[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: What Is Love?  (Read 228 times)

R. Anspach

• No condemnation for those who are in Christ
What Is Love?
« on: November 03, 2017, 11:27:06 AM »
While I was witnessing to someone this week, I spoke of how we are to love and not hate. But I was taken aback by a question from the person who asked me the definition of love. What is love? Is it a feeling or is it a action. I didn't know how to answer that. Can anyone shed some light on this question. The world has one definition, but what is the Christian definition?
"But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith." Galatians 3:11

Maurice

Re: What Is Love?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 02:15:50 PM »
 :typing: No one knows the answer to the question of "what is love." If they did, they'd be a millionaire. It's the question that has baffled scholars for ages.

For what it's worth, my personal submission, love is just the adoration you feel for someone.

aquatic

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 06:09:00 PM »
I read an article on this site that had a great explanation of love. It is 1 Corinthians:13 (4-8)

Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

The article focused mainly on verse 6. While the world has its idea of love, it forgets to include verse 6. The world does not rejoice in the truth, which is Jesus Christ.

Halle

• "Because He Lives"
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 06:42:25 PM »
For what it's worth, my personal submission, love is just the adoration you feel for someone.

That's your personal opinion, and you are certainly entitled to it. But that's not the true definition of love, because Christ tells us to love our enemies, and we certainly do not have a adoration feeling for the ministers of Satan in my personal opinion. So the Christian definition is still a type of mystery for me.

Sojourner

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 12:18:25 AM »
I read an article on this site that had a great explanation of love. It is 1 Corinthians:13 (4-8)

6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

The article focused mainly on verse 6. While the world has its idea of love, it forgets to include verse 6. The world does not rejoice in the truth, which is Jesus Christ.

I don't know if I would call I Cor. 13 a definition, I look at those as more the features and attributes of love. For example, lots of unsaved people do not rejoice in iniquity and also have respect for the truth, but I wouldn't say they have or even know what love is. At least not the love that the bible talks about. God is love, and so I would say that only those who know God know love.

Joe Johnson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 06:59:32 AM »
We can only go by the dictionary, which defines love as

1. a intense feeling of deep affection: "babies fill parents with intense feelings of love"
   synonyms: deep affection, fondness, tenderness, warmth, intimacy,
2. a person or thing that one loves: "she was the love of his life"
   synonyms: beloved, loved one, love of one's life, dear, dearest.

Dan

• Dan the Man
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 08:10:25 AM »

Love makes the world go round  ;)

It's a mental and physical energy. Mostly summed up in our emotions and sentiments of strong affection for someone or something.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 01:02:09 AM »
Mostly summed up in our emotions and sentiments of strong affection for someone or something

Did you read Halle's post and God's command?

Mt 5:44
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

Is loving your enemy summed up in our emotions and sentiments of strong affection for them? It is not. So that cannot be the Christian definition of love. Christian love should not a matter of personal opinion or dictionary definitions.

Diane Moody

• The Kingdom is Within You
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 03:36:41 AM »
Tony Warren defined love in one of his posts as:

"selfless inclination, the gift you give wanting nothing in return, the earnest desire to do the will of God. That's why God commands, if you love me, keep my commandments. Since God is the personification of love."

His words, not mine. But I think that fits the "love our enemy" command of God very well. We have compassion for them as sinners just as Christ had compassion for us. If our enemies thirst we should give them water, if they hunger we should feed them. But they are not our family or of us, they aren't beloved, and they aren't adored and we do not have admiration for them. Tony says love is sacrificial or selfless charity and goodwill, even as a husband has to his wife (and vice versa). What do you think?

Joe Johnson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 05:30:21 AM »
I think it's trite and platitudinous, but it's what I would expect. Yes God is love, but would you be charitable to an abortionist? That's anarchy, not love. That's disobeying God's laws. We all know what love is. I love my wife, I hate murderers. God loves Jacob, He hates Esau. Simple.

Jon Thomas

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 12:45:42 PM »
Tony Warren defined love in one of his posts as:

"selfless inclination, the gift you give wanting nothing in return, the earnest desire to do the will of God. That's why God commands, if you love me, keep my commandments. Since God is the personification of love."

Yes, I agree. Love is sacrifice. No sacrifice, no love. That's why there is so much divorce. There is a lack of love in the relationships because neither wants to sacrifice. So there is no compromise. It's just my needs, my wants, my will. No consideration of anyone else's needs. And I'm talking about Christians. If a gift is given, something is wanted in return. That's not Love, that's trade.

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • Psalms 52:8
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 02:23:03 AM »
I agree with Tony. Also, I'll repost a message I made in the "Did Jephthah Sacrifice His Daughter" thread. It may shed some light on the Christian position on love.

To quote Thomas Doolittle.

"Love shows the true character of a man, according to the object which he loves more than anything else: for as is the love, so is the man. According to his love, so might you confidently designate the man. If he is a lover of honour, he is an ambitious man; a lover of pleasure, a sensual man; and if he chiefly love the world, he is a covetous man. If a man loves righteousness, he is a religious man; if the things above, a heavenly-minded man; and if he love Christ with a pre-eminent love, he is a sincere man: "Rightly do they love you.," Song of Songs 1:4.

If Christ has our love, he has our all; and Christ never has what he deserves from us, till he has our love. True love withholds nothing from Christ, when it is sincerely set upon him. If we actually love him, he will have our time, and he will have our service, and he will have the use of all our resources, and gifts, and graces; indeed, then he shall have our possessions, freedom, and our very lives, whenever he calls for them. In the same way, when God loves any of us, he will withhold nothing from us that is good for us. He does not hold back his own only begotten Son, Rom.8:32. When Christ loves us, he gives us everything we need-- his merits to justify us, his Spirit to sanctify us, his grace to adorn us, and his glory to crown us. Therefore, when any of us love Christ sincerely, we lay everything down at his feet, and give up all to be at his command and service: "And they loved not their lives unto the death," Rev. 12:11.

An extract from the book by Thomas Doolittle: Love to Christ

Kevin Wright

• Always Reforming
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 04:42:34 AM »
We can only go by the dictionary,

Why?  You may only go by the dictionary, the rest of us will define love by God's terms.

which defines love as

1. a intense feeling of deep affection:

Infatuation can be defined as a intense feeling of deep attraction, but it's not love. Love is not the same as infatuation, except in the world's definition of it. God commands love, he does not command infatuation. I love my enemies, but I don't have a intense feeling of deep affection for them. You see what I mean? Because God's love is different from the world's definition of it.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 01:29:33 PM »
We can only go by the dictionary, which defines love as

1. a intense feeling of deep affection:

You may only go by the dictionary, the rest of us will define love by God's terms.

Infatuation can be defined as a intense feeling of deep attraction, but it's not love. Love is not the same as infatuation, except in the world's definition of it.

:iagree: Both the world and a majority of the Christian community define love with what is in effect infatuation. That's why they "fall out of" love (infatuation) where they can no longer tolerate their spouse and end up leaving and divorcing. Along with the love of Christian marriage comes sacrifice and commitment. A marriage covenant is a promise or oath that cannot be broken. It requires sacrifice, just as Christ sacrificed for us. I don't care what any Pastor says, their is no lawful divorce in Christian love. Else Christ would have divorced the church long ago. But his love is unconditional, which is what Christian or Christlike love is.

Mt 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Christian love is not conditional, it's sacrificial, which is why we are commanded to love our enemies.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]