[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Is Watching Television A Sin?  (Read 18576 times)

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
Re: Is Watching Television A Sin?
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2017, 06:57:29 AM »
>>>
Wouldn't the world have been a better place without the invention of Television?

:thinker: That's a very good question. I'm leaning toward saying yes. It's debatable though.
<<<

That IS a very good question, but since we have Television across the world, it was ordained to be so. As a goad, as a trial, as a judgment--God knows.

>>>
There is very little good come from it as compared to the evil..
<<<

:iagree: At least not in recent history. In my view, it's hard for conscientious Christians to honestly argue that Television is not a image (likeness / representation) of the beast, or more accurately put, "a reflection" of the spirit of antichrist, spirit of Satan or spirit of disobedience. For if you can sit in front of it for any length of time and conclude it is a God glorifying medium, you are kidding (Lying to) yourself. For whatsoever is not of faith is sin (Romans 14:23). For many things that are lawful are not expedient, and Television today is one of them.

Philippians 4:8
  • "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
  • Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you."

I have to say I agree with Halle that most of us in this forum recognize the subtle and inconspicuous way that Television portrays sin or wickedness as some form or caring, modernism, love, progressive thinking, justice, goodness, or NEW understanding of the ancient Histories, and Hebrew or Greek languages or idioms. A likeness of the Beast? Most definitelty. If it doesn't actually come from the Bible, it's not the word of God it is subjection and assumptions. And this is the primary teaching methodology of Television. i.e., "this is what we think and we are experts on what is just and righteous, not God." Just like those in the church who have mimiced them, those outside the church make themselves a god to be worshiped by their ego.

Ezekiel 22:28
  • "And her prophets have daubed them with untempered morter, seeing vanity, and divining lies unto them, saying, Thus saith the Lord GOD, when the LORD hath not spoken."

Prophets and non prophets alike have used Television to make the Lord into a Liar and place themselves upon His throne as the final arbiter of truth. Though I have said many times that a Television is an inanimate object, and as such unlikely in and of itself to be wicked--I cannot deny that today it is almost always used to teach, propagate, generate, breed or provoke sin and rebellion against God's laws. Any honest Christian would be hard pressed to argue that point Biblically. Indeed, through this medium many evils are imaged as necessary evils or a justifiable lack of integrity and Godliness. I would say the widespread insurrection of children, the immorality of dress, the increase in wickedness, the pride of vanity, the lack of honesty, the lack of charity in the selfishness of man (as opposed to Godly selflessness), the rebellion against governments, the sexual revolution, the insubordination against the creation ordinance between men and women, the indifference toward the solemn oath of the unbreakable marriage covenant, the callousness toward God's declaration of hating divorce, the loss of family values/traditions, etc., etc., came primarily through the television sets of the world! It came through the pedantic voices of the talking heads demonstrating in their learning, neither their learning, nor wisdom.

2nd Timothy 3:6-7
  • "For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
  • Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth."

Like Jannes and Jambres, these talking heads in the spiritual insanity promote the likeness of the beast all over the world, changing hearts and minds with their incessant propaganda against God's social ordinances. This inanimate object called Television, unquestionably reflects the likeness of the Beast in the spirit of rebellion among the children of men. Yes, for the majority of people who are not Spirit led, this resemblance to the likeness of the beast is almost imperceptible because they see these abominations as either inconsequential or mere bumps in the road.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Halle

• "Because He Lives"
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2017, 09:43:16 AM »
The television and of itself is not evil.  Just because some people watching something that does not glorify God does not qualifies their televisions as the image of the beast of Revelation 13.  There are Godly people who uses television to listen to sermons, for DIY projects, etc.

Erik, not to challenge you but can you tell me one God glorifying program that is on your TV. I need a reference point, something I can look up and see that it's true that TV isn't 99 percent evil. Cabnn you tell me the name, station and what time it comes on?

Where I live, I can't find even one as the airwaves are full of fear mongering, anti-religion propaganda, sexual and violent dramas, promotions of abortion, divorce, evolution, the dissolution of the family, and railing on anyone who dares speak out against immorality of our youth.

You say there are good programs on, please name some verifiable shows. Because I think people in general just say that to justify watching what is actually on TV which is pure entertainment, lust and brain washing.

The sermons I see on TV are not by faithful preachers who believe in the Bible alone.

By the way, I do believe that the television is losing its glory to mobile phones where almost everyone are using it to watch same TV shows, social media, chat, shopping, gaming, reservation, etc.

Mobile phones will probably fit the same category of over the air broadcasts like TV.

It is people who abused their mobile phones for their sinful desire, but that does not means the mobile phones are the image of the beast, too.   

Not the very image, just a reflection of the image. A conduit for the beast.

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2017, 11:47:11 AM »
I have to say I agree with Halle that most of us in this forum recognize the subtle and inconspicuous way that Television portrays sin or wickedness as some form or caring, modernism, love, progressive thinking, justice, goodness, or NEW understanding of the ancient Histories, and Hebrew or Greek languages or idioms. A likeness of the Beast? Most definitelty. If it doesn't actually come from the Bible, it's not the word of God it is subjection and assumptions. And this is the primary teaching methodology of Television. i.e., "this is what we think and we are experts on what is just and righteous, not God." Just like those in the church who have mimiced them, those outside the church make themselves a god to be worshiped by their ego.

I understand however, don't you agree that the context of Revelation 13:12-16 is speaking about the Congregation of God, the Church, where false prophets rule.

Rev 13:11-14
[11]  And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon.
[12]  And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed.
[13]  And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men,
[14]  And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.

The second beast represents the false prophets who have deceived the unfaithful people of the congregation by the means of false miracles, signs and wonders through doctrines and teachings of false prophets. They have power that comes out of their mouths that gives life to the image of the beast. This is how they kill Two Witnesses by extinguish the truthful testimony... in the church, right?  Yet you think it is because of television as the image or reflection of the beast that the false prophets and christs are using against their church? 

Please help me understand better how do you reconcile television with the context of Revelation 13? 

Thanks
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2017, 12:11:38 PM »
Quote from: Halle
Erik, not to challenge you but can you tell me one God glorifying program that is on your TV. I need a reference point, something I can look up and see that it's true that TV isn't 99 percent evil. Cabnn you tell me the name, station and what time it comes on?

I only have internet and use HDTV televisions as a monitors for my computer, mostly for design work and of course this forum. :-)   I do not have a cable TV or airwave. I do not watch ungodly sitcoms, programs, or even sports like most people do. With the internet, I went to websites like I'll be honest and listen to some sermons by pastors that I thought is pretty good like Paul Washer. I also enjoyed DIY sites like Pinterest to build wood tables. 

I agreed with Tony that most, if not all television programs, are not glorifying God.  I did not watch shows today but I did hear its so bad that I even caught some of my own relatives allowing these type of shows, like Will and Grace, or modern family, to come into their houses where they accused me of being a Pharisee when I visited.   ::)

I, myself, remember enjoyed watching rerun shows like the Little House on the Prairie. Of course, I have noticed that all shows like that has been replaced with more ungodly programs for the past generation that Tony has described. That is why I no longer watch TV programs show anymore and focus more on Bible and my children. Honestly, it is the mobile phones that is starting to affect me and my children.  :-[

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Kenneth White

• Thinking Christians, Intelligent Theology
« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2017, 06:55:27 PM »
Not the very image, just a reflection of the image. A conduit for the beast.

Hmmmmmmm.  :thinker:
Proverbs 1:5-6 "A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels: To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings."

Rupert

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2017, 03:18:39 AM »

Joe Johnson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2017, 10:22:24 AM »
What are you guys smoking? This forum is very liberal and amillennial, which warps your sense of what is conservative and righteous. Watching TV is not wicked. There are good programs and there are bad programs. It's you who has to decide what is good and bad. It's called free will, which I'm sure most of you are against that too. Maybe you should tune into ABC Family or Freeform with Pat Robinson and cast the devil out.

Scotty

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2017, 08:36:57 AM »
Thanks. I know that there is very little (if any) redeeming value to television, except maybe to warn of some impending disaster or something like that. But otherwise I find it pulling my mind in the wrong direction of thought. I've cut way back on it, but I admit Not as much as I should. I like Halle's description of it as a conduit for the Beast. That seems to fit perfectly. Any suggestions on how to wean oneself from it?

Lieberman

• I'm a Llama
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2017, 03:19:57 PM »

Yes,
  Mark 9:47 "And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out:"

Don't wean yourself from it like an addiction, cut if off like a cancer.

Soldier

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2017, 06:40:48 PM »
Easy to say, hard to do.

Manuel

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2017, 04:31:12 PM »

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]