[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: The Work of Regeneration  (Read 1818 times)

Davis

• I'm a llama!
The Work of Regeneration
« on: December 16, 2003, 09:18:13 AM »
Is regeneration a work of God? And if it is, are the results of this regeneration a work of God. For example, our repentence, deeds, and confession.

Bradley

Re:The Work of Regeneration
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2003, 01:04:32 PM »
>>>Is regeneration a work of God? And if it is, are the results of this regeneration a work of God. For example, our repentence, deeds, and confession. <<<

All by the work of God!

Titus 3:5
5   Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
6   Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;

Regeneration is an act which comes by the renewing of the Holy Spirit.  The Spirit does the work in our lives and we most certainly do not control the Spirit.  God does!

John 3:3
3   Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
4   Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
5   Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
6   That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7   Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
8   The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

The Bible is clear we are not born into spiritual life by our own will or effort.

John 1:12-13

12   But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13   Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

God gives the power to become a son of God and it is only by his mercy and his choosing that this happens.  The Bible also states very clearly that repentance is also a gift from God.

2 Timothy 2:24-26
24   And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
25   In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
26   And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

Regeneration proceeds repentance, deeds, and confession.  Without being made alive, we would not even recognize our own sin, nor would we ever begin to seek God.  Our salvation has been secured completely by the work of Christ and he draws us to the Father through the power of the Holy Spirit.  Even after we are saved we can know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God continues to work in us his good pleasure.  He will carry on to completion the good work he began in each of our lives.  He is the author and finisher of our faith.

Philippians 1:6
6   Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

Bradley

Chris

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2003, 08:16:19 AM »
Is regeneration a work of God? And if it is, are the results of this regeneration a work of God. For example, our repentence, deeds, and confession.

This is where some people differ. I think that almost all christians agree that Regeneration is a work of God. They differ on deeds being a work of God. This is because there are some scriptures which seem to show that we must be obedient or we will not be saved. It can get somewhat confusing to many.

Hebrews 5:9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

This seems to show that only those who obey him will receive salvation.

harald

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2003, 07:03:53 PM »
Yes. As it reads in e.g. the KJV it seems to teach "obey" is a condition or prerequisite to salvation. But in reality it does not. The word translated "obey" is a present active participle preceded by an article.

"...to all the ones rendering obedience (or "being obedient") to him..."

I believe this construction of the Spirit does not teach conditionalism but it simply gives a character description of the objects of Christ's finished work, those who reap the benefits of His doing and dying. And it is His work which makes them obedient, not that their obedience secures to them salvation at God's hand.

The verb for "to obey" does not describe any obedience or some blind obedience, but it means a submissive heeding of Christ's voice in the Scriptures as brought home to the heart and mind by His Spirit, especially the New Testament scriptures. And the form of the verb informs that the heeding is one of a continuous nature or character. It is habitual, it is simply the element of those who God sanctifies by His grace. And it is so, not as that the objects of that grace be sufficient in and of themselves to be habitually obedient to Christ the Lord, but only because the Holy Spirit works in them both the willing and the doing.

Harald

Davis

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2005, 05:56:36 AM »
>>>Is regeneration a work of God? And if it is, are the results of this regeneration a work of God. For example, our repentence, deeds, and confession. <<<

All by the work of God![/color]

Then why does Christ say to the woman "thy faith" hath made thee whole?

Lu 7:50 And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.

Matbe the results of regeneration are our own works? How did this woman's faith save her if it was Christ?

Bradley

Re: The Work of Regeneration
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2005, 02:23:01 PM »
>>>Then why does Christ say to the woman "thy faith" hath made thee whole?

Matbe the results of regeneration are our own works? How did this woman's faith save her if it was Christ?<<<

Luke 7:44-50
44 And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped [them] with the hairs of her head.
45 Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet.
46 My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment.
47 Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, [the same] loveth little.
48 And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven.
49 And they that sat at meat with him began to say within themselves, Who is this that forgiveth sins also?
50 And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.

Christ's faith is the only faith which could save her, and true believers will understand there is only ONE true saving faith which is the faith of Christ.

Ephesians 4:4-8
4 [There is] one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
6 One God and Father of all, who [is] above all, and through all, and in you all.
7 But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.
8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

Jesus had already regenerated this woman and given her the gift of faith -- Ephesians 2:8--.  This gift has become her own as she displays the evidence of regeneration which is belief in God.  You can not believe in God apart from the Spirit of God working faith in your life.

1 Corinthians 2:12
12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

This woman loved Jesus because he first loved her.  She understood the gift that had been given to her because she had been regenerated.

Bradley

andreas

• Gold Member
  • Helpless, look to Thee for grace
Re: The Work of Regeneration
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2005, 02:09:27 AM »
<<<Then why does Christ say to the woman "thy faith" hath made thee whole?>>>

Man will not come to Christ, not because of a physical or mental problems.He will not come because,

He is spiritually dead. Being dead in your sins..Col.2:13

He has a corrupt nature.Adam begat a son in his own likeness. Genesis 5:3
Who can bring a clean thing out of an unclean? John14:4
I was shapen in iniquity and in sin did my mother conceive me. Ps.51:5

Man has no understanding of God.There is none that understands.Romans 3:11

He has a totally depraved will.You will not come that you may have life. John 5:40

So natural man will not come to Christ, and those that do come, they have been regenerated.

No one can come, except the father that send me draw him.John 6:44

Back to the woman in Luke.The point is, that she came,so she experienced,by the grace of God, regeneration .,Because of that she had the faith of Christ,otherwise she would have been spiritually, as dead as the dodo bird,and would not have come.

andreas. 8)
kai ean diabainhs dió udatos meta sou eimi kai potamoi ou sugklusousin se kai ean dielqhs dia puros ou mh katakauqhs flox ou katakausei Isaiah 43:2

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • Psalms 52:8
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 09:00:26 AM »

All by the work of God![/color]

Then why does Christ say to the woman "thy faith" hath made thee whole?

Good question. I think Christ says this because it is her faith by possession. Christ gave her faith and so she believes. It was a gift of God 'to her" and that is why she has it. Or you can reverse engineer the statement and see that her salvation was because of her faith. We know salvation is because of the faith of Christ and not our own works, and so we understand that faith she had was a gift of that she would be saved. Plus you must reconcile thart verse wityh this one.

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Ephesians 2:8"

So our salvation is not of ourselves or dependent on my own faith, "our" faith is a gift from God.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]