[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: "Bees" in Scripture  (Read 4103 times)

Genrev

"Bees" in Scripture
« on: October 30, 2004, 10:41:57 PM »
Dear Everyone,

This isn't a honey question, as such, but it is honey-related.    :D

I am trying to understand what "Bees" represent spiritually in Scripture.

Here are the only four references to them:

Deuteronomy 1:44

And the Amorites, which dwelt in that mountain, came out against you, and chased you, as bees do, and destroyed you in Seir, even unto Hormah.

Judges 14:8

And after a time he returned to take her, and he turned aside to see the carcase of the lion: and, behold, there was a swarm of bees and honey in the carcase of the lion.

Psalms 118:12

They compassed me about like bees; they are quenched as the fire of thorns: for in the name of the LORD I will destroy them.

Isaiah 7:18

And it shall come to pass in that day, that the LORD shall hiss for the fly that is in the uttermost part of the rivers of Egypt, and for the bee that is in the land of Assyria.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks...

Blessings,
Minna

Wonder

Re: "Bees" in Scripture
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2004, 11:27:07 AM »
I will try to explain how I see this and only hope that if you don't understand, you ask more of me.
The bees is a group of people who have the potentual to hurt or help others. The bees who have fed on the dead body of the lion (Jesus) is people like me. I have learned and partaken of the body of Jesus (the church), which is dead. And can now produce the honey for healing.

WrldTvlr

Re: "Bees" in Scripture
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 05:51:12 PM »
Here is what John Gill says about the passages you listed.

Deuteronomy 1:44

And the Amorites, which dwelt in that mountain, came out against you, and chased you, as bees do, and destroyed you in Seir, even unto Hormah.

came out against you, and chased you, as bees do; which being disturbed in their hives come out in great numbers, and with great fury and ardour (for, though a small creature, it has a great deal of spirit); and pursue the aggressor, and leave him not till they have stung him, though thereby they lose their stings, and quickly their lives, at least their usefulness; so these Amorites, being irritated at the approach of the Israelites on their borders, came out in great numbers and with great wrath, and fell upon them and smote them, and pursued them a long way, as is after expressed, though these in the issue were destroyed

Judges 14:8

And after a time he returned to take her, and he turned aside to see the carcase of the lion: and, behold, there was a swarm of bees and honey in the carcase of the lion.

This answer is a bit long but I will post it if you wish.

Psalms 118:12

They compassed me about like bees; they are quenched as the fire of thorns: for in the name of the LORD I will destroy them.

They compassed me about like bees, &c.] In great numbers {w}; as a swarm of bees, which, being irritated and provoked, will fly upon persons in a body, and with great fury; to which the Amorites and the Assyrian army were compared, #De 1:44 Isa 7:18. They will attack horses and kill them, as Aristotle {x} says; and places besieged have been delivered by throwing out hives of bees among the besiegers {y}: and yet as they are feeble creatures, so by striking they lose their sting; and either die very quickly, or however become useless. All which denotes the numbers of the enemies of David and of Christ, and of his church and people, and the wrath and fury of them against them, as well as their fruitless and unsuccessful attempts upon them; for though they rage, what they contrive and endeavour to put in execution are vain things, and in the issue end in their own ruin and destruction;

Isaiah 7:18

And it shall come to pass in that day, that the LORD shall hiss for the fly that is in the uttermost part of the rivers of Egypt, and for the bee that is in the land of Assyria.      

and for the bee that [is] in the land of Assyria; the Assyrian army, so called because the country abounded with bees; and because of the number of their armies, their military order and discipline, and their hurtful and mischievous nature. The Targum paraphrases the whole thus,

"and it shall be at that time that the Lord shall call to a people, bands of armies, of mighty men, who are numerous as flies, and shall bring them from the ends of the land of Egypt; and to mighty armies, who are powerful as bees, and shall bring them from the uttermost parts of the land of Assyria:"

I hope this helps.

"The Bible is the best of all books, for it is the word of God and teaches us the way to be happy in this world and in the next. Continue therefore to read it and to regulate your life by its precepts." --John Jay

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]