[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Is Josephus Reliable  (Read 8040 times)

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
Re: Is Josephus Reliable
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2019, 06:06:02 AM »
Because I read so much from "Reformed" sites that depend upon the writings of Josephus to make their claims about prophecy (like 70 AD)

To be honest, they do. People might get the impression from reading this thread that most Reformed Christians don't think Josephus is reliable. That would not be an honest representation. I read Reformed writings as a rule and I can tell you that for the most part they quote Josephus liberally in their texts to support many of the things they say. You're not going to quote someone who you think is unreliable, and so obviously they do think him to be a worthy witness. This despite the fact that in most cases he wasn't there to be a witness in the first place. He's usually repeating what someone told him. In other words, hearsay.  Last I checked, hearsay is not a reliable witness.

And so although many Reformed authors think Josephus reliable enough to quote and use as a reference, I would never encourage any faithful Christian to rely on his, or any other secular testimony as proof for anything in scripture. Scripture does not require proof from the world.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]