[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: The Tsunami & Why are There so few Christians in Japan  (Read 22141 times)

Sojourner

• I'm a llama!
Re: The Tsunami & Why are There so few Christians in Japan
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2015, 03:25:55 PM »
There is a preacher saying that the earthquake in Nepal India yesterday that killed thousands was God's judgment upon them for their idol worship and false gospel and worship. Do any of you believe that this is true? Things like this did seem to take place in the Old Testament as judgments.

God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. If he brought judgment on the world that then was because of sin, He will do the same to this world we live in.  Don't be fooled by liberal rhetoric claiming God doesn't do that anymore. 9-11 should have been a wake-up call for this country that life is fragile, temporary and promised to no one, so they should make their peace with God. But it wasn't.  :'(

Rich Aikers

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2015, 12:08:08 PM »
God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. If he brought judgment on the world that then was because of sin, He will do the same to this world we live in.  Don't be fooled by liberal rhetoric claiming God doesn't do that anymore. 9-11 should have been a wake-up call for this country that life is fragile, temporary and promised to no one, so they should make their peace with God. But it wasn't.  :'(

)amen(  )GoodPopst(  )iagree(

But I think we are in the minority. I also think these worldly calamities are a wake up call. Since God is Sovereign, God did it. And He did it for a reason. The Tsunami, 9-11, the earthquakes in Nepal, whatever. Not because these were greater sinners than anyone else, but that people would wake up and smell the roses. This world is temporal. Where will you be afterward.

NeutralZone

• The 66 books of the Bible are my only authority.
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2015, 07:40:01 PM »
I just heard Franklin Graham try to answer the question....why did god let the tsnunami happen, doesnt he love everyone. Franklin underhandedly blamed it on the devil, not directly. Graham can never argue his way out of a corner with Larry King with any good doctrin.

God made the tnunami happen. God causes all things. in isiah 45 i think it says that God causes calamity.  God is love, just,,and soveriren, and we dont know why really ever.

jsw:

That's incorrect.  There are no scriptures in the book of Isaiah that supports your claim that God "made" the tsunami happen.  In fact, you contradicted yourself when you ended your opening post by saying: "God is love, just."  You know why?  Because the God of the Bible who epitomizes love and justice does not "make" bad things happen to the innocent.  If you had said "God allowed the tsunami to happen," then you would be correct.

NeutralZone
". . . be swift about hearing, slow about speaking, slow about wrath. . . . " (James 1:19-20)

Mila Ostrovsky

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2015, 07:58:19 PM »
Perhaps, but who said the tsunami was a bad thing? Perhaps God meant it for good since Japan is one of the most unchristian states in the world. Food for thought.

NeutralZone

« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2015, 08:16:14 PM »
why did god let the tsunami happen, doesn’t he love everyone.

Who can we blame for the tsunami?  The waves?  The ocean floor?  The gravitational pull of the moon? A destabilized earth that is cursed by God? The residual effects of the great flood?

Do we blame the cursed people who caused the world to be cursed? The man Adam who brought the curse upon all mankind? Or each and every person living who would have done exactly as Adam did?

I will not blame God for testing Adam or Satan for failing to remain faithful. Adam, you, or me, we all together would have failed the test too. Therefore, we caused God's perfect creation to be cursed. We caused the earth to become what it is: A place of hardship, suffering, and death.  This tsunami is a small reminder of the blame we each share as children of Adam. A larger overpowering reminder will be the Lake of Fire on Judgment Day.

john:

You are right on point about who is actually responsible for the condition of our planet.  Humans insist on "progress," and so they proceed to ruin the environment with pesticides, oil spills, cutting down too many trees, etc.  Then they turn around and blame Almighty God for the consequences of their own wicked behavior.  And what are some of those consequences?  global warming, which causes melting of the ice caps, which, in turn, produces tsunamis. 

Global warming is directly linked to deadly tsunamis.  It is because of global warming, in our time, that the ice caps are melting.  In turn, this causes the sea level to rise, swallowing up various Pacific islands and making more water available in the ocean after an earthquake.  We are talking man-made disasters!

The connection with global warming and tsunamis in our time is confirmed by numerous sources.  Below is one such source:

Climate Change And Tsunamis: Ice Melt May Cause Underwater Avalanches, Research Shows

From Charles Q. Choi, OurAmazingPlanet Contributor:

If melting ice caps trigger rapid sea level rise, the strain that the edges of continents could experience might set off underwater landslides, new research suggests.

Submarine landslides happen on every continental margin, the underwater parts of continental plates bordering oceanic plates. These underwater avalanches, which can happen when underwater slopes get hit by earthquakes or otherwise have too much weight loaded onto them, can generate dangerous tsunamis.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/16/climate-change-tsunamis_n_3769200.html

And as is typical with Adam's seed, where nothing is new under the sun, the fallen human race looks around to assign blame and points the finger at Satan or God, rather than see who really is to blame.

Gen 3:12  And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat. [Blaming God]

Gen 3:13  And the LORD God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat. [Blaming Satan]

Blame Adam, and then go look in the mirror.

john

I couldn't have said it better myself.

NeutralZone
". . . be swift about hearing, slow about speaking, slow about wrath. . . . " (James 1:19-20)

NeutralZone

« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2015, 08:20:59 PM »
Hi,

It always bothers me when I see people answering questions like this one, and in a desire to "protect God's righteousness", they diminish His sovereignty.

Michael

Especially preachers who come on after these type disasters and say God had nothing to do with it. As if God is not sovereign, just watching nature and waiting to see what we do in the world.  That's what bothers me. Because it puts forth the teaching that Gpod is not in control, he's just looking on.

Did God Cause the Tsunamis, Earthquakes and Floods?

Isaiah 45:7 – I form light and create darkness, I make well-being and create calamity, I am the LORD, who does all these things.
Deuteronomy 32:39 – “‘See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god beside me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand. ”

Revelation 16:7 And I heard the altar saying, “Yes, Lord God the Almighty, true and just are your judgments!” 8 The fourth angel poured out his bowl on the sun, and it was allowed to scorch people with fire. 9 They were scorched by the fierce heat, and they cursed the name of God who had power over these plagues. They did not repent and give him glory.

Daniel 4:35 – all the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing, and he does according to his will among the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of the earth; and none can stay his hand or say to him, “What have you done?”

Romans 9:20 – But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, “Why have you made me like this?”

Revelation 1:8 – “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.”

Melanie:

What point are you attempting to make with the above verses?  Do explain.

NeutralZone

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2015, 05:33:17 AM »
Especially preachers who come on after these type disasters and say God had nothing to do with it. As if God is not sovereign, just watching nature and waiting to see what we do in the world.  That's what bothers me. Because it puts forth the teaching that Gpod is not in control, he's just looking on.

Did God Cause the Tsunamis, Earthquakes and Floods?

Isaiah 45:7 – I form light and create darkness, I make well-being and create calamity, I am the LORD, who does all these things.
Deuteronomy 32:39 – “‘See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god beside me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand. ”

Revelation 16:7 And I heard the altar saying, “Yes, Lord God the Almighty, true and just are your judgments!” 8 The fourth angel poured out his bowl on the sun, and it was allowed to scorch people with fire. 9 They were scorched by the fierce heat, and they cursed the name of God who had power over these plagues. They did not repent and give him glory.

Daniel 4:35 – all the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing, and he does according to his will among the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of the earth; and none can stay his hand or say to him, “What have you done?”

Romans 9:20 – But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, “Why have you made me like this?”

Revelation 1:8 – “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.”

Melanie:

What point are you attempting to make with the above verses?  Do explain.

NeutralZone

What's to explain? It's self evident, isn't it? God is Sovereign. Is He not? Do you think that one leaf falls from a tree without His say so? One baby die without His say so? One person drown in a Tsunami without His say so? No one is born nor dies unless God has ordained it by His sovereign good will.

Lu 12:24 Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them: how much more are ye better than the fowls?

Mt 6:25  Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
 26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

Lu 12:6 Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings, and not one of them is forgotten before God?
 7 But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows.

If God shows His sovereignty over birds, is He not that much more sovereign over mankind that not one of them is forgotten? God is infinite so that the very hairs of our head are numbered that He has full control over which are grey, which fall out and how many there are. God is illustrating in this passage His full control. He has sovereignty over who lives and dies. If it were God's will that no one die in the Tsunami He ordained in Japan, believe me No One Would Have Died! All the rumblings of the earth are under His full control so that if it is His will, there are no earthquakes, floods or tornadoes.

Do not think under any circumstances that God is idle just watching the world spin out of control. He is in control. Even the sin of the world He allows to His glory. That's sovereignty.

Rich Aikers

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2015, 09:21:01 AM »

Do not think under any circumstances that God is idle just watching the world spin out of control. He is in control. Even the sin of the world He allows to His glory. That's sovereignty.

:iagree: YUP!

Chloe

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2015, 07:25:24 AM »
I just finished watching a program called "Christmas in Tokyo" on the American TV Japanese station. Why do the Japanese celebrate Christmas if they don't believe in Christ?

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2015, 07:53:54 AM »
I just finished watching a program called "Christmas in Tokyo" on the American TV Japanese station. Why do the Japanese celebrate Christmas if they don't believe in Christ?

The same way Americans celebrate Christmas and don't believe in Christ. No mystery there! It's just a holiday for them, a time to exchange presents, eat and drink and decorate their house. Christ has been long ago taken out of the celebration of his birth.

NoMass

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2016, 10:29:55 AM »
Why are there so few Christians in Japan?

Look it up. There are eight million deities in Japan. 8 million! Does that answer your question? Everything (according to them) from mountains to trees to rice has a spirit, and to claim one Spirit being is like sacrilege to them. That's their tradition and they cling to tradition like cellophane wrap clings to itself. You want to be a missionary, go to China.

James Heckman

« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2016, 10:34:39 PM »
Why are there so few Christians in Japan?

Look it up. There are eight million deities in Japan. 8 million! Does that answer your question? Everything (according to them) from mountains to trees to rice has a spirit, and to claim one Spirit being is like sacrilege to them. That's their tradition and they cling to tradition like cellophane wrap clings to itself. You want to be a missionary, go to China.

)laugh( L O L

That's just wrong! ;)

Soldier

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2016, 07:53:00 PM »
I was in Japan for a while and found that Japan is really a beautiful but strange country. For example, they don't really show a lot of affection, and Japanese men and women hardly ever kiss at all. And never in public (not that this is a bad thing). I was shocked to learn that most (like almost all) Japanese married couples only kiss about once a month and many much longer. I'm like, "how is that even possible?" And the wives put their husbands on an allowance system called okozukai  (I think).  The man has no say in it. And they worship cats as great spirits, or at least most do. I don't really find it any more strange that they have an aversion to Christianity or any other single god religion for that matter. I do wonder why in the old days missionaries didn't really try that hard to evangelize in Japan.  Godly providence or Christian neglect? Or maybe both.

Chloe

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2016, 06:03:49 AM »
I was in Japan for a while and found that Japan is really a beautiful but strange country. For example, they don't really show a lot of affection, and Japanese men and women hardly ever kiss at all. And never in public (not that this is a bad thing). I was shocked to learn that most (like almost all) Japanese married couples only kiss about once a month and many much longer. I'm like, "how is that even possible?"

I actually saw a program on this same subject on the Japanese American TV Network (NHK) and I haven't closed my mouth since :)

I guess it all depends on how you were raised or brought up in your family. I think that determines what we will think is strange or unnatural. Because the program demonstrated that to them, this is normal behavior.  What I found interesting is that American men who had married Japanese wives, had to conform to this practice, rather than the other way around. Some things can't be explained pother than it's custom and institution. Or we can look at it this way. They probably think it strange that the rest of the world's husbands and wives kiss every time they are affectionate or say goodbye, or when they come home from work, etc.

NoMass

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2016, 09:30:32 PM »
News alert, and yet another deadly earthquake in Japan today. Still think it's all coincidence? Still think eight million deities in Japan doesn't move God? I thought you guys preach that God is sovereign? If he is, then he caused it didn't he? Or am I wrong?

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]