[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: "Unbelief" in the Bible  (Read 2115 times)

laurenp

• Obviously I'm a Novice
"Unbelief" in the Bible
« on: October 03, 2014, 01:00:54 PM »
What exactly does the sin of unbelief consist of? Is it disbelieving that the bible is real, like atheists, etc? Or is it something more? Is it disbelieving that Christ died for you? I'm confused as to the thorough makeup of the sin of unbelief. What kind of unbelief is it that angers God so?

clark thompson

Re: "Unbelief" in the Bible
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 07:00:45 PM »
To reject the bible is to reject God had it written for us. I think all them are the sin of unbelief.
the best form of worship is to be in the will of God

lpowell

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 08:28:03 PM »
Lauren, do you have a particular passage in mind?  There are plenty of examples in the Old Testament of not believing the prophets.  Most reap the physical punishment due Old Covenant disobedience.  Sometimes I wonder if even the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit can be properly understood without placing it in the context of the approaching end of the Old Covenant law of National Israel.  We must recognize that we are moving into the end of the church age.  Just like the the end of National Israel, and like the time of the flood, it must be characterized by universal unbelief so that God will be justified in destroying and recreating his chosen body.

Lloyd

Susan

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 09:27:35 AM »

A lot of people say sin is unbelief. Is that correct?

Frank Mortimer

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 07:13:26 AM »

A lot of people say sin is unbelief. Is that correct?

Unbelief is sin, but sin is not unbelief. You can believe and still sin, so sin cannot be unbelief.

"Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
I John 3:4"

Sin is forsaking God's law.  But unbelief will cause you to sin.

Frank Mortimer

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 07:19:04 AM »
What exactly does the sin of unbelief consist of? Is it disbelieving that the bible is real, like atheists, etc? Or is it something more? Is it disbelieving that Christ died for you? I'm confused as to the thorough makeup of the sin of unbelief. What kind of unbelief is it that angers God so?

I think the sin of unbelief consists of those who call themselves servants of God but who do not believe unto salvation. They have no real faith and so no real belief.

"But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, whose carcases fell in the wilderness? And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not? So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief. Hebrews 3:17-19"

Laura Tomlinson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 11:07:03 AM »
What exactly does the sin of unbelief consist of? Is it disbelieving that the bible is real, like atheists, etc?

No

Is it disbelieving that Christ died for you?

Jesus said that "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

Therefore, the sin of unbelief is failure to believe on Christ. That means every religion that doesn't have Christ as the way, Truth and Life is in unbelief.

Reformed Baptist

• Reformed Baptists
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 12:52:48 PM »
What exactly does the sin of unbelief consist of?

THEY COULD NOT ENTER IN BECAUSE OF UNBELIEF

by Dr. R. L. Hymers, Jr.

A sermon preached at the Baptist Tabernacle of Los Angeles
Lord’s Day Morning, February 19, 2012

“To whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not? So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief” (Hebrews 3:18-19).

The Israelites had been called out of Egypt to go into the promised land of Canaan. Egypt was a type or illustration of sin. Canaan was a type of Heaven. Dr. John Gill (1697-1771) said that Canaan “was a type of heaven, that rest from toil and labour, which remains for the people of God; and into which it is said this generation did not enter” (John Gill, D.D., An Exposition of the New Testament, volume III, The Baptist Standard Bearer, 1989 reprint, p. 391; comment on Hebrews 3:11).

“So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest”
       (Hebrews 3:11).

Matthew Poole (1624-1679) said of this verse, “They shall never enter into my rest. If they enter in, then I am neither true nor God. The rest literally was the land of Canaan, Deuteronomy 12:9; in the truth of that type, heaven...this is a shutting them out of all peace, into eternal sorrow, anguish, distress, and trouble, and every other evil contrary unto this rest” (Matthew Poole, A Commentary on the Whole Bible, volume III, The Banner of Truth Trust, 1990 reprint, p. 821; comment on Hebrews 3:11).

That is what it meant when God said, “I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest” (Hebrews 3:11). The ancient rabbis said, “The generation of the wilderness have no part in the world to come.”

Why were those who wandered in the wilderness prevented from entering the promised land of Canaan? Our text says, “They could not enter in because of unbelief” (Hebrews 3:19). Commenting on that verse, Spurgeon said, “Canaan is a type to us of the great and goodly things of the covenant of grace which belong to believers; but if we have no faith, we cannot possess a single covenant blessing...the unbelieving must have their portion in the fiery lake. Oh, that God would deliver them from the dreadful sin of unbelief!” (C. H. Spurgeon, “An Earnest Warning Against Unbelief,” The Metropolitan Tabernacle Pulpit, volume LVI, Pilgrim Publications, 1979 reprint, p. 470; comment on Hebrews 3:18-19).

“To whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not? So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief” (Hebrews 3:18-19).

Why should you be concerned about what happened long centuries ago to those unbelieving Israelites in the wilderness? Because,

“All these things happened unto them for ensamples [examples]: and they are written for our admonition [instruction]...” (I Corinthians 10:11).

The account of unbelieving Israel dying in the wilderness, not able to enter the rest of Canaan, was given to us for an example. If you expect to enter salvation and Heaven, you will not do so if you fail to believe in Jesus. Unless you come to Jesus by faith, it will be said of you, “they could not enter in because of unbelief” (Hebrews 3:19).

Terrell Meyer

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 05:05:24 PM »

"In all unbelief there are these two things: a good opinion of one's self and a bad opinion of God. Man's good opinion of himself makes him think it quite possible to win God's favor by his own religious performances; and his bad opinion of God makes him unwilling and afraid to put his case wholly into God's hands. The object of the Holy Spirit's work (in convincing of sin) is to alter the sinner's opinion of himself and so to reduce his estimate of his own character that he shall think of himself as God does, and so cease to suppose it possible that he can be justified by any excellency of His own. The Spirit then alters his evil opinion of God, so as to make him see that the God with whom he really has to do is the God of all grace!" by Horatius Bonar

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 05:27:14 PM »

I looked up this word and what it really means is faithlessness or without faith. There are 16 instances of the word unbelief in the Bible, and it can be argued that they all pertain to the congregation of God. What's really interesting is that God doesn't speak of the heathen nations as those in unbelief or faithlessness. So I don't think it pertains to atheists. The children of Israel died in faithlessness. They died in unbelief.

Ro 3:3 For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect?
 Ro 4:20 He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;
 Ro 11:20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:
 Ro 11:23 And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again.
 Ro 11:30 For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief:
 Ro 11:32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.
 1Ti 1:13 Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.
 Heb 3:12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.
 Heb 3:19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.
 Heb 4:6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
 Heb 4:11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 06:05:24 PM »

Jesus said that "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

Therefore, the sin of unbelief is failure to believe on Christ. That means every religion that doesn't have Christ as the way, Truth and Life is in unbelief.

Or to put it another way, unbelief is a lack of faith.

Nu 14:11  And the LORD said unto Moses, How long will this people provoke me? and how long will it be ere they believe me, for all the signs which I have shewed among them?
 12 I will smite them with the pestilence, and disinherit them, and will make of thee a greater nation and mightier than they.

Their unbelief was a lack of faith and as a result many of God's congregation could not enter into the promised land.

Frank Mortimer

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 09:27:15 PM »
hmmmmmmm  :BibleRead: Interesting, but not proven.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 12:21:02 AM »

You'll notice also when God says the children of disobedience, he uses the same word. But when he just talks about disobedience, he uses the other word. Think that's coincidence? Children of disobedience are the children of faithlessness, the children of unbelief. Same word.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]