[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Did Jephthah Sacrifice His Daughter?  (Read 16836 times)

Betty

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Re: Did Jephthah Sacrifice His Daughter?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 08:26:21 AM »
This takes humility indeed; not arrogance as some choose to believe.  What's truly arrogant is to substitue God's Word with our own, or to superimpose our own fleshly and limited ways of thinking onto the mind of God.  Some even seem to forget that God does not answer to man, but rather man answers to God; He is the supreme authority whose judgments and ways can be none other than righteous.

So you think Andreas and my view is arrogant because we don't believe a literal interpretation is what is there? Are you so intolerant of our views that if they don't agree with yours, then we're trying to impose our will on God? That's not right.

And Jephthah certainly did Love God.

Where do you read that? If he had so much love for God, then why did he kill his daughter in his twisted view of love of God. You see, he couldn't have killed her. Because that would not be love.

assurance that even death cannot separate us from the love of God. 

So we can kill our kids and still be good Christians? Sounds like the terrorist idea of God to me, not Christian.

Betty

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 08:38:10 AM »

Theo said concerning Andreas & Rose:
Here's my take on it. Rose I never agree with because I am thoroughly opposed to the liberal Christian philosophy she espouses. And after looking at that forum, I say anyone who goes to it, good riddance.

When you say liberal Christians, do you mean the type that doesn't believe good men kill their daughters?

Exo. 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.

Gen. 9:6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 12:55:27 PM »
Where do you read that? If he had so much love for God, then why did he kill his daughter in his twisted view of love of God. You see, he couldn't have killed her. Because that would not be love.

Betty, Betty, Betty.  Don't you ever know what is love of God is?  Is it feeling? Humanistic love?

Do your homework in the Bible and find out what it really mean to love God, rather than depends on your 'emotions'. 

Erik
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

judykanova

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2009, 02:22:11 AM »
This takes humility indeed; not arrogance as some choose to believe.  What's truly arrogant is to substitue God's Word with our own, or to superimpose our own fleshly and limited ways of thinking onto the mind of God.  Some even seem to forget that God does not answer to man, but rather man answers to God; He is the supreme authority whose judgments and ways can be none other than righteous.

So you think Andreas and my view is arrogant because we don't believe a literal interpretation is what is there? Are you so intolerant of our views that if they don't agree with yours, then we're trying to impose our will on God? That's not right.

Hey Betty,
I can't answer for you, you have to answer for yourself.  I was speaking in general terms of when any one of us 1) substitutes God's Word with our own, or 2) superimpose our own fleshly limited ways of thinking onto the mind of God

If you read my message in its entirety then you know that I also said "Honest seeking for truth can be done in the spirit of kindness even as we sometimes disagree".

And Jephthah certainly did Love God.

Consider....

Joh 14
15  If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Joh 14
23  Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Num 30
1  And Moses spake unto the heads of the tribes concerning the children of Israel, saying, This is the thing which the LORD hath commanded.
If a man vow a vow unto the LORD, or swear an oath to bind his soul with a bond; he shall not break his word, he shall do according to all that proceedeth out of his mouth.

assurance that even death cannot separate us from the love of God. 

So we can kill our kids and still be good Christians? Sounds like the terrorist idea of God to me, not Christian.

Huh??  This is so illogical and self-serving that it doesn't even deserve a response.

judy
'For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.'   Ps 119:89

Betty

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2009, 04:28:56 AM »

Huh??  This is so illogical and self-serving that it doesn't even deserve a response.

judy

Is this what you call speaking the truth in love? It is not illogical. You're claiming that Jephthah killed his daughter because he loved God. Isn't that correct? Well, the religious terrorists claim they kill their children as suicide bombers, and kill other innocent people because they love God too. Now how is that statement illogical and and not deserve an answerr? I can only assume that when you don't have an answer, you call names. I am not illogical, what I said is perfectly logical.

Betty

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009, 04:32:29 AM »
Betty, Betty, Betty.  Don't you ever know what is love of God is?  Is it feeling? Humanistic love?

Erik, Erik, Eric. Are we not humans? Who made us human? Who gave us love? Are we not to look at a man killing his daughter as sin?

Be awake to righteousness and keep yourselves from sin; for some have no knowledge of God: I say this to put you to shame. 1 Cor. 15:34

Do your homework in the Bible and find out what it really mean to love God, rather than depends on your 'emotions'. 

Erik

I'm not depending on emotion, I'm stating a fact. Good men don't kill their daughters. Wouldn't you agree? Answer the question.

Rose

• De 8:8 "A land of oil olive, and honey.."
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2009, 09:10:31 AM »

Thank you all for your answers, I'm just having a difficult time aiigning the righteousness of killing a young family member with simply breaking your word. One seems much worse rthan the other. No?
"I am the rose of Sharon, and the lily of the valleys." - S.O.S. 2:1

andreas

• Gold Member
  • Helpless, look to Thee for grace
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2009, 02:09:28 AM »
<<<This is an object lesson in faith,>>>

Yes, we are to consider his faith,which was of God.

32 And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets: Hebrews 11.

He traced all to God,the judge of all earth.

21 And the LORD God of Israel delivered Sihon and all his people into the hand of Israel, and they smote them: so Israel possessed all the land of the Amorites, the inhabitants of that country.
22 And they possessed all the coasts of the Amorites, from Arnon even unto Jabbok, and from the wilderness even unto Jordan.
23 So now the LORD God of Israel hath dispossessed the Amorites from before his people Israel, and shouldest thou possess it?
24 Wilt not thou possess that which Chemosh thy god giveth thee to possess? So whomsoever the LORD our God shall drive out from before us, them will we possess.
25 And now art thou any thing better than Balak the son of Zippor, king of Moab? did he ever strive against Israel, or did he ever fight against them,
26 While Israel dwelt in Heshbon and her towns, and in Aroer and her towns, and in all the cities that be along by the coasts of Arnon, three hundred years? why therefore did ye not recover them within that time?
27 Wherefore I have not sinned against thee, but thou doest me wrong to war against me: the LORD the Judge be judge this day between the children of Israel and the children of Ammon.Judges 11.

There is very little anyone can add to his faith.It is undeniable

<<<But Andreas has the opinion that a lot of Reformed Christians have. I don't agree with it, but she(Actually ,a He,not that there is anything the matter with it.) is entitled to that view>>>

Are we to suggest, however, that the Lord will accept human sacrifice,human blood, which Jephthah would offer?Human sacrifices were an abomination to the Lord.

35 But were mingled among the heathen, and learned their works.
36 And they served their idols: which were a snare unto them.
37 Yea, they sacrificed their sons and their daughters unto devils,
38 And shed innocent blood, even the blood of their sons and of their daughters, whom they sacrificed unto the idols of Canaan: and the land was polluted with blood. Psalm 106

5 Enflaming yourselves with idols under every green tree, slaying the children in the valleys under the clifts of the rocks?  Isaiah 57

21 And thou shalt not let any of thy seed pass through the fire to Molech, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God: I am the LORD. Leviticus 18

2 Again, thou shalt say to the children of Israel, Whosoever he be of the children of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn in Israel, that giveth any of his seed unto Molech; he shall surely be put to death: the people of the land shall stone him with stones. 
3 And I will set my face against that man, and will cut him off from among his people; because he hath given of his seed unto Molech, to defile my sanctuary, and to profane my holy name.
4 And if the people of the land do any ways hide their eyes from the man, when he giveth of his seed unto Molech, and kill him not: 
5 Then I will set my face against that man, and against his family, and will cut him off, and all that go a whoring after him, to commit whoredom with Molech, from among their people. Leviticus 20.

31 Thou shalt not do so unto the LORD thy God: for every abomination to the LORD, which he hateth, have they done unto their gods; for even their sons and their daughters they have burnt in the fire to their gods.Deuteronomy 12

10 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch.Deuteronomy 18.

To suggest, acceptance of the sacrifice,to suggest acceptance of something, that was strictly forbidden by the law,and was repugnant to God,is incredible.

Jephthah made a vow to the Lord,which was perfectly correct,and his right to do so.

1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When a man shall make a singular vow, the persons shall be for the LORD by thy estimation.
3 And thy estimation shall be of the male from twenty years old even unto sixty years old, even thy estimation shall be fifty shekels of silver, after the shekel of the sanctuary.
4 And if it be a female, then thy estimation shall be thirty shekels.
5 And if it be from five years old even unto twenty years old, then thy estimation shall be of the male twenty shekels, and for the female ten shekels.
6 And if it be from a month old even unto five years old, then thy estimation shall be of the male five shekels of silver, and for the female thy estimation shall be three shekels of silver.
7 And if it be from sixty years old and above; if it be a male, then thy estimation shall be fifteen shekels, and for the female ten shekels.
8 But if he be poorer than thy estimation, then he shall present himself before the priest, and the priest shall value him; according to his ability that vowed shall the priest value him. Leviticus 27.

He could either dedicate it to Jehovah as in Leviticus 27,or offer it, as a burned offering.The vow consists of two parts.the connecting Jewish particle ,vau,means, or.It should not be made to apply only to one object.Human sacrifices were unknown in Israel,although they were common to the heathen nations.How can you offer a human being to the Lord, when He finds such an act repugnant?

39 And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had vowed: and she knew no man. And it was a custom in Israel, Judges 11.

What has this to do with a burned offering?But it has everything to do with dedicating her to God.

40 That the daughters of Israel went yearly to lament the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite four days in a year. Judges 11.

They went to rehearse the righteous acts of God,not to mourn about her death.The word, lament, is only found in the same book of Judges.

11 They that are delivered from the noise of archers in the places of drawing water, there shall they rehearse the righteous acts of the LORD, even the righteous acts toward the inhabitants of his villages in Israel: then shall the people of the LORD go down to the gates.Judges 5.

The daughter was dedicated for life to the Lord.

andreas.

kai ean diabainhs dią udatos meta sou eimi kai potamoi ou sugklusousin se kai ean dielqhs dia puros ou mh katakauqhs flox ou katakausei Isaiah 43:2

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2009, 02:41:07 AM »
39 And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had vowed: and she knew no man. And it was a custom in Israel, Judges 11.

What has this to do with a burned offering?But it has everything to do with dedicating her to God

Andreas,

I do not think you read the context carefully. Read again:

Jdg 11:37-39
  • And she said unto her father, Let this thing be done for me: let me alone two months, that I may go up and down upon the mountains, and bewail my virginity, I and my fellows.
  • And he said, Go. And he sent her away for two months: and she went with her companions, and bewailed her virginity upon the mountains.
  • And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had vowed: and she knew no man. And it was a custom in Israel,

Jephthah's daughter was granted to go to the mountains to mourn about what will happen to her.  She knew that she is going to die before she could ever have baby of her own.  After her two months of mourning, she came to her father, Jephthah, "who did with her according to his vow which he had vowed" with God.  Do you know what vow Jephthah made with God without knowing who will came out of his house?  Burnt sacrifice or virginity? Listen to what Jephthah vowed with God:

Jdg 11:30-31
  • And Jephthah vowed a vow unto the LORD, and said, If thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands,
  • Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the LORD'S, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.

When Jephthah returned from battle, his daughter did came out of door first.  So, Andreas, how did Jephthah do with her daughter ACCORDING to his vow with God?  Burnt offering or keeping his daughter in virginity?  Nothing to do with Leviticus 27. 

God used this incident as a lesson for all of us, whether the vows we made with God for marriage, run office faithfully and honestly, etc.  We need to be careful.  Jephthah DID make vow with God that whatsoever came out of his house shall be offered to God for a burnt offering. Period. That is what SCRIPTURE SAID!  Jephthah did not replace burnt offering with something else that is acceptable to God.  Can you imagine what if it was not Jephthah's daughter that came out, but a goat? Cat? or even someone else who already lost their virginity? Come on! Jephthah was not thinking about virginity but BURNT OFFERING!  And obviously, his daughter was upset about it  but agreed to go along with his father, ACCORDING to his vow with God

Erik
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2009, 06:29:20 AM »
Jephthah made a vow to the Lord,which was perfectly correct,and his right to do so.

Jephthah made a vow to offer as a burnt offering the first thing that came out of his house upon his return. You seem to try awful hard not to admit that part. Nevertheless, that is the vow he made. And God's word, not mine, says that he kept the vow that he made unto God. A vow is a solemn oath. He kept that solemn oath that came out of his mouth. Again, not what I say, but what God's word says. You need to listen to God, not your own conscience or emotions.

What has this to do with a burned offering?But it has everything to do with dedicating her to God.

Oh I see. You want to do as Betty does, cut out whole portions of the word of God, so that you can hold onto your position? Lots of people do that on lots of verses. But that is not the righteous way to understand scripture.

Jg 11:30 And Jephthah vowed a vow unto the LORD, and said, If thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands,
 31 Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the LORD'S, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.

Obviously, it has everything to do with a burnt offering. And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had vowed. Get it? He did to her!!!! He did to her according to his vow that he vowed. Not your made up vow, but the vow he made. What has that to do with a burnt offering? Everything! If we receive the word of God faithfully.

40 That the daughters of Israel went yearly to lament the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite four days in a year. Judges 11.

They went to rehearse the righteous acts of God,not to mourn about her death.The word, lament, is only found in the same book of Judges.

Do I hear a Greek/Hebrew lesson coming on? Stop!

"Beware of gifts bearing Greek"

Whenever you cannot judge righteously, you trot out these Greek (and now Hebrew) lessons, as if we are all fools to be dissuaded by it.  The word lament means to honor, as in commemorating her because she offered herself in death, having never had a child. There is no call for you to try and manipulate this word in a vain attempt to change Jephthah's vow. And really, to change God's word concerning it.

11 They that are delivered from the noise of archers in the places of drawing water, there shall they rehearse the righteous acts of the LORD, even the righteous acts toward the inhabitants of his villages in Israel: then shall the people of the LORD go down to the gates.Judges 5.

For all your study, you know nothing about Hebrew or Greek. There shall they "commemorate" the righteous acts of the LORD, How do you "rehearse" the mighty acts of God?  You commemorate them, you speak them in celebration and honor. Gee Wiz Andreas, you are again doing what every other person I know who won't accept God's word does. They try to change it by manipulating the language, whether in Hebrew or Greek.  We see it over and over again, and it is very sad.

The daughter was dedicated for life to the Lord.

As Tony Warren would say, note the difference between your words quoted above, and God's word quoted below. Who are we do believe?

Jg 11:39
  "And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had vowed.."

What has that to do with a burnt offering you ask? Everything!  Let God be true and every man a Liar scripture says. We believe God's words quoted, not your personal humanistic interpretation of them. Faithful Christians don't seek to interpret for God, they allow God to interpret his own word.

Beechwood

• Fishers of Men
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2009, 10:41:10 AM »

...He could either dedicate it to Jehovah as in Leviticus 27, or offer it, as a burned offering.

andreas.

Come on Andreas, that's not what God's word says. Jephthah could not either do this or do that. He had to keep to his vow. You are adding to God's word. Stick to the text.

Revelation 22:18
 "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: "

Beechwood

• Fishers of Men
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2009, 10:56:06 AM »

Thank you all for your answers, I'm just having a difficult time aiigning the righteousness of killing a young family member with simply breaking your word. One seems much worse rthan the other. No?

His vow was not righteous, it was presumptuous, thus its consequences. Which, by the way, God allowed. God could have very easily stopped this at any time and released him from his vow and told him to sacrifice a Lamb. But he didn't. This is not about killing or murder, it is about faith. Why do you think Jephthah is listed in the book of Hebrews faith hall of fame? Because of his faith to do such a thing rather than to go back on his word to God. Would you have such faith? No? I rest my case! It is a glorious demonstration of this man's faith in God. God's commandment is that whatever you do, never break a vow to me. And by faith, Jephthah couldn't.

So don't try aligning the righteousness of killing his daughter with simply breaking his word, try aligning it with his love of God and his understanding that keeping God's commandment came above everything, even his daughter.

1st John 5:2
 "By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments".

How great was his love? So great, he is listed as a Hero of faith in the New Testament!

andreas

• Gold Member
  • Helpless, look to Thee for grace
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2009, 02:26:44 PM »
<<<Obviously, it has everything to do with a burnt offering. And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had vowed. Get it? He did to her!!!! He did to her according to his vow that he vowed. Not your made up vow, but the vow he made. What has that to do with a burnt offering? Everything! If we receive the word of God faithfully.>>>

Most of you stood on your soap boxes, and none addressed my concerns about the offering of human sacrifices to the Lord.You have all ignored the scriptures.Where does it say that God accepted the offer?Are we to suggest,  that the Lord will accept human sacrifice,human blood, which Jephthah would offer?Human sacrifices were, and are an abomination to the Lord.""He did to her according to his vow that he vowed."and the result of it was that she new no man.How convenient is to leave out that sentence.If she was a burned offering,why add ,and she new no man?Come off your soap box reformer and show me where does it say that God accepts that kind of sacrifice.Look at the provided scriptures and give us your opinion.I am here to be constructively corrected and not be hit on the head with a stick.

<<<For all your study, you know nothing about Hebrew or Greek.>>>

Alas,we can not all be as intelligent as you!

andreas.
kai ean diabainhs dią udatos meta sou eimi kai potamoi ou sugklusousin se kai ean dielqhs dia puros ou mh katakauqhs flox ou katakausei Isaiah 43:2

Joanne

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2009, 03:21:03 PM »

Most of you stood on your soap boxes, and none addressed my concerns about the offering of human sacrifices to the Lord.You have all ignored the scriptures.Where does it say that God accepted the offer?

No, they don't stand on their soap boxes, but the word of God. That is what they stand on. And I will stand on it also. Apparently, you don't like that. So you want to change the issue from what the word of God says took place, to what is acceptable to God. First you have to deal with what the word of God actually said, and accept that as truth, then we can deal with what is acceptable. But while you continue to deny what is so plainly written, then how can we move on to other issues? You are so wrapped up in the idea of human sacrifice that you can't even accept what is written.

Human sacrifices were, and are an abomination to the Lord.

So is going through a city and killing women and children and not sparing any of them, but that is what the Lord told Israel to do on occasion.

Now I ask you, what is the greater abomination. Deliberately going back on your solemn vow to Almighty God, something God very plainly commanded His people never ever to do, or carrying it out by making a burnt offering as he had had vowed. God commanded never to do this, but you say he should have. That is why Jephthah was more righteous than you. That is why he was recorded as a man of faith.  He understood the greater abomination! While you look upon his vow as something he should have just shrugged off and forced his daughter into being a female monk or join a nunnery, as if that would make his abomination go away or something.

Numbers 30:2 If a man vow a vow unto the LORD, or swear an oath to bind his soul with a bond; he shall not break his word, he shall do according to all that proceedeth out of his mouth.

You can try and remove God's word all you want, but it is very clear, is it not?

Judges 11:35 And it came to pass, when he saw her, that he rent his clothes, and said, Alas, my daughter! thou hast brought me very low, and thou art one of them that trouble me: for I have opened my mouth unto the LORD, and I cannot go back.

There you have it. He opened his mouth and cannot go back. You want to talk about abomination, start with going back on a vow you have vowed unto God. Start with That! So while you spend all this time trying to confuse the issue and make one sin greater than another, Jephthah had no such confusion. He knew he couldn't go back on his word to God. No matter what!

<<<For all your study, you know nothing about Hebrew or Greek.>>>

Alas,we can not all be as intelligent as you!

andreas.

I don't think it is about intelligence, but faithfully accepting what is written. At least he didn't attempt to change God's word by twisting the language in the original tongue. It has nothing to do with rehearsing, as if a play. You tried to make that jump because it was translated that in two places. In fact, the word rehearse doesn't even make sense in that context. No bible I know of translates it rehearse in that context.

[American Standard Version] (Judges 11:40)
that the daughters of Israel went yearly to celebrate the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite four days in a year.

It's celebrate here, as to commemorate, just like he said. He's faithfully looking at it, you seem to be looking for ways around it.

judykanova

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2009, 04:39:50 PM »
So we can kill out kids and still be good Christians? Sounds like the terrorist idea of God to me, not Christian.

judy

Is this what you call speaking the truth in love? It is not illogical. You're claiming that Jephthah killed his daughter because he loved God. Isn't that correct? Well, the religious terrorists claim they kill their children as suicide bombers, and kill other innocent people because they love God too. Now how is that statement illogical and and not deserve an answerr? I can only assume that when you don't have an answer, you call names. I am not illogical, what I said is perfectly logical.

Betty,

Kindness does not preclude the truth; otherwise it becomes decidedly unkind because the truth is compromised and the opportunity for spiritual growth and understanding is forfieted.

You changed the context to one of terrorism. by stating: 
"So we can kill out kids and still be good Christians? Sounds like the terrorist idea of God to me, not Christian."

This attempt to take my earlier statements -- regarding the assurance we have that physical death cannot separate us from the love of God -- out of context, and link them to terrorism, is beyond logic.  If you don't know the difference, then it's you who doesn't understand what being a Christian is.

Jephthah opened his big mouth and made a solemn and binding (albiet rash and vain) oath to God.  God did not require this of him, as the battle would have been won at God's hand.  Moreover, I believe he did something else that Scripture warns us against -- he tempted God.  Consider:

Luk 4
1  And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness,
2  Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended, he afterward hungered.
3  And the devil said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, command this stone that it be made bread.
4  And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.
5  And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.
6  And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it.
If thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be thine.
8  And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.
9  And he brought him to Jerusalem, and set him on a pinnacle of the temple, and said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down from hence:
10  For it is written, He shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee:
11  And in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.
12  And Jesus answering said unto him, It is said, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.
13  And when the devil had ended all the temptation, he departed from him for a season.

You see, we cannot isolate any one verse of Scripture, and take it out of context from what the Bible teaches as a whole.  We cannot isolate teachings regarding child sacrifice, from teachings regarding the keeping of a solemn oath to God. We cannot tempt God with ill conceived and self-serving oaths that bring us personal glory, without suffering the consequences of our actions.  Yet to Jephthah's credit, he honored his vow to God and endured the consequences.

Consider the trials of Job which, in my fleshly way of thinking, was hardly fair.  Job lived a godly life and didn't even tempt God with any rash oaths.  Yet God allowed him to be turned over to Satan and tried with the loss of all his children, loss of his earthly possessions, physical pain and illness, the contempt of peers, etc.  In his self-righteousness, Job railed against God.  Yet by the Grace of God, Job, having endured great tribulation, came to a greater understanding of God.  Namely, God is God and His judgments are wholly righteous... that the sun and moon are impure in His sight, much less man... that we have no righteousness outside of Christ -- for as Job came to see and declare by inspiration of the Holy Spirit -- "I know that my redeemer liveth"... that our faith and knowledge of God are strenthened by trails and chastisements -- "For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth." ... that repentance, obedience and humility are the true hallmarks of faith and Christianity.

Job 42
1  Then Job answered the LORD, and said,
2  I know that thou canst do every thing, and that no thought can be withholden from thee.
3  Who is he that hideth counsel without knowledge? therefore have I uttered that I understood not; things too wonderful for me, which I knew not.
5  I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee.
Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes. .. .

12  So the LORD blessed the latter end of Job more than his beginning: for he had fourteen thousand sheep, and six thousand camels, and a thousand yoke of oxen, and a thousand she asses.
etc.

As I said before, this fleeting life and physical death are too often viewed from the perspective of our fleshly minds instead of the mind of God...

1Pe 1
24  For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away:

We are too often short-sighted and earthbound in our thinking.  Yet this earth is not our home.  The Bible likens us to pilgrims in a strange land.  Here we will undergo chastisements and trails of fire, to refine and prepare us for our true home in heaven where we shall reign with Christ for all eternity.  As such we trust that God knows what He is doing, even as he allowed Jephthah to keep his vow rather than compound his sins of vanity and of tempting God, with the sin of disobedience.  For in the end, like Job, Jephthah is heralded as a hero of faith.  In the end, like Job, Jephthah and his daughter humbled themselves and bowed to God's authority.  In the end God workeh all things for good for those who love (obey) Him. 

If you reject the declarations of Scripture because, in your view, the sacrifice of Jephthah daughter would be like an act of terrorism, then you show a lack of understanding of what God is teaching, you mis-trust His absolute goodness, righteous judgments and boundless mercy, and you question His authority.

Jam 5
11  Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy.

judy
'For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.'   Ps 119:89

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]