[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Are There Guardian Angels?  (Read 2034 times)

Sandy

• Gold Member
  • I Stand Coram Deo
Are There Guardian Angels?
« on: December 11, 2004, 10:36:33 AM »
There are many who will argue that the elect have angels from God watching over them.  They will even tell us that angels on rare occasion make visible appearances to some today.  When discussing this topic someone will always share a story of how some loved one, or some missionary was for some reason visited, and given aid in a crisis by an angel sent from God.  What says Scripture?  What is the purpose or ministry of angels since the completion of the Bible?  Does Scripture appear to teach that the ministry of angels is different from the Old Testament to the New? 

Your biblical answers to these and many other questions regarding these ministering spirits would be very much appreciated.  Looking forward to help from Scripture minus emotionalism.

Sandy 

Dave Taylor

• I'm a llama!
Re: Are There Guardian Angels?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2004, 08:51:15 AM »
There are no scriptures to share about 'guardian angels' Sandy.

That is a extra-biblical myth that has been applied to angels from society; not from the Bible.

Hebrews teaches that Angels are ministering spirits, sent forth to minister to (the elect) who are the heirs of salvation.

Therefore, since salvation continues; their ministry continues and has not ceased.

Hebrews 1:13-14
"But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool? Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation? "

Similarly, Hebrews tells us that we should always continue in brotherly love; for we may unknowingly enterain angels.

Hebrews 13:1-2
"Let brotherly love continue. Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares."

That's about the most you'll get about the roll of angels today, Sandy; and you won't find anything Biblically about the 'guardian angel' myth.

judykanova

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2004, 01:58:41 PM »
Sandy,

I have little to add to Dave's post.  Just the reminder that the word 'angel' actually means 'messenger', and the context dictates how we should interpret it -- as an actual angel, a human messenger, or Christ the Chief Messenger.

Therefore, taking one of the Scriptures Dave provided...

"Let brotherly love continue. Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares."

Based upon what Bible teaches as a whole, and given that fact that angels are spirit beings, I believe this verse is talking about human messengers who come 'to will and do' according to God's purposes.

As Dave noted, there is no biblical validation of the way angels have been portrayed (and marketed) in our society --  all from the vain imaginations of men.

judy

'For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.'   Ps 119:89

Sandy

• Gold Member
  • I Stand Coram Deo
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2004, 03:23:53 PM »
Hi Dave & Judy,

I agree that guardian angels does not appear to be a biblical doctrine.  I am trying to show the various myths surrounding angels.  This has become a difficult task because our church has been viewing a video series about Angels and Demons.  I won't say who the author of the series is, but only that the series is steeped in tradition, and teachings of man, and unfortunately the author of this series is a highly respected theologian of the reformed doctrines of sovereign grace.

Scripture tells us that Michael is none other than Christ.  But what about Gabriel?  Do you have any verses that may indicate that Gabriel too may be a christophany, or a picture of the Holy Spirit?  I know that angel can (I believe even should) be translated messenger.  Since a messenger can be either human being or spirit being, the context would determine which.  As was pointed out Heb. 13:1-2 should be translated human because we never know when we might be showing hospitality and the goodness of God to those who are the elect of God, but have not yet come to saving grace.  Tony Warren has an excellent article on these particular verses. 

I want to show that any apparent, supernatural angelic visit coming after the last of the apostles, or the completion of the Bible can only be from Satan and his demonic forces.  I would like to prove that God no longer brings messages (private or otherwise) through angel visitation.  Are there any Scripture verses that may show that angels were/are used to keep someone from being physically destroyed after the Bible was complete?  Or just to take someone out of harms way? 

Dave, I have a pretty early King James translation which translates Heb. 1:13-14:  Now when has He declared to any of the messengers "Be sitting at My right hand till I should be placing Thine enemies for a footstool for Thy feet"?  Are they not all ministering spirits commissioned for service because of those who are about to be enjoyng the allotment of salvation? 

This translation (I believe) better proves that angels do appear to have some role in watching over, or keeping safe those who will become saved.  But what about after salvation, is there still a need for angels ministering to those who are indwelt by the Holy Spirit of God?

This is such a touchy feely doctrine, and emotions run high when trying to dispute unbiblical doctrines concerning these messengers sent from God.  Have any of you dealt with this issue before, and do you have logical reasoning as well as scripture proof to refute emotionalism?  Thanks for any help you might have, it is greatly appreciated.

Sandy       

Dave Taylor

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 11:48:20 AM »
Sandy,
I would agree with you, but word it a little differently, in regards to Michael and Christ.

After studying all of the biblical references to both 'Michael' and 'Archangel'; I would say that 'Michael' is a Christophany; or another OT title of the pre-incarnate Christ.

I don't find any evidence that 'Michael' is one of the heavenly host created beings commonly called 'angels'.

As for Gabriel; I believe scripture teaches us sufficiently that Gabriel cannot be a Christophany; and is likely a heavenly host created angelic being.

In Daniel, the King of Persia (probably a 'Satan-ophany' so to speak) is found detaining Gabriel, and preventing Gabriel from delivering a message to Daniel.
The King of Persia is able to detain Gabriel UNTIL we find Michael showing up, and showing his power over the King of Persia, and dispatching Gabriel to be on about his way to deliver his message to Daniel.

Again, Christ, pre-incarnate deity in an OT Christophany appearing under then title 'Michael' (One who is like God) has no problem dispatching and overpowering the King of Persia (Satan) who is more powerful than Gabriel (a created angelic heavenly host)

cookie123

• Iam here to learn and to share
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 04:10:41 PM »
 ???

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • 🌴"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. -Psalm 52:8"
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 09:26:35 AM »
Sandy,

I have little to add to Dave's post.  Just the reminder that the word 'angel' actually means 'messenger', and the context dictates how we should interpret it -- as an actual angel, a human messenger, or Christ the Chief Messenger.

Therefore, taking one of the Scriptures Dave provided...

Based upon what Bible teaches as a whole, and given that fact that angels are spirit beings, I believe this verse is talking about human messengers who come 'to will and do' according to God's purposes.

As Dave noted, there is no biblical validation of the way angels have been portrayed (and marketed) in our society --  all from the vain imaginations of men.

judy

)iagree(  I've thought about and meditated upon this a long time and I think what they said has merit.

"Praying us with much intreaty that we would receive the gift, and take upon us the fellowship of the ministering to the saints. 2 Corinthians 8:4"

Note also that he calls this ministering "a gift," which most in our day would call, or at least look upon, as a burden.  I agree with Judy on this and believe that entertain angels refers to other believers unaware. I think believers filled with the spirit of God are the ministering spirits. The messengers of God that we are to be careful to always give place to, because we often don't know who they are.

Jon Thomas

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 07:56:08 AM »
So You're saying believers are ministering spirits? I don't know about that. Are believers spirits?

Reformed Baptist

• Reformed Baptists
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 03:58:43 AM »

Yes, the Bible calls us spirits.

Pearson

• Conformed by the Blood
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 06:59:21 AM »
Are believers spirits?

[Soapbox mode on]

I John 4:1
"Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world."

Every spirit is within a person, and we are only to believe spirits/persons that come with the truth, not persons with lies that masquerade as righteousness or truth. I feel this warning is so needed in our day when there is such delusion going on that is masquerading as righteousness. Yes, righteous prophets are the spirits we are to believe.

Just My two cents

[Soapbox mode off]

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2018, 05:22:36 AM »

Guardian Messengers are all around us. You just have to know the ministering spirits when you hear them.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]