[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: 1 Corinthians 3:10-15 Question  (Read 1271 times)

Reformed2005

• Obviously I'm a Novice
1 Corinthians 3:10-15 Question
« on: November 12, 2008, 09:11:32 PM »
Hello, all!  In studying again 1 Corinthians, I came across a difficult passage, that I would appreciate some assistance with.

10According to the grace of God given to me, like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation, and someone else is building upon it.  Let each one take care how he builds upon it.  11For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.  12Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw - 13each one's work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done.  14If the work that anyone has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward.  15If anyone's work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire.

Here is my issue.  Every commentary I read explains that the passage is regarding other missionaries/preachers/etc that are in Corinth, but are not preaching the true Gospel.  I want to agree with this, being that I am a mere 30yrs old, and do not have the great knowledge of RC Sproul or John Calvin, or the like.  But, I have a hard time with this interpretation, and hope that someone can explain to me why it fits.

Here is my issue with this interpretation:

- In the passages preceding, Paul seems to be admonishing the Corinthian Church, the INDIVIDUAL PEOPLE, for divisions among themselves.  Why, then, when speaking of sound doctrine in one's mind, would Paul be applying the teachings to only the leaders of the Church?

- The letter is written to the Corinthian Church, and not to the leaders of the Corinthian Church.  Of course, the leaders of the Corinthian Church are included, but the letter was to be addressed to the entire congregation.  If this is true, why would a sudden, small part of the letter take such a different turn?

- "Let each one take care..."  This seems to be addressed to individuals building upon the knowledge they have already received, rather than church leaders/missionaries building upon the truths that Paul has already delivered.

- "each one's work will become manifest" & "the fire will test what sort of work each one has done" - These seem, again, to be applying to the work that an individual does in following Christ, and therefore how that person lives up to Christ's standard.  It does not appear to be applying to the work that a missionary / church leader performs.

- "If the work that anyone has built upon the foundation survives, he will receive a reward" - This is where I get tripped up in my thinking.  This phrase could VERY EASILY refer to the wisdom (God's or humanly) that is delivered to Christians.  When the fire tests the works, false doctrine will be gone.  OR, it could mean the individual's works in Christ, and the individual's knowledge of God.

- "If anyone's work is burned up, he will suffer loss..." - Again, as the above question I had, this seems to be able to apply to either an individual OR to a church leader.

Can someone please help?  I do not want to be on a "theological island", even on such a short passage, and want to be sure that I understand.

Thank you!!!

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
Re: 1 Corinthians 3:10-15 Question
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 09:16:44 AM »

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]