[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: How Do We Understand Isaiah 65:17-25  (Read 9699 times)

Della

• Jesaus Is Lord!
Re: How Do We Understand Isaiah 65:17-25
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 09:49:33 AM »
This thread is also worth revisiting.  Particularly as it relates to a spiritual or symbolic meaning.

Isaiah 65:20 There shall be no more thence an infant of days, nor an old man that hath not filled his days: for the child shall die an hundred years old; but the sinner being an hundred years old shall be accursed.

Melanie,
  I do admire a girl that questions, so do not be dissuaded and keep it up.

This verse is one that has confounded even the very best theologians. it is very difficult to understand. All you have to do is look at some of their commentaries to see that. The whole chapter is difficult.  Those who don't ignore it completely, either claim it means back to a time of the garden of Eden literally (which I don't believe) or have the idea of people literally having their lives on earth extended.

I like John's handling of this chapter for the most part, but this particular verse still seems not really clarified. And maybe we'll never understand it. Who knows. I also don't think there will be wolves and lambs in heaven. Bradley's post and his take on this seems more plausible.

Like you, I have an open mind and am still looking for the truth concerning these passages. There are a lot of different ideas out there.

Tra Millwood

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 01:59:29 PM »
Melanie,
  Tony Warren had a study of this chapter, I don't know what became of it or where he is right now, but you might do a search. He interpreted the chapter like Bradley, symbolically as the New covenant period, with the lambs being believers and the wolves being spirits of Satan who cannot hurt them. The same with the child playing on the serpents lair that cannot be hurt.  The old child I think (if I remember correctly) symbolizing life eternal. Anyone else remember the study, or where it might be?

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 07:06:29 AM »
Melanie,
  Tony Warren had a study of this chapter, I don't know what became of it or where he is right now, but you might do a search. He interpreted the chapter like Bradley, symbolically as the New covenant period, with the lambs being believers and the wolves being spirits of Satan who cannot hurt them. The same with the child playing on the serpents lair that cannot be hurt.  The old child I think (if I remember correctly) symbolizing life eternal. Anyone else remember the study, or where it might be?

Tra,
  Tony's article was a Frequently Asked Question concerning a specific verse of Isaiah 65. I asked Tony about it and he said it was taken down a while ago to be worked on, as he is writing a full verse by verse study of Isaiah Chapter 65. Unfortunately, he;'s been really busy lately and it's taken longer than he thought to get back to it.  So maybe it will be finished before long.

Bunyan

• Luke 8:24
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 08:46:14 AM »
Unfortunately, he;'s been really busy lately and it's taken longer than he thought to get back to it.  So maybe it will be finished before long.

Frankly, I don't know how he makes tiime to hold down a job, write Bible studies, run a website and moderate a forum. When I can hardly hold down a job and have any time left to do anything. God is good.

"The law says, 'do this,' and it is never done. Grace
says, 'believe in this,' and everything is already done
."
- Martin Luther

George

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 09:26:16 AM »
He interpreted the chapter like Bradley, symbolically as the New covenant period, with the lambs being believers and the wolves being spirits of Satan who cannot hurt them. The same with the child playing on the serpents lair that cannot be hurt. 

What a ridiculous thing. The premillennial view adheres to a literal interpretation of the Bible. Which is the only true interpretation.In fact, this is the oldest known interpretation of the millennial Kingdom.  For the first two centuries, premillennialism was the accepted view of the church.  Papias was a companion of Polycarp, who was discipled by John, the author of revelation.  Papias believed in the literal earthly premillennial doctrine.  Other second and third century scholars who held to this belief included Irenaus, Appolinarius, Victorinus, Tertullian, and Lactantius.  The millennial Kingdom is on this earth and of the premillennial view.

Isaiah 65:25
 "The wolf and the lamb shall feed together, and the lion shall eat straw like the bullock: and dust shall be the serpent's meat. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain, saith the LORD".

Only  someone stupid would think that this was happening now, that Satan was bound or that Christ has brought peace to Jerusalem.

Peng Bao

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 12:26:33 PM »
He interpreted the chapter like Bradley, symbolically as the New covenant period, with the lambs being believers and the wolves being spirits of Satan who cannot hurt them. The same with the child playing on the serpents lair that cannot be hurt.  

What a ridiculous thing.

Ridiculous?

Luke 10:3 Go your ways: behold, I send you forth as lambs among wolves.

Is Christ ridiculous?  Maybe it is your way of looking at His words is ridiculous.

Jeff

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 08:39:06 AM »

Only  someone stupid would think that this was happening now, that Satan was bound or that Christ has brought peace to Jerusalem.

We'll be stupid for Christ, no problem. But let me ask you a question George. Do you really think God literally prophecies of children playing on the holes of snakes and not being hurt? What's a child doing playing with a snake? You're not thinking clearly. Doesn't God all through scripture use snakes as representatives of the spirit Satan? Why do you not understand that.

Mt 12:29 Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.

So if it is stupid to think Satan is bound now, then I'll be stupid. If it is stupid to think Christ has brought peace, then I'll be stupid. Because that's exactly what God's word says.

bram

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2010, 06:03:42 AM »
and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.
How do we have to see this?
A lion will never eat straw, a lion does't like straw.

Is this maybe the sinner, an enemy of the gospel,  that repents?
As a sinner he didn't like the spiritual food of the gospel, but once repented he longs for it?
or is there a better explanation?

trust in de Lord with all thine heart, and lean not unto thine own understanding

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]