[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Is Selling Christian Books Wrong?  (Read 18386 times)

Deuce Johnson

• I'm a llama!
Re: Is Selling Christian Books Wrong?
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2007, 08:29:56 AM »

1 Cor. 9:18
  "What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel".

it's an open and shut case of making merchandise of the word of God. You don't sell the gospel, or make money off your understanding of the gospel. Period.

I would have to change it to "when I preach the gospel, I may give the gospel of Christ with charge, that I abuse my power in the gospel".[/b] I'm not going to do that. I'm going to receive the plain teaching of it.

Who here would dare think that Paul would dream of charging the Romans and Thessalonians for his letters?  My goodness, don't we get it? We are no different than Paul. Sitting here making excuses why we should charge, in direct contravention of the word of God, is an outrage.

I get it. And I agree with you, not that anyone cares or that it makes any difference. But you make a very good point.

I just put myself in those shoes. When Christ returns I wouldn't want to be caught hawking the gospel for my own profit. I have at least that much sense to understand it is wrong. And NO I cannot even vaguely imagine the Apostle Paul selling his writings to the people he was trying to educate. Because he wasn't self-absorbed like the people of the Church today. And as the scriptures show, there is a reason he wouldn't do it. And he is our example. That settles it for me.

I think the key word here, as always, is rationalize. The mamon of unrighteousness will do that sometimes.

Pearson

• Conformed by the Blood
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2007, 09:17:24 AM »
From the scripture Bloodstone gave, it seems the Apostle Paul doesn't share your view that he should have been paid. And from this scripture, neither did he think he was entitled to freeload because he wrote letters concerning the gospel, when staying at others homes.

2Th 3:8 Neither did we eat any man's bread for nought; but wrought with labour and travail night and day, that we might not be chargeable to any of you:
 9 Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an ensample unto you to follow us.

I hold to these scriptures, Paul was a far different person from those selling the gospel in the Church today. Unlike the merchants of today, Paul gave his knowledge of the gospel without charge, because He had honor and the integrity to know it wasn't his merchandise to sell. Any reward he would get from preaching the gospel would not come from man, but from God.

Pearson

[Soapbox mode on]

Just My two cents

[Soapbox mode off]

David Knoles

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2007, 11:30:32 AM »
Could you people be anymore uptight?

I see nothing wrong with Christians selling their hard written books about the gospel for a profit. They have to make a living like everyone else. You think their work should be free? Personally, I love reading the Christian books in the stores today. They show a lot of what we don't know about eschatology, the revival of the nation of Israel, how the gospel is going to be preached to the ends of the earth and how salvation is by grace. A lot of people wouldn't know without them. We could all use a different point of view every once in a while.

I have to say that this forum is just too strict when it comes to the gospel. Hell and damnation, don't do this, don't do that. Loosen up a bit, open your collars. You take all the fun out of being a Chrisrtian. Careful you do not become legalists forbidding everyone from breaking the law. We are not under law, so you can't scare us by quoting the law.

http://www.amazon.com/Prophecy-Knowledge-Handbook-John-Walvoord/dp/0896935094

Buy and learn.

Kenneth White

• Thinking Christians, Intelligent Theology
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2007, 04:48:04 PM »
I have to say that this forum is just too strict when it comes to the gospel.

Thanks! Coming from you, that is a compliment.

I have riddle.

Question: How many scriptures does it take to convince Christians that selling the gospel is wrong?

Answer: More than you can give.

1 Cor 2:12
  "Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God".

That we may take what is freely given to us by the grace of God, and sell it for personal gain? I do not think you have considered the whole bible sir. That Greek word free is "Charizomai" and means to give without charge, give without obligation, to grace you, to receive by no merit. How can we sell what we have been freely given by God, and then claim God smiles upon that? I am baffled by this belief.

Matthew 10:8
 "Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give".

Don't charge, you don't merit anything for it, freely give. Yes, clearly the workman is worthy of his hire, but not by selling the gospel. That was the abomination of Jim Baker charging, "send me $20.00" and I'll bless you with my hand written book, plus a prayer cloth if you act now. What's the difference between that, and asking for money for a book you think will bless someone? There is no difference except his name was Jim Baker and you don't like his book. I agree Bloodstone, there is a difference between the flock of a Church helping a Pastor and Christian selling the gospel. One is a charge, the other is charity because the workman is worthy of his hire.

Buy and learn.

Or buy and sell? No thanks! I refuse.

Proverbs 1:5-6 "A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels: To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings."

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2007, 07:31:38 AM »

Agreed. Whenever I hear that we are being too strict, or following the law too closely or are bible thumpers, then I know I am being faithful to God's laws. I then know I am on the right track.

I have riddle.

Question: How many scriptures does it take to convince Christians that selling the gospel is wrong?

Answer: More than you can give.

:laugh:  Nice one!

While I am not against books about the bible, or even selling books about the bible, I am against selling books about the bible for personal gain. That is selling the gospel, and like Bloodstone, I don't care who disagrees, that doesn't change the facts. Only scripture will change my mind, and there is no scriptures that contradicts God and says we can sell our knowledge of the gospel. Just the opposite, it says distribute without charge. And after all the smoke is cleared, hawking their God gifted knowledge is exactly what they are doing. I know it, you know it, and they know it to. How can you not know it? I think it is an abomination, just one of many by theologians. These people have forgotten that they are not their own, and that the knowledge they have is not theirs to sell. It's not theirs! God gave it to them to give freely.

Lu 17:9 Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I trow not.
 10 So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.

But today Christians not only demand to be paid for their work, the bristle at such a suggestion as working without profit. But we don't demand to be paid for something that we received freely, and which was our duty to pass along just as freely as we received it.

But how do you argue with the obstinate? Their minds are closed to scripture and reasoning with them futile. Unless they grow a conscience, we will always be too strict and overbearing about God's law to them.

David Knoles

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2007, 09:15:11 AM »

That is, if an elder is going to labor in the word and devotes himself to bringing forth the deep things of God, those who benefit by his labor should ensure he is monetarily taken care of;

john

You got that right. Don't listen to the legalists. Every Christian has the right to get paid for his labors in the gospel. We live in a world that works by money. Nothing is free, so why should anyone expect to receive anything for free?  Where I come from, we call them free loaders. Nothing is without cost, and that's the bottom line. You want food, you pay for it. You get a water bill, you pay for it. You want heat, you buy oil or pay the gas bill. Nothing is free. I'm done. These people are hopeless John.

David Knoles

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2007, 09:17:08 AM »

You are so ridiculous. Don't you pay to get internet? Nothing is free. Deal with it!

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2007, 01:54:22 AM »
I see nothing wrong with Christians selling their hard written books about the gospel for a profit. They have to make a living like everyone else. You think their work should be free? Personally, I love reading the Christian books in the stores today. They show a lot of what we don't know about eschatology, the revival of the nation of Israel, how the gospel is going to be preached to the ends of the earth and how salvation is by grace. A lot of people wouldn't know without them. We could all use a different point of view every once in a while.

No wondering you preferred "Left Behind" series, instead of God's Word, as your teacher.   

Too bad.  It is because you do not like to hear what God's Words actually says that we testify! 

Loosen up a bit, open your collars. You take all the fun out of being a Chrisrtian.

Fun?!?  Do you think the Christians are supposed to pick up colorful balloons instead of the Cross?

Joh 16:33  These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

Tribulation! Not 'fun'. 

Mat 16:24  Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

And please spare us from your pre-tribulation non-senses written by many false prophets who also wrote that all Christians should not need to follow God's commandments but instead having 'fun' or loosen up.

Joh 14:15  If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Erik
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Diane Moody

• The Kingdom is Within You
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2007, 11:22:32 PM »

You are so ridiculous. Don't you pay to get internet? Nothing is free.

We may have to pay to go on the world wide web, but that has nothing to do with the gospel. We don't pay to come here to this bible forum, or to read the bible here, or the articles and books here, or to search out other's writings on the search here, so obviously some people understand that the gospel should not be sold, but given freely. And some don't, and we understand that.

Deal with it!

We do deal with it. That's the problem, You don't. You say nothing is free, but you won't listen to God's word that says some things are free. And that they should remain free, distributed freely.

" Let God be true and every man a liar"

Something is free. And what we received freely, we give freely. Well, at least some of us do.

"freely ye have received, freely give".

Yes, some of us do "deal with it."

"Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price. - Isaiah 55:1

When you say nothing is free, you make God the liar. And should we take what he has given us without money and without price, and make merchandise out of it? We say no. I hapily join the others in declaring I don't care who says it's alright to do. God is my authority, not  man.

Too strict?

"Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it". -Matthew 7:14

Yes, most of us here take the restricted path. We're not ashamed of that. And yes, we may be few as compared to other forums that have a wide birth and give carte Blanche to every doctrine.. But if you don't like the strictness here, then why have you been here for so long?

David Knoles

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2007, 05:49:32 PM »
Diane, did you buy your Bible? Then you are supporting those who make merchandise of the gospel.

Deal with it!

And aren't you reformed? Reformers have sold gospel books for ages. Selling the gospel is not a sin, legalism is.

midas

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2007, 08:14:31 PM »
My take on this is God will know your heart

If you are selling religious teaching books for non-profit to break even or even to help pay your rent, food bill, etc God will know your heart - If you are selling these books for the love of money, or to move into a 4000 Square ft new home, he will know this also. God will judge accordingly

David Knoles

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2007, 09:50:14 AM »
My take on this is God will know your heart

If you are selling religious teaching books for non-profit to break even or even to help pay your rent, food bill, etc God will know your heart - If you are selling these books for the love of money, or to move into a 4000 Square ft new home, he will know this also. God will judge accordingly

You are right. Now tell these stuff shirt Christians that. It's about the love in our hearts. Like I said, we are perfectly in our rights to sell the gospel in books we write. And these people who don't like it are just legalists who want to put limits on everything. They need to just loosen up.

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/BIBLE-KNOWLEDGE-COMMENTARY-VOLUME-SET-John-F-Walvoord/9780896938007-item.html?ref=Books%3a+May+We+Recommend

You have to pay for what you get, because nothing is free in this life. It's what's in the heart that counts.

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2007, 11:03:51 AM »
>>>
You are right. Now tell these stuff shirt Christians that.
<<<

Ok, Stuff Shirt I assume you use this as relating to stiff, starched, unmoving, unwilling to bend?

Psalms 16:8
  • "I have set the LORD always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved."

Not moved equaling stuff shirts, stiff, unmoving?  Well yes, we'll accept that. Not moved by rationalizations, wresting, ignoring, nor by the myriad of professing Christians who compromise at every turn. Yes, I'd say there are a few who are pretty unmoved when it comes to compromising scripture. And you know, if I had to venture a guess who would be the more likely to enter the Kingdom of heaven, "Stuff Shirt Christians" or "Obstinate Rationalizing Christians," I would guess the stuff shirters every time. Assuming "stuff shirts" means Christians who are resistant to movements in society that are contrary to God's word. Resistant to doctrines like "selling the gospel for personal profit."

Who then is the good Samaritan? The one who freely helps those in dire need desiring nothing in return, or the one who stands by him with his hand out requiring him to enrich him with money first? That is the real question, not the smoke screen of a non-Christian company selling Bibles. We're talking about alleged Christians here, those who are supposed to be unprofitable servants of the Lord, not serving themselves.

Luke 17:9-10
  • "Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I trow not.
  • So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do."

>>>
It's about the love in our hearts...

...It's what's in the heart that counts.
<<<

Oh boy, here we go again. It's all about love? It's all about what's in the heart. If I had a dime for every time I heard this rationalizing nonsense about love and what's in the heart, I would never lack for dimes again. These sayings are usually reserved for when someone wants to do something they know they shouldn't be doing and thinks God will forgive them because their heart is in the right place.

John, you shouldn't divorce!
  Well, God knows my heart and so that's all that matters.

Butch, Homosexuality is wrong according to scripture.
  Well, that's an interpretation, and God knows the love that is in our hearts.

Mary, you shouldn't have an abortion!
  Well, it will ruin my chance for college, and it's what is in my heart that counts.

Thomas, you shouldn't be going to Atlantic City to gamble.
  Well, it's just a game, and God knows I love Him and what's really in my heart.

Suzy, you shouldn't have sex before marriage.
  Well, I really love him, and God knows this and will forgive.

David, you shouldn't be selling the word of God for personal profit.
   Well, nothing is free, and God knows my heart and so that's all that matters.

Baloney! It's all a pack of lies by the great deceiver. The problem with this oft used philosophy is that Love (agape) in their heart is as far from these people as night is to day. And God indeed does know what is in their (or our) hearts. Thus, He knows that it is full of the desires and lusts of the flesh, willfulness, stubbornness, vanity, narcissism, and all the imaginations of a desperately wicked mind. Who can know it? ...Certainly not man. But God? Yes He knows how man rationalizes whatever he wants! The motives cloaked by our rationalizations are not hid from Him.

Hebrews 4:12-13
  • "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
  • Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of Him with whom we have to do."

It is all made manifest in God's eyes, and no one will be able to hide behind platitudes like "God knows my heart" when they make merchandise of the gospel. Because God "does" know our hearts. He knows that it is desperately wicked without His conditioning. He knows that apart from His glorious light, we will always be slipping into darkness, seeking ways to justify whatever we want.

You say it's about the love in our hearts? God says:

1st John 2:5
  • "But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him."

You say it's what's in the heart that counts. God says:

Jeremiah 17:9-10
  • "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
  • I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings."
Proverbs 18:12
  • "Before destruction the heart of man is haughty, and before honour is humility.
  • He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him."

Man has a haughty or proud and obstinate heart So if it's what is in man's heart that counts, we are all doomed. For it is not in our heart to do good, apart from God's moving us to it. So to think that God is looking upon our hearts to see if we are good is unbiblical. God makes us good, he doesn't check to see if we are good. He knows there is no good thing in us that we would choose His will over our own. I.e., if we want to sell His word for profit, we will do that, unless God moves us to understand the rebellion of such an act.

>>>
Like I said, we are perfectly in our rights to sell the gospel in books we write.
<<<

Our "Right" to sell the gospel? In a word, B A L O N E Y ! Once we become true Christians (key word being true) it is not our desire to profit monetarily from that which God has freely given us to testify, our heart felt earnest desire is to pass it on just as freely. We are not our own, our work is not our own to profit from, rather, it is our DUTY. Preaching the gospel is a gift, a privilege, not a right. The mind of man is so weak that he doesn't even understand that, though he may "parrot" the verse once a day and twice on Sundays.

1st Corinthians 6:19
  • "What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
  • For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's."

How can you sell for your personal gain, that which is not yours to sell, and which has been given freely, and has been commanded to you to distribute freely. No, you have no right to sell the gospel, selling the gospel is in fact contrary to God's laws. And those with God in their hearts, rather than rationalizations, knows this. They know it not because I say it, but because they are "BIBLE BELIEVERS" and the Bible has stated it very plainly. The "fact" is, you have no right to sell what is not yours to sell. You are merely a witness to God's Gospel. It's not yours to sell.

>>>
From midas:
If you are selling religious teaching books...

...to help pay your rent, food bill, etc God will know your heart
<<<

Yes, God will know that your heart is to make merchandise of His Holy word for personal profit, and unlike man, He is not swayed or mocked by self-serving phrases like "God will know our hearts." Of Course God will know our heart! He said it's desperately wicked (except the Spirit of God be within us). God will know our spirit, as opposed to the Spirit of God that does not excuse selling the gospel so that we can pay our rest, mortgage or buy a car. This is an abominable thought! If we want to pay our rest (except we be pastor or minister), we do it like everyone else in the world. There is no one on earth that needs to pay their rent by selling the gospel for profit. But this is how far the Church has fallen, that it will even excuse selling God's word to pay the rent. Unbelievable! Yet in some ways, totally understandable, considering God's Word.

>>>
David to Diane:
And aren't you reformed? Reformers have sold gospel books for ages.
<<<

I can't speak for Diane, but having grown in the Reformed tradition I will say that holding to Reformed traditions does not mean that we follow men. The "real" reformed tradition is that we do not follow men, but the Word of God. If they followed the traditions of men, the Reformers would have remained in the Roman Catholic Church. Granted "some" Reformed traditions today exalt man's traditions and the Reformed Patriarchs, but that is not what we are interested in. We are interested in the Biblical tradition, rather than Reformed. And the Biblical tradition is that the Apostles never ever even dreamed of an act like selling the gospel for their own personal profit. Such a thought, while normal for many professing Christians today, would have been abhorrent to them. Unlike Christians today, they didn't teach for rewards of men, but understood that their reward was in heaven. Professing Christians today want to be REWARDED here on earth for their work. This is as abhorrent to me, as it would be to the Apostle Paul.

1st Corinthians 9:18
  • "What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel."

Apparently some professing Christians believe they actually "DESERVE" a monetary reward for their hard work in preaching the gospel. God Forbid! Christ commanded us to look upon our work as servants of God as our duty, not something we should be reimbursed for. But where is the obedience today? Where is that humility today in the Church? If we are to listen to some people, then the Apostle Paul should have sold all his writings in the towns he went to, rather than have given them out freely, because (according to this idea) we can't muzzle the ox that works? Now I ask you pointedly, "does that sound right to you?" Because it doesn't sound right to me. I think that it is plain that Christians are using that scripture out of context with regard to making profitable merchandise of the gospel. That is to say, worldly profits. In order for that scripture to be able to relate to selling the gospel, it would have to declare that we can indeed sell the gospel message for a monetary profit. And of course it doesn't even come close, because Godís word is in harmony with itself and never contradicts itself. The great rule of sound hermeneutics is that one scripture cannot negate another. But alas, the Church does not do the first works anymore, and it expects reward, and shall have it--in this life.

>>>
And these people who don't like it are just legalists who want to put limits on everything.
<<<

Obviously, you don't even have a clue what the word "legalism" means. Legalism has nothing to do with selling the gospel word. And it is not this "handful" of faithful Christians here who put limits on what we can and cannot do, it is God who puts those limits upon us. It is just that there are "few" conscientious Christians who will abide by those limits. The rest rebel against limits, because God's limits are against their own will.

Numbers 24:13
  • "If Balak would give me his house full of silver and gold, I cannot go beyond the commandment of the LORD, to do either good or bad of mine own mind; but what the LORD saith, that will I speak?"

Staying within limits has only become a novel approach in our day, but to be sure it was, and is, and always will be the mindset of the Real Spirit filled people of God, as opposed to those who merely give lip service to obedience and not going beyond the commandments of the LORD.

>>>
They need to just loosen up.
<<<

We have loosened up. Haven't you heard. That is our whole purpose now. To loosen others as we have been loosed (Matthew 18:18). FREELY! i.e., as Paul delineated, without Charge. Even as Christ gave freely, we give the same freely. We have to. For to profit personally monetarily for what we have been given freely, is an abomination. Something that God would detest!

Isaiah 58:6-8
  • "Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?
  • Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?
  • Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the LORD shall be thy rereward."

We go forth loosing freely, even as we have been loosed. As Jesus was sent, so He sends us.

>>>
BIBLE-KNOWLEDGE-COMMENTARY-VOLUME-SET-John-F-Walvoord
<<<

That should be "FALSE-BIBLE-KNOWLEDGE," because those books are a complete distortion and twisting of God's word, and a prime example of what one with some worldly knowledge, without Spiritual knowledge of God, can do.

>>>
You have to pay for what you get...
<<<

Wrong! I don't know about you, but the gospel "the few" who recognize God's limits receives, has already been paid for. And by Grace of God, I would never even dream of declaring that we can profit monetarily for the gospel knowledge that has been freely given to us.

...but that's just me!

Like the parable of the guy who was forgiven all his debt freely, but then turned around and demanded to be paid the debt that someone owed him. Christ calls that man (APPROPRIATELY) wicked (Matthew 18:32-33). For like many professing Christians today, he didn't understand the concept of charity (agape) and the example of following Christ to freely give.

Acts 16:29-30
  • " Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas,
  • And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?"

The Post-modern professing Christian's answer today: Go to Amazon.com and buy this book that will thoroughly explain it to you, entitled, "what you must do to become saved." It's only $55 dollars.

Sorry, as for me and my house, we would call that not freely giving as we have received. ...but again, that's just me.

Sadly, as prophesied, unfaithfulness today is not only not seen, it is called liberty and deemed God commanded. Like the outward beauty of a sepulcher, where in the inward and unseen is the filth of rotting flesh, while outside it looks clean.

>>>
...because nothing is free in this life.
<<<

So says the unfaithful Church! But what saith God?

Isaiah 55:1
  • "Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price."

Selah! Hmmmmmm, believe professing Christians, or believe the scriptures? That is the question. As saith the scriptures, "Let God be true and every man a Liar!" ..as for me and my house, we will believe God rather than those who reject His divine truths and rationalize selling that which is freely given. Free to us, and free to everyone else. To do as the good Samaritan of old, rather than the worldly Physician who stands over the sick first requiring funds to pay for his help. 

>>>
It's what's in the heart that counts.
<<<

True. And what is in the heart that deems selling the gospel "For A Personal Profit," is not the Spirit of Christ! And I say that emphatically, unequivocally, and without reservation. That is NOT the Spirit of Christ. It wasn't the Spirit of the Apostles, and it shouldn't be the spirit of Christians today. Without Charge means "without charge." Free means free. If you want to make a profit selling a book, write a book about Politics, Construction, Cooking, Fashion or Detective work. But leave the gospel to be distributed freely, AS IF people's very lives depended upon them receiving it.

So while the phrase, "it's what in the heart that counts" has become today's Christian mantra and panasea, it is as empty a phrase. Like saying, "I'm really a good person." No, we're not!!!!!!!!! Because the heart of Christ is not to sell the gospel for our own profit. And anyone who says different is deluded! ...ANYONE! Remember it was one of the two brothers, Esau, who sold his birthright for a morsel of meat. God would have provided him meat, but he had to have his own will and succumbed to the flesh. Even as today! Be careful what you think you have every right to sell. You may find it was meant to go to someone else anyway, and you were never meant to have it.

Indeed, it is what is in the heart that counts. Do we have a heart of stone, where no matter what God says we hold to our own views, or do we have a softened heart where the spirit of God moves us to understand selling the gospel is a travesty and a despicable thing? That is the question.

Ezekiel 11:19-20
  • "And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh:
  • That they may walk in my statutes, and keep mine ordinances, and do them: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God."

When God gives us a heart, we will have an earnest desire to walk in His statutes, to do His will, and we will keep His ordinances without rationalizations. That is how we know we are His people and He is our God. That is the only way that "God knows our heart," because He softened it and we are truly known of Him. Careful that Christ, on that great day, doesn't say, "Depart from Me, I never knew you."

1st John 2:4-5
  • "He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
  • But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him."

Hereby, this is how we know. Our Spirit that loathes any thought of making merchandise of God's word.

nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Sue Landow

• Gold Member
  • Distributing to the saints & given to Hospitality.
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2007, 12:21:49 PM »
 I just want to say thanks Tony, Reformer, Diane, et al, for some Un-common sense!

I encourage you to please, continue "not" to follow the crowd.

God Bless! By the way, here is another verse.

Proverbs 28:8
 "He that by usury and unjust gain increaseth his substance, he shall gather it for him that will pity the poor."

Those who increases his money unjustly by selling what is not his, God will take it from him, and give it to him that will pity the poor. Amen.

How ironic that the free gift through Jesus Christ is counted something to be sold for personal gain.   :'(
"And again he said, Whereunto shall I liken the kingdom of God? It is like leaven, which a woman took and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened". Luke 13:20-21

George

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2007, 08:17:40 PM »
 Where does scripture say you can't write a book about the gospel and sell it for profit?

::)

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]