[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: What Is A Holy Kiss?  (Read 1309 times)

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
What Is A Holy Kiss?
« on: January 15, 2017, 08:39:14 PM »
Rom_16:16
Salute one another with an holy kiss. The churches of Christ salute you.

1Co_16:20
All the brethren greet you. Greet ye one another with an holy kiss.

2Co_13:12
Greet one another with an holy kiss.

1Th_5:26
Greet all the brethren with an holy kiss.

Exactly what is holy kiss that Paul wrote?  Are we to actually called to "kiss" one another?
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Terrell Meyer

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Re: What Is A Holy Kiss?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 09:35:59 PM »
1Th_5:26
Greet all the brethren with an holy kiss.

Exactly what is holy kiss that Paul wrote? 

I believe that the New Testament holy kiss was a cultural and sacrosanct kiss on the cheek between brethren. It is much like some people do in France, but with actual joy implying we are in union as one body. It could not be inappropriate or unchaste in any way, and it had to be culturally fitting and morally chaste.

Luke 22:47
"And while he yet spake, behold a multitude, and he that was called Judas, one of the twelve, went before them, and drew near unto Jesus to kiss him."

This was how people greeted friends in those days, but of course in this instance, Judas did it deceitfully. It is a physical expression of love for other believers. That's why Christ asked would he betray him with a kiss. A holy kiss should have union in mined, it should not be a kiss of disunity as Judas's was, but a kiss signifying communion with Christ. It should be as a kiss signifying that we have been reclaimed from a fallen world and set apart to the glory of God.

Are we to actually called to "kiss" one another?

I do not believe that we are to take this literally "today," I believe that this was cultural greeting at the time and now represents a spiritual call for believers to be in holy communion, one with another.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 12:23:04 AM »
Exactly what is holy kiss that Paul wrote?  Are we to actually called to "kiss" one another?

A holy kiss is a greeting of love. To greet others with a holy kiss means to greet all other believers warmly and affectionately, as if they are your family. Because spiritually they are our family. As Christ illustrated when saying they are our mother, father, sister and brother.

Mr 3:34
And he looked round about on them which sat about him, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
35 For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother.

We are all one family and so are to greet each other warmly, affectionately. No, it does not mean that we actually must kiss every Christian you greet Physically, but that we should not be cold or unfriendly to other Christians. We are to treat each other with God's love and affection because we are joined together as one family in the body of Christ.

Larry

• Reformed & Reforming
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 10:41:05 AM »

Travis

• Greetings
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 12:37:02 PM »
Those who think this literally commands physical kissing are in effect saying that the church for the last thousand years has been to a large degree in rebellion against God for not kissing other Christians when they meet? Isn't that legalism? Or maybe I'm not using the right word.

Johnny

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 11:52:51 AM »
If it doesn't mean to actually kiss, why does it say kiss?  :thinker:

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 12:38:39 PM »
>>>
If it doesn't mean to actually kiss, why does it say kiss? :thinker:
<<<

Because the kiss was the cultural and customary expression of a greting in those days. Today we live in a different culture where other gestures will represent the same today as the kiss did 2000 years ago. Just as the word bottle today would be equivalent to wineskins, or a adder or cockatrice would be equivalent to a snake in our day. The point the Lord is making is not a legal or non-legal gesture, but whether or not "our greeting" (whatever it is called) is holy.

2nd Corinthians 13:11-12
  • "Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you.
  • Greet one another with an holy kiss."

Saying kiss in those days was equivalent to saying salutation. It was customary for people to salute one another with a kiss during the apostles’ time. It remains a tradition in some countries today (Italy, Jordan, France, etc.). The kiss is not something literally commanded, since it is just a type of salutory greeting. The point is, is our greeting holy.

1st Corinthians 16:19-20
  • "The churches of Asia salute you. Aquila and Priscilla salute you much in the Lord, with the church that is in their house.
  • All the brethren greet you. Greet ye one another with an holy kiss."

A holy greeting is simply saying hello in mutual friendship an recognition of family, a customary and practical way of demonstrating brotherly or family love. A kiss is simply a type of greeting. In the Eskimo society the customary greeting would be the act of pressing the tip of one's nose against another's (the Kunik). The Bedouin way would be to actually rub noses. In Tibet it would be sticking out your tongue. In American society, the salutory custom of greeting is by a hand shake, a hug or handclasp.

Romans 12:10
  • "Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;"

When we look to define the two Keywords of the greeting (Holy and Kiss), we can get a better understanding of what is actually in view.  "Holy" means pure or without sin, and in this application of the word, Godly or with a fitting sanctity. In other words, that it should not be a immoral, immodest or even wanton greeting, but that the action should have the distinctive quality of holiness in brotherly love. All the verses with this greeting denote the warm, affectioned and Godly conduct of believers.

Romans 16:16
  • "Salute one another with an holy kiss. The churches of Christ salute you."

So then, it is my view that the word "kiss" is simply illustrating the customary salutation in those days. The customary equivalent in our country today would be to greet a hug or a handshake. Needless to say, the real point is not the action of kissing, but the type of Christian greeting (a holy greeting). We are to recognize and welcome one another in a sinless, agape, or charitable manner. We are to greet in a God glorifying and morally practical way, demonstrating brotherly love among Christians. It's the spirit of the kiss/greeting, not the exact physical application in pressing lips to face.

1st Thessalonians 5:26
  • "Greet all the brethren with an holy kiss."

The distinction between the holy kiss and any kiss is not in the type or even the physical expression, the difference is spiritual and internal, and illustrated both in the Christian giving and receiving it.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

William B

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 03:48:30 PM »
Correct Tony, Holy means free from anything inconsistent with their calling as saints (Strong’s).

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]