[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Did Jephthah Sacrifice His Daughter?  (Read 16737 times)

Rose

• De 8:8 "A land of oil olive, and honey.."
Did Jephthah Sacrifice His Daughter?
« on: January 20, 2009, 09:19:41 AM »
Hi all,

Jg 11:30 And Jephthah vowed a vow unto the LORD, and said, If thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands,
 31 Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the LORD'S, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.

I have a question that is puzzling me. Why did Jephthah sacrifice his daughter? And perhaps, did Jephthah actually sacrifice his daughter? I've heard he never really sacrificed her. isn't human sacrifice forbidden in scripture?
"I am the rose of Sharon, and the lily of the valleys." - S.O.S. 2:1

Rick Reeves

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Re: Did Jephthah Sacrifice His Daughter?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 09:41:06 PM »
If your name was Halle, you'd probably get a FAQ written for you. As it stands, your out of luck.

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 12:40:46 PM »
>>>
If your name was Halle, you'd probably get a FAQ written for you. As it stands, your out of luck.
<<<

...actually, that is a very good question, so I will have a FAQ on it in a week or so. Thanks Rose and Rick!

nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

andreas

• Gold Member
  • Helpless, look to Thee for grace
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 01:51:06 AM »
<<<I have a question that is puzzling me. Why did Jephthah sacrifice his daughter? And perhaps, did Jephthah actually sacrifice his daughter? I've heard he never really sacrificed her. isn't human sacrifice forbidden in scripture?>>>

A few things to chew on, while a better response comes along.

Burned offerings had to be male.Jephthah had a daughter not a son.

18 Speak unto Aaron, and to his sons, and unto all the children of Israel, and say unto them, Whatsoever he be of the house of Israel, or of the strangers in Israel, that will offer his oblation for all his vows, and for all his freewill offerings, which they will offer unto the LORD for a burnt offering;
19 Ye shall offer at your own will a male without blemish, of the beeves, of the sheep, or of the goats. Leviticus 22

Human sacrifices were forbidden.

31 Thou shalt not do so unto the LORD thy God: for every abomination to the LORD, which he hateth, have they done unto their gods; for even their sons and their daughters they have burnt in the fire to their gods.Deuteronomy 12.

Burned offerings were associated with condemnation,not vows.

15 Thou shalt surely smite the inhabitants of that city with the edge of the sword, destroying it utterly, and all that is therein, and the cattle thereof, with the edge of the sword.
16 And thou shalt gather all the spoil of it into the midst of the street thereof, and shalt burn with fire the city, and all the spoil thereof every whit, for the LORD thy God: and it shall be an heap for ever; it shall not be built again. Deuteronomy 13.

The maiden was lamenting about not marrying,and not about dying.

37 And she said unto her father, Let this thing be done for me: let me alone two months, that I may go up and down upon the mountains, and bewail my virginity, I and my fellows.
38 And he said, Go. And he sent her away for two months: and she went with her companions, and bewailed her virginity upon the mountains.
Judges 11.

It is unlikely that the young maiden was sacrificed.It must have been a temple service, rather than a sacrifice.

andreas.
kai ean diabainhs dió udatos meta sou eimi kai potamoi ou sugklusousin se kai ean dielqhs dia puros ou mh katakauqhs flox ou katakausei Isaiah 43:2

Gilda

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 07:48:00 AM »

37 And she said unto her father, Let this thing be done for me: let me alone two months, that I may go up and down upon the mountains, and bewail my virginity, I and my fellows.
38 And he said, Go. And he sent her away for two months: and she went with her companions, and bewailed her virginity upon the mountains.
Judges 11.

It is unlikely that the young maiden was sacrificed.It must have been a temple service, rather than a sacrifice.

andreas.

As usual andreas, lately you seem to always attempt to use human logic to spin the bible any way you see fit. maybe in your Greek she wasn't sacrificed. But in my Bible, it clearly says she was. It is not unlikely that the young maiden was sacrificed, it is assured that she was. The bible says so. And it says so plainly. Some people don't like it, but that is what it says.

andreas

• Gold Member
  • Helpless, look to Thee for grace
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 04:44:00 PM »
<<<As usual andreas, lately you seem to always attempt to use human logic to spin the bible any way you see fit. maybe in your Greek she wasn't sacrificed. But in my Bible, it clearly says she was.>>>

We are told of a similar sacrifice when Hannah gave her son over to priesthood for the rest of his life.

11 And she vowed a vow, and said, O LORD of hosts, if thou wilt indeed look on the affliction of thine handmaid, and remember me, and not forget thine handmaid, but wilt give unto thine handmaid a man child, then I will give him unto the LORD all the days of his life, and there shall no razor come upon his head. 1 Samuel.

You seem to forget that, God makes no greater requirement, to all christians.We are spiritual burned offerings in the service of God.

11 Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord; Romans 12.

andreas.
kai ean diabainhs dió udatos meta sou eimi kai potamoi ou sugklusousin se kai ean dielqhs dia puros ou mh katakauqhs flox ou katakausei Isaiah 43:2

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 01:06:15 AM »
In case you did not know, Tony Warren has posted an article on this topic recently. You can read about it at http://www.mountain-retreat.org/faq/did_jephthah_sacrifice_his_daughter.shtml

Good study! 

Thanks, Tony.

Erik

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Apostolic

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 08:20:13 AM »
Oh Poowy!  I agree with Andreas. She was just made a virgin, that's all. Who is Tony anyway? No Christian should say anything is definite about theology, because everything is open to interpretation. What makes Tony Warren's interpretation any better than Kenneth Copeland, Pat Robinson or Billy Graham who has preached the gospel to Presidents? What's Tony's credentials?

This is nothing more than that old Reformed calvinistic stiff-necked legalistic preaching that is all but dead in the good Churches. Another 10 years and this website will be just a memory because people aren't listening to the old guard anymore. The bible has to be interpreted, not just read literally. That's what we have brains for. God is love, and he is not going to allow a girl to be sacrificed. Period!

[Bible in Basic English] Jude 1:2
"May mercy and peace and love be increased in you".

That's the God of Love.

Betty

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 09:21:35 AM »
I'm in full agreement with Andreas and Apostolic. There are many ways to interpret the bible, and for anyone to arrogantly say their interpretation is correct and others are not correct, shows pride. Andreas and Apostolic seem to have an open mind and don't take scripture literally every time. You all need to take a lesson from them. Because you really cannot do that and understand. I would welcome all with an open mind to join us at our forum.

http://christianforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=401

As Andreas said, we are spiritual burned offerings in the service of God. You can't take burnt offering literally when it shows no love. You have to interpret it so there is love.

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 11:09:44 AM »
What makes Tony Warren's interpretation any better than Kenneth Copeland, Pat Robinson or Billy Graham who has preached the gospel to Presidents? What's Tony's credentials?

Tony's credential is SCRIPTURE! Not how many years of school he went to.  Not bringing gospel to presidents.  Scripture is what Tony TESTIFY of as all true Christians should all be!

Another 10 years and this website will be just a memory because people aren't listening to the old guard anymore

I am afraid that you may be right.  It is because we may already be gone to be with Christ in the air within 10 years. People aren't listen to Scriptural Truth today because they went to those who see and buy with false prophets - Kenneth, Pat, etc.

You can't take burnt offering literally when it shows no love. You have to interpret it so there is love.

Love? You want Love? Do you know that in obedience to God is Love? Do you know that keeping vow to God is love? Jephthah has great faith because he kept his vow to God.  That is TRUE LOVE, not as world define it.

Erik
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 02:56:30 PM »
I'm in full agreement with Andreas and Apostolic.

You and the rest of the world. However, we are Christians here, and we're in agreement with the Bible. It alone is the word of God. It interprets itself. And it says she was sacrificed, according to his vow, as a burnt offering. NOW, in order for it to mean something else entirely, you and the world would have to show me scripture where that word is used for perpetual virginity, or other than a burnt offering. So give me scripture or give me silence, but keep the rhetoric to yourself.

There are many ways to interpret the bible,

Lies! There are not many ways to interpret the Bible. The Bible is its own interpreter. You and your worldly friends need to understand that.

and for anyone to arrogantly say their interpretation is correct and others are not correct, shows pride.

Yes, Tony covered that in his opening statement. I guess he knew that you all would replace a biblical retort with rhetoric. Is my interpretation of Christ as the vine arrogant, and my belief any other interpretation not correct arrogant, or justified? Hey, you stand for something or you fall for anything.

Andreas and Apostolic seem to have an open mind and don't take scripture literally every time. You all need to take a lesson from them.

An open mind to what? The way of the world in interpreting scripture any way they want? I'd rather stick to allowing the bible be its own interpreter.

Because you really cannot do that and understand. I would welcome all with an open mind to join us at our forum.

And I'm sure many with an open mind to the world will join you in your forum at that link. Your liberal brand of theology is very popular with the world. In the end, well see where it gets Yall!

As Andreas said, we are spiritual burned offerings in the service of God.

...what scripture are we burnt offerings, and why would that relate to Jephthah offering up, not himself, but his daughter? As a Burnt sacrifice, wholly consumed in the fire, holocaust offering? Stop trying to play God.

You can't take burnt offering literally when it shows no love.

I see. So your idea of what is love is the determining factor in interpretation of the Hebrew language? What baloney!

You have to interpret it so there is love.

Is that why you interpret the Bible so there is no sin in homosexuality, because if not, there is no love? How do you say, "in the Greek, it doesn't really mean homosexuality?" Baloney! Get your head straight sister.

Peng Bao

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 11:32:59 PM »
Amen Reformer! God Bless You! You say what I'm thinking!

I agree, I thought it was an excellent study, as opposed to the speculations that pass for studies in other answer pages. He sacrificed her as a burnt offering because that is what is written. We just have to accept what is written and not claim that makes him unrighteous.

Ecc 8:1 Who is as the wise man? and who knoweth the interpretation of a thing? a man's wisdom maketh his face to shine, and the boldness of his face shall be changed.

Time to let God be the authority, don't you think? Appreciate your posts.

Theo

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 01:24:48 PM »
Here's my take on it. Rose I never agree with because I am thoroughly opposed to the liberal Christian philosophy she espouses. And after looking at that forum, I say anyone who goes to it, good riddance.  But Andreas has the opinion that a lot of Reformed Christians have. I don't agree with it, but she is entitled to that view. A lot of good Christians hold it. And perhaps it is as supposed, a humanistic more compassionate view than biblical, but I think many have come to it honestly. And we have to keep in mind that no one comes to understand but by the grace of God. And that none of us are totally correct about everything. So lets be a little charitable.

And thanks for the Link Erik.

judykanova

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 11:24:43 PM »
In case you did not know, Tony Warren has posted an article on this topic recently. You can read about it at http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/faq/did_jephthah_sacrifice_his_daughter.shtml

Good study! 

Thanks, Tony.

Erik

Thanks Erik for letting us know this study was available; I've been waiting for it.

And thanks Tony for another great study that's firmly rooted in Scripture, and thereby pleasing to God albeit displeasing to some.   You said...

Quote from: Tony Warren
Are we not to testify not to what we want to hear, but that which the word of God says? I say with no arrogance, these theories of not sacrificing his daughter are all idle speculation, wishful thinking and unsupported rationalizations. Because to the truly objective reader, the bible makes it perfectly clear that Jephthah sacrificed his daughter as a burnt offering, even as he had vowed, rather than break his Covenant promise to God who had fulfilled His part of the bargain. And we can joy in the fact that not only was Jephthah a righteous man of faith, but so also was his daughter. As she willingly submitted herself to this. For unlike most today, she too understood that her father had opened his mouth unto God to promise this thing, and that he Could Not Go back. Here is also a woman of faith, who asked only for a month to mourn the fact that she had never married to bear seed, which would have been considered a shame in those days. To die without seed is like being cut off in the line of succession

This takes humility indeed; not arrogance as some choose to believe.  What's truly arrogant is to substitue God's Word with our own, or to superimpose our own fleshly and limited ways of thinking onto the mind of God.  Some even seem to forget that God does not answer to man, but rather man answers to God; He is the supreme authority whose judgments and ways can be none other than righteous.

The seriousness of broken vows unto God has been lost on today's generation, but it was not lost on Jephthah, nor on his daughter. And their faith was reckoned to them for righteousness. ...
In faith, Jephthah righteously chose to show allegiance and honor to God above all, even his only child. In true faith, God sacrificed His only Son, and in the faith of Christ, Jephthah would sacrifice his.

Amen.  God sacrificed His only Son, who took upon Himself the sins of many in order that we may be saved and our sins covered.    Are we above or exempt from personal sacrifice.  I think not...

Luk 6:40  The disciple is not above his master: but every one that is perfect shall be as his master.

Jephthah was not only a valiant warrior in battle, but in faith.  His faith humbles me.

And let's be clear, this event is not about murder, human sacrifice, abominations of molech or Jephthah's barbarism. Though many may try to make it so. This is an object lesson in faith, trust, confidence and obedience for God's children. All things work together for good to them that love God. That's a given. And Jephthah certainly did Love God. He proved it in deed, by sacrificing his only daughter "because" He could not bare to defraud God of what He had faithfully promised. In this "test of faith" Jephthah put his daughter in God's hands and trusted His divine providence over her. God had fulfilled Jephthah's conditions of the vow, and he could not go back on his word concerning his. And in our continuing instruction, God uses this as a teaching tool that we understand this test of faith, that we will not make or take our oaths to God lightly or carelessly. Because according to God's law, that we vow unto the Lord must be seen through to its fulfillment. Moreover, note that God never requested Jephthah to make this oath, Jephthah offered it on his own accord, hoping to bargain with God. And he is chastised for it. The text does not specifically condemn either Jephthah, or his vow, because it is ultimately a lesson by God and test of faith to demonstrate our total dependence upon Him. That he who loves world, money, father or mother, son or daughter, more than God, is not worthy of Him. Have we yet learned that lesson, or are we still in denial living like the world with the word's sensibilities?

As you well noted, it was not God who initiated or required the sacrifice of Jephthah's daugher.  It's was Jephthah rash and vain vow that set this in motion.  It's was Jephthah words (not God's) spoken as a solemn vow which, according to God's law, had to be kept.  This sacrifice is rightly seen as the consequence of Jephthah's unrighteous and rash behavior, which God nonetheless used as a teaching mechanism --which includes the principle and assurance that even death cannot separate us from the love of God. 

Rom 8
35  Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
36  As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
37  Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
38  For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
39  Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Jephthah's vow resulted in the death of his only child.  Yet we are assured that she was a child of God.  This brings to mind the consequences that David endured when his first son with Bathsheba was taken from him in infancy...

2Sa 12
13  And David said unto Nathan, I have sinned against the LORD. And Nathan said unto David, The LORD also hath put away thy sin; thou shalt not die.
14  Howbeit, because by this deed thou hast given great occasion to the enemies of the LORD to blaspheme, the child also that is born unto thee shall surely die.
15  And Nathan departed unto his house. And the LORD struck the child that Uriah's wife bare unto David, and it was very sick.
16  David therefore besought God for the child; and David fasted, and went in, and lay all night upon the earth.
17  And the elders of his house arose, and went to him, to raise him up from the earth: but he would not, neither did he eat bread with them.
18  And it came to pass on the seventh day, that the child died. And the servants of David feared to tell him that the child was dead: for they said, Behold, while the child was yet alive, we spake unto him, and he would not hearken unto our voice: how will he then vex himself, if we tell him that the child is dead?
19  But when David saw that his servants whispered, David perceived that the child was dead: therefore David said unto his servants, Is the child dead? And they said, He is dead.
20  Then David arose from the earth, and washed, and anointed himself, and changed his apparel, and came into the house of the LORD, and worshipped: then he came to his own house; and when he required, they set bread before him, and he did eat.
21  Then said his servants unto him, What thing is this that thou hast done? thou didst fast and weep for the child, while it was alive; but when the child was dead, thou didst rise and eat bread.
22  And he said, While the child was yet alive, I fasted and wept: for I said, Who can tell whether GOD will be gracious to me, that the child may live?
23  But now he is dead, wherefore should I fast? can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me.

It appears that verse 23 provides assurance that this child was saved, and shows how God works all things for good in the lives of those who belong to Him.  It is this great mercy of God --even when we mess up and sometimes suffer dire consequences -- , which should receive the focus it deserves, rather than placing undue focus on physical death. 

Although Scriptures don't provide details of the sacrifice itself, it is worth noting that his daughter gave no indication of fear.  She mourned because she would die without having had children of her own, but there is no indication of mourning or of fearing death itself.  So although the Scriptures provide no details of the actual sacrifice, I suspect (speculate) that she met death painlessly, as it was the custom to first slay a lamb (without blemish) which would then be offered as a burnt sacrifice -- a "sweet savour" unto the Lord.  It is no accident that this was Jephthah's only child, the firstborn, or that she was a virgin.

Physical death no longer has rule over true believers.  That is a bottom line truth that some seem to overlook when considering this account in the Bible.

Rev 1
18  I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

1Co 15
54  So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.
55  O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

Thanks again Tony for yet another well written and faithful study.  It behoves those who disagree to do so by making specific references to areas they question, and come with relevant Scriptures.  Honest seeking for truth can be done in the spirit of kindness even as we sometimes disagree.

judy
'For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.'   Ps 119:89

Diane Moody

• The Kingdom is Within You
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 05:45:31 PM »
A very good study. One that answered a lot of my questions, and gave me a lot of insight on why this was allowed by God. I understand it a lot better now. Thanks Tony.

As for the idea it means she would only be a virgin, where is the scripture for such a hypothesis? I have searched Google and came up with many articles on the subject, but not one with any real biblical basis for making that claim. Someone please post this proof text if it exists.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]