[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Was Adam Created in God's Image?  (Read 28258 times)

dsouzaanthony

• I'm a llama!
Was Adam Created in God's Image?
« on: February 26, 2005, 03:23:22 AM »
Hello Everyone,

Recently I visited website "www.wordofchrist.net and  read there a topic " Doctrines of the Beginning ", in which the author proves from the Bible that Adam could not have been created in the image of God.  The reason being that had he lost the  image of God (or marred) because of sin, then what guarantee is there for a believer, regenerated in the image of Christ, that he will not lose his salvation in the future.

After reading this topic and comparing scripture with scripture, I can't but come to the same conclusion as the author himself.  Nevertheless, I want to invite your comments, but only after your complete assessment of this topic.

God Bless

Dsouzaanthony

Sportsnut

• I'm a llama!
Re: Was Adam Created in God's Image?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 06:07:38 AM »
Hello Everyone,

Recently I visited website "www.wordofchrist.net and  read there a topic " Doctrines of the Beginning ", in which the author proves from the Bible that Adam could not have been created in the image of God.  The reason being that had he lost the  image of God (or marred) because of sin, then what guarantee is there for a believer, regenerated in the image of Christ, that he will not lose his salvation in the future.

God Bless

Dsouzaanthony

That's a laugh. He says no, but God says man was created in the image of God.

Romans 3:4 God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar;

So let's let the scriptures speak for themselves, rather than listen to man's private interpretations. Was man created in the image of God?

Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Genesis 9:6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

So we have our witness of scripture. Can man make this witness null and void?

dsouzaanthony

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 10:31:37 AM »
That's a laugh. He says no, but God says man was created in the image of God.

Romans 3:4 God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar;

So let's let the scriptures speak for themselves, rather than listen to man's private interpretations. Was man created in the image of God?

Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Genesis 9:6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

So we have our witness of scripture. Can man make this witness null and void?

I think you don't understand.  This earth was created without form and void and darkness was upon the face of the deep (Gen 1:2)

Then God commanded the Light to shine forth and that Light was separated from darkness.  If we compare scripture with scripture, God wants us to understand that He is refering to His salvation program.

2Co 4:6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

God relates that Light to be the gospel of His Son Jesus Christ.  Jesus Christ is the Light of the world.  So when God talks about creation of man after His image and likeness, He had salvation of His elect in mind (Gen 1:26-27).

Adam needed the gospel of salvation from the moment he was created, for flesh and blood cannot inherit the Kingdom of God. 

Read 1 Cor 15:42-50 very carefully.  First Adam was earthy and the  second Man is from heaven.  As we have borne the image of the earthy, so we will (elect remanant of mankind)
bear the image of the heavenly.  The first man was of the dust.

That's why we have creation account of Adam in Genesis Chapter 2 :7.

We see that Jesus Christ alone was the image of God, That's why He is the Son of God and the Bible says that He is pre-eminent.

Col 1:15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: 16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: 17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

It is only in salvation that man is created in the image of Christ who is the image of God.

Col 3:10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed (made new) in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

1Co 15:49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

2Co 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

2Co 3:18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

Ro 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

1Co 11:7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.

Jas 3:9 Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.

When scriptures refer to man as the image of God, they could only receive it from the time of their salvation and not before.  Man is accountable to God for his sins not because they are all created in His image but rather accountability starts at the cross:

Joh 15:22 If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloke for their sin.

Joh 12:31 Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.

That's why the Lamb of God was slain principally from the foundation of the world and not presumably from Adam's fall.

Rev 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

I again suggest that you read that article by visiting "www.wordofchrist.net"

God Bless

WrldTvlr

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 07:39:34 PM »
I again suggest that you read that article by visiting "www.wordofchrist.net[/size]"

Why would I, or any other Christian for that matter, want to waste our time (AGAIN) reading another paper by a "mere" man trying to discredit the Bible, and then quoting passage after passage in refutation, to no avail?

Speaking only for myself, I don't have the time, inclination, or patience for another of these, supposidly "educated ones who have additional revelation" as to what the Word of God says and means.  Quite frankly I have had my fill of these people.
"The Bible is the best of all books, for it is the word of God and teaches us the way to be happy in this world and in the next. Continue therefore to read it and to regulate your life by its precepts." --John Jay

stacia

• Not worthy
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 12:57:19 PM »
Dear all,
Its our duty to study the word of God comparing scripture with scripture.I can agree with anthony after comparing scripture with scripture and I dont think anythings wrong with the study.
Quote:1Co 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption..
Now can anyone please tell me was Adam not having an earthly body which was sowed natural having flesh and blood then How can he inherit the kingdom of God in his earthy body?
Quote:
1Co 15:47 The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.
 1Co 15:48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.
 1Co 15:49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

Ro 3:4 God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.

dsouzaanthony

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 11:15:56 PM »
Stacia,

You are the only one who made a positive statement.

It's not that I want to prove I am right.  I could be wrong.  The reason I put this topic in this thread is to learn from people by scrutiny of scripture.  But I was disappointed with Wrld Tvlr for he has not quoted any scripture to negate this teaching.

When did God plan to create man in His image?  Consider following scripture:

Ro 8:29 ∂ For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

If New Testament is the interpretation of the Old Testament, then why there are no statements as such Pre-fall/Post-fall of Adam.  In fact, to my knowledge (I stand to be corrected by scripture), Bible doesn't talk about a apparant demarcation line between pre-fall and post-fall of Adam. 

1 Cor 15:42-49
42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:

43 It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:

44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

47 The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.

48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.

49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

Although the above scripture talks about the resurrection of the elect remnant, it has great elemant of truth.  It teaches us that Adam was created in the image of earthy and not in the image of God as Romans 8 clearly teaches that God predestinated His elect to bear His image only at salvation.

Jas 3:9 Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.

The above verse cannot be talking about men in general but in the visible church. So also 1Cor 11:7.

Bible states that Jesus Christ is the image of God.  God always had Christ in mind when He created this world.  Men were to bear the image of Christ who is the image of God but only at the time of their salvation as God predestined them.  Threfore Gen 1: 26 & 27 cannot be speaking of Adam when he was created from the dust of the ground as in Gen 2:7.

I appreciate your comments.

God Bless

Dsouzaanthony

Baerchild

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 12:43:14 AM »

Bible states that Jesus Christ is the image of God.  God always had Christ in mind when He created this world.  Men were to bear the image of Christ who is the image of God but only at the time of their salvation as God predestined them.  Threfore Gen 1: 26 & 27 cannot be speaking of Adam when he was created from the dust of the ground as in Gen 2:7.

dsouzaanthony,

Perhaps you forgot that Adam was born without sin and he had a free will. But let us understand your position:  Are you saying that Adam was not created in the image of God?

Jim

dsouzaanthony

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 10:06:57 AM »
Baerchild,

Nice to have your response.

I agree with you that Adam sinned by his own will, for God is no author of sin.

But the question I want to ask you is do men have a free-will to choose salvation?  I guess, your answer would be ĎNOí.  Scripture makes very clear that NO ONE can be saved apart from the grace of God.  When was this grace ordained? Is it after the (apparent) fall of Adam or even before the world began?

2Tim 1:9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

Did Adam have the free-will to chose salvation in the Garden of Eden then or was it a testing program (Gen 2: 17) given to Adam to show that He was in need of Christ from the outset?  Let scripture define that:

Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

Though, above scripture talks about the Law of Moses, (I think) the principle is set here that any Law or Command of God in the Bible is given to bring us to Christ for no man can obey or keep Godís command perfectly apart from Christ.  There is no scripture (to my knowledge) which says that Adam obeyed God perfectly before he transgressed.  Rather obedience was prepared for Christ alone.

Mt 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Was it possible for Adam to be perfect apart from Christ?  Ask yourself.

I donít believe that Adam was created in the image of God, for scriptures reveal otherwise.  However, Adam was re-created (born-again) in the image of God only at the point of his salvation.

Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Ro 8:29  For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Jesus Christ is the Image of God and firstborn among many brethren (Christ is preeminent).  Who are the brethren in the above scripture?  The elect remnant of mankind.  When are they conformed to the image of the Son of God?  ONLY AT THE TIME OF THEIR SALVATION AS PREDESTINATED BY GOD. Adam could not have been the firstborn.

If Adam was created in Godís image, then he lost his image because of his transgression, and then his image is restored in Christ.   I think this is not what the scripture teaches. Another logic is that if Adam was created in Godís image and lost it when he sinned, what guarantee is that the elect will not lose his salvation after being re-created (my word) in the image of God?  Scripture does not make that a possibility.  Bible teaches us that Adam was created natural:

1Co 15:44 It is SOWN a natural body; it is RAISED a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.1Co 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.           1Co 15:46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

1 Co 42-49 teaches that Christ is Pre-eminent. Who has SOWN a natural body? God of course!  It is sown natural so that it will be raised spiritual. 

I think I have made my position clearly. Nonetheless, I stand corrected by the scripture. 

God Bless

DSOUZAANTHONY

Carol

• Christ is All!
    • Gospel of Grace Online
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 10:44:28 AM »
Very interesting study, Dsouzaanthony.  I have always had a problem with believing that man apart from Christ is in the image of God because of the verses you listed, so I just thought that maybe man lost God's image in the fall, but wasnt quite sure.  This verse is one that lead me to believe maybe Adam lost God's image also:

3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat [a son] in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth.  Genesis 5:3

But I think what you are saying has some merit and I find it very interesting.  Perhaps Adam WAS never in the image of God, until he was regenerated.

What do you think this verse means?

Genesis 9:6  Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man. 

Blessings,
Carol

Run, John, run! The Law commands!
But gives me neither feet nor hands.
Far grander news the Gospel brings:
It bids me fly and gives me wings!"
                                 Ė John Bunyan

http://members.cox.net/ckizzz/index

Sue Landow

• Gold Member
  • Distributing to the saints & given to Hospitality.
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 11:17:39 AM »
dsouzaanthony,

Perhaps you forgot that Adam was born without sin and he had a free will. But let us understand your position:  Are you saying that Adam was not created in the image of God?

Jim

Nice to have your response.

I donít believe that Adam was created in the image of God, for scriptures reveal otherwise.  However, Adam was re-created (born-again) in the image of God only at the point of his salvation.

Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Ro 8:29† For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Jesus Christ is the Image of God and firstborn among many brethren (Christ is preeminent).  Who are the brethren in the above scripture?  The elect remnant of mankind.  When are they conformed to the image of the Son of God?  ONLY AT THE TIME OF THEIR SALVATION AS PREDESTINATED BY GOD. Adam could not have been the firstborn.

If Adam was created in Godís image, then he lost his image because of his transgression, and then his image is restored in Christ.   I think this is not what the scripture teaches. Another logic is that if Adam was created in Godís image and lost it when he sinned, what guarantee is that the elect will not lose his salvation after being re-created (my word) in the image of God?  Scripture does not make that a possibility.  Bible teaches us that Adam was created natural:

1Co 15:44 It is SOWN a natural body; it is RAISED a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.1Co 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.† † † † † †1Co 15:46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

1 Co 42-49 teaches that Christ is Pre-eminent. Who has SOWN a natural body? God of course!  It is sown natural so that it will be raised spiritual. 

I think I have made my position clearly. Nonetheless, I stand corrected by the scripture. 

God Bless

DSOUZAANTHONY

You have basically made God into a liar in his saying quite plainly that man was created in the image of God. And he said it several times. You on the other hand deny God's word, saying you don't believe him.

Ge 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
 Ge 9:6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

God is talking about man, not creation of the universe. And he says in his image created he man. How you can twist that plain language around just because someone wrote an article declaring otherwise, I cannot understand. There is a point where man goes too far in trying to spiritualize everything away. And you've crossed over it with this theory I do believe. You ask for scripture, it has been presented, it disagrees with your theory, but then you say no, read this man's article as if it trumps scripture. I don't understand that type thinking.

"And again he said, Whereunto shall I liken the kingdom of God? It is like leaven, which a woman took and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened". Luke 13:20-21

dsouzaanthony

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2005, 11:50:34 AM »
Carol,

Since you have asked me, here are my thoughts:

Ge 9:6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

We see in the above scripture that although Adam has sinned, the image of God is not tainted.  In other words, Adam had never been created in the image of God.  Had he been created originally in the image of God, then why does Seth bear Adam's image in Gen 5:3

Ge 5:3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:

So God's salvation programme is intact despite Adam's sin.  That's what I think God means in Gen 9:6 quoted above.

It all compares well with the New Testament as I have presented in my earlier post.

There is one more scripture in Gen 5:1

This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;

Generation of Adam is already tainted with sin.  So who could God be talking about His creation in the image of God?  His elect of course!  God continues His salvation process.

In Gen 9:6, God puts the fear of death in man for murder (capital punishment as our present state laws), so that no one could stop Him from bringing forth the salvation of the elect. This is the method God uses to restrain sin in man for His salvation purpose.

However, I would ask everyone to compare scripture with scripture and let God guide us.

I'm not aware that I have deliberately twisted any scripture to suit my thinking.  This is what I think is taught in scripture, especially 1 Cor 15: 42-50 is quite clear.   I'm open for correction as I'm still a learner.

God Bless,

DSOUZAANTHONY

Baerchild

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 09:33:59 PM »

dsouzaanthony,

Where do you come up with this stuff? Can you backup either of those opinions with Scripture?

Let me add to your confusion:  The Free Will which Adam had, was not The Will of God...and if it is not of God...?

Jim

dsouzaanthony

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2005, 02:09:27 AM »
Baerchild,

I have backed-up my thoughts by several scriptures. If Adam was created in the image of God then the thought is not harmonious with 1Cor 15:46:

1Co 15:46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

Image of God is spiritual. Adam's body of flesh and blood could not inherit the Kingdom of God.

1Co 15:47 The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven. 48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly

1 Cor 15: 44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body.

Joh 3:31 He that cometh from above is above all: he that is of the earth is earthly, and speaketh of the earth: he that cometh from heaven is above all.

It's only at salvation that man is regenerated to bear the image of God.

2Pe 1:4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

I think I'm not confused, but you have failed to understand my earlier posts.

God Bless

judykanova

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2005, 03:28:11 AM »
Dsouzaanthony.

It seems to me that this article and your study of Scripture thus far, have taken some truths and attempted to use them to refute other truths.  Instead, I think we need to try and find harmony with the clear, unequivocal statement that God created man in His image.

I have some thoughts regarding this.  We could ask ourselves... in what way does man differ from all others creatures that God made?  The answer is that man was created with a soul or spirit essense that is eternal in nature.  That's why, unlike other creatures, man will be either eternally damned to hell, or live eternally with Christ in the new heaven and new earth.  It is also why men know, deep inside their souls (albeit some try to hide the fact), that there is a Creator, whose wonderous works are clearly seen in all of nature.

Gen 2:7  And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Gen 6:3 †And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh:...

Mat 25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

So, we could say that all mankind since Adam is characterized with an eternal spiritual/soul essense, and a fleshly nature.  I believe the difference between Adam before the fall is that his spiritual nature dominated his flesh.  But then, with the fall, he succombed to his flesh.  

Rom 1:19 -23
19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
20  For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
21  Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
22  Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
23  And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

God could very well be describing Adam and the reason for his fall here.  Yet,  as noted in the 1Co 15:45 passage that you quoted, it is ONLY by the QUICKENING of our spirit[/b] by God's Spirit, that any man (Adam onward) becomes saved.  

1Co 15:45
45  And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

2Co 1:22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.

Rom 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

1Co 6:11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Moreover, we live in hope that, on the last day, our bodies will also be changed into 'incorruptible' bodies that reflect a new world unlike this earth which will be destroyed.

This just scratches the surface, and may or may not be the answer.  But it reflects my attempt to reconcile -- to find harmony between seemingly contradictory passages of Scripture.   This is the only way we will come to truth; we cannot negate any passage of Scripture in favor of another.

I hope this helps some.

judy
'For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.'   Ps 119:89

Pilgrim

• Reformed and Reforming
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2005, 03:51:01 AM »
I have backed-up my thoughts by several scriptures. If Adam was created in the image of God then the thought is not harmonious with 1Cor 15:46:

1Co 15:46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

I agree with what sue and judy have stated here. You are taking one scripture and attempting to contradict another scripture with it. This is not the way to come to sound conclusions about doctrine. If God says man was created in the image of God, then man was created in the image of God. When you say No he wasn't, you are contradicting God. It's unfortunate that you have bought into this man's theory, but you have to look at the whole context.

Genesis 1:26  And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
 27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
 28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

God is talking about man, and he created him in his own image. Man sinned and fell and was separted from God. That is why he was thrown out of the garden of eden. He was no longer in the image of God and could not remain with God who dwelled there.

As far as the kingdom of heaven and flesh, that is a whole different issue. In the image of God doesn't mean that man was spiritual to be able to enter the Kingdom. It means that man was perfect, as God is. He had no sin.

"And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins." -Matthew 1:21

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]