[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: "David" a man after God's own heart?  (Read 2350 times)

burrisd

"David" a man after God's own heart?
« on: October 07, 2010, 07:05:24 PM »
Have you ever wondered how David could be a man after God’s own heart? Of course you have, and as soon as you question it, you get a quick response from a seasoned Christian that it must be true. Everyone knows it, but what do the scriptures really teach? Here is the basic reference that declares that “David” was a man after God’s own heart:

Acts 13:20-23
20 And after that he gave unto them judges about the space of four hundred and fifty years, until Samuel the prophet.
21 And afterward they desired a king: and God gave unto them Saul the son of Cis, a man of the tribe of Benjamin, by the space of forty years.
22 And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will.
23 Of this man's seed hath God according to his promise raised unto Israel a Saviour, Jesus:

Read the passage through a couple of times and you can see that it is speaking of the history of the leadership of Israel with the Judges then the first two kings are mentioned.  Then the scripture says that God gave testimony to David that He had found “David the son of Jesse”, who was a man after His own heart and that would fulfill all God’s Will.  Verse 23 then explains that of this man’s seed (David’s seed), who was Jesse’s seed God raised up our Savior, Jesus.  It truly is Jesus that the passage refers to who was the man after God’s own heart.  This must be true, because Jesus is the only one who fulfilled all God’s Will.  There are many scriptures that speak of the fact that Jesus came to fulfill all God’s Will:

Ps 40:6-8
6 Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire; mine ears hast thou opened: burnt offering and sin offering hast thou not required.
7 Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me,
8 I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.

This Psalm king David wrote in prophecy and the “I” or first person is Jesus speaking.  We know this is true from:

Heb 10:5-10
5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:
6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.
7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.
8 Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;
9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.
10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

John 4:34 Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.

Here are a couple more references:

John 6:38-40
38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.
39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.
40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

It is difficult to see in Acts 13:22, because, why would He use the name “David” when giving Testimony to David about Jesus?  It is confusing but we will look at some other scriptures that will help clarify this.  First, we will look at the scriptures that could be the Testimony that God gave to David about the man after His own heart that would fulfill all His Will.  The first is actually to Saul from the prophet Samuel:

1 Sam 13:13-14
13 And Samuel said to Saul, Thou hast done foolishly: thou hast not kept the commandment of the LORD thy God, which he commanded thee: for now would the LORD have established thy kingdom upon Israel for ever.
14 But now thy kingdom shall not continue: the LORD hath sought him a man after his own heart, and the LORD hath commanded him to be captain over his people, because thou hast not kept that which the LORD commanded thee.

This scripture is also making reference to Jesus because, while David was King of Israel for a time, only Jesus is the captain over all God’s People including all the Gentiles He has called by His Name.  But, this also was not testimony given to David.  The testimony given to David is the prophecy given to him by God that mostly comes out as prophecy in the Psalms:

Ps 2:6-8
6 Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion.
7 I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.
8 Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession.

This passage is talking about Jesus, but it doesn’t mention the name David.  It is of note that although the writer was human, he was speaking or writing for God and the “I” in verse 6 refers to God who sets Jesus upon His holy hill of Zion.  Then in verse 7, it is still God speaking and declaring a decree and the decree is still God speaking as Jesus stating what the LORD said unto Him.  This is a very confusing use of Grammar, but it is what God used in His Word. The next reference does use the name “David” and it is referring to Jesus:

Ps 89:3-4
3 I have made a covenant with my chosen, I have sworn unto David my servant,
4 Thy seed will I establish for ever, and build up thy throne to all generations. Selah.

One might argue here that “David” refers to David here because God did promise that Jesus would come from David and we know that only those who are in Christ are Christ’s Descendants and are the ones who have everlasting life, but the passage continues:

Ps 89:19-37
19 Then thou spakest in vision to thy holy one, and saidst, I have laid help upon one that is mighty; I have exalted one chosen out of the people.
20 I have found David my servant; with my holy oil have I anointed him:
21 With whom my hand shall be established: mine arm also shall strengthen him.
22 The enemy shall not exact upon him; nor the son of wickedness afflict him.
23 And I will beat down his foes before his face, and plague them that hate him.
24 But my faithfulness and my mercy shall be with him: and in my name shall his horn be exalted.
25 I will set his hand also in the sea, and his right hand in the rivers.
26 He shall cry unto me, Thou art my father, my God, and the rock of my salvation.
27 Also I will make him my firstborn, higher than the kings of the earth.
28 My mercy will I keep for him for evermore, and my covenant shall stand fast with him.
29 His seed also will I make to endure for ever, and his throne as the days of heaven.
30 If his children forsake my law, and walk not in my judgments;
31 If they break my statutes, and keep not my commandments;
32 Then will I visit their transgression with the rod, and their iniquity with stripes.
33 Nevertheless my lovingkindness will I not utterly take from him, nor suffer my faithfulness to fail.
34 My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips.
35 Once have I sworn by my holiness that I will not lie unto David.
36 His seed shall endure forever, and his throne as the sun before me.
37 It shall be established for ever as the moon, and as a faithful witness in heaven. Selah.

This passage seems like the name “David” mentioned in verse 20 could still be referring to King David until you read down to verses 27-37. King David was not made God’s firstborn, but Jesus is.

Rom 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Col 1:12-18
12 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:
13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:
14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.
18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

King David is not higher than the kings of the earth, but King Jesus is:

Ps 2:10-12
10 Be wise now therefore, O ye kings: be instructed, ye judges of the earth.
11 Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling.
12 Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him.

Ps 72:11 Yea, all kings shall fall down before him: all nations shall serve him.

Rev 19:16 And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.

So, upon further study, we see that there are references in the scriptures where God gave testimony (prophecy) to King David who wrote the inspired prophecy in the Psalms and the prophecy uses the name “David” in reference to Jesus.  This is the same acknowledgement in Acts 13:22 (22 And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will.) There are many more scriptures to reference in this study, but this is an adequate start. May God continue to bless us with understanding.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]