[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: 1 Timothy 5 v 24 & 25  (Read 1967 times)

Puritan Heart

1 Timothy 5 v 24 & 25
« on: January 18, 2011, 02:11:30 PM »
Greetings all,

My questions come from the following scripture:

1 Timothy 5 v 24 - Some men's sins are open beforehand, going before to judgment; and some [men] they follow after.
25 - Likewise also the good works [of some] are manifest beforehand; and they that are otherwise cannot be hid.

From my understanding, these are instructions to leaders or elders in the church.  I shall try to simplify how I understand this;  that there are those who sin, whose lifestyles display the obvious sin in their life, thus the ''judgement'' they encounter might be as a direct result of that sin in which they are bound, eg: alchoholism, addictions, etc... those which are obvious for all to see.

The second part ''and some men they follow after'' is those who might have secret sins, that are not openly visible for all to see, thus the judgement that ''they follow after'' would be an imminent fall from their ways.

In Galatians 5 we read:

19 - Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [these]; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 - Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 - Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Therefore, the obvious and not so obvious ones would be those mentioned above.

Then in Galatians 5 v 22 - 23: v But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 - Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
  This verse would relate to 1 Timothy 5 - Likewise also the good works [of some] are manifest beforehand; and they that are otherwise cannot be hid.

Please pardon me if this is a basic question, but from the above you can see what is my (limited) understanding and since I am corresponding with a friend, whose views differ quite from my own, I just needed to know prior to sending any information, what is correct.  

Thanking ''someone'' in advance   :)
Alexandra
Psalm 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Red

• Galatians 2:16
Re: 1 Timothy 5 v 24 & 25
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 06:15:21 AM »
Greetings Alexandra,

I believe for us to understand these two verses, we need to follow the flow of Paul's words to Timothy.

In verse 22 he Had said this:~"Lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men's sins:  keep thyself pure."

According to 1 Timothy 4:14~it was a custom of the early church to lay their hands on men whom they approved for the work of the ministry, by the presbytery. So, the apostle is exhorting Timothy for him to not do lay hands on other men too quickly, lest you be partakers of other men sins who have done this. To encourage help him in not doing this, he said what he did in verses 24 and 25.

At one time, I thought that the judgment mentioned in v24, was the final judgment at the great white throne of Almighty God. But a closer consideration of this verse will prove otherwise. The judgment is man's judgment~one that men like Timothy must use when considering one for the work of the ministry.

Some men sins are so open, going before others, before they judge them, that it would not take much work to see that they are not men that one would lay hands on for this holy work. Other men, after a carefully examination, will follow them!

The SAME IS TRUE OF OF GOOD WORKS~in verse 25. So, lay hands suddenly on NO MAN~use the proper path of a godly judgment, and you should be safe, otherwise, you will be partakers of other men's sins, who are too hasty in laying on of hands.

Red Baker
"And he shewed me a pure river of water, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb."~Revelation 22:1

In the world to come~there WILL BE "pure pleasures"~river/tree=all that is needed to sustain us Forever! Joy, peace, etc.

Puritan Heart

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 04:01:03 PM »
Hello Red,
I do thank you for your explanation. Your reply has well answered my initial question and again I am reminded that 'context-context-context' is one of the golden rules of stuyding and interpretation of the Scriptures, right?? You mentioned ''the flow'' of the scriptures - thanks for the reminder  :)  I did read it shortly after you had posted, but needed to fully understand it's meaning.  I believe I now do!

However, another issue has arisen in that this answer has now given rise to additional questions in my mind, related to this scripture and it's relevance to the times in which we, the church finds itself.  I realise that for many of us, there is no longer the ordination of the laying on of hands for certain leaders in the church.... or is my assumption incorrect??, however, this would then signify that this scripture would mean added caution on our parts as the Remnant or Elect - OUTSIDE of the church, as we read in Revelation 18 v 4: - And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.  

So, since we are 'out' of the corporate church, scripture still says that:   2nd Timothy 3 v 16: All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:  

How is this then applicable to those of us, who, live our Christian lives, at times seemingly feeling the pain that Elijah felt:  

2 Kings 19 v 14: And he said, I have been very jealous for the LORD God of hosts: because the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, [even] I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.

to which Our God so very Graciously and Mercifully replies:

v 18: - Yet I have left [me] seven thousand in Israel, all the knees which have not bowed unto Baal, and every mouth which hath not kissed him.

I do realise that this 7000 is representative of the entire Elect Body of Christ - however my question is:  

since we as the Elect / Remnant Body of Christ no longer live as the New Testament church, for we certainly live in (what seems to me to be) unprecedented times in history, is it correct to say that our responsibility of discernment is so much greater for us...since we no longer have the unity of the body of Christ, in the sense that we have not the teaching and exhortation or the ''unity in numbers'' that they had then??

I realise I am taking a risk by posting these thoughts, but hopefully you are able to understand what I try to ''say''  

I thank you in anticipation  :)
Alexandra

Puritan Heart

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 08:19:34 AM »
Hello again Red,
Pardon me if this sounds facetious, but methinks I am answering my own questions, since receiving the article on ''Mystery, Babylon the Great'' from yourself.  I must give it more thought and then shall present my answers and hopefully we can discuss further, ok?  However should you have some answers in the meantime, all the help I get I am most grateful for.  :)

Thanks so much,
Alexandra

Red

• Galatians 2:16
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 08:58:11 AM »
[quote author=Puritan Heart l
Pardon me if this sounds facetious, but methinks I am answering my own questions, since receiving the article on ''Mystery, Babylon the Great'' from yourself. [/quote]

I already consider that and will wait, until you are finished with the article.

RB
"And he shewed me a pure river of water, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb."~Revelation 22:1

In the world to come~there WILL BE "pure pleasures"~river/tree=all that is needed to sustain us Forever! Joy, peace, etc.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]