[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Was Adam and Eve Saved?  (Read 6656 times)

Bunyan

• Luke 8:24
Re: Was Adam and Eve Saved?
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2013, 04:45:20 PM »

I don't understand how you all seem to think that Eve received the promise? I don't see any connection  ???

I would go so far as to say both Adam and Eve received the promise that a Savior would come. God was explaining this to both of them, not just one. And then they received their ineffective fig-leaf coverings replaced by God.

"The law says, 'do this,' and it is never done. Grace
says, 'believe in this,' and everything is already done
."
- Martin Luther

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2013, 07:27:04 AM »
True, the woman is as intimately connected with the preceding promise of the seed, as she is to the prophesied curse. In the passage in question, we can see that Eve had faith in the promise of God that her seed would reverse the curse of sin, which is death. Thus she is the mother of all living, specifically because of her seed. He is the one that is "from her" who would being that life. She is the mother of all living in Christ. To me, that shows she was saved in faith of the promise also.

Anne

• Grow With God
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2013, 08:31:46 AM »
Hey guys,
  If Adam is the type and Christ the Antitype, does that make Eve a type, and Mary an Antitype? Is Eve as the Mother of all living, foreshadowing Mary who very literally brings forth the seed? It is an interesting thought.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2013, 09:14:09 AM »
Hey guys,
  If Adam is the type and Christ the Antitype, does that make Eve a type, and Mary an Antitype? Is Eve as the Mother of all living, foreshadowing Mary who very literally brings forth the seed? It is an interesting thought.

I can see your logic. Through the generative action of Holy Spirit, Mary was the woman who actually gave birth to the promised Christ. Scriptures calls him the second Adam that would redeem man from sin and through the woman fulfill the promise made to Adam and Eve. So I think we could say that spiritually speaking, Mary was the second Eve. Of course that's not a Biblical phrase, but it may very well be an accurate one.

Dan

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2013, 10:03:54 AM »
Sorry Reformer, I just don't see how any of this relates. You are making a giant leap from a promise to Eve to her salvation.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2013, 01:58:31 AM »
Sorry Reformer, I just don't see how any of this relates. You are making a giant leap from a promise to Eve to her salvation.

Yes it does relate. It's all interrelative. God gave Adam to be head of the woman, a sign of Christ's rule over the Church. And we have to read it "in context" of that mystery (Ephesians 5:31-33) of the one flesh man/woman relationship of Christ and the Church / the Man and the Woman One Flesh Promise Covenant.

Ge 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Eve was specifically the woman to whom the Covenant of Grace was originally promised (Gen. 3:15). And that would imply salvation, so if she was saved, then she repented. Yes Repented. We don't need to actually read "Adam and Eve repented" to know they repented "if" they were saved. And this verse indicates at least Eve was. Taken with Adam being appointed her head and having rule over her. And the relationship looking towards Christ and His Church. Not to mention the covering God provided for both and the production of Godly seed in another brother, I don't see how we could come to any other conclusion based upon all the scriptures. We can say we don't really know for sure, but we cannot say they weren't saved. There is no biblical evidence for such a conclusion and lots of evidence against it.

David Knoles

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2013, 06:58:25 AM »
You guys say there is no need for scripture to say Adam and Eve repented, I would disagree. How else are we to know? Just guess?

Robert Powell

• "fruit of the righteous, a tree of Life" Pr 11:30
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2013, 08:08:52 AM »
You guys say there is no need for scripture to say Adam and Eve repented, I would disagree. How else are we to know? Just guess?

You can say that about anything. lots of things aren't specifically stated, but are true.

Its already been stated in this thread, though there is no direct quote specifically stating "Adam repented and was saved," we don't really need such a quote. Because the Bible often illuminates things without direct statements. God doesn't specifically state that we shouldn't have 20 wives, but you believe that to be inferred by scripture, don't you? God doesn't specifically say you should not kill animals just for the sake of killing them, but you believe that this is inferred by scripture, don't you? It is the same with searching out whom God gives us evidence was saved. Was King Saul saved? You'll never know unless you read the scriptures carefully, completely, and glean the truth concerning it in that discerning manner.

Likewise, we can surely infer from Genesis chapter 4 of how Adam and Eve bring up Godly children, that they themselves must have been led of God to do so. Also by Eve confessing or witnessing that God had appointed her another son in place of Abel. That shows she understood that this baby was a blessing from God by the spirit of God. And God also notes that this is when people began to call upon the name of the Lord. God was obviously working in Adam and Eve to bring these children into the world to call upon the Lord, implying they also called upon the name of the Lord.

Genesis 4:25-26
" And Adam knew his wife again; and she bare a son, and called his name Seth: For God, said she, hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel, whom Cain slew. And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enos: then began men to call upon the name of the LORD".

God appointed unto her Seth, who is listed as one of the Patriarchs of God in Genesis chapter 5. I agree with others that we can infer from all these combined passages, and more, that they were saved. And if they were saved, then we know they would have had to repented. Because repentance is part of the salvation process. No one is saved without spiritual repentance. Yes?

Rich Aikers

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2013, 10:46:43 AM »

By Bill Baldwin

Studies in Genesis

Adam names his wife

Ironically, Adam's first act of faith is to speak a word in contrast to the curse God has just pronounced. God says he will die, returning to the dust; and Adam immediately names his wife Eve because she will be the mother of all living. Yet this is no fist-shaking defiance, as of one who swears he'll beat this lousy curse. Rather, it is a statement that he caught the promise buried in that curse - the Seed of the woman shall triumph. Thus, renaming his wife, he confesses his faith; and the Lord accounts it to him as righteousness.

By this renaming, he confesses as well that he is no longer a covenant head capable of leading his posterity into Life. He himself trusts in another, and so must his posterity. Adam's purpose - to be the bringer of life - is redeemed. He lost that purpose in the Fall, but now it is filtered through God's grace and against all hope restored. Adam can no longer lead us into life, but still he is given the privilege of pointing the way. This woman-Seed, who will crush the Serpent's head - he is the source of Adam's hope. And so must he be of ours. Adam failed to defeat the serpent. Now he teaches us what it means to trust in the One who will succeed. Face with cursed labor and certain death, he cries out, "Yet there is One who's labor shall not be in vain. The woman shall bear Him. And all who trust in Him, though they die, yet shall they live."

And the woman, whose childbearing was cursed, will by childbearing save the world. The woman who heeded the serpent will bear a Son who will crush him forever. In great pain and labor she will bring him forth, but she ... will ... bring ... him ... forth.

What mercy! What grace! What an unexpected, undeserved, and unrepayable display of God's infinite kindness. God has come in curse and in the middle of the curse he has smuggled in blessing. And the very agents of that Fall have become the agents by whom his blessing shall spread. May he be praised, honored, and adored forever.

Come, you who have learned from Adam how to sin. Learn from him how to believe. Learn from him to stare the curse and death itself in the face and cry out that this is not the final word. Jesus, your righteousness, has risen from the dead. In him the miseries of this life are vanquished. In him death itself has been rebuked and conquered. Do not believe what your eyes tell you - that labor is futility and all ways end in death. Believe what Adam tells you when he says this woman-Seed will restore it all and more! The Seed has come! Let no one be ashamed who trusts in Him. Let no one be ashamed to suffer the ravages of the curse and the persecution of the world and the stingless assault of death itself. In Him is life and joy and fruitfulness and peace.

Come, you mothers and mothers-to-be, bear your children without fear. Eve bore her children into a world of sin and death. Yet she bore them in hope that through her the Seed would come who would bring righteousness and life. The Seed has come. You and your children will be saved by that childbearing, as Paul says. You do not fear to bring a child into this world as though you bear it into a world of death. You bear the child to life. You bear your children because the Lord seeks a godly offspring and counts your children holy to himself. You bear them that they may hope in that Seed, that they may fill a new heavens and a new earth where righteousness dwells. And so they shall, though you lose them in the womb.

Come, you Fathers, who have passed this Fall and curse on to your children. Because of you, they are sinners. Because of you they suffer and will die. And you cannot by your works set before them an example of the perfection God accepts. The perfection God rewards with eternal life. Yet, like Adam who passed sin and curse to you, you can point to the Seed, to Jesus the Son of God. Your children cannot trust in you; you cannot vouch for them in the terrible Day of God's wrath. But Christ can. Whatever you do, teach your children to trust in Christ. Tell them about him. Point them to him. And let nothing turn you aside from him lest your children be turned aside as well.

Come you barren who cannot bear or have never borne. The One who above all others must be born, he has been born. And he has brought Life. He will wipe away your tears and take away the reproach of the curse and make the barren woman the mother of thousands.

God knows the end from the beginning. And here, at the beginning, he has told us the end. So we grieve over the Fall and the curse, over sin and over death. But we do not grieve as those who have no hope. Christ has already defeated the serpent. At a different tree of judgment he has paid the dreadful curse for our souls. And he has been raised again, the judge of all the earth. The serpent and all the serpent seed will at last be judged. That last great and terrible day of the Lord is coming and the serpent's head will be crushed. Joy shall be restored and sorrow and mourning shall flee away. And death itself shall die.

Be sobered by this curse lest you trust in yourself. But do not be overwhelmed. Trust in Christ, the Seed of the woman, and rejoice in what he has done and in what he is coming to do.

Halle

• "Because He Lives"
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2013, 06:44:53 PM »

Genesis 4:1 And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD.

Isn't the very fact that she confessed that the child that she received was "gotten from the Lord" a strong implication of her dependence upon the Lord and a witness that she was probably a saved woman? If not definite, it is pretty close.

Apostolic

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2013, 08:15:00 AM »
I don't know if you all know this or not, but the pseudepigrapha books specifically say that Adam repented.

Dan

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2013, 04:00:34 PM »

We know. But that doesn't count because it is not the bible.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2013, 11:48:38 AM »

We know. But that doesn't count because it is not the bible.

For one I have to agree with Dan. Those books don't count anymore than the books of Josephus count as evidence for the abomination of Desolation in 70 AD. They are not part of the inerrant Bible and thus cannot be used as any witness to truth of the salvation of Adam or Eve.

Dan

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2013, 07:02:49 PM »
And also just because Adam was a type of Christ doesn't mean he was a child born of Christ. It is written

1Co 15:22 For as in Adam all die,

One could say he was a type of death.

Frank Mortimer

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2013, 09:03:51 PM »
And also just because Adam was a type of Christ doesn't mean he was a child born of Christ.

Why are you so intent of proving that Adam and Eve were not saved or children of faith when Genesis is really all about the promise of the seed? Especially when their clear professions of the Lord's promise (Gen. 3:20, 4:1) would seem to indicate that they were saved. And they produced Covenant children (Abel & Seth for starters), which is nothing to sneeze at concerning themselves as covenant parents.

Acts 2:39
 "For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call."

It's the Covenant relationship where when God takes believing parents into covenant with himself, he takes also their children or seed into covenant also. The seed comes through the believing line.  And this also shows that Baptism, which is the outward seal of the covenant, should be given to children also. Contrary to what Baptists and others teach.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]