[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Why Callest Thou Me Good? - Mark 10:18  (Read 223 times)

NeutralZone

• The 66 books of the Bible are my only authority.
Why Callest Thou Me Good? - Mark 10:18
« on: August 21, 2015, 01:49:02 AM »
Mar 10:17  And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?
Mar 10:18  And .Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God
Mar 10:19   Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.
Mar 10:20   And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth.
Mar 10:21  Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.
Mar 10:22  And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.

In verse 18, I was wondering why Jesus asked the man for calling Him good?  I know that Jesus is God and He is good, but why did he ask man anyway?

In verse 22, the man was sad and went away from Jesus, worrying about his wealth. But the question is the man truly saved regardless because Jesus loved him in verse 21? Does it means the man is saved?

Thanks in advance for your thought.

Erik Diamond

Erik Diamond:

Are you sure you want the answer to your question as to why Jesus asked the man at Mark 10:18 "Why do you call me good"?  Because I get the impression you are contradicting Jesus Christ when you insist (in the portion bolded in purple):  "I know that Jesus is God and He is good."

At Mark 10:17, the man addressed Jesus Christ as "Good Master."  At Mark 10:18, Jesus replied:  "Why do you call me good? There is none good but one, that is, God."

Jesus clearly told that man that he (Jesus Christ) is not the one that should take the credit for being good.  In fact he went so far as to tell the man: "there is none good but one, that is, God."   Simply put, Jesus Christ was telling the man that he is NOT God.

NeutralZone
". . . be swift about hearing, slow about speaking, slow about wrath. . . . " (James 1:19-20)

Frank Mortimer

Re: Why Callest Thou Me Good? - Mark 10:18
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 07:06:05 PM »
Are you sure you want the answer to your question as to why Jesus asked the man at Mark 10:18 "Why do you call me good"? Jesus clearly told that man that he (Jesus Christ) is not the one that should take the credit for being good.  In fact he went so far as to tell the man: "there is none good but one, that is, God."   Simply put, Jesus Christ was telling the man that he is NOT God.

NeutralZone

Are you sure you want to know why Jesus asked the man at Mark 10:18 "Why do you call me good?" Because I get the impression you are either trolling or contradicting Jesus Christ when you make such outrageous claims.

Hebrews 4:15 "For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin."
 Hebrews 9:28 So "Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation."

If Christ was without sin as God's word says, then he is righteous and in fact perfect, and thus qualifies as good. So you are making an unlearned assumption that Jesus Christ was telling the man that he was not God. On the contrary, he is demonstrating in His question that this man needs to understand exactly who Jesus was if He was good as the man claims. If he was good, then he was God, which he was. In other words, if Christ was good, He was God.  :BibleRead:

NeutralZone

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 09:17:44 PM »
Are you sure you want the answer to your question as to why Jesus asked the man at Mark 10:18 "Why do you call me good"? Jesus clearly told that man that he (Jesus Christ) is not the one that should take the credit for being good.  In fact he went so far as to tell the man: "there is none good but one, that is, God."   Simply put, Jesus Christ was telling the man that he is NOT God.

NeutralZone

Are you sure you want to know why Jesus asked the man at Mark 10:18 "Why do you call me good?" Because I get the impression you are either trolling or contradicting Jesus Christ when you make such outrageous claims.

Frank Mortimer:

Me?  Contradicting Jesus Christ?  Nonsense.  I am agreeing with his sentiment in which he indicated that he is NOT God.  He was quite clear about what he meant, as stated at Mark 10:17-18:

"And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life? [18] And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.

NeutralZone
". . . be swift about hearing, slow about speaking, slow about wrath. . . . " (James 1:19-20)

NeutralZone

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 09:29:33 PM »
Hebrews 4:15 "For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin."
 Hebrews 9:28 So "Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation."

If Christ was without sin as God's word says, then he is righteous and in fact perfect, and thus qualifies as good. So you are making an unlearned assumption that Jesus Christ was telling the man that he was not God. On the contrary, he is demonstrating in His question that this man needs to understand exactly who Jesus was if He was good as the man claims. If he was good, then he was God, which he was. In other words, if Christ was good, He was God.  :BibleRead:

Frank Mortimer:

There is no doubt that Jesus Christ was without sin.  Scripture makes that clear.

1 Peter 2:21-22
"21  In fact, to this course you were called, because even Christ suffered for you, leaving you a model for you to follow his steps closely. 22 He committed no sin, nor was deception found in his mouth."

But none of that changes what he told the man at Mark 10:17-18, during which he would not take credit for being considered good.  Jesus realized that the ultimate example of “good” is in fact Jehovah, HIS God.

NeutralZone

Herman Stowe

• SBC
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 10:15:51 PM »
Frank Mortimer:

There is no doubt that Jesus Christ was without sin.  Scripture makes that clear.

But none of that changes what he told the man at Mark 10:17-18

NeutralZone

No, but it changes your assumption to being a contradiction. Because one who is perfect and without sin is by definition, Good! So you're making no sense. Sin is the transgression of the law. If there is no sin, then Christ was good. And if Christ was indeed good, then he was God. Frank is absolutely right. If Christ was good (which even you admit by saying that he was perfect and never sinned) then he was God. For God is the only man who never sinned.

There is no such thing as a man who never committed sin, unless that man was God. You can't have it both ways. Thus only God is good! The God man Jesus Christ is the only man who was good.

Why call him God?

Because he is God, that's why. Christ was making that point to Him, and to all of us.

Halle

• "Because He Lives"
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 10:23:22 PM »
 :Goodpoint:   :iagree:   &TY 

NeutralZone

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 11:11:56 PM »
Frank Mortimer:

But none of that changes what he told the man at Mark 10:17-18

NeutralZone

No, but it changes your assumption to being a contradiction. Because one who is perfect and without sin is by definition, Good! So you're making no sense. Sin is the transgression of the law. If there is no sin, then Christ was good. And if Christ was indeed good, then he was God. Frank is absolutely right. If Christ was good (which even you admit by saying that he was perfect and never sinned) then he was God. For God is the only man who never sinned.

Herman Stowe:

Obviously, your definition of "good" is not the same as Jesus', because he was quite clear that only Almighty God  Jehovah is the ultimate expression of "good." 

Mark 10:17-18:
"And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life? [18] And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.

None of your arguments can overcome what Jesus said.  Clearly, if he were God, he would not have answered the man as he did.  Your refusing to be corrected by scripture--in Jesus' own words--is hardly my problem, now is it?

NeutralZone

NeutralZone

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 11:30:47 PM »
There is no such thing as a man who never committed sin, unless that man was God. You can't have it both ways. Thus only God is good! The God man Jesus Christ is the only man who was good.

Herman Stowe:

The Bible makes it clear that God is not a man. 

Numbers 23:19 -- New Living Translation
God is not a man, so he does not lie. He is not human, so he does not change his mind. Has he ever spoken and failed to act? Has he ever promised and not carried it through?”

Jesus became a human.  So who do you expect me to believe?  The Bible--which is inspired of Jehovah and given for our instructions and correction?

2 Timothy 3:16 -- New Living Translation
"All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.

Or do you expect me to put Trinitarian philosophy aka traditions of men ahead of scripture?

Let me know.

NeutralZone

NeutralZone

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 11:38:43 PM »
Because he is God, that's why. Christ was making that point to Him, and to all of us.

Herman Stowe:

Christ was making the point to the man that he is God, you said.  Really?  By diverting attention away from himself and telling the man the following?

According to you, Jesus pointing out to the man that he is God by saying the above--telling the man, in so many words: "Don't call me good because you are telling it to the wrong person.  You need to tell it to God." 

That is a strange way of telling someone you are God.

NeutralZone

Herman Stowe

• SBC
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 05:35:46 AM »

Obviously, your definition of "good" is not the same as Jesus'

:Fighting: No, Christ's definition of good is the same as God's definition of good, which is to be "without sin." You're the only one I hear redefining the word good. The fact is, if Christ wasn't good, then he was a sinner. So you're not only being illogical and fallacious, but specious. It's sad when we lose our sense of honesty when debating scripture.

Psalms 53:2-3
"God looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, that did seek God. Every one of them is gone back: they are altogether become filthy; there is none that doeth good, no, not one."

There isn't a single man that was good and without sin. And that was the case until Christ came to remedy that situation as the only "good man," because he had no sin. Because He was God in the flesh. So you can contradict God's word all you want, but if God says there is no man that is without sin and good, and you yourself admit that Christ was without sin and the only righteous man, then Christ was by definition, a good man.

Hebrews 4:15
"For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin."

It is you who are redefining what good is, not God. Good is to be righteous, approved, without sin. No man is good they were all as filthy, and so Christ couldn't be a mere man. Good in God's eyes is having absolutely no "bad" within you. So any doctrine that teaches that Christ wasn't good is a false gospel, not a Christian doctrine.

And everyone knows that, except apparently you.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 07:04:41 AM »
NeutralZone

Nothing strange about it. God's Word is not strange, His ways are just "different" from yours. The spiritual man understands that which is spiritual.

Pr 25:2  It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.

Joh 11:7 Then after that saith he to his disciples, Let us go into Judaea again.
 8 His disciples say unto him, Master, the Jews of late sought to stone thee; and goest thou thither again?
 9 Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world.
 10 But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him.

What a strange way of telling someone of the enlightenment of the Word? No, nothing strange about it. To some it is given to know the mysteries of God's Word, but to others it is not given. Which is why the blind sought to stone Him, while those called understood He was in fact the only true Holy and righteous one of God.

Any doctrine that teaches our Lord Jesus Christ is not God is heresy. The fact is, if Christ is not your God, then you have no savior, because there is no man who can save.

Psalms 146:3
"Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help."

If Christ was  not divine but simply a man, there is no help from Him for us. Looking to a man to be your Savior is to be uninformed and very foolish. A man can't even save himself, much less all the elect people in the world. It takes God to carry all those sins of man on Himself and pay the wages of them and be risen again from the dead without them. It takes God to be without sin, to be pure, to be holy and righteous, to be perfect and good. Only God qualifies as man's Savior. Without Jesus Christ as God, you have no Savior.

Isa 43:11 I, even I, am Jehovah; and beside me there is no saviour.

Despite what you've been spoon fed, we're not telling you anything God has not already stated. He is the only savior, so if you are looking for a mere man to save you, you are looking in vain since no man is sinless, righteous or good. Only God is. Without God as your Savior, you have no Savior. If Christ is not God, you have no Savior and are preaching heresy.

Joh 8:57 Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?
 58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
 59 Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

How is it that even these men understood Christ was saying that He was God, and so were going to stone Him, and yet you irrationally He even intimated it?  Are you smarter than them or blinder than them?

John 1:10-12
"He was in the World, and the world was made by Him, and the world knew Him not.
He came unto His own, and His own received Him not.
But as many as received Him to them gave He power to become the Sons of God, even to them which believe on His name:"

How foolish would we be to think that a man made the world. This speaks of Christ as the one who made the world, and yet was not received of Israel. The hard heart never receives scripture, but nevertheless, scripture is very clear on who Christ is, was and will be.

Philippians 2:5-9

"Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
Who, Being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
But made Himself of no reputation, and took upon Himself the form of a servant, and was made in the Likeness of Men:
And being found in fashion as a Man, He humbled Himself and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
Wherefore God hath also highly exalted Him, and given Him a name which is above every name."

What else is there to say?

NeutralZone

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 11:16:22 AM »

Herman Stowe:

Nothing you have said thus far changes the fact that Jesus Christ diverted attention away from himself and informed the man that only God is good.  You are trying to talk your way around scripture where Jesus indicated he is NOT God.

Mark 10:18 is a nail in the coffin for Trinitarian philosophy. 

NeutralZone

NeutralZone

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2015, 11:24:42 AM »
Psalms 53:2-3
"God looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, that did seek God. Every one of them is gone back: they are altogether become filthy; there is none that doeth good, no, not one."

There isn't a single man that was good and without sin. And that was the case until Christ came to remedy that situation as the only "good man," because he had no sin. Because He was God in the flesh. So you can contradict God's word all you want, but if God says there is no man that is without sin and good, and you yourself admit that Christ was without sin and the only righteous man, then Christ was by definition, a good man.

Hebrews 4:15
"For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin."

It is you who are redefining what good is, not God. Good is to be righteous, approved, without sin. No man is good they were all as filthy, and so Christ couldn't be a mere man. Good in God's eyes is having absolutely no "bad" within you. So any doctrine that teaches that Christ wasn't good is a false gospel, not a Christian doctrine.

And everyone knows that, except apparently you.

Herman Stowe:

Scripture makes it abundantly clear that God is not a man.  The Trinitarian claim that Christ is "God in the flesh" or "God incarnate" is contradicted by the inspired word of Jehovah.

Numbers 23:19 -- New Living Translation
God is not a man, so he does not lie. He is not human, so he does not change his mind. Has he ever spoken and failed to act? Has he ever promised and not carried it through?”

I previously quoted that scripture to you and asked you a question for which you have no answer.  Below is the question again, this time, written in more detail.

Who do you expect me to believe?  Should I believe the Bible--written by divine inspiration from Jehovah--when it says "God is not a man"?  Or should I believe man-made Trinitarian dogma that was formalized in the 4th century AD, more than 300 years after the Bible was written and more than 300 years after Jesus returned to heavenly life?  Do you expect me to put traditions of men ahead of scripture?

NeutralZone

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2015, 11:40:51 AM »
Quote from: NeutralZone
Scripture makes it abundantly clear that God is not a man.

1Jn 4:1-3
(1)  Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
(2)  Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
(3)  And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

NeutralZone

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2015, 12:00:24 PM »
NeutralZone

Nothing strange about it. God's Word is not strange, His ways are just "different" from yours. The spiritual understand that which is spiritual.

Reformer:

Clearly you don't get it that I was being sarcastic when I commented that it was a strange way for Jesus to say he is God by diverting attention away from himself and telling the man, in so many words:  "Don't refer to me as good.  There is only one person who is good, and that person is God."

The point I was making is that Jesus would not have used that language--diverting attention away from himself--if he was Almighty God. 

NeutralZone

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]