[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Sabbath and Sabbaths New Testament Controversy  (Read 408 times)

ZeroCool

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Sabbath and Sabbaths New Testament Controversy
« on: May 11, 2018, 09:30:48 AM »
>>>
John, I agree with what Minna said about your point of Young translating the word as "Sabbaths".  It makes no sense at all.
<<<

On the contrary. With a diligent study, it makes "PERFECT" sense. It may make no sense to some people who haven't studied the issue, but it makes perfect sense to God who authored it penned.

I'm beginning to see that this is the key isn't it?  Not what we think but what God said and comparing scripture to understand why he had it written that way.

>>>
Truth is the word for Sabbath is always in the plural,
<<<

That is untrue. Sabbath is written in both singular and plural form. And those "experts" who claim that nevertheless it doesn't make a difference, are experts in egregious effusion only. e.g.,

Matthew 12:5
  • "Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the Sabbath days [Plural] the priests in the temple profane the Sabbath [singular], and are blameless?"

In this verse of Matthew we have both the plural and singular used. Why? Because in the first instance it speaks of many Sabbaths (KJV translated Sabbath days), and in the second instance it is referring to the Sabbath of rest itself. And really, to believe that God inspired singular and plural words to be written in scripture "for no reason at all"

Is this also pointing to the Sunday Sabbath of rest as a sign of the Covenant? The first day of the week, Sunday?

Matthew 28:1
"In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre."

There are two sabbaths there in my concordance. The New Covenant verses the old? Is that what you are saying, the dawn of the sabbath of rest in Christ?

ZeroCool

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Re: Sabbath and Sabbaths New Testament Controversy
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 06:01:51 PM »
I asked admin if he would make this Sabbath question I asked a different thread from The King JKmaes Only Controversy >

http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=288.msg9702#msg9702

Since I couldn't delete it and he said he would so this isn't off topic here.

Rich Aikers

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 07:55:36 PM »
ZC,
  There is a continuity between the Old and New Covenants and the Old and New Covenant Sabbaths are to demonstrate that while showing the Mosaic law has been fulfilled in Christ. So the ceremonial aspect of the Mosaic law Saturday Sabbath was done away with when Christ fulfilled it, but since Christ is now our Sabbath of Rest, we continue to observe it in memoriam of Him on the first day, which is Sunday. In Christ the Sabbath is part of a universal and continuity of recognition of Christ as our only true rest from our labors. In other words, His grace replaced our works.

ZeroCool

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 08:36:26 PM »

Thanks for that Rich.

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 10:25:06 AM »
>>>
Is this also pointing to the Sunday Sabbath of rest as a sign of the Covenant? The first day of the week, Sunday?
<<<

Yes, Absolutely. The Seventh Day Sabbath was actually pointing forward to the New Covenant with Israel wherein the children of God would find rest in Christ, the ultimate promised land and kingdom, and the Israel of God (hosea 11:1; Matthew 2:15). They keep the law looking forward to that rest, we keep the Sabbath law in Christ and look backward on the first of the New Testament commemoration Sabbaths, Sunday.

Exdus 31:16
  • "Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant."

Same as before, Israel wants to keep the Sabbath law, but we understand no one can work themselves into the Sabbath, we understand we must enter in through Christ, and through Him is continuity of Covenant and keeping the Sabbath.

>>>
Matthew 28:1
"In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre."

There are two sabbaths there in my concordance. The New Covenant verses the old? Is that what you are saying, the dawn of the sabbath of rest in Christ?
<<<

literally:

Matthew 28:1
  • "In the end of the Sabbaths [plural], as it began to dawn toward the first of the Sabbaths [plural], came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre."

Yes, as I said in that post, in conjunction with this scenario of the resurrection of Christ (Matthew 28:6) both the Sabbaths are "plural" to indicate it was the "end" of one era of Sabbaths (Old Testament, Saturday) and the "first" or beginning of another era of Sabbaths (New Testament, Sunday).

Mark 16:9
  • "Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils."

That wording is "first Sabbath" there (translated first day of the week) when Christ appeared after being risen. Again, this is not in the context of Christ's resurrection on that Sunday by coincidence. The day of resurrection being on Sunday illustrates the beginning of the New Testament Sabbaths. If we continued to observe the Satuyrday Sabbath, we would be as Israel looking forward to this Resurrection, not backward at it. The same reason we don't sacrifice animals on an altar or go to Jerusalem 3 times a year. All that was completed or fulfilled in Christ.

>>>
Is this also pointing to the Sunday Sabbath of rest as a sign of the Covenant? The New Covenant verses the old? Is that what you are saying, the dawn of the sabbath of rest in Christ?
<<<

Yes, in Saturday worship the Old Covenant Sabbath looked forward to the resurrection of Christ as their Covenanted Rest, Sunday, the New Covenant Sabbath looks backward to the Resurrection of Christ as our Covenanted rest. In other words, it all points to Christ as the fulfillment of he Day of cessation of works (Grace/Sabbath). Notice why God says there was a Sabbath day instituted:

Deuteronomy 5:12-15
  • "Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee.
  • Six days thou shalt labour, and do all thy work:
  • But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou.
  • And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the LORD thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the LORD thy God commanded thee to keep the Sabbath Day."

The Sabbath was instituted to illustrate Godís gift of redemption of His people from the house of bondage and bringing them into the Promised/Covenanted land, which again points to Christ and our deliverance from spiritual bondage and our translation into the Spiritual Promised/Covenanted land. In verse 14 God says the Sabbath was a day of the LORD thy God wherein His people were not to do any work. In other words, it is a day in our Lord where they not only didn't have to worry about works, but wherein under law no works could be done. It was a day of rest that could only come by Grace, not of works

Romans 11:6
  • "And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work."

The Sabbath was instituted to prefigure the Covenant with the Israel of God, our ultimate cessation of works that is accomplished in the rest of Christ.

Hebrews 4:8-9
  • "For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
  • There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God."

This of course answering the objection that Joshua made good on the Covenant with the children of Israel when he brought them into Canaan they entered into the rest of God. He's explaining that it was not a physical rest in a physical nation that was in view, but a Spiritual rest in Christ. Because if that were the rest, then after they entered into th Canaan, the land of Israel, God would not have later spoken of a future day of entering the Sabbath of rest. Illustrating that the true rest was in the coming Christ when all nations would enter in His fulfillment of the Sabbath covenant.

Isaiah 56:6-7
  • "Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the LORD, to serve him, and to love the name of the LORD, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant;
  • Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people."

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

ZeroCool

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 12:30:21 PM »

Hebrews 4:8-9
  • "For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
  • There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God."

This of course answering the objection that Joshua made good on the Covenant with the children of Israel when he brought them into Canaan they entered into the rest of God.

Thanks Tony, I appreciate your time. One thing, I do not understand Jesus not giving Joshua rest when they came into Canaan?

R. Anspach

• No condemnation for those who are in Christ
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 01:10:16 PM »
Zerocool,
  You're probably confused because the word there in your KJV Jesus is Joshua.  Jesus and Joshua in Hebrew is the same name. So it's saying "For if Joshua had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day."

Tony is correct, Paul speaks of Joshua the son of Nun, and as the land of Canaan was a figure of our true rest, so also Joshua was a figure of Christ.

"But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith." Galatians 3:11

ZeroCool

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 07:28:49 PM »
 &TY Anspach, I learn something new everyday.

Mila Ostrovsky

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 08:21:08 AM »
ZeroCool,
  There is a excellent article in Bible study that was written in 1996 by Tony Warren on this interesting subject.

Who Changed the Sabbath Day to Sunday

http://mountainretreatorg.net/bible/who_changed_the_sabbath.shtml

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]