[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Do Christians Receive Rewards for Works - 1st Corinthians 3:15  (Read 22463 times)

GoldRush

Re: Do Christians Receive Rewards for Works - 1st Corinthians 3:15
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2005, 09:32:49 PM »
Arnold 

Come on guys. Joe does have a point. Can anyone explain explain James 2:17 where it says very clearly that "Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone."

A truly regenerated Christian will walk the talk.

James 2:17 is understood in context of James 1:22, immediately preceding:

"Be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves."

Good works (fruits of the Holy Spirit [Gal. 5:20-22&23]) are the evidence of salvation . . .never the means[/b] to finding or maintaining salvation.

James 2:17 warns against empty professions of faith from hypocrites who ". . draw near to Me with their mouth, and honor Me with their lips, but their heart is far from me."  Matthew 15:8, Isaiah 29:13

"For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness have not submitted to the righteousness of God."  Romans 10:3

A person should not do good works to get saved, or to stay saved, but a Christian produces the good works (righteousness of God) because he is saved.

"For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are the sons of God."  Romans 8:14

"Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God."  Philippians 1:11

"Being found in Him, not having my own righteousness ("good works"), which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith."  Philippians 3:9

J&R

GoldRush
". . Without Me, you can do nothing."
  John 15:5

Bradley

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2005, 10:45:13 PM »
2 Thessalonians 2:11-12
11 Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of [this] calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of [his] goodness, and the work of faith with power:
12 That the name of our Lord Jesus Christ may be glorified in you, and ye in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.

If God is the One who fulfils the good pleasure of His goodness and He is the one who fulfils the work of faith with power, then we must realize the faith precedes the works.  It is God moving and working within us to produce these good works and it is Him who should receive the glory.

2 Timothy 1:19
19 Who hath saved us, and called [us] with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

Ephesians 2:10
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Philippians 1:6
6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform [it] until the day of Jesus Christ:

Hebrews 13:20-21
20 Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,
21 Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom [be] glory for ever and ever. Amen.

The Bible teaches us that it is Jesus who have begun a good work in us and He will perform it until the very end.  He is the One who has ordained the very works we shall walk in since before the foundation of the world.  He is the one who makes us perfect in every good work to do his will as contrasted by those who will perform dead works.

Hebrews 9:14
14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

Matthew 7:21-23
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

This very issue is what the book of James addresses those who are producing works outside the faith of Christ.

James 2:5
Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?

Who are the heirs of the kingdom?  Who are the true elect?  Who are the ones who have truly been called?  Who are the ones who God is truly working through?

Is it those who look the part? James 2:2-3

No! It is only those who produce works by the perfect faith of Christ because no other work would be accepted by God.

James 2:10
For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one [point], he is guilty of all.

God has chosen the poor in Spirit (Matthew 5:3), the meek, and the lowly who will understand it is not by their works, but only by the One perfect work performed by Jesus Christ.

James 2:21
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

Abraham was not justified by his work, but by Christ's work.  Abraham was a man of faith who walked in the perfect faith and righteousness of Christ, so the work he performed was really Christ working in him, and thus it was accepted by God.

Romans 4:1-5
1 What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found?
2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath [whereof] to glory; but not before God.
3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.
4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.
5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

It was not Abraham's work, it was his belief in God (which was a gift from God anyway Eph. 2:8 ) which counted unto him for righteousness.

Our prayer should be for Christ to establish us in every good word and work.

2 Thessalonians 2:16-17
16 Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God, even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given [us] everlasting consolation and good hope through grace,
17 Comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work.

Bradley

Beechwood

• Fishers of Men
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2005, 03:52:58 AM »
Both Roman Catholicism and Arminianism are works doctrines because neither relies upon the grace of God for salvation, but upon man's own efforts. This cannot be grace.

2 Timothy chapter 1 verse 9
 "Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,"

According to his own purpose, not ours. It cannot be both by grace and works.

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2005, 07:11:22 AM »
>>>
Come on guys. Joe does have a point. Can anyone explain explain James 2:17 where it says very clearly that 'Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.'
<<<

I'm sure that no one denies this, as it's the "authoritative" truth of the word of God. Faith without works is dead, because it is not the faith of the living Christ. It is man's faith alone, or man's faith "apart" from the faith of Christ. In James 2:17 God is illustrating that those who are truly saved "will have works" because good works follow those who are saved, as an "evidence" that they are not alone, but having Christ in them. Any faith that doesn't have the works of Christ attached to it is man's own dead faith, which cannot save.

For example, years ago when a Japanese kamikaze pilot would put his plane into a dive direct into a ship and kill himself in the process, he had faith that by this he'd go to the great better place beyond. That's the very real faith of man, but it is dead faith, not being a part of faith of the work of Christ. Or again, in our day as terrorist suicide bombers in the middle east drive cars loaded with explosives into a crowd of people, believing that Allah will give them many virgins and they'll all be blessed. Yes, they have a "very real" faith or belief. But it is a dead faith, not being mixed with the "work" of Christ which gives it life. Without Christ's atoning work of faith, our faith is dead faith. It's alone, or without the efficacy of Christ. It can never be the living faith that justifies the soul. It's not the life giving, operative, effective faith of Christ that "will" produce good works. We're talking about "cause and effect." Christ in us is the cause, good works are the effects.

James 2:26
  • "For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also."

A body that doesn't have the spirit or breath of life in it is physically dead. Likewise, a body that doesn't have the spirit of God within it, is spiritually dead and cannot do good works that are acceptable to God. He has faith, but without works. Works naturally follow all true believers as an "evidence" (not the reason) of his salvation. Christ put it another way when He said that a "tree is known by it's fruits." In other words, the fruits (or works) are the evidence that a tree is good or bad. If a tree brings forth thorns, that's evidence it's not a good tree. Likewise if it springs forth with good fruit, the good works then are "an" evidence (not thee evidence) it is a good tree.

James 2:17
  • "Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
  • Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works".

In other words, his works are a tangible evidence of his faith. While someone "depending" upon his own works, in truth has an evidence that he lacks real faith. That's why he's trying to "earn" his own rewards or earn his own salvation. Our faith is seen in our works or fruits, which are the effect. If we do the will of God, obey the word of God, and do not ignore scripture, then our works are an illustration that we have the faith of Christ in us. But one who says, I have faith (I am saved), and yet has no works of obedience or of keeping the word faithfully, he has dead faith, which is alone or not in communion with Christ. Dead faith is faith apart from the living Christ. Anyone can "say" I have faith. And the thousands of false Christian Churches testify to that undeniable truth.

James 2:19
  • "Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble."

Again God is demonstrating the principle that not everyone who says, "I believe," is really a true Believer. Even though there are a host of professing Christians who think we should accept that philosophy, God illustrates that is not the case. Even the devils believe in God, but the real (unpalatable) test of their spirit is that their works or fruits are evil, and thus cannot be of Christ. They are the Children of disobedience who routinely trample God's word under foot. The bring forth no good works, and yet the profess they are faithful believers. That's a dead faith professing God, not "saving faith." Our advice that works follow grace and do not merit us anything follow the authoritative word. The warning to "try the spirits," is sound, but not fashionable in our day.

1st John 4:1
  • "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world."

I know that many people attempt to use the book of James to put forth the idea that Abraham was "justified by his own works." And it may sound like that is what the passage really means. But that is an untenable and unbiblical position to be sure. Indeed, Abraham was justified by works. But it was not his own works, but he was justified by the work of Christ on the cross, and his works follow in Christ. They were the result of Christ in him. That is the justification (the only justification) that saves any of us. For scripture says no flesh is justified by works, and the most basic and fundamental law of sound hermeneutics is that scripture cannot contradict itself. We simply cannot say Abraham was justified by his own works, while at the same time professing that no flesh is justified by works. This is confusion and contradictory to scripture. Inconsistency is the hallmark of error. The scriptures are quite unambiguous on the matter. And this idea in particular was dealt with earlier in Romans.

• "What shall we say then that Abraham our father  as pertaining to the flesh  hath found?
  • For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.
  • For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God  and it was counted unto him for righteousness.
  • Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace  but of debt.
  • But to him that worketh not  but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly  his faith is counted for righteousness."

Here God "Clearly" tells us that whosoever receives a reward for works, it CANNOT be Grace. It's a debt God owed, not Grace. For Abraham was not justified by his own works making it a debt God owed him  He was justified by God's Grace. Therefore he had the Works of Christ, and therefore was his works counted unto him as RIGHTEOUS WORKS. Only in Christ are they righteous. he didn't work for his reward (debt), but his righteousness was counted unto Him because of Christ's work (Grace). That's why that last verse says He who "worketh not" but believeth on Him that justifieth the ungodly  his faith is counted unto him for righteousness. You see  when He believed  then his justification was complete in Christ where his works followed.

Many will say unto the Lord on that Great day  "Lord Lord " protesting that they are Christians and had done His works, and the Lord will say depart from Me, I never knew you. That's not what I say, that's what God says. And the reason is these people are those who had faith without works. They claimed the name of Christ, but denied Him by denying His holy Word. They never truly "knew" Christ. We show we know Christ by our fruit. If we have faithfulness, we know Christ. If we are unfaithful to the word and have a contrite heart, we're just kidding ourselves. Our faith is without the work of Christ, and being alone, it is dead.

nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Glenda

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2005, 09:56:56 AM »
  This is a very interesting subject to me , I sumarize it like this "If there is LIFE, there will be signs of life" or if there is salvation, there will be works!
 I know of 3 different senarios, one is Cousin Johnny, he  was saved when he was 12, he's 35 now and he lives like a heathen, but he walked an aisle and said a prayer, so his mama says hes saved...hummmm...sure doesnt seem to be, of course God looks on the heart, but are'nt we supposta inspect fruit?
 Then there's cousin Sue, now she reads her bible, never wears short skirts, doesnt even go to the movies, but never tells anyone that shes a christian, she doesnt  go to church, if the subject comes up shes quick to tell everyone how wrong they are, and there is NO love in her , in fact shes a very bitter, lonely person? Outwardly, you see no signs that shes a christian.
Then theres you neighbor , Bonnie, she goes to some church, shes kind, she always seems to be there when someone needs her, why even when Mrs. Johnsons husband went to jail, Bonnie was there comforting, reading scripture , praying with her, she even loaned Mrs. J. $10, and never condemned, or mocked Mrs. J in any way , just loved her.
 Which one is saved , or are either of them saved? I think Cousin Sue has a headful of "head knowledge", but no heart knowledge. Poor old Johnny is just decieved, and probly so is his mama. What about Bonnie, she says shes a christian, but her church is arminian, and they dont even know what there escatalogical view is...
But who am I to say "your not a christian" ?  I just keep looking for signs of life and pray for them, because God works on HIS timing , not mine.
There is definatly a difference when someone does a work apart from God, and when its done by God through you.  IMHO, where there is life, there will be signs of life, not imitation life , real life , and there is a difference. When works is no longer works , but the grace of God.
And all the inhabitants of the earth [are] reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and [among] the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou? Daniel 4:35

Joe Johnson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2005, 06:06:21 PM »
Because that would mean that we were false christians and didn't really care about our brothers and sisters. We show our love for them in that we prove their beliefs are in error by the scriptures that they might be corrected and instructed in the truth.

Does that mean that you tell other christians that they are sinners and that their doctrines are wrong? How many christians do you know that corrected themselves when you told them their doctrines were false? How many Catholics have switched to Protestant? How many people in the Charismatic movement have switched over to the reformed camp? People don't respond when you say their doctrines are false. Maybe you should try compassion instead of warning them of hell fire?

1 John 4:18 "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love".

Joe Johnson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2005, 06:09:32 PM »
Is it implication, assumption, or simply misconception? First, "of course" Christ has work for His servants to do. vis a vis, the parable of the laborers in the field.

I understand the parable you cited. Yes, Jesus is saying just because you served God for many years, you shouldn't complain because someone who only served God one month before he died receives the same reward as you, that is  eternal life. That is the reward that all Christians receive for serving God. However, Jesus is talking about "workers", not people who just went out in the field to take a nap.

So please read the parable again and pay close attention on the words that Jesus used. A "worker" is someone who works. Why shouldn't they receive more reward if they deserve more?

When you comment on Hebrews 13:21 and 1st Corinthians 15:10 you aren't taking into consideration that Paul makes it clear that the "reason" he "works" more abundantly than all is "because" of the GRACE of God. God does not judge man's work in the same way as men do, however. He rewards those who do more, and gives less reward to those who do less.

Take the woman who gave the penny, and of whom Jesus said she did more work than the rich man who gave a hundred dollars. Again, it's about works. Jesus said we have to be careful not to do our "works" before men to be seen of them, but rather not to let your left hand know what your right hand is doing. We are saved by grace, but lets not turn his grace into a license to sin. God's word warns us not to do this?

Joe Johnson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2005, 06:18:19 PM »
How long you been here, Joe?  How much of this so-called "judging" have you observed?

Well, that would be a so-called "Rodney King" message . . . pleading, "can't we all just get along?"

~Getting along~  is not nearly important as obeying and proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ according to the Holy Scriptures!!!

Who is "we?"

~What~ is just "another doctrine of works?"  If you are supposedly "new" here, what exactly do you claim Warren is answering to?

Goldrush,  I can read, can't I? There are thousands of messages here, how many have you read? And the "we" are those of us who hold to the christian belief that works are required of God and there is no easy-believism that should be followed.

No I am not Roman Catholic, I am merely addressing the issue that many of you hold that they are not christians, and along with others hold to what many describe as a doctrine of works. I'm saying that works are necessary and we will be rewarded according to our works.

Oh . . .you are a Roman Catholic . . .supposedly "new here," . . .but apparently already familiar with Warren's argument against Roman Catholics.
Your argument is therefore knowledgeable and disingenous. . .and . . .

No, I am not Roman Catholic. If you are going to jump to conclusions on everything I say, please just ignore my posts. You might actually wait until I make more than one post before jumping down my throat.

Joe Johnson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2005, 06:21:29 PM »

"Teach me thy way, O Lord; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name." Psalm 86:11

The devil knows with his mind that Jehovah is God; but he does not know that with his heart. Hence the prayer here: Unite my heart to fear Thy name.
Unless our hearts say that we must and we want to walk in His way, the way He has set before us by His act of creating us, we will not walk in the truth.

andreas. 8)

So you are saying that we should condemn other Church groups because they don't agree with our views? Maybe they think they are walking in the truth also?

Joe Johnson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2005, 06:24:23 PM »
Come on guys. Joe does have a point. Can anyone explain explain James 2:17 where it says very clearly that "Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone."

Thank you Arnold. That's a good verse. It shows that works are a requirement and easy-believism does not work in Christianity. I wonder if any of them can address james 2:21 also.

James 2:21 "Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar"?

Joe Johnson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2005, 06:38:27 PM »
If God is the One who fulfils the good pleasure of His goodness and He is the one who fulfils the work of faith with power, then we must realize the faith precedes the works.  It is God moving and working within us to produce these good works and it is Him who should receive the glory.

You say faith precedes work, so you don't agree that faith is a work, correct? I want to make sure I understand you before I proceed. Because something can't precede what it already is.

This very issue is what the book of James addresses those who are producing works outside the faith of Christ.

But works are required.

James 2:25 "Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way"?

Rhab the harlot was justified by works. So why say I, Roman catholicism and other religious groups are wrong for saying the same thing said here?

No! It is only those who produce works by the perfect faith of Christ because no other work would be accepted by God.

Then where is responsibility? You are describing easy-believism. If you say no matter what someone does, he doesn't have to do any good works to be saved, then you have people living any way they want without regard to good works. Is that the right thing to do and teach?

It was not Abraham's work, it was his belief in God (which was a gift from God anyway Eph. 2:8 ) which counted unto him for righteousness.

Bradley, Please address the scripture that says Abraham was justified by works.

Joe Johnson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2005, 06:45:38 PM »
  This is a very interesting subject to me , I sumarize it like this "If there is LIFE, there will be signs of life" or if there is salvation, there will be works!

Glenda, It's interesting to me also. But if works are a result of salvation, then why does God say that we will be judged "according to our works"?  You see, there is a problem there, isn't it?

But who am I to say "your not a christian" ?

Exactly! Who are we to say Jews aren't saved? Who are we to say Roman Catholics have another gospel? Who are we to say Muslums have another god? We should mind our own business and do the works where we will be rewarded. Not hate other church or religious groups.

andreas

• Gold Member
  • Helpless, look to Thee for grace
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2005, 08:06:25 PM »

<<<So you are saying that we should condemn other Church groups because they don't agree with our views? Maybe they think they are walking in the truth also?>>>

They do not agree with our views? Our thinking, our opinion, our ideas, these are of no value. God rejects the idea that we can interpret the Scriptures to make them agree with what we have in our minds or our denominational doctrine. Our thinking, our opinion, our ideas, these are of no value.

"Which things also we speak, not in the words which man’s wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual."
1 Cor.2:13

andreas. 8)
kai ean diabainhs dią udatos meta sou eimi kai potamoi ou sugklusousin se kai ean dielqhs dia puros ou mh katakauqhs flox ou katakausei Isaiah 43:2

andreas

• Gold Member
  • Helpless, look to Thee for grace
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2005, 08:25:41 PM »
<<<I wonder if any of them can address james 2:21 also>>>

Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? James 2:21

Here is a verse that the work for salvation mob uses as their crowning verse. They pull out justified by works, and leave it there.  they totally ignore the second half of this verse. The verse shows us that the faith of Abraham was e alive and active. His trust in God was so strong, that he was willing to sacrifice his own son on God's orders. This verse does not contradict Romans 3:28, A man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law. and Romans 4:3, rather it combines the principles of both verses in showing us what a living faith is.  For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. Romans 4:3

andreas. 8)
kai ean diabainhs dią udatos meta sou eimi kai potamoi ou sugklusousin se kai ean dielqhs dia puros ou mh katakauqhs flox ou katakausei Isaiah 43:2

Bradley

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2005, 11:43:48 PM »
>>>You say faith precedes work, so you don't agree that faith is a work, correct? I want to make sure I understand you before I proceed. Because something can't precede what it already is.<<<

Joe,

I do not believe living faith is a work of man, but rather a work of God, and the reason I believe this is because it has been written in God's Word as such.

Hebrews 12:2
2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of [our] faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Jesus did the work for us, and then by grace gave us the ability to believe in him through the gift of faith.  For this very cause we have no reason to boast because Jesus Christ has done all the work.

Ephesians 2:8-10
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Not all have the spiritual ears to hear this message nor the meekness to bow before God's perfect Word.

>>>But works are required.<<<

Only Christ's perfect works are required.  All other works are dead and abominable in the sight of God.  We are not called to produce works apart from Christ.

Hebrews 4:10
10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God [did] from his.
11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

If we are trying to produce our own works, then we are operating in unbelief.  If we are resting in the Will of God for our lives, then Christ will produce good works in us as evidence of our salvation.

>>>James 2:25 "Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way"?

Rhab the harlot was justified by works. So why say I, Roman catholicism and other religious groups are wrong for saying the same thing said here?<<<

Galations 2:16
16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

No flesh includes Rahab.  She was not justified by her work, but rather the work of Christ in her life.  Consider the following verse of the same passage.

James 2:26
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Rahab's faith was not dead.  Her faith was alive in Christ, and thus her works were done within the faith of Christ.

Galations 2:19-20
19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.
20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Rahab was dead to the law and living unto God.  She was crucified with Christ and Christ was living in her.  She was living by the faith of the Son of God.

Hebrews 13:21
21 Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom [be] glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Jesus made Rahab perfect in this good work to do his will.  It was not Rahab's will, but God's will.  It was God working that which was wellpleasing in his sight for His glory.  Rahab was walking in the faith of Christ.

>>>Then where is responsibility? You are describing easy-believism.<<<

The responsibility was all placed upon Jesus Christ, and no, I do not believe it was easy for Him to face the wrath of God on our behalf.

Isaiah 53:11-12
11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, [and] shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.
12 Therefore will I divide him [a portion] with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

Yes, in a way it is easy, as Christ told us.

Matthew 11:28-29
27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and [he] to whomsoever the Son will reveal [him].
28 Come unto me, all [ye] that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30 For my yoke [is] easy, and my burden is light.

It is still a yoke, so we are still working, but the difference is we are joined with Christ and he is working through us.

John 15:5
5 I am the vine, ye [are] the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

>>>If you say no matter what someone does, he doesn't have to do any good works to be saved, then you have people living any way they want without regard to good works. Is that the right thing to do and teach?<<<

It's not about what we say, it's about what God's Word says.  If people are saved, then they will be producing fruit.  The fruit is the effect of the salvation not the cause.

Luke 6:43-46
43 For a good tree bringeth not forth corrupt fruit; neither doth a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
44 For every tree is known by his own fruit. For of thorns men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes.
45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.
46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

Only when Christ is in us, will we produce good fruit.  We die to ourselves and live to Him.  He is the good treasure within us which brings forth the good fruit.

2 Corinthians 4:5-7
5 For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.
6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to [give] the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

The glory should always be given to God because he is our source.

1 Corinthians 4:7
7 For who maketh thee to differ [from another]? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive [it], why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received [it]?

>>>Bradley, Please address the scripture that says Abraham was justified by works.<<<

It was already addressed by God's Word and posted in my first reply, but here it is again.

1 What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found?
2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath [whereof] to glory; but not before God.
3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.
4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.
5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Abraham was not justified by his work of the flesh, but by Christ's perfect working in him.  God owes him nothing because it was God who did the work in the first place.

2 Peter 3:18
18 But grow in grace, and [in] the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him [be] glory both now and for ever. Amen.

Bradley

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]