

You cant know what God meant by Let there be light till you compare and understand where God thru apostle Paul reveals the intended meaning of that verse.

Similarly we can't just say Adam was created in the image of God as you quoted unless we compare with other scriptures which reveal that man is brought to the image of God only during salvation.

Romans 8:29 ¶ For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Man(the chosen) was predestinated to be conformed to the image of Christ the son of God and hence was not created in the image of God.

1Co 15:49 And as we have borne the image of the man of dust(Adam), we shall also bear the image of the heavenly Man(Christ).

2Co 4:4 whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them.

Col 1:15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.

Col 3:10 and have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him,(Gen 1:26)

Eph 4:24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness

Heb 1:3 who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high

2Co 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new

I have also addressed the word regeneration..the Greek word is  "anakainwsiv,  anakainosis,  an-ak-ah'-ee-no-sis "
In that he saith, A new (kainos:G2537) covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.  (Heb 8:13)

Kainos (new) refers to a genuinely new thing that "cannot be mixed with the old"  (Mk. 2:21-22).

No man also seweth a piece of new cloth on an old garment: else the new (kainos:G2537) piece that filled it up taketh away from the old, and the rent is made worse.  And no man putteth new wine into old bottles: else the new wine doth burst the bottles, and the wine is spilled, and the bottles will be marred: but new wine must be put into new (kainos:G2537) bottles.  (Mark 2:21-22)

In Col. 3:10, we find kainos as the compound verb anakainoo. 

When kainos, with its forward looking meaning, is combined with the prefix ana, it cannot be translated re new. 

A similar causative sense for compound words with ana can be noticed in anablepsis, "cause to see" (for the first time), anagenao, "cause to be born," anakoino, "cause to lie down," anapauo, "cause to rest," anatello, "cause to rise," anaphaino, "cause to appear," anapsuxis, “cause relief."  Therefore anakainoo does not mean "renew"

It simply means cause to be made new(for the 1st time not renewed Adam)....therefore the scripture is And have put on the new man, which is made new (anakainoo:G341) in knowledge after the image of him that created him:  (Col 3:10) 

Similarly it applies for verse you have qouted born again,regeneration.

Peace!!
Shoan

judykanova

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2005, 01:57:41 AM »
quote from Herman:
If scripture says Adam was created in the image of God, then he was. There are no "maybe's" about it.  And if scripture says those who are of Christ have been conformed to the image of God, then it means we were "again" or recreated in the image of God. It just makes sense. Regenerated means a second genesis or creation. Look it up in scripture.

Herman,
I think you've identified the main area of confusion of some who aren't making the proper distinction between re-generation -- (born again), versus what it means to be created in the image of God.  Some still view this as one and the same, when they are not,  for Adam from the start was as much in need of salvation as any man.  The only difference between Adam before the fall, and Adam after the fall, was that he had not yet been tested -- namely he had not yet been presented with the opportunity to demonstrate that he was capable of sin.

Whether we understand this or not, has no bearing on the fact that the Bible declares both things to be true.  We would do well to try and reconcile the two rather than deny either.

I earlier proposed one possibility of what it means to be "created in the image of God".  Namely that it may signify that Adam (and all mankind thereafter), have a soul essence.  This distinguishes man from all other creatures.  The fact that we have a soul or spirit essence makes us unique and like God.   Whereas, the fact that our soul or spirit must be cleansed by God, is what salvation is all about.

Another possible way of looking at this is that Adam, before the fall, only had knowledge of 'Good' (God).  After succumbing to sin and eating of the Tree of the knowledge of good and evil, Adam allowed evil to enter into his heart/mind.  And the hearts of men ever since have been "desperately wicked".  

Jer 17
9  The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
10  I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.

So again, it's the heart (soul/spirit) of man that connects us to God, and by which God may rightly judge after "searching the heart" of every man.  All would be found guilty ("for as in Adam all die") save for the cleansing of the heart/soul/spirit of those chosen before the foundation of the world, by Christ's work of atonement on the cross, and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.  

In a sense, salvation is like having our spirit replaced with the Spirit of God.  Perhaps it’s also in this sense that we can see that Adam, though created "perfect" (sinless), was not given the gift of salvation (the Holy Spirit) at the time God created him.  So in short, while the spirit of man links him to God, it requires the Holy Spirit to save him.

But let's go back again to the fact that Adam initially had only the knowledge of good, and no knowledge of evil.  In this sense also, he can be regarded as "perfect".  This "knowledge' of good (God)  also seems important in our understanding of what God may have meant when He said He created man in His image.  

Gen 2
7  And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
8  And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.
9  And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil. ...
16  And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:
17  But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Gen 3
9  And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?
10  And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.
11  And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?
12  And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat. ...

21  Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them.
22  And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:
23  Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.

If Adam (and Eve) had been truly saved at the point of their creation, iniquity would not have been found in their hearts when tested/tempted by the serpent.  I'm again reminded of the study by Tony which illustrates that Adam is in view in this passage:

Eze 28
12  Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty.
13  Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.
14  Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.
15  Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.
16  By the multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire.
17  Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee.

Did not Adam "corrupt his wisdom" (which was previously only of good/God) by eating of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil?  And wasn't Adam thereby cast out of Eden -- away from "God's Holy mountain" and away from the tree of life, onto the ground outside of Eden?

Thus, by having our hearts/soul regenerated by the Holy Spirit, we are again brought into the "the knowledge of God", and we are cleansed from all iniquity by the "covering" of Christ.

Col 1:10  
That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;

Whenever we try to explain something as daunting as being "created in the image of God", I recognize that there are aspects we may never fully understand and should approach humbly.  By offering these additional thoughts, possibilities and Scriptures, it helps me to reconcile these seemingly contradictory concepts of Adam being made "perfect" and in the image of God; while on the other hand, succumbing to sin when tested, and thereby demonstrating his need of a salvation.  

I think we have to recognize, as Herman indicated in his post, that there is a difference between being in state of sinlessness versus salvation.  Perhaps an imperfect example would be a baby who is not yet saved, and for a period gives no outward  signs of sin, but is as desperately in need of salvation as the vilest adult -- for a miss is a good as a mile as far as God's laws are concerned -- laws that he began to established from the start in the Garden of Eden.  

It becomes more difficult to reconciling these concepts, if we endow Adam with qualities he never had, and/or try to equate “perfection” with “salvation”.

I hope this helps the studies of others, although I feel this just scratches the surface and I don't claim to know the answers,

judy

Shoan

• He has held My Hand!!
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2005, 02:26:20 AM »
Eze 28
12  Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty.
13  Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.
14  Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.
15  Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.
16  By the multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire.
17  Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold t

The above scriptures are referring to Satan and not Adam and if it refers to Adam...poor Adam is lost forever as God is going to lay him down to the ground(never to be resurrected which means no salvation) and he will be layed before kings(the elect are kings and priests in the kingdom of God that they may behold Adam as lost)....this is the confusion that is brought by men replacing Adam when God is talking about Satan who will be laid to the ground (under the wrath of God forever)

Peace!!
Shoan

judykanova

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2005, 03:10:15 AM »
Eze 28
12 Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty.
13 Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.
14 Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.
15 Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.
16 By the multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire.
17 Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold t

The above scriptures are referring to Satan and not Adam and if it refers to Adam...poor Adam is lost forever as God is going to lay him down to the ground(never to be resurrected which means no salvation) and he will be layed before kings(the elect are kings and priests in the kingdom of God that they may behold Adam as lost)....this is the confusion that is brought by men replacing Adam when God is talking about Satan who will be laid to the ground (under the wrath of God forever)

Peace!!
Shoan

Shoan,

Eze 28 is secondary to this thread.  Regardless of whether that passage refers to Adam or Satan, the focal point of this discussion is what God meant when He said that man was created in His image.  You still haven't come up with a plausible meaning -- denial is not an option.

judy

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2005, 06:00:57 AM »
>>>
Perhaps a study of the words "regenerated" or "born again" might help us understand how we in Adam were born with some perfect characteristics or likeness of God and lost something where we had to be recreated in it again in Christ. But let's stop saying that we were not created in the image of God, because that is clearly not true.
<<<

And all God's people said, AMEN!

You are exactly right. Christ regenerated, or literally "generated again," what was lost in Adam's transgression. Man's righteousness before God. Regeneration means a spiritual renovation or Messianic restoration to sinlessness. And unlike in Adam, with the second Adam, Christ, it can never be lost again. The question is, Man is restored to what? When we answer that, we have our answer. If we are actually seeking it and not self-justification.

Isaiah 1:25-26
  • "And I will turn my hand upon thee, and purely purge away thy dross, and take away all thy tin:
  • And I will restore thy judges as at the first, and thy counsellors as at the beginning: afterward thou shalt be called, The city of righteousness, the faithful city."

The restoration is unto righteousness, the righteousness which man had at the beginning, and which he lost in the first Adam. And that restoration can "ONLY" occur in Christ. It's not in an earthly nation Israel, and it's not in physical grandeur of people, it's in Christ. In Him alone are we "conformed again" to the image of God. In the Second Adam are we regenerated in Christ and recover what the first Adam lost. ..which was perfection before God, lost by his "FIRST" sin! The doctrine of original sin is at stake here, and unfortunately, not everyone comprehends it's necessity or importance in Christianity.

nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2005, 06:12:18 AM »
>>>
Herman Stowe,

note that the  scripture you have quoted has already been addressed in this thread by dsouzaanthony and me.You cant just take that verse having Adam in view as we come into the image of God in christ as Christ is the image of God.

The account is spiritual just as God said "Let there be light and there was light"...tell me can you come to a conclusion that God created the sun there without comparing it with other scriptures.
<<<

What are you talking about? When God said let there be light, there was "VERY LITERAL LIGHT."  The fact that it has spiritual significance also is not the question, nor does it negate creation of light on the earth. That God said Adam was created in the image of God is a "VERY LITERAL" statement. Once one starts spiritualizing without Biblical warrant, the whole Bible becomes subject to man's own personal opinions or private interpretations. What's to stop me from saying the first sin was spiritual? Or that God clothed Adam and eve with skins was also just spiritual and thety were never really naked. No, it was very LITERAL, though it most certainly has a spiritual application. There is nothing in scripture that would have us think we should believe anything different. And man's added conclusions and private interpretations of what God said is not the Christian's authority. What is actually written there is accurate and authoritative.

>>>
A similar causative sense for compound words with ana can be noticed in anablepsis, "cause to see" (for the first time), anagenao, "cause to be born," anakoino, "cause to lie down," anapauo, "cause to rest," anatello, "cause to rise," anaphaino, "cause to appear," anapsuxis, “cause relief."  Therefore anakainoo does not mean "renew"

It simply means cause to be made new(for the 1st time not renewed Adam)....therefore the scripture is And have put on the new man, which is made new (anakainoo:G341) in knowledge after the image of him that created him:  (Col 3:10) 

Peace!!
Shoan
<<<

Lord save us from the plague of wanna-be Greek experts! This is complete and utter Nonsense obviously devised to confound someone who doesn't know any better. It's nothing but abstruse babbling to deceive the hearts of the simple. The fact is, regeneration means "created again." And it's not even that complicated. The Greek word translated regeneration is [palingenesia] and means exactly that. It's from two words, [palin], meaning "again" and "genesis" meaning creation. It's where Christians got the phrase "born again." There is no AMBIGUITY in the word regeneration. And the root word from which the Greek word comes, means to restore or renew. Which any "real" expert in the the Greek will most assuredly tell you.

Hebrews 6:6
  • "If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame."

See that word translated "renew?" It's [anakainizo] and it's root is the same root word from which the word Regeneration comes from, meaning to RENEW. But we can play the, "I'm a better Greek Interpreter than you," all day long, and it solves nothing. I'm not going to do the "Deueling verb tenses and nuances" with you. "Been there, done that!"  It is an exercise in futility.  This "tactic" is very typical of those who cannot refute plain scripture, and so must resort to convoluting and twisting it instead. If I had a dime for all the "wanna-be" Greek experts that completely adulterated the Greek for their own vain and selfish purposes, I'd have a stack ten feet high.

So, show from the scriptures where God says man was not created in the image of God. If you can. Can you? ..I doubt it! Because that would make God a liar because I can show you where God's unambiguously said that Adam was created in God's image. So again, the question always comes back to the same thing every time. "Who do we believe, God or man?" That is the pertinent question here.

Romans 3:4
  • "God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged."

Man was created in the image of God (according to God), and chosen man was regenerated in the image of God through Christ. Man was perfect in the Garden of Eden before he sinned, and man is made perfect again through Christ. Man was the first Adam, Christ the second Adam for the express purpose of restoration.

nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2005, 06:42:54 AM »
>>>
As for three verses that have been mentioned to prove that ALL men were created in the image of God, let me add: 

Ro. 8:29 - whom He foreknew, He designates beforehand also to be conformed to the image of His Son, for Him to be the Firstborn among many brethren

This verse does not say that all men are conformed to the image of Christ.  It in fact shows that only those whom are foreknown will be. 
<<<

Sorry Sandy, this is "Straw Man" number one! No one said that all men are conformed to the image of God. In point of fact, I think we all deny that all men are conformed to the image of God. So let's not go there. The real fact is, in order for the elect to be conformed to the image of God, it must mean that they "CANNOT" be in the image of God presently.

God said Adam was created in the image of God, not that man still is. Thus somewhere along the line, Adam our federal headship, lost the image of God that he was created in, and we from his fall no longer have it. And of course, this is "PRECISELY WHY" the Elect has to be conformed to the image of God. Because in Adam, they lost that image of God they were created in. They lost the righteousness (being without sin) that Adam clearly possessed until he sinned. ...where's the mystery?

That man (Adam) was the figure of the second Adam, Christ, is not contested. That Adam was not created in the image of God, is contested. Because it's not true, according to the Bible.

>>>
1 Co. 11:7 - For a man, indeed, possessing the image and glory of God ought not to have the head covered. 

Neither does this verse tell us that ALL men possess the image of God.  It tells us that the man who does possess the image and glory of God represents his Head--Christ--Who is the Image and Glory of God.  It also uses the singular "a man" not All men.
<<<

And this is "Straw Man" number two! Again, no one is postulating that all men are in the image of God. You are making the typical argument against a straw man, and it has no merit whatsoever. Because we all agree with you. Believers are conformed to the image of God, and they are the only ones conformed to the image of God. That has "nothing" to do with Adam being created in the image of God. ...which he very UNAMBIGUOUSLY was.

Genesis 1:26
  • "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."
Christ was not man made in God's image, Christ was God made in man's image. So obviously, when God spoke here in the beginning, He is speaking about a very LITERAL man at that time (Adam), and his very LITERAL creation at that time, and how it was in the very image of God. As much as you might like, you cannot simply toss certain passages out the window because they don't agree with man's philosophy. All scripture has to be harmonized and taken in conjunction with all other scripture. Not "set apart" from it or denied.

Genesis 1:27
  • "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them."
It is a "stretch" of the highest order to declare that God was not speaking about Adam and Eve. These scripture "MUST" be true, and man's understanding that Adam was not created in the image of God must be in error. Else we have confusion, wresting and adulteration. Adam was created in the likeness of God because He was created in the characteristics of God. He was created without sin, having reason, and the inherent attributes of God that sets him apart from animals. And this is why God gave him dominion over the earth and everything in it when He made this statement. There was no fault found in man, he was perfect from the day he was created until the day he sinned.

>>>
James 3:9 - With it we are blessing the Lord and Father, and with it we are cursing men who have come to be in accord with God's likeness.

Finally, this verse does not say all men possess the likeness of God.  Rather it speaks to those in the Church who are using their tongues to bless God, and also using their tongues to curse those men who have become the likeness of God.  In other words those who have become saved. 
<<<

And of course, this is "Straw Man" number three! I hope you have read that 85 page article better than you've read this 6 page thread. Because I haven't said that all men are in the image of God now. In fact, I have said just what this verse very plainly says. That those who have come to be in accord with God's likeness, are those who have been conformed to the image of Christ. Those who are not saved are not conformed to the image of Christ. And I don't need 85 pages to tell me that either. It's demonstrated in a couple "Bible Passages" and cannot be denied. But what can be, and is denied, is that Adam was not created in the image of God. Because, thus saith the scriptures.

Romans 3:4
  • "God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged."
Again, I don't need 85 pages to tell me Adam was not created in the image of God, because God's word is the truth, and He said that Adam was. And He said it unambiguously! Therefore, any man who contradicts His word, of necessity, is the liar, while God is true.  I have never found one single statement in God's word that "somehow" wasn't true. Therefore, Adam was created in the image of God and was perfectly righteous before him until the day he committed man's first sin.

>>>
Before you reject this study outright, as being unworthy of consideration, I suggest you give it the due diligence it rightly deserves.  Judge for yourself whether it has merit, but don't simply cast it aside and then act as though it has no value.  I am not telling you that everything in it aligns perfectly, and can be proven through Scripture, just that you should at least search it out before condemning it as unbiblical. 

Sandy   
<<<

I can tell you that about 70 percent of the articles I read have "some" merit. But that doesn't mean that what they are postulating is overall true, or even that it is not unbiblical. Preterism has some truth in it, but it's not accurate,harmoneous or consistent, so it's unbiblical. Postmillennialism has truth in it, but it's not biblical either. Even Roman Catholicism has a lot of truth in some articles, but that doesn't mean their overall position is sound.

And you simply cannot get around the giant box that is Adam was created in the image of God. We can try sneaking in the window, going in the back door, or the side door, but the fact remains, "God created Adam in his own image." And the Adam in view was not Christ. Christ was not created in the image of God, He was God created in the image of man. So what Adam was created in the image of God? The very LITERAL Adam was, and he sinned and lost that perfect righteousness, and came under the penalty of death wherein the only solution was his "regeneration" in the second Adam, Christ. That is the only way man is "restored," "Renewed," "born again," "Regenerated," "recreated" in the image of God.

nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren

Kenneth White

• Thinking Christians, Intelligent Theology
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2005, 02:08:33 PM »
As for three verses that have been mentioned to prove that ALL men were created in the image of God

All men weren't created in the image of God, Adam was. But that image was marred by Adam's sin, and that marring was passed down to all men.

Before you reject this study outright, as being unworthy of consideration, I suggest you give it the due diligence it rightly deserves.  Judge for yourself whether it has merit, but don't simply cast it aside and then act as though it has no value.  I am not telling you that everything in it aligns perfectly, and can be proven through Scripture, just that you should at least search it out before condemning it as unbiblical. 

Sandy   

What makes you think that no one has read this but you? Is it that hard to believe that we have read it and simply disagree with it's main "conclusion," but not it's scriptures and many of it's statements? There is a difference between making a lot of biblical statements, and coming to an unbiblical "conclusion." The statements don't mean the conclusion is correct. What we are saying is that the "conclusion" that Adam was not created in God's image is incorrect.

Proverbs 1:5-6 "A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels: To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings."

Kenneth White

• Thinking Christians, Intelligent Theology
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2005, 02:12:47 PM »

Peace!!
Shoan

Lord save us from the plague of wanna-be Greek experts! This is complete and utter Nonsense

You mean you are not impressed?   ;)  Amen Tony. My concordance/interlinear leaves no doubt about the original Greek. It says that the Greek word for regeneration comes from palin, which means "anew" or "once more," and genesis, which means "nativity" or "birth." So you are absolutely correct, it means a re-birth (not a new birth) or re-creation. We are recreated in a state of righteousness in Christ.

Matthew 12:12-13
 "How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.
 Then saith he to the man, Stretch forth thine hand. And he stretched it forth; and it was restored whole, like as the other."

As you say, here is the "restoration" symbolized by Christ. It is a figure of restoring something to it's "previous state." In other words, being healed or made whole is equivalent to being returned to righteousness again (without sin). As was man in the garden before he sinned.

Without Sin = Righteousness

Before Adam sinned, he was without sin. That is the orthodox reformed position of original sin upon which the truth of the gospel hangs.

Proverbs 1:5-6 "A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels: To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings."

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]